As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What kind is chip is best [chat]

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

For the youngsters in chat: food was TRASH in the 80s

Junk food was amazing in the 80s, though.

nibXTE7.png
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i assume snacks in the 80s were just a slab of transfat covered with sugar and topped off with cocaine

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Regular Potat
    Nutritional info didnt have to be disclosed in the past because all food was healthy

Please stop gatekeeping healthy choices behind literacy, my homeschooled kids are starving

Tumin on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Pringle
    Like, delivery pizza was soggy and floppy and greasy back then (I mean, even more so). It was bad enough that Dominos had a whole advertising campaign about "The Noid", which was the anthropomorphic personification of this concept.

There were no Korean BBQs. My friends had their first taste of Korean food at my house, when my parents cooked it.

Sushi was universally mocked as "hur hur, raw fish".

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    shut up and eat the chemicals

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    All real sugar, stuff still fried in lard and peanut oil, full-fat cheeses, Hershey's before they got rid of cocoa butter, 3 litre bottles of soda... Shrinkflation hadn't happened yet so your "family size" chips were the size of an actual family.

nibXTE7.png
    Pringle

Again, survivorship bias. The good ones from the 80s persist until today. We don't remember the bad shit because they were so bad, they were discontinued. Like shitty gum that only lasts 10 seconds of flavor.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Tortilla
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    It's tricky with Malcolm Gladwell, because he puts out content that I enjoy on entertainment value, and the content often DOES challenge my biases and makes me want to research things on my own. But he also doesn't interrogate his own sources with the same level of rigor as I do (or most of [chat], I believe). He is famous enough that he gets to talk with interesting people that I like, too. For subjects where academic rigor usually doesn't matter, like say the history of certain genres of music or funny sports stories, he's great. It's the whole pop science shit that feels rather dangerous. A lot of his writing is just one step away from "Just So" stories.

I don't think there's even anything wrong with entertaining just-so stories when they're clearly labeled as such. Entertainment is entertainment, and hey, just-so stories could be true!

The irresponsible thing is giving people a sense that they've achieved greater understanding than they actually have

He is clearly a talented raconteur, though, and there's a place for that
    His fame gives him candid access to a lot of entertainers and celebrities that I like, which in turn, gives me access to them through interviews and such. So there's that. I imagine that's some of the appeal of Joe Rogan, as well (and there are probably some parallels there).

EDIT: Oh shit. Malcolm Gladwell is Joe Rogan for ivory tower privileged white liberals.

Ahahahahahha

oh noooo

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.

Again, survivorship bias. The good ones from the 80s persist until today. We don't remember the bad shit because they were so bad, they were discontinued. Like shitty gum that only lasts 10 seconds of flavor.

Fruit Stripe hears you.

Fruit Stripe don't care.

nibXTE7.png
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

I look at the grocery store now and it is like magic what you can get in the produce aisle.

You couldn't even get more than white button mushrooms and iceberg lettuce and some carrots in most of the 90s. The blandest tomatoes you can imagine.

We hated variety and anything that wasn't engineered to look beautiful and be devoid of flavor.

Red Delicious!

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    Gladwell all talking about how he's got like a dozen elk in his basement freezer

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    Pringle
    I will say that Pizza Hut was WAY better in the 80s. SO much better. The restaurants had a consistent, homely style to them and the pizzas had way better ingredients. They started declining sometime in the 90s, and Papa John's muscled in on that void.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It's only recently I've been pondering on how "As part of a nutritious/full breakfast" was marketing boolsheet.

Like a bowl of chocolate with sugar or sugar dipped in chocolate is okay as long as you also eat toast, a glass of orange juice, some waffles and a combination of bacon eggs and sausage.

Like who has meals like that?

Don't you talk about Juicy Fruit that way!

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Kettle
    Gushers. But I think they were more early 90's.

I remember eating in the 1980's a lot of not good frozen veggies. Lots of terrible cereal. A lot of pasta with like ragu. And butterfingers.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Pringle
    Gladwell all talking about how he's got like a dozen elk in his basement freezer
    The man is Canadian. I assume all Canadians do this.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    We don't remember the bad shit because they were so bad, they were discontinued.

I'm struggling to think of an 80s food that you can't get now. Cheese fries? French fries with melted cheese on top might be a little hard to find today. Hmm.

It's only recently I've been pondering on how "As part of a nutritious/full breakfast" was marketing boolsheet.

Like a bowl of chocolate with sugar or sugar dipped in chocolate is okay as long as you also eat toast, a glass of orange juice, some waffles and a combination of bacon eggs and sausage.

Like who has meals like that?

oGTcxkL.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Kettle
    I will say that Pizza Hut was WAY better in the 80s. SO much better. The restaurants had a consistent, homely style to them and the pizzas had way better ingredients. They started declining sometime in the 90s, and Papa John's muscled in on that void.

Young me loved the New Yorker they had.

We stopped by a sit down Pizza Hut after an Ultimate tournament and had the buffet. Decent way of getting calories at least.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Sun

The rustic manliness of Gladwell’s subject matter is often undercut by the fact he looks like a cartoon nerd

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    Didn't the 80's classify ketchup as veggies for the purpose of serving kids?

But yes food was terrible in the 80's. Even shit that stuck around like McDonalds or Dominos in mostly the same form was a lot more terrible then either due to cheaper / lower quality ingredients or half-assed preparation.

If you want 1980's menu quality food, go to a Dennys at 2:30 AM. That's what you got.

emnmnme wrote: »
    We don't remember the bad shit because they were so bad, they were discontinued.

I'm struggling to think of an 80s food that you can't get now. Cheese fries? French fries with melted cheese on top might be a little hard to find today. Hmm.

Cheese fries are not hard to find.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    tenor.gif?itemid=7848726

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Quest (call for help)
    fak

Kamiro wrote: »

Young me loved the New Yorker they had.

We stopped by a sit down Pizza Hut after an Ultimate tournament and had the buffet. Decent way of getting calories at least.

Do you remember the Sicilian pizza?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Didn't the 80's classify ketchup as veggies for the purpose of serving kids?

didn't the states do this like two years ago with pizza sauce counting as a five a day?

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Tortilla
    spool32 wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    A thing I do is look at the Blue Apron app, and then go buy the foods they're trying to sell to you and just make their recipes.

this is some tricky shit!

have you found some good recipes this way? if y, what are they?

@skippydumptruck

I found a few good ones! They had a salmon in miso sauce dish that unlocked a whole other level of food for me, shiro miso and rice wine vinegar are ingredients I'd never used, never put ginger in things either. They also led me to preparing a lot more veggies and I've carried that through. I have a chicken and sun-dried tomato thing that's in the stadard rotation, and I use the shiro miso sauce in all kinds of things now.

It's important to write the recipes down somewhere because once they fall out of the blue apron rotation they're hard to find again. But they have new shit all the time to experiment with.

hmm, will you post or sent me the sun-dried tomato chicken thing?

Sure!

Things you'll need:
    Chicken breasts
    Cherry tomatoes, halved (like 14-16 halves, so 7-8 of them)
    Bell pepper, de-seeded and cut into strips or large rough-chopped pieces
    1/4 red onion diced
    Sun-dried tomatoes in oil, 5 or 6, diced and the oil saved
    Spinach
    roasted new potatoes and 3-5 cloves crushed garlic (optional)
    salt
    pepper
    3-5 whole garlic cloves
    red pepper flakes
    squeeze of lime juice

for the potatoes: Chop into 1-2in squares. They go into a bowl to be tosses with lots of salt, pepper, 2-3 cloves of crushed garlic, and oil. Toss them until covered, then they go spread out on a sheet pan (with sides) in a 400 degree oven for 25-30 min or until done (roasty and fork-tender). I take them out once and toss them around to get browning on more than one side. Set those aside. I either make this ahead of time or I start prep for all of it, then start cooking when the potatoes have been in for 10 minutes.

The main dish:
    Butterfly the chicken breasts or split them entirely, your choice. Salt / pepper them.

In a large saute pan heat oil on medium, just coating the bottom, until shimmering. Toss in 1/4tsp of red pepper flakes, wait 30s, then chicken goes in.
    Flip them once after a couple minutes.
    Remove chicken from the pan.
    add the sundried tomatoes and oil.
    Add the onion.
    Saute for 2ish minutes.
    Add the bell pepper.
    Add the whole garlic cloves

Meanwhile, split the chicken breasts into long strips or bite-sized bits. Save all the juice.

When the pan all starts to look sizzly and most of the water has cooked off, onions translucent, add the cherry tomato halves cut side down and let it all sit for about a minute.
    Throw a mountain of spinach in there. As usual, way more than you think you need. Cover and wait for it to wilt but not fully reduce down in that way it does.

uncover and return the chicken to the pan, incl all the juice, and the dash of lime, a tablespoon or one wedge squozen, and toss for a minute or until the chicken is hot again.

Serve alone or with rice or with the roasted potatoes.

spool32 on
    Pringle
    Atomika wrote: »

The rustic manliness of Gladwell’s subject matter is often undercut by the fact he looks like a cartoon nerd
    The man literally looks like Sideshow Bob at times, because of his hair (which comes from his Jamaican heritage).

uwd91mixmbbp.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Kettle
    Stouffer's. I ate their froze lasagna a lot because my mom and I liked it.

My dad did cook a lot even then though. But there was a lot more velveeta and such too.

In the early 90's its Kid's Cuisine. The one with the brownie.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Regular Potat

I think Pizza Hut at one point was better

But as a rule yeah food now is the best it’s ever been.

https://youtu.be/dYGuD3NVuCc

Holy shit this commercial.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    edited July 2021
    JebusUD wrote: »

I know where in Houston to get hot dogs topped with avocado. I don't know where to get cheese fries.

I googled popular foods of the 80s and I don't remember any of this stuff.
    Slow-Cooker Southwest Artichoke and Spinach Dip.
    Grilled Firecracker Chicken Drummies.
    California Sushi Canapés.
    Sausage Cheese Balls.

The hell is a cheese ball?

emnmnme on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    One hour to go at work.

I can hear my bed calling.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Sun
    Things I remember about food in the 80s

- styrofoam was goddamn everywhere
    - fried apple pies and French fries were absolutely better tasting back then and they were poison
    - lots of suburban moms gobbling down margarine and pasta because “fat is bad for you!”
    - wine coolers, remember those? If you do, you’re old.
    - Happy Meal toys were actual toys
    - people still regularly ate canned meat
    - portion sizes were insanely huge

Kettle
    Oh shit yeah margarine.

I kind of remember when we moved back to butter in our food in the 90's.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Pringle
    McDonald's French Fries were objectively better back then. But also probably worse for you. Although, they're fucking french fries... no one is going to be svelte and healthy eating those.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Kettle
    I also realize I have a lot of memory overlap between the early 1990's and late 80's because I was 6 in 1989.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Sun
    Things I remember about food in the 80s

- styrofoam was goddamn everywhere
    - fried apple pies and French fries were absolutely better tasting back then and they were poison
    - lots of suburban moms gobbling down margarine and pasta because “fat is bad for you!”
    - wine coolers, remember those? If you do, you’re old.
    - people still regularly ate canned meat
    - portion sizes were insanely huge

the current apple pies are so
    so
    so
    bad

smirnoff was born of wine coolers

Bless your heart.
    9576709794_ef14e2ccc8_b.jpg
    Mmm, that's the stuff.

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Regular Potat
    I was going to try to Well Actually the 80s being the last good toy decade but apparently George Lucas has a card that gets him free food for life at any Burger King because of his brand loyalty when doing Star Wars promotions

I dont want one, but man, what a deal, I'd be a king!

Tumin on
This discussion has been closed.