As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vegas Pro 16 issues and learning video editing

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
So, I've forced myself to buckle down and learn a big boy editing program, and this one was a part of that humble bundle earlier this year. I'm trying to edit a video and invariably when I'm manipulating the video clips it hangs up and the app must be closed. I'm able to make small changes at a time but it's seemingly random, I'll click on something to make an adjustment and the cursor turns to a loading circle. I'm not vary computer savvy, I've gotten this one for this express purpose. I'll toss the specs below. I've tried limiting the amount of ram being used in the options (and also tried pumping it up) and it didn't work.

Also if there are any resources people recommend for learning the program, please share! I'm using YouTube tutorials at the moment.

My specs
CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme VR Gaming PC, Intel i5 10400F 2.9GHz, GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6GB, 8GB DDR4, 500GB NVMe SSD, Wi-Fi Ready & Windows 10 Home (GXIVR8060A10)

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    What resolution are you editing in? 1080, 4K, or something else? How long are these clips? Seconds? Minutes? Where are the clips stored? Locally or off a network drive or in the cloud?

That seems like a very small amount of ram but if you’re doing short, local 1080 or lower clips it should be ok. If you’re doing 4K you probably just need to wait. Is the process still running when it seems to freeze?

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yeah. Clips are 1080 but also 60 fps. Stored on SSD. It just seems to infinitely load sometimes, like if I move the cursor too fast between clips. Each clip is about a minute, trying to pare down.

Local H Jay on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    What is the cpu doing when this happens? How much ram is being used?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'll have to take some screencaps, it's set to limit the amount of ram it can use. So of the 7000ish ram it detects, the default is to only make 200 available. When I bump it up it warns me that increasing the ram use can cause issues rendering. I did bump it to 1000 to see if it helped but to no avail.

I'll have my cpu monitor and task manager up next time I try