As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

School me on this mysterious Dehumidifier technology

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
In 2020 I used, and enjoyed, a Honeywell Zeta, with the objective of cooling myself in the only room I need cooling when teleworking, creating comfort while conserving electricity.

In 2021 someone here gave me feedback, "yo, that's a swamp cooler."...Huh. Swamp cooler. And looking at my electricity consumption numbers between 2020 and 2021, the Zeta appeared to do jack-shit.

My southern, swamp dwelling ass never really considered attempting to manipulate humidity in order to maintain comfort while conserve electricity. So I went to Lowes and purchased a 50 pint dehumidifer. It was garbage. It gushed buckets of hot air, but I was intrigued by the fact that I did feel more comfortable. My apartment even looked different with drier air.

I returned it and purchased a h0melabs 50 pint model, recommended to me by a medically sensitive friend with multiple small units. I achieved far greater results. I was able to increase my daytime temperature from 75 to 78 while staying comfortable, with a bedtime temperature increased from 71 to 73. This also makes getting out of bed easier.

I'm still trying to understand how to use it most effectively. It still gushes a lot of hot air (not as much as the first model.) But it seems like my apartment HVAC struggles to get to the temperature I want in the evenings while the dehumidier is running. Sometimes the resivoir will completely fill over night, but last night it barely gathered any water.

How do dehumidifer users get the most of out them?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    So finding a way to vent the exhaust is the tricky bit. If your apartment has a fireplace or faux fireplace I would put the dehumidifier so the ass is in the fireplace. Another thing to do is put the butt in a different bathroom (if you have more than one). And if you want to exhaust it outdoors, you can turn on the bathroom fan.

zepherin on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Now I'm confused. The exhaust air is the dry air. If you vent it outside you're not going to change the humidity in the room/apartment

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Now I'm confused. The exhaust air is the dry air. If you vent it outside you're not going to change the humidity in the room/apartment

Sort of. So the idea is to drop the humidity of the house moist air goes in dry air goes out, but it also exhausts a lot of heat. The volume of air in your apartment does not fluctuate a great deal so a dehumidifier will decrease the humidity even if it isn’t near you. And the HVAC will cycle the air enough to keep things going. Essentially you want the hot air going somewhere else while dropping the humidity. Normally dehumidifiers are out in the basement because of their higher humidity, but also because they won’t heat up the area most of the residents are in and they effect the whole home. So the kitchen a bathroom a fireplace. It’ll still ring the moisture out of the air, but try it in a different area tonight and see if you are more comfortable.

zepherin on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Yeah, you’ll end up sucking in an equivalent amount moist air because pressure is going to want to equalize with the outside environment.

Cantido, you should have the landlord check and make sure the AC drain tube isn’t blocked, because it should dehumidify the apartment as it cools. I know mine pulls several pints out of the air each day right now. Another thing that might help would be have the condenser coils cleaned, as if they are dirty that will decrease the efficiency of you AC unit. AC filters aren’t perfect after all.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah check the AC filter if your can/haven't. Look at the fins and coils as well.

Then try the drain tube as the appropriately-named Soggybiscuit said. Our A/C in Chicago would drip all summer long. Ideally you try to route it so it's not dripping on anyone.

• Options
    I recently changed the filter. I change them a little less than the recommended three months, as I live in an area with poor quality.

I also put in the request to get the AC looked at.

For a frame of reference, the south is always humid. I turned off the AC and dehumidifier and my humidity rose to 57%. Setting the AC to 77F without my dehumidifier reduced the humidity by 1%. What they do to my AC, and what my electricity consumption numbers look like, will determine whether or not I keep the dehumidifer, but I'm confident that I'm getting value at it.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    So, my understanding is, that "swamp coolers" aka evaporative air coolers, are the opposite of dehumidifiers?

Swamp coolers work well in areas with low humidity, because they evoporate ice/cold water and add it to the air, increasing the humidity in the room, but cooling the temperature, because the water/ice is cold when it enters the air stream. Dehumidifiers work by removing water from the air, which can make you more comfortable despite the room being the same temperature.

I don't know about the benefits of running an evaporative air cooler and a dehumidifier in the same area?

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    So, my understanding is, that "swamp coolers" aka evaporative air coolers, are the opposite of dehumidifiers?

Swamp coolers work well in areas with low humidity, because they evoporate ice/cold water and add it to the air, increasing the humidity in the room, but cooling the temperature, because the water/ice is cold when it enters the air stream. Dehumidifiers work by removing water from the air, which can make you more comfortable despite the room being the same temperature.

I don't know about the benefits of running an evaporative air cooler and a dehumidifier in the same area?

It's apparently a thing that is suggested for humid environments. Swamp coolers work best in dry environments. So if it's too humid, run a dehumidifier to dry the air so the swamp cooler can work better -- that's the theory at least. Though similar to several of the comments here https://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/37252/why-do-a-swamp-cooler-and-dehumidifier-effectively-cool-a-room-when-paired-toget I can't imagine how it would manage to actually cool anything due to the warm exhaust from the dehumidifier, though it's certainly possible it might help to make it feel more cool to someone in the room, I don't know. And if you could vent the dehumidifier warm air out a window, then maybe.

Though a properly working AC unit is definitely going to work better.

• Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    Daenris wrote: »
    I can't imagine how it would manage to actually cool anything due to the warm exhaust from the dehumidifier, though it's certainly possible it might help to make it feel more cool to someone in the room, I don't know. And if you could vent the dehumidifier warm air out a window, then maybe.

Though a properly working AC unit is definitely going to work better.

It takes A LOT more energy to heat or cool water. The more water in the air the more time/energy it will take to change the temperature. Sucking the water out of the air with a dehumidifier helps the cooling and heating equipment. Ideally you want your humidity between 45-55% but some people may prefer differently. Venting it outside is ideal but not necessary, the key is getting the water out of the air.

What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I have an update:

After beginning to use the dehumidifier mid June, and subsequently increasing my daytime AC to 78F, I reduced electricity consumption in by 70 kilowatts. A full month should reveal the real savings. I can't talk about monetary savings because I'm in Texas and everyone's rates have skyrocketed because the GOP tries to spin winter's blackout as our responsibility.

I now exclusively use it during the day and evening, and don't use it at night due to the warm air it creates (and as explained above, all standard air conditioners are dehumidifiers in a sense.)

Cantido on