As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    The Heide? Knight set in DS2 was peak fashion souls imo

Took quite a few a bonfire ascetics, to the point where one of the Heide knights could one shot me

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I think for me, it's either the falconer set or the royal swordsman set. The royal swordsman set really scratches my itch for just cold, practical steel, and the falconer set has this regal and professional air about it.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i love love love the cleric chest piece

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    It's interesting how people are suddenly interested in Ds2 now and this dropped:

How to Beat Dark Souls 2 without Talking 52:36
    https://youtu.be/3zD7rBcgduw

Kinda made me wanna go through the game again since it was my least familiar and played through one among the trilogy, I never finished Scholars edition to be honest, only the vanilla one

Peas on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Man, I am really feeling like the soul level is out of control in this game. I just killed the Old Iron King, and am at SL 116. I'm already at the softcap for Strength, I have agility to 96 to medium roll comfortably, I have 40 VIT, I'm one or two shotting most enemies with Greatsword. I don't have a ton of health but the game also encourages you to always be human since being hollow sucks out loud, and you can still be invaded by NPCs when you're not human.

The Clearing out of enemies is leading me to farm waaaayyy more than I have in any other souls game, because the material benefit of making exploring easier with no more enemies is just too good.

Edit: I haven't watched that full video yet, but it cracked me up when he problem solves one thing with item drops but then is in a bind because he can't cancel out his solution without talking to someone.

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    It's interesting how people are suddenly interested in Ds2 now and this dropped:

Kinda made me wanna go through the game again since it was my least familiar and played through one among the trilogy, I never finished Scholars edition to be honest, only the vanilla one

Wow that video was a journey. So many ups and downs and cool tricks and sidepaths taken to get around failure.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "But why though"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Now can I get one where all the textures scroll, but they're also all crabs?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ah yes, just the thing I need to projectile vomit after playing for five minutes.

• Options
    this fume knight guy is not very nice, at all

• Options
    Peas wrote: »

The "Now select 'Leave'" gag was real good.

I should make some more attempts at double pursuers, now that I have that cheese strat in case I get sick of it.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    man, i bumped into the first dlc area and this shit seems like shit, the first encounter is literally 4 archers with laser poison arrows flanked by mace dudes.

In general this has definitely been the hardest DS game I’ve gone through. Nothing feels right. The estus flask in particular feels terrible

cursedking on
  • Options
    The DLCs are definitely made with the assumption that you've beaten everything in the base game and are coming back for more, and the difficulty is scaled accordingly.

• Options
    also that dlc has environmental bullshit

hit a switch there, a platform rises, blocks the archers and damages the mace guys

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    cursedking wrote: »
    this fume knight guy is not very nice, at all

93% player failure rate. From proudly shared this information. To me it just shows the failure was at making a good boss fight.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Never had much issue against Fume Knight or Twin Princes in DS3. Human bosses in general, so long as they don't have weird moves (Dancer), tend to be easier for me than monster types.

• Options
    Fume Knight was hard, but he was the fun kind of hard for me.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Fume Knight is the best boss fight in DS2

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I can't remember if I was ultimately able to solo fume knight in my DS2 playthrough but if I did it wouldn't mean much because I was a sorcerer and that's nearly always easy mode

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Never had much issue against Fume Knight or Twin Princes in DS3. Human bosses in general, so long as they don't have weird moves (Dancer), tend to be easier for me than monster types.

You say that and then sir alonne comes along with his ******* magic hitboxes.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I vaguely recall a boss or bosses in iron keep being a big middle finger to sorcerers in particular

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »

You say that and then sir alonne comes along with his ******* magic hitboxes.

I don't think I ever fought this boss. I hated the area so much I didn't explore after I find the magic Fuck You Curses tower and went down to Fume Knight, grabbed the Crown after, and backflipped out while giving double birds

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    This made me think I should post what my favorite boss in DS2 is. But I wanted to give that some good thought, and to do that I figured the first thing to do would be to try and recall every boss in Dark Souls 2 to make sure I didn't leave any of them unexamined. And I'm pretty sure I did so successfully, but doing so used up all my thinking energy so I don't have any left to figure out which is my favorite.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I like the demon of song fight

That dude is fucked up looking!!

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

I'd say Alonne edged Fume Knight out...but his fight is tainted by the run back.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Dark souls 2 is a perfectly balanced game with no flaws.

https://youtu.be/kyGws16gJRo

• Options
    Every grab in every Souls game does that. DS2 just has more thrusts that are grabs in it.

• Options
    Also the teleport doesn't mean you're safe. I stick to the roll because I know by animation when I'm safe during, whereas dashes and teleports are way iffier.

• Options
    Also I've played that game way too much, I knew immediately that the dodge was too early even though I haven't done that fight in a while now.

• Options
    I think what's happening in the video is that the character got clipped in the middle of the roll, activating the grab, but the grab animation didn't start until the roll finished.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    I think what's happening in the video is that the character got clipped in the middle of the roll, activating the grab, but the grab animation didn't start until the roll finished.

It's more that the grab hitboxes are beefy rectangles extending a bit wider than the enemy throwing the grab, so they were still in it during active frames after their roll. You always want to dodge late or go full perpendicular sidestep for grabs.

To be clear, I hate grabs in general in these games, but DS2's grabs ends up pulling disproportionate ire from people because they're animated on several bosses as thrusts.

Incidentally, sketchy animation decisions are also why DS2 enemies you can't strafe around are worse-received than DS3's; DS3 has them do interesting dynamic animations to punish your strafe, while DS2 enemies just pivot without even animating foot shuffles.

Kamar on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Hit frame

dbheulng4y01.png

He was invisible so its harder to see but when you follow the camera center and treat that as where the character is, he was still in front of Alonne. Like the thrust went from behind him and then through him as it hit.

It looks wonky because he teleports to the end of the sword well after this frame, but that was a legit hit.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES184mvg-EQ
    this one breaks my brain every time

Elendil on
  • Options
    That's Bloodborne though. Chalice bosses are all bullshit.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    That's why I like em.

If I'm plumbing some deep dark set of catacombs mythologised to be the place where terror and despair lies, it better be despairing.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I conquered this sanctum and now I’m hitting heads against the three stooges boss here. The boss run is hilarious

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I killed the three juggalos and lol Sinh is such a fucking jerk oh my god

edit: ok, I truly don't understand, sometimes it seems like bosses get hyper armor for no reason. I'll be doing 500 damage per swing and then i'm doing 27.

cursedking on
  • Options
    did he break your shit? sinh breaks your shit really easily

• Options
    Sometimes you'll do a bit more damage because you're counterattacking, but that's nowhere near that big a difference.