As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Extraction. Exploitation. Tubes. [Satisfactory]

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Well, I managed to unlock Tiers 7 and 8 yesterday.
    cjg25yb9om1d.jpg

This is the base I used to get there. It takes in the following 480 belts of materials: 3 Iron, 1 Copper, 2.5 Coal, 2 Limestone, 1 Caterium, plus an abbreviated line of Sulfur and 540 Crude Oil/min, and produces pretty much every product from each tier (including 5 Computers and 6 Heavy Modular Frames per minute), all shipped up to the roof and stored in a dedicated container for my use. Took me weeks to get everything set up properly and almost another full week just to get all the leftover stuff routed up top. To be fair, however, I had to keep pausing because I was butting up against my maximum power outputs, so I built 2 new power plants along the way.

I'm not sure how I want to go about making Aluminum though. I definitely need more power and I'd like to do a Turbofuel setup, but I would also like to use Blender recipes for that, which I can't until I have Aluminum Casings. I'd have to do a bootstrap aluminum setup because I don't have the power for a train network or all the machines needed for the 960 Aluminum Ingots/min I've sketched out. But there's no good location with all the stuff you need for Aluminum Ingots, and I really don't want to establish lines for a bunch of materials and then have to tear that all down when I need to build my "real" production. Plus, I need to figure out where I'm going to put that base. It's a real chicken/egg conundrum. I think my best option is to make do with Trucks until I get power sorted. I need Coal for Aluminum Ingots anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to dedicate some to keeping the cars running.

EDIT: For those of you eagle-eyed enough to spot the Assemblers and Manufacturer on the roof, that was a temporary setup I was using to make the Adaptive Control Units, the last bit of the Project Assembly to send up.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    For aluminum single-location production,try the high plateau just north of red bamboo, the crater lakes.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    For aluminum single-location production,try the high plateau just north of red bamboo, the crater lakes.

That's right where the base in the picture is located, actually, and I am considering putting my "bootstrap" aluminum factory there. Unfortunately, I've already tapped most of the local resources, so I'd need to belt in new lines of Coal and Limestone from pretty far away. I also don't have a ton of open flat land since I took up a huge chunk with that base. I wish you could blow up the stupid giant spore things in that area.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Decided to start a fresh game for various reasons! Starting in the Dune Desert, so i'm in a part of the map i've never even really explored. Should be interesting.

Edit: Stream over, but here's where it got in a couple of hours:
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false[img][/img]

Automated iron plate production, automated turning leaves and wood into solid biofuel, quick and dirty Caterium wire automation (Relies on manaul loading, but i need nobelsisk to free the node up, so... w/e not like i need much caterium yet). A lot of fun starting over with all the lessons learned from previous builds - you can see how much more organized this design.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    My new world is coming along. I'm neck deep in T3/T4 atm. Still havent set up coal power, but that's because i've been setting up all sorts of other things instead.

What i've been focusing on in place of that is a very distributed approach to building - setting up Mini-factories for various items over pure nodes, and building out. You can see the Reinforced Iron plate factory in the distance here, and i'm standing over what's going to be my Wire/Cable factory, with a temporary copper sheet setup.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

You can also see the little Way station design i've been using to keep my world aligned to a single grid and move power around. Eventually the goal is that all these factories will have train stations linking them and i'll have a giant train network, Amelie of the Sea style, as opposed to my previous A-B train setups.

It's still a very fun game!

Bonus picture, showing the way stations going across the desert to my starter steelworks
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

I'll probably build a warehouse eventually too, but i want to wait until i've a: got trains, and b: got enough different things being made to really justify that. Plus i want to come up with a good design for said warehouse - all my previous experiments have been pretty arse and struggled with lots of spaghetti, so i'm keen to avoid such.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I picked this up in the summer sale and have recently started messing around with it. I did the recommended starting area and am somewhere with 3 iron nodes right together, with 2 concrete nodes pretty close, and a copper node not too far away. I have a decent little setup going making iron plates, iron rods, screws, copper wire, and cables, as well as solid biofuel, and am kind of stuck on what to do next. The hub is pushing me towards getting copper sheets and rotors going, but the closest other copper node I can see is a good distance away. How do people typically handle things like that? Run belts and power lines all over the place and centralize your production, or start setting up smaller, self-contained production areas? I don't really relish the idea of running all over the place refilling burners, but I do like the idea of a central megafactory with satellite ore processing facilities that I use a train to bring in (eventually).

Also, what is the typical power path? I see coal and crude down the road. I typically like to have a single power grid that powers everything, but I don't know how feasible that is in this game.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I picked this up in the summer sale and have recently started messing around with it. I did the recommended starting area and am somewhere with 3 iron nodes right together, with 2 concrete nodes pretty close, and a copper node not too far away. I have a decent little setup going making iron plates, iron rods, screws, copper wire, and cables, as well as solid biofuel, and am kind of stuck on what to do next. The hub is pushing me towards getting copper sheets and rotors going, but the closest other copper node I can see is a good distance away. How do people typically handle things like that? Run belts and power lines all over the place and centralize your production, or start setting up smaller, self-contained production areas? I don't really relish the idea of running all over the place refilling burners, but I do like the idea of a central megafactory with satellite ore processing facilities that I use a train to bring in (eventually).

Also, what is the typical power path? I see coal and crude down the road. I typically like to have a single power grid that powers everything, but I don't know how feasible that is in this game.

Single grids work just fine. Most folks beeline for coal as you can automate power production and move away from biofuel. For a while you'll be stringing power lines everywhere but eventually you'll get trains and their track acts as a power line, so you don't have to have map spanning wires.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    There's honestly no reason to make multiple power grids. There's no upper limit to how much a single grid can support.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Definitely beeline coal power. Centralised vs. Decentralised production is more a matter of preference; both are viable. I would say decentralised production is probably easier to plan and build and later expand on though. You can always have shit being made all over the place and then route the products to one central location rather than actually building everything in one place. That said, you can 100% build one big mega factory in a single location.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Important to note that railroad tracks will carry power, so you can use that in the later game to connect up your various factories in both power and materials.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    also to answer the question of how to get parts where you want them, you can absolutely just run belts wherever you feel like. doing this can be a minor headache way down the line when you start running rails, but probably not.

I would say that on-site manufacturing is generally fine, but any parts that you'll actually need for construction are things that you'll want to send back to a central place.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Belts can be a great way to travel too, whether running on them or just riding fast ones.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Have the devs mentioned anything about a possible blueprint system ala Factorio? I much prefer using designs made by people way smarter than me.

• Options
    Have the devs mentioned anything about a possible blueprint system ala Factorio? I much prefer using designs made by people way smarter than me.

They have, in the past, stated they do not intend to implement this type of system. They don’t want to make it that easy to place bazillions of 3D assets. It causes enormous performance issues.

• Options

Long story short is that the engine kinda chugs when placing large amounts of stuff at the same time, so right now it appears to be mostly in the realm of mods. They may have said they're looking at putting something like that into the game though.

• Options
    That makes sense. Still, it'd be nice to have maybe a limited version. Either that, or a way to cut and paste a group of things, just to make rearranging easier.

• Options
    Don’t quote me on this but I think I recall hearing them say that they want to make it easier/less tedious to place foundations

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Don’t quote me on this but I think I recall hearing them say that they want to make it easier/less tedious to place foundations

Quoted, thanks

• Options
    The next update is supposed to focus heavily on building tools from what they've indicated.

The smart mod is a godsend if you're not running unstable

• Options
    In general while i think a full on blueprint system might be bad (Because part of the fun of these games is building your own custom soloution to w/e), the game defintely needs something to cut down on the tedium of building the same thing repeteadly - That's honestly what killed my last save, i looked at where i was and went "Okay, so i need to build approximatively a zillion refineries", and then you gotta plug em all in with pipes AND conveyor belts and....

It's a Lot. Especially if you're like me and you really like to be aesthetic on things as you go

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    there's a lot of vertical plans that would hugely benefit from being able to just drop a new floor when you need it

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »
    there's a lot of vertical plans that would hugely benefit from being able to just drop a new floor when you need it

I really need to be way better about building vertical than i currently am - i hate how dark it is at night with vertical plans. Lights help, but they're still a pain to setup and another Thing to juggle for aesthetics.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I would kill for some premade right angled belt and pipe turns

I know how to make them by hand but just having them as a separate part would be amazing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I know how to make them by hand but just having them as a separate part would be amazing

laying down a like, 80 degree is so fucking annoying

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Pipes are one of the worst parts in the game currently.

I'd also like some way to default to placing down Stackable conveyor poles/pipes than the current approach, too - it rapidly gets a lot easier (and more sane) to use those or do underfloor busses than just using the normal connectors. Stackable pipe splitters would be a godsend as well.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    yeah I hate not being able to change my default pedestals to stackables. Adds a huge amount of unnecessary tedium in a way that does not feel satisfactory

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Yeah. It's basically purely the building experience that needs tweaks in this game.

I genuinely think one of the secrets of why Minecraft hit it off so hard is that it's building experience (And most of it's digging experience) is So. Damn. Simple.

• Options
    Thanks for the Smart mod suggestion. I relocated my main base to an area with better nodes, as well as made a coal power plant over by some coal nodes, and that has made building the platforms and my skyroads so much easier.

• Options
    Looks like we're starting to get update 5 teases.

https://youtu.be/2-JM_JP8RNc

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Are servers a thing yet?

I don't care for the advanced parts of the game but do I ever love setting up infrastructure for other people.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Are servers a thing yet?

I don't care for the advanced parts of the game but do I ever love setting up infrastructure for other people.

Not yet. Getting servers running requires them to fix multiplayer and that's something that's been slow to work on.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    love the new northern forest look, feels like home

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Just started up a new game after months away in the Forest and I love the area. The pure iron and copper nodes right next to eachother are really nice too

Mulletude on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Maybe I'll actually be able to navigate the forest now. Something about the current design throws off my internal compass something fierce.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    I have finally set up coal power in the forest region. Only 4 coal plants so far but having an automated power source again means I can tear down the jumbled starter mess of a factory and start designing something I don't hate.

The 5 pure iron nodes I've found so far all need to be routed to a start point I haven't decided on yet. My main issue is going to be getting coal all the way over to start making steel. May just have to haul it on foot until I can make enough stuff to get mark 2 miners and level 3 belts.

Am completely absorbed by this game again

• Options
    New video talking about map changes coming in update 5 and later.

https://youtu.be/MxvGbCCc6DI

• Options
    I have 3 sets of coal plants up and running with varying designs on how they're fed.

Been getting 1-2 plants just dropping out intermittently.

Took a while to realize it was 2 and 3 in the chain of 7 I initially set up. They just weren't getting enough water. This felt odd because the remaining 4 down the line and 1 weren't having issues.

Finally just set up some fluid buffers and ran lines to splitters just in front of these 2 and now things seem fine. Pumps, etc didn't help but this does.

My other two coal plant groups are zero problems so I just won't go back to that original design again. 1200 MW vs a usage of 650 max should mean I don't have to fuck with this for a while.

• Options
    @Undead Scottsman - Curse you! I was coming to post that.

Really interested to see what they do to the Spire coast.

• Options
    I do love that northern canyon/spires coast area but it's definitely got a lot of potential for improvement, so I'm glad it's on their roadmap for major revision.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I often build huge coal power plants and oil facilities out on that northern oil coast, also very curious about future changes there. Update 5 changes look cool so far!

Al_wat on