As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Pokémon] Thread! Sword & Shield OUT NOW!!

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    if anyone has a star sweet, or I guess an alcremie with a star sweet decoration, please, please trade it to me before I go insane

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I've got one. Well, three, actually. Give me your FC, I have friend requests disabled.

SW-2034-3659-4220

Do you want anything in particular in return?

I'm trying to get all 63 forms of Alcremie (deep sigh) so I'll take as many star decorated versions as possible if they're different body colours

sig.gif
    edited June 2021
    Well, if you've got uncommon Pokémon with egg moves and decent number of 31s, that'll do. I'll hop online.

RockinX on
    RockinX wrote: »
    Well, if you've got uncommon Pokémon with egg moves and decent number of 31s, that'll do. I'll hop online.

I'm sure I do but it would take me some time to actually sort through everything that I tossed into Home

I definitely have some with egg/tutor moves from the gen 3/4 games in there somewhere, if you like we could trade for trash now and I'll dig up something better later?

sig.gif
    Sure. I set up the code 1337 8008

Thanks, that has saved me literally hours of time

I think at best the cram-o-matic must have a 2% chance of spitting out a star sweet

sig.gif
    NP. I probably got mine from one of those promotional G-Max raids.

yo wait a sec

doesn't Home give out a shiny Magearna if you complete the national dex?

If that's still happening it actually would be useful to just touch trade the final 3 I'm missing: Diancie, Volcanion & Magearna

sig.gif
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    It's not a shiny Magearna, it's the alternate forme. Still amounts to the same thing, being just a cooler looking color palette.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yay @RockinX
    Been missing you! Still have the Gengar you gave me (Guasona), it's up to Pokemon Sword now.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    It's been a while, haha. I didn't even remember the existence of that Gengar XD

• InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    Everybody thank @RockinX for his generosity over the years!
    The first, I believe, was my Perfect IV Shiny starmie nicknamed PSYKEDELIC. Or that's my favorite anyway, but there's perfect shiny metagross and perfect adamant/modest Dittos.
    All from many generations ago.
    I'd list them all but I'd have to pay for Nintendo Online again.

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I decided Solgaleo would be my next dynamax adventure hunt and 200 Successful raids in (and probably more fails.)

All i feel is pain and regret.

oh
    my
    arceus
    whoever created and designed the Raikou and Entei encounters in Soul Silver should be slapped with a trout.

it's made to be as annoying as humanly possible. Not only they're roamers that you must approach by land or water (no Fly), they of course run away first round... if you use mean look, it barely lasts 3 rounds and they ALSO have Roar, anyway.
    i got both down to low yellow hp, but it's still too high to catch them even with Sleep and Duskballs at night, and every time i mean looked and slept them with a Gengar, as soon as I swap in any other pokemon to do a couple of weak hits and get them down to red, they either escape WHILE SLEEPING or wake up and use Roar.

camo_sig2.png
    ha yeah I went through that shit last year when I started using Home and decided to transfer everything I could over from all my gen 3/4/5 games

turns out there were a lot of legendaries I never bothered catching, and a lot of them were roamers

thankfully i've got a Smeargle with block, false swipe and spore

sig.gif
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    i got both down to low yellow hp, but it's still too high to catch them even with Sleep and Duskballs at night, and every time i mean looked and slept them with a Gengar, as soon as I swap in any other pokemon to do a couple of weak hits and get them down to red, they either escape WHILE SLEEPING or wake up and use Roar.

https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/runaway

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg

https://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic/runaway

Y E S
    that's 100% it.
    every last detail

camo_sig2.png
    There is a good reason roaming encounters haven't come back. NO ONE liked them.

@RockinX

I've been slowly trying to label all of my Home-ies and so far the only thing that sticks out in legacy egg moves is a Clefable with Softboiled & Seismic Toss

not exactly gold but you're welcome to have it

sig.gif
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    RockinX wrote: »
    There is a good reason roaming encounters haven't come back. NO ONE liked them.

You know, I think they could bring them back if they combined them with Sword and Shield's "you can see the Pokemon on the field" thing. Like, if you saw one of the legendary dogs running passed you and you had to chase it down/catch it to engage the fight. That could be fun.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Rami wrote: »
    @RockinX

I've been slowly trying to label all of my Home-ies and so far the only thing that sticks out in legacy egg moves is a Clefable with Softboiled & Seismic Toss

not exactly gold but you're welcome to have it
    I think I may have that one already, haha. Don't worry about it. I wasn't going to use the thing anyway.

I also just recently discovered if you want to use previous gen pokemon in sw/sh you have to wipe all of their moves and move memory anyway so legacy moves aren't even usable

it's extremely annoying, primarily not knowing if this is going to become standard for future titles. If it is, then fine I guess wipe them and just go with what is available that gen. But if I wipe some legacy egg move from gen IV and then in gen IX they decide I don't have to wipe it anymore it's really going to sting

sig.gif
    Rami wrote: »
    I also just recently discovered if you want to use previous gen pokemon in sw/sh you have to wipe all of their moves and move memory anyway so legacy moves aren't even usable

it's extremely annoying, primarily not knowing if this is going to become standard for future titles. If it is, then fine I guess wipe them and just go with what is available that gen. But if I wipe some legacy egg move from gen IV and then in gen IX they decide I don't have to wipe it anymore it's really going to sting

That's only for ranked battles.

well the two of the Dark versions Legendary Birds were kinda roamy, but they were fine
    problem with HGSS roamers is that not only they roamed randomly and moved away if you used fly, they would also ALWAYS try to run away and had extremely annoying movesets, that were designed to be as obnoxious as possible in those circumstances, particularly ROAR.

one of the regular Platinum legendaries also had a horrible set, including Refresh and a self-heal. So it would keep removing paralysis (if you tried it) and refilling the HP.

so much stuff in Gen4 feel like it was made to aggravate us. It's not a intelligence or raw power challenge.

camo_sig2.png
    This is fun
    https://youtu.be/McB4lCnAips

Lot of details that maybe haven't been mentioned before, or things that probably are no longer canon (but this book was official so it was canon at the time). There are a lot of references to the real world and real animals, suggesting originally Pokémon were something "extra" discovered in our world (this is also probably why the anime references real places and shows normal animals at times).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    This is fun

Lot of details that maybe haven't been mentioned before, or things that probably are no longer canon (but this book was official so it was canon at the time). There are a lot of references to the real world and real animals, suggesting originally Pokémon were something "extra" discovered in our world (this is also probably why the anime references real places and shows normal animals at times).

Early on there was a suggestion pokemon came from space and Deoxys seems to be the end result of that. Gen 4 completely throws that out though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Given what you can do with them, I don't think they could possibly be anything other than nanite swarms.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Is there a Pokemon Unite thread?

...should I make a Pokemon Unite thread?

KoopahTroopah on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm still not sold on Pokemon Unite

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I watched some gameplay videos, and it seems like an easy to start quick-play MOBA similar to HOTS. Just excited to play a new MOBA on my Switch featuring pokemans.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Is anyone still playing Pokemon Go by any chance? I just need one new friend to complete the Go Fest tasks. My friend code is 3174 2358 0435.

Edit: Thanks, got it!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular

Please do! I was thinking about it but I don't have time. I'm super psyched for it.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I watched some gameplay videos, and it seems like an easy to start quick-play MOBA similar to HOTS. Just excited to play a new MOBA on my Switch featuring pokemans.

HotS was really nice for ease of getting into it. No items or anything to fuss around with, just a single team-wide xp resource.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I'm still not sold on Pokemon Unite

Since it's coming out tomorrow and free to play I decided to preload it and I guess I'll see how it is. Hopefully it won't require micro transactions to fully enjoy.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

Please do

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Yay! Thanks

edited July 2021
    I wish I could be excited for Pokemon Unite but I just have zero interest in multiplayer-only stuff these days. That and fuck Tencent.
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    This is fun

Early on there was a suggestion pokemon came from space and Deoxys seems to be the end result of that. Gen 4 completely throws that out though

Yeah, I forgot to mention they posted part 2 of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3YPqHwYRUw

The thing that really fascinates me about this whole thing is that it seems like the early concept was that Pokemon takes place in *our* world (the real world) and Pokemon are just like some sort of new evolution of existing animals and stuff being discovered. This kind of explains the early seasons of the anime where it references stuff like Paris and Hollywood and other real-life stuff. I guess at some point (maybe around Ruby/Sapphire?) they sort of retconned that all out into Pokemon becoming it's own unique world and started making all these regions that were sorta kinda similar to real life places but not the same.

Warlock82 on