As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What kind is chip is best [chat]

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    richard powers is going to come give a talk (he wrote _the overstory_ which I really liked) but you can only buy tix to see it as part of a 5 lecture series with other authors

bundles suck, just let me buy the thing I want and not these other things : (

Hey I read that

It was pretty devastating

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    Tav wrote: »

literally my daughter

too much Halloween-themed Pinkfong and Cocomelon, although the vampire wedding bit was pretty fucking sweet tbh

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    w8iqssctut3u.jpeg

These started out the same color

Destroy all cigarettes

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    A thing I do is look at the Blue Apron app, and then go buy the foods they're trying to sell to you and just make their recipes.

this is some tricky shit!

have you found some good recipes this way? if y, what are they?

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    Organichu wrote: »
    w8iqssctut3u.jpeg

These started out the same color

Destroy all cigarettes

That looks more like UV yellowing though.

Maybe some nicotine staining, but I'd guess the whiter one was parked in a garage / shade or had tinted windows.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    it took me a lot of time looking at that to figure out what they are

the first minute was spent puzzling over what I thought surely was the packaging

edit: the nicotine will wash off easily, the uv yellowing will not

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tortilla
    you would probably have to smoke constantly with your windows up to get that kind of yellowing but also cigarettes are terrible so let's get rid of them anyway

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    But it also stinks ferociously of cigarettes

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Pringle
    It's tricky with Malcolm Gladwell, because he puts out content that I enjoy on entertainment value, and the content often DOES challenge my biases and makes me want to research things on my own. But he also doesn't interrogate his own sources with the same level of rigor as I do (or most of [chat], I believe). He is famous enough that he gets to talk with interesting people that I like, too. For subjects where academic rigor usually doesn't matter, like say the history of certain genres of music or funny sports stories, he's great. It's the whole pop science shit that feels rather dangerous. A lot of his writing is just one step away from "Just So" stories.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tortilla
    we have all been provided free bluetooth headsets and people still join conference calls in the middle of the office just wide open on speakerphone

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    A thing I do is look at the Blue Apron app, and then go buy the foods they're trying to sell to you and just make their recipes.

@skippydumptruck

I found a few good ones! They had a salmon in miso sauce dish that unlocked a whole other level of food for me, shiro miso and rice wine vinegar are ingredients I'd never used, never put ginger in things either. They also led me to preparing a lot more veggies and I've carried that through. I have a chicken and sun-dried tomato thing that's in the stadard rotation, and I use the shiro miso sauce in all kinds of things now.

It's important to write the recipes down somewhere because once they fall out of the blue apron rotation they're hard to find again. But they have new shit all the time to experiment with.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    you would probably have to smoke constantly with your windows up to get that kind of yellowing but also cigarettes are terrible so let's get rid of them anyway

One time one of the realtors sold a condo and when they moved the wall paintings you could see the outlines still from the tar.

The yellow walls were not originally yellow.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

@skippydumptruck

I found a few good ones! They had a salmon in miso sauce dish that unlocked a whole other level of food for me, shiro miso and rice wine vinegar are ingredients I'd never used, never put ginger in things either. They also led me to preparing a lot more veggies and I've carried that through. I have a chicken and sun-dried tomato thing that's in the stadard rotation, and I use the shiro miso sauce in all kinds of things now.

It's important to write the recipes down somewhere because once they fall out of the blue apron rotation they're hard to find again. But they have new shit all the time to experiment with.

hmm, will you post or sent me the sun-dried tomato chicken thing?

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Is it safe to flush toenails down the toilet?

Tortilla
    JebusUD wrote: »

One time one of the realtors sold a condo and when they moved the wall paintings you could see the outlines still from the tar.

The yellow walls were not originally yellow.

yeah that's pretty common when people smoke indoors

it's gross

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Quest (call for help)
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    It's tricky with Malcolm Gladwell, because he puts out content that I enjoy on entertainment value, and the content often DOES challenge my biases and makes me want to research things on my own. But he also doesn't interrogate his own sources with the same level of rigor as I do (or most of [chat], I believe). He is famous enough that he gets to talk with interesting people that I like, too. For subjects where academic rigor usually doesn't matter, like say the history of certain genres of music or funny sports stories, he's great. It's the whole pop science shit that feels rather dangerous. A lot of his writing is just one step away from "Just So" stories.

I don't think there's even anything wrong with entertaining just-so stories when they're clearly labeled as such. Entertainment is entertainment, and hey, just-so stories could be true!

The irresponsible thing is giving people a sense that they've achieved greater understanding than they actually have

He is clearly a talented raconteur, though, and there's a place for that

Tortilla
    Winky wrote: »
    Is it safe to flush toenails down the toilet?

yeah if you're fine with toenail monsters in your pipes

but also yes

edited July 2021
    Pringle
    MrMister wrote: »

I don't think there's even anything wrong with entertaining just-so stories when they're clearly labeled as such. Entertainment is entertainment, and hey, just-so stories could be true!

The irresponsible thing is giving people a sense that they've achieved greater understanding than they actually have

His fame gives him candid access to a lot of entertainers and celebrities that I like, which in turn, gives me access to them through interviews and such. So there's that. I imagine that's some of the appeal of Joe Rogan, as well (and there are probably some parallels there).

EDIT: Oh shit. Malcolm Gladwell is Joe Rogan for ivory tower privileged white liberals.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Also, good afternoon people who aren't software developers, people who are software developers and don't want to be, and colossal fucking nerds

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Sun
    At the transfusion center now

s0r78cpmtjnw.jpeg

p7d7qtbuk3f6.jpeg

cj6cyqpkxu3z.jpeg

my nurse is a crazy person with the boomer brainworms 😥

Atomika on
    Pringle
    Atomika wrote: »

s0r78cpmtjnw.jpeg

p7d7qtbuk3f6.jpeg

cj6cyqpkxu3z.jpeg

THE BLOOD THE BLOOD THE BLOOD THE BLOOD THE BLOOD THE BLOOD

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Sun
    I just program switches.
    It's like being a software developer but much cooler

Bless your heart.
    I see you went with the vampire lipstick to complete the "I'm consuming someone else's blood" look

Pringle
    You're not supposed to be showing off your adenochrome injections to the public, Atomika.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

His fame gives him candid access to a lot of entertainers and celebrities that I like, which in turn, gives me access to them through interviews and such. So there's that. I imagine that's some of the appeal of Joe Rogan, as well (and there are probably some parallels there).

EDIT: Oh shit. Malcolm Gladwell is Joe Rogan for ivory tower privileged white liberals.

He is nerdy Joe Rogan.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Sun

s0r78cpmtjnw.jpeg

p7d7qtbuk3f6.jpeg

cj6cyqpkxu3z.jpeg

THE BLOOD THE BLOOD THE BLOOD THE BLOOD THE BLOOD THE BLOOD

blood for the blood god
    iron for the brain fog

Sun
    You're not supposed to be showing off your adenochrome injections to the public, Atomika.

I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN

Sun
    I see you went with the vampire lipstick to complete the "I'm consuming someone else's blood" look

no

it’s just lipstick

promise

🩸

Tortilla
    the conclusion to Avengers #88 is in Hulk #140 so now i guess i need to read 139 issues of Hulk before i can find out what happens

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I WILL EAT YOUR CHILDREN

hqdefault.jpg

the conclusion to Avengers #88 is in Hulk #140 so now i guess i need to read 139 issues of Hulk before i can find out what happens

that's how they getcha

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I think this is kind of a problem! People are really bad at evaluating evidence, and "this could be true" is interpreted as "this is probably true" to an alarming degree for an alarming number of people.

Though "clearly labeled as such" is doing enough obfuscation that we might agree, I don't know. I just don't think that "this story could be true" in the realm of pop science is healthy.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Tortilla

For the youngsters in chat: food was TRASH in the 80s

desc on
    Tortilla

that's how they getcha

i have considered just starting at issue #1 of the oldest series and then reading everything in chronological order because i am an absolute fuckin weirdo who is compelled to do things like that

that's how they getcha

i have considered just starting at issue #1 of the oldest series and then reading everything in chronological order because i am an absolute fuckin weirdo who is compelled to do things like that

Just imagine how many problematic old comic storylines you'll get to read!

Pringle
    desc wrote: »

Holy shit, yes. It was bad. Like, we mocked the whole "TV Dinner" thing in our media. It was that bad.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I just ordered these; i blame this chat.

xk3w9kt.jpg

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

It wasn't all trash. American Coca-Colas had real sugar in them in the 80s.

Pringle
    The great snack foods from the 80s are a survivorship bias. There were a LOT of shitty snacks in the 80s.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.