As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I think he is getting some sort of super armor when he turns his head to do the over the shoulder flame breath.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Sinh has a massive spear stuck through his back and exiting from his chest, which can be hit for high damage similar to the Adjudicator from Demon's Souls. This spear is the weapon Yorgh used in his failed attempt to slay the dragon.
    Oh maybe this is it.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Fuck, I forgot to free that Toulouse-Lautrec motherfucker in the Parish before I killed the gargoyles

that's a run ruined

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    he still gets to firelink if you don't free him

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    yeah I went back to find him, but you don't get a medallion and also
    I somehow triggered him killing the Firekeeper and that's a huge pain in the ass

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Yeah he'll go to his usual place, he just won't give you the ring.
    Of course I always just kick him off the cliff and get it that way.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    re: lautrec
    1) he never gives you the ring, you always have to kill him if you want it. if you free him before you kill the bell gargoyles, he gives you a sunlight medal.

2) there are two things that trigger him killing Anastacia. one of them is ringing Quelaag's bell, the other is collecting the fire keeper's soul in the undead parish AND the one in lower blighttown.

Shorty wrote: »
    1) he never gives you the ring, you always have to kill him if you want it. if you free him before you kill the bell gargoyles, he gives you a sunlight medal.

2) there are two things that trigger him killing Anastacia. one of them is ringing Quelaag's bell, the other is collecting the fire keeper's soul in the undead parish AND the one in lower blighttown.
    Ah, I figured he gave the ring if you saved him. Like I said, I've always just punted him over the cliff because I remember the bullshit he pulls that I can't fix until Anor Londo.

yeah that quest is worth doing exactly once just to see the dialogue with Anastacia, otherwise he oughta get the boot at first opportunity

yeah
    I know when he's supposed to kill her, but I went down to Firelink after ringing the first bell, the bonfire was out and I could get the black orb from Anastacia's corpse, but for some reason he was still sitting at his spot in Firelink. Killing him there didn't give me the soul to resurrect her.

I think I may have broke something

it's moot anyway, 'cause I started over as a deprived.

that's really weird. never seen that before.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    yeah that quest is worth doing exactly once just to see the dialogue with Anastacia, otherwise he oughta get the boot at first opportunity
    Personally I always do his quest. The trouble he causes is shocking, but not actually that big a problem, and if you don't do his quest you don't get his armor set.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Personally I always do his quest. The trouble he causes is shocking, but not actually that big a problem, and if you don't do his quest you don't get his armor set.
    or Anastacia's

I generally don't do quests whose rewards are things that I won't use, especially when they're a ballache

is there wider lore about how much petrification seems to be a thing in ds 2? It seems like...very widespread

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think it's just that there's basilisks in the forest, and those explody guys in the lost bastille have a petrifying varient up in the upper cells where the one petrified guy is, maybe? I might be making one or both of those things up

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited July 2021
    I think it's just that there's basilisks in the forest, and those explody guys in the lost bastille have a petrifying varient up in the upper cells where the one petrified guy is, maybe? I might be making one or both of those things up

all of the knights in Draengleic castle are stone (not golems) that unpetrifies to fight you, there's tons of statues you have to unpetrify to progress to different places, there are basilisks in several major areas besides the forest, the DLC Sunken kingdom has an area that is just filled with petrification arrow statues and a hidden huge idol that spews petrification gas...it's just really really everywhere.

edit: Also! several key items you keep getting are petrified, Petrified Something, Petrified Dragon Bone, Petrified Dragon Egg

cursedking on
    Drangleic is very, very, very old.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Fromsoft was going through some hard shit at the time, ok

Yeah like, just got to Aldia's house and it is literally filled with basilisks being experimented on and petrified monsters, I think his soul experiments hinged on petrification.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The Everlasting Dragons and the original Archtrees are described as stone-like or literally made out of stone ("Gwyn's mighty bolts peeled apart their stone scales")

Aldia researches the cycle and ways to transcend it, it's highly similar to the various Dragon covenants (who seek immortality by "bringing their own flesh closer" to that of the Ancient Dragons)

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I started DS2 SOTFS on the Xbone again because... I don't know, maybe I'll try and beat that game this time?

Anyway, doing a dual-wielding fella this time. It's fun, though I feel like I'm going to get punished real hard for it.

Also, man, the music in Majula is just so nice. Hauntingly pleasant, I'd say.

To Sir Alonne I say: lol, no thanx

edited July 2021
    majula is the best home base in the series both for its music and its visual design

e: adding Bloodborne into the mix complicates this a bit. the Dream is almost better, but the song used for it in the second half of the game isn't nearly as good.

Shorty on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    To Sir Alonne I say: lol, no thanx

I had a tough time with him, the variable timing on his lunge messed with me

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Bloodborne Cut Content - Mergo's Wet Nurse Original Concept Cutscenes - All Unreleased Versions 8:10
    https://youtu.be/cuXKv5qqgtM
    I didn't know that the Wet Nurse was supposed to be a succubus

Peas on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    yeah

she was, iirc, in very very early versions supposed to be a boss in the forbidden woods, and was subsequently repurposed into the loft boss (and accordingly renamed as the context for that fight changed, as mentioned in the vieo)

i really, really wish they'd kept the more explicit characterization in those early cutscene variants. just like oceiros, the moment doesn't land in the final version at all.

Elendil on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    It's very likely because it leaves too many clues and is too clear.

REDACTED's stories are meant to leave REDACTED to your REDACTED after all.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    anyone who says they know what happens in bloodborne is lying

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    You can get an 80% picture but you'll never know the whole story.

Which is one million percent on point, on theme, and absolutely perfect for that game in every way.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The story of Bloodborne is Old Gods doing Old Gods shit

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I don't think you can reasonably know what percentage of bloodborne's story is told

edited July 2021
    Well I didn't mean an exact percentage I'm just saying you can get a fairly good idea with some big missing chunks. Which is more or less how Miyazaki used to read stories in English when he was young, only he didn't know all the words. He tries to recreate that feeling, of almost knowing everything but needing to fill out the rest with your imagination.

Bloodborne is, I think, the closest he's ever come to fully recreating that for someone else to experience. It's definitely how I feel about it.

There's no possible way to know anything about the story of BB is not really a viewpoint I jive with. Too extreme.

Morninglord on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    The problem with trying to pin down Bloodborne lore is that tiny differences in how to identify one thing or another can drastically change your interpretation of other things in the story. There are a few plausible ways to think about the identity of the MP, for example. The best you can do is try to figure out a set of compatible interpretations of different lore areas that you're satisfied with.

Something I don't think I've seen people discuss about Bloodborne much is something about the PC I've wondered.
    Anyone think it's likely the PC already had some connection to the eldritch nonsense in the game before they even showed up at the front door? They show up talking about Paleblood, which in the context of everything I would suggest is a sickness or condition caused by having the blood of a Great One (possibly even being one of the lost children), whether they realize it or not.

I mostly like the theory, I'll admit, because I don't like all of the madness being contained to this one small area.

Kamar on
    edited July 2021
    My favourite thing about Bloodborne is it showed and told the Great Ones yet they're still the biggest mystery, which is exactly how a Lovecraftian mythos inspired eldritch thing should be. You should see it, interact with it, even stop it from achieving a task or goal, and still have no idea what the fuck it is, what it's doing, or what it's motivations are.

It's just a perfect grokking of that style of existential dread and horror.

I finally got up to the last Chalice Dungeon boss recently and it had a similar kind of mixed feeling of two states.
    The blood attacks the Pthumerian Queen uses are simultaneously really cool looking and quite pretty and horribly disgusting and disturbing because of the meaning of what it is she's doing, especially the ones where she stabs her own belly. :bigfrown: It's like oooh, eeuuugggh, oooh, euuurgh the whole fight.

Morninglord on
    Kamar wrote: »
    The problem with trying to pin down Bloodborne lore is that tiny differences in how to identify one thing or another can drastically change your interpretation of other things in the story. There are a few plausible ways to think about the identity of the MP, for example. The best you can do is try to figure out a set of compatible interpretations of different lore areas that you're satisfied with.

Something I don't think I've seen people discuss about Bloodborne much is something about the PC I've wondered.
    Anyone think it's likely the PC already had some connection to the eldritch nonsense in the game before they even showed up at the front door? They show up talking about Paleblood, which in the context of everything I would suggest is a sickness or condition caused by having the blood of a Great One (possibly even being one of the lost children), whether they realize it or not.

I mostly like the theory, I'll admit, because I don't like all of the madness being contained to this one small area.

You might find this interesting.

https://screenrant.com/bloodborne-paleblood-meaning-origins-history-lore-background-theories/
    Miyazaki quote 1
    I think there are two different ways you could interpret “paleblood” here. One is the color of the sky after you defeat the Vacuous Spider and the Mensis secret ritual is revealed. The sky there is a very pale blue, like a body drained of blood. I think there's also a message placed in Yahar'gul, Unseen Village that calls back to that. This is before the ritual is revealed, so when you're kidnapped and go to Yahar'gul, you don't know what it could mean yet. Then, after the ritual, you could look at it again and it'll dawn on you… That was my intention, anyway, but I have to admit, that's probably a bit tough to pick up on (laughs). But either way, this leads to the interpretation that ‘seek paleblood’ refers to uncovering that ritual and putting a stop to it.

Miyazaki quote 2
    Right, that's another interpretation. ‘Paleblood’ is another name for the monster that comes from the moon under certain conditions. I think there's another message in the lecture building that hints at this, but I don't want to go into too much more detail here.

Also in the japanese version it makes it clear that
    the very first note you pick up that tells you to seek out the Paleblood was written by the protagonist (you) prior to blood ministration.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Dark Souls: Secret Shortcut In Firelink Shrine 0:14
    https://youtu.be/PLq-OPWs4dc

Would have been a pretty evil video if released 10 years ago lol

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Also in the japanese version it makes it clear that
    the very first note you pick up that tells you to seek out the Paleblood was written by the protagonist (you) prior to blood ministration.

This is the one thing I wish they had translated better, it's so cool.
    All they had to say was call it "scrawl in your handwriting" instead

Maybe that doesn't fit in the text box I guess.

hey, has there been any news about Bloodborne being ported to PC

'cause I wanna play it but my PS4 is aaaaall the way over theeereee