As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stargate Worlds MMO - Please dont suck

Oddjob187Oddjob187 PewTorontoRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
Stargate Worlds

So... What we know. The Basics.

Two sides of the conflict for now, SGC (Human, Asgard, Jaffa) and Goa'uld (Human, Jaffa, Goa'uld)

There are four classes, soldier, commando, scientist or archaeologist.

SG:W uses the Unreal 3 engine.

You are battling Relentless Enemies. Oh noes.

Crafting - Your customizing high tech human and alien weapons in between battling. (Increases your P90's rate of fire, or a staff weapon. Yea thats all I got.)

End game talk is still pretty shaky, smells like a Tabula Rasa situation where they'll think about it 30 days after launch when a ton of people are nearing the cap.

A lot of questions get answered in this IGN Preview Q&A session

Some more questions answered in this interview with Gamespot

They have a trailer up.
It's set in the same universe at coincidental places in the time line. You'll meet characters from the show in the game, you'll be able to talk to them, they'll give you missions, you'll be able to play characters on either side -- the good guys and the bad guys.
The game itself will feature what Ybarra hopes will be a huge world that will have "all the planets, as many as we have time to build," though the game will apparently be structured to drive players to both explore and to discover the locations of new stargates--the portals that lead to the next unknown destination. In fact, the designer suggested the game will focus on three key points--exploration through stargates; tactical battles using the game's squad-based combat system that will involve both conventional weapons as well as more esoteric weapons such as orbital bombardment; and "replayability."
Players will be able to hit the "level cap" (the game's maximum character level) relatively quickly, and instead of focusing on creating characters that are more powerful, players will be free to explore and to participate in the game's player-versus-player (PVP) battle system, though Ybarra put forward the idea that the game's population will likely end up split between about 10 percent of hardcore fans in PVP, and the other 90 percent exploring the world and taking on quests.
The designer hinted that the game should offer a great deal of breadth between combat, exploration, crafting, and quests that may be tied to a character's race or profession, as well as to local geography and the game's overarching story. Finally, Ybarra suggested that although both TV shows' acting talent are interested in appearing in the game in some capacity, exactly how "hasn't been figured out yet."
Our vision of Stargate Worlds is simple. We want the players to be the stars of their own show. This means we can't keep retelling the story of SG-1. We're going to let players choose from seven archetypes--Jaffa, Goa'uld, Asgard, and human soldier, scientist, archeologist, and commando--when they create a character. Players will be able to specialize their characters using a skill tree, allowing them to further refine their role.
- Possible misinformation in other interviews? Only Humans have a class choice, whereas the other races are stuck with general skill trees? Hmm.
At launch, Stargate Worlds will focus on the original Stargate experience. It's not a game of vehicle combat, and there won't be player-controlled starships. Players will be able to use starships for transport, but the primary method for getting around the galaxy is the Stargate.
GS: We learned at GDC that the game will be set during seasons three, four, five, six, seven, and eight of the TV show's run. Why the latter years and not the early ones, and what kind of story possibilities emerge due to this decision?

RN: The most important thing to remember about the timeline is that we're not retelling the story of Stargate SG-1. Our story will be happening roughly concurrently with the events you saw during those seasons, like the Replicator War, the Apophis War, the Tok'ra war with the Goa'uld, and the Jaffa Civil War. These events form a dramatic backdrop for our story to play out against.

GS: We understand that the game was intended to draw upon content from both Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. Will it draw upon both series evenly, or will it favor one universe or time frame over another?

RN: The action in Stargate Worlds at launch takes place in our galaxy, so you can say that it draws more from SG-1 than Atlantis, although you can see from some of our screenshots that an Atlantis-like city is one of the sites characters will visit.

Atlantis is a good candidate for our first expansion pack, and we're looking at a variety of options.
GS: Finally, is there anything that you'd like to add about Stargate Worlds?

RN: There are a few things we're really proud of already, especially our combat system. We're taking MMORPG combat in an evolutionary direction, meaning that the RPG aspects are all here, but there are significant enhancements to the system that make it work with the tactical modern combat and science-fiction weapons that are so integral to the Stargate IP.

The enemy artificial intelligence we're developing is proving to be really smart, and that's going to be an exciting challenge for gamers. We're also implementing a cover system that is far beyond anything that's been seen in this genre. But we're not just focusing on combat. Our storytelling and noncombat advancement systems will open up Stargate Worlds to gamers and nongamers who would never otherwise give a second thought to an MMORPG.
Ybarra suggests that Stargate Worlds will launch in 2008, with some kind of beta test planned by the end of this year.

And of course, this thread sucks without pictures. Safe for work by the way, in case anyone thought maybe the game was going to take a cue from the first Stargate SG1 episode on T.V. where we get to see Daniel's wifes naughty bits.

193originalow3.jpg

196originalsk6.jpg

198originalsh5.jpg

447originaltd1.jpg

529originalio4.jpg

530originaloi8.jpg

530originalyt1.jpg

578originalwc8.jpg

590originalpd2.jpg

stargateworlds200609140ls1.jpg

stargateworlds200801150pd0.jpg

stargateworlds200801181wx3.jpg

Yea thats all I got. It is still real early. What do you think though? Low budget raping of a possible endless money making title? They could milk a Space Expansion, Atlantis Expedition at the very least.

Cross your fingers and toes.

Oddjob187 on

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't know fuck all about SG1, except that I blame them for Farscape getting canceled. But I need more good MMOs out there so I'll hold some hope.

Only letting humans pick classes though sounds fucked.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    I don't know fuck all about SG1, except that I blame them for Farscape getting canceled. But I need more good MMOs out there so I'll hold some hope.

True true, probably just information screw ups, although I don't see Asgard being Soldiers. :p

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    with any luck it'll be as wonderfully mediocre as the television show

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    With any luck it won't already be doomed because it uses the UT3 engine.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    with any luck it'll be as wonderfully mediocre as the television show
    So WoW 2.0.

This would be good.

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Saban wrote: »
    With any luck it won't already be doomed because it uses the UT3 engine.

couldn't have killed them to use some anti-aliasing while taking those screenshots

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Hmm. Racial Character Classes. Sounds like Zeb Cook is pulling from his D&D history. I'm presuming that he's still involved with this.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    To be released in 2010? :P

I'm always curious about sci-fi MMOs, so I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I remember reading on the website for that, that combat would be a ranged tactical thing. Got me to thinking it would work like a FPS.

Seg on
  • Options
    MrWigglezMrWigglez Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oddjob187 wrote: »

There are four classes, soldier, commando, scientist or archaeologist.

I wonder what the archaeologist's skills will be? The power to get in the way and die a lot but always come back to life.... Hey! they can be the shaman of Stargate Worlds! :lol:

MrWigglez on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I guess playing a Jaffa with one of those laser-shootin' sticks of doom could be fun.

Also, super relevant: The Jaffas are coming!

reVerse on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I love SG-1 and Atlantis, so I've been quietly interested in this. I don't want to get my hopes up, but if nothing else, I'd be happy to see a non-fantasy MMO enter the ring. I know they're out there already, but none have ever really appealed to me like this could.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DarkstrykeDarkstryke Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Didn't the
    Asgard die? I mean, they blew up their planet in the last episode of SG-1...

Darkstryke on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Darkstryke wrote: »
    Didn't the
    That's why the game takes place before the last episode?
    And it's always possible some rogue Asgard asskicker said "Screw that" and took off in a starship with a bunch of his nearest and dearest clones.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    Darkstryke wrote: »
    Didn't the
    That's why the game takes place before the last episode?
    And it's always possible some rogue Asgard asskicker said "Screw that" and took off in a starship with a bunch of his nearest and dearest clones.

What season did the Asgard do that thing taking out some flying things? I thought it was in Season 10ish which would explain why the game is taking place in seasons three, four, five, six, seven, and eight. The Ori are not the big picture yet, Goa'uld are still bad, some Jaffa are free and the Replicators are starting to fuck shit up.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

There really isn't that big a deal about not having classes for other races besides human. Jaffa are warriors, that's what they're bred for. Goa'uld and Asgard are super-sciencey types that either don't do much fighting or can't.

Humans have sciencey-types, shooting-that-guy types, read-ancient languages-types, all sorts of different types. Both sides have humans and Jaffa, and both sides have their super-sciencey wusses, so in my mind at least it works out.

Oh yeah, and that hovertank looks badass.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    There really isn't that big a deal about not having classes for other races besides human. Jaffa are warriors, that's what they're bred for. Goa'uld and Asgard are super-sciencey types that either don't do much fighting or can't.

Humans have sciencey-types, shooting-that-guy types, read-ancient languages-types, all sorts of different types. Both sides have humans and Jaffa, and both sides have their super-sciencey wusses, so in my mind at least it works out.

Oh yeah, and that hovertank looks badass.
    Sure, from a lore point of view it's sound...but it doesn't sound like fun.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    See, I disagree. The lore is what the game is based on, and so the limitations are directly influencing the expectations of what you can be.

I want to be a Jaffa, roaming the countryside hitting people with a staff. I know that if I see other Jaffa, they will be doing the same thing. Seeing a Jaffa repairing Ancient technology would break my immersion. It would be the same as Jedi running around SWG and hobbits running about shanking people in LOTRO.

Limitations make a crafted world more interesting, and the racial limitations are stemmed from the years of oppression, war and evolution. Now, if they had a Stargate game that was in the future, I would not be opposed to Jaffa scientists.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    See, I disagree. The lore is what the game is based on, and so the limitations are directly influencing the expectations of what you can be.

I want to be a Jaffa, roaming the countryside hitting people with a staff. I know that if I see other Jaffa, they will be doing the same thing. Seeing a Jaffa repairing Ancient technology would break my immersion. It would be the same as Jedi running around SWG and hobbits running about shanking people in LOTRO.

Limitations make a crafted world more interesting, and the racial limitations are stemmed from the years of oppression, war and evolution. Now, if they had a Stargate game that was in the future, I would not be opposed to Jaffa scientists.
    See, I don't care about Stargate, I've seen the movie and I liked it, but if I can only heal people if I decide to be human, while I want to be a muscular black man with a golden emblem on his forehead then that's a first frustration to deal with.

Also: aren't some of these races enemies of each other? You can't have one side having access to stuff the other hasn't, PvP is supposed to be a bit balanced.

Aldo on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say "I don't like how the classes are said to be selected" and at the same time say "I don't care about Stargate".

If the latter is true, no matter how the game turns out it likely won't be for you.

Those of us who do like Stargate don't want to see a Special Ops Asgard just so people don't have their classes limited to races.

Limit classes to races, it is Stargate; not generic sci-fi game with no background.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2008
    It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to say "I don't like how the classes are said to be selected" and at the same time say "I don't care about Stargate".

If the latter is true, no matter how the game turns out it likely won't be for you.

Those of us who do like Stargate don't want to see a Special Ops Asgard just so people don't have their classes limited to races.

Limit classes to races, it is Stargate; not generic sci-fi game with no background.
    I don't care about Warhammer and Conan as well, I'm still interested in the MMOs about them coming out. As I said a few posts up: I am always interested in MMOs with a sci-fi setting.

Nowhere did I say that every race should have the same classes, I did say that different tactics and powers should be available to all races, especially if they're going to punch each other's lungs out in PvP. You can't have one party launching tactical nukes while the others are dancing around a campfire with pointy sticks. (hyperbole)

A fun game should be their first concern, no one cares about the text in quests except the biggest fans, lore should be in second place.

The fact that we know nothing about the game isn't helping, of course. Maybe the developers have already worked out that every race has enough options available to have decently balanced gameplay.

Aldo on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    As long as it's balanced there's no good reason that one side shouldn't have access to skills/classes/gear that the other can't.

One of the worst decisions, IMO, Blizzard made with TBC was giving Paladins to Horde and Shamans to Alliance. Blizzard just got sick of trying to create some balance in pvp so they just gave in and leveled the playing field. Of course, 99% of the decisions blizzard makes based on pvp that greatly effects PvE are shitty ones, but that's a totally different discussion.

The sides, as announced thus far for SG:W are
    Good guys: Humans, Jaffa, Asgard
    Bad guys: Humans, Jaffa, Goa'uld

And the description of them in interviews lends to the idea that both goa'uld and asgard are going to be the "science" type races, Jaffa the heavy hitters, and humans the specialized fields. This is pretty consistent with the show as long as they don't have the Goa'uld inventing crap, they just took already existing tech and figured out how to use/manipulate it. They're not stupid, but also didn't invent 99% of the crap they use. Also in the show the Jaffa were warriors. Period. Sure, you had your wise men, whatever, blah blah, but even those were warriors. It's a warrior race, their sole purpose in being genetically engineered was to be troopers. That's it. It wouldn't make sense for a Jaffa to be a scientist. I could see some paladin-style fighter/minor healer hybrid, but that's about it.

And humans? Well, they're just white bread. I'm sure we'll get spec-ops, medics, soldiers, etc. Maybe more, as it appears that the humans you play as, good or bad, aren't SG:C personnel.

Anyway, my point is that I hope there's at least some signifigant difference between sides. I don't want another WoW where the only difference between "sides" is if the guy who gives you a quest happens to be a gnome or a troll. Same classes, skills, everything. The differences are purely aesthetic. Give me variety.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited February 2008
    The Asgard are equivilant to the Goa'uld, and humans and Jaffa are available to both sides; PVP is equal, which can be easily seen by someone who has watched the damn show.

The fact that they make a game with a branded name means that everything will be built to coincide with what has already been established. The people that will be interested first and hold it longest are those that play the game mostly for the name, the ones that do 'care about the text in quests'.

If you want to look like a First Prime and just heal people, you obviously have no interest in this game besides 'how it plays', which means you'll maybe play a game to level cap before you quit looking for that game with an inconsequential background but custom skins.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Golf153Golf153 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    After the twenty quests to locate the seventh symbol it will get old fast.

Golf153 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Golf153 wrote: »

Well they are going to have to figure out some way to make the game interesting thats for sure. Getting missions to kill 8 space rabbits and bring the fur back to the SGC so they can trade it to some primative culture will get old real fast.

If they can replicate the kind of missions we see in the t.v. show only over and over it might hold its own. Instanced missions where your off in support of an SG1 on some planet that looks like Vancouver and what not.

Like I said, cross the fingers.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If the missions are arranged like the missions in CoH, that will be fun for awhile. No space bunny killing, but you do spend a lot of time fighting through areas that are similar to areas that you have been in before, but not exactly the same.

Of course playing alts might be terribly boring if you end up doing the exact same missions you did with your first character.

Seg on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    That's what turned me off of Tabula Rasa, that there only seems to be enough content to play through the game once, and CoX's gotten me into alts. TR has clones so you don't have to repeat stuff too much, but I do actually want some alternative stuff to play new characters through.

Of course, if they have 2 playable factions, that would imply at least enough stuff for 2 characters.

Scooter on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's what turned me off of Tabula Rasa, that there only seems to be enough content to play through the game once, and CoX's gotten me into alts. TR has clones so you don't have to repeat stuff too much, but I do actually want some alternative stuff to play new characters through.

Of course, if they have 2 playable factions, that would imply at least enough stuff for 2 characters.

I think thats an issue with most MMOs at launch. Most of them go with the "launch and finish the game later" method. CoH and CoV certainly did.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Corvus wrote: »

I think thats an issue with most MMOs at launch. Most of them go with the "launch and finish the game later" method. CoH and CoV certainly did.

Not really the same thing. They left off the end game for a couple months but there was still lots of alternative content for low levels. In CoH you could only barely do everything with one character at launch, if you kept maxed out on debt and soloed all the time. CoV launched from the start with it being impossible to do everything up til about 30. In TR I got up to about 19ish and I'd done every single mission in the game at that point just from normal play, except for one bugged line.

Scooter on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You ran out of quests? D:
    What's the level cap? Please tell me it's 20.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    You ran out of quests? D:
    What's the level cap? Please tell me it's 20.
    50 IIRC?

Aldo on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think I just misread- he meant he did all quests up to level 19, as opposed all quests evar?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yea uh, you can't do quests all over at 19 since you will get curb stomped in many places.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Specifically, the quest line that was bugged was the one that let you move on to the 20+ areas. So I'd done every single other 20-and-under mission.

Scooter on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This game is going to feel a lot like running Portal Corp in CoH.

And I am perfectly okay with that.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    This game is going to feel a lot like running Portal Corp in CoH.

And I am perfectly okay with that.

Except probably not as fun as CoH...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    This game needs more BETA

Closed beta sign-ups now online!

https://register.stargateworlds.com/Registration/

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Golf153 wrote: »

Nah after the symbol quests you move onto endless quests for naquada generators.

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, grinding on enemy Jaffa will get really old, and the "rez mechanic" of having their symbiot pick them back up again (so no one ever really dies) to achieve a lower rating is so lame.

Plus, as a human, it'd be nice is some quality weaponry dropped. I keep getting nothing but vendor trash and garbage for the Asgard. They're not even in yet! Why do the drop tables hate me so!

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!