As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Lego] Thread

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Never realized how much the gunship looks like a Hind helicopter. I wonder if it was the inspiration.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Never realized how much the gunship looks like a Hind helicopter. I wonder if it was the inspiration.

A HIND D?

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Okay the press release refers to the Gunship as "elegant". Not sure what their definition of elegance is, but that thing looks like a old large conversion van.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Okay the press release refers to the Gunship as "elegant". Not sure what their definition of elegance is, but that thing looks like a old large conversion van.

Everything Clone Wars is Elegant, thanks to the OT. :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Whew, glad I snapped up the Saturn V super early during the week. Looks like it's officially retired now.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Whew, glad I snapped up the Saturn V super early during the week. Looks like it's officially retired now.

That is good to know it is retired now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »

There's actually one listing saying it is retired and the other says it is for sale.

This is my way of saying I just impulse bought one.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's a set I wish Lego would make forever, but given that it has been on the shelves since Toys R Us still existed, it's actually a super impressive run.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

There's actually one listing saying it is retired and the other says it is for sale.

Ah ok, yeah I see the reissued one still alive and kicking. Wonder how long they'll run this one.
    Athenor wrote: »
    It's a set I wish Lego would make forever, but given that it has been on the shelves since Toys R Us still existed, it's actually a super impressive run.

I just found out that the VW T1 Camper Van was the longest run so far.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping for a lunar rover in the next year or so. Maybe 1200-1800 pieces?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I cannot tell you how relieved I am that my son, who has been asking about this set for months, was immediately turned off by how big it is and told me he's not interested anymore.

• RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

A HIND D?

That and crossed with A-10 Thunderbolt II.

Ah ok, yeah I see the reissued one still alive and kicking. Wonder how long they'll run this one.
    Athenor wrote: »

I just found out that the VW T1 Camper Van was the longest run so far.

I picked up the VW T1 Camper Van last year at reduced price. Haven't put it together but I like the red and white color scheme, and it's a model of van that my wife likes and often pines after.

Ketar wrote: »

I cannot tell you how relieved I am that my son, who has been asking about this set for months, was immediately turned off by how big it is and told me he's not interested anymore.

wow I would have assumed that kids would always want bigger sets with more pieces

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

wow I would have assumed that kids would always want bigger sets with more pieces

At a certain point they get to be too big to play with the way he wants to. Too unwieldy for proper swooshing. He wants a Republic Gunship, but smaller and better sized for all of his figures.

It's also just disproportionately large compared to most of his other Star Wars Lego and he didn't like the idea of it being bigger than his capital ships.

At a certain point they get to be too big to play with the way he wants to. Too unwieldy for proper swooshing. He wants a Republic Gunship, but smaller and better sized for all of his figures.

It's also just disproportionately large compared to most of his other Star Wars Lego and he didn't like the idea of it being bigger than his capital ships.

I'm of the same mind. It's why I haven't gotten the UCS Millennium Falcon and Imperial Star Destroyer. Too costly, too big, unswooshable, and an absolute display space hog. I'd love an updated Republic Gunship in the minifig play scale since the last one was 2013 and expensive on the aftermarket.

Much smarter kid than I ever was.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I'm rebuilding the 3-in-1 Lego store mirroring the instructions and increasing the floor heights to make it fit with the modular city street we've got going. It's surprisingly easy to do once I spread out a bunch of pieces I could use.

So I got confused by the way the floors were stacked and actually tore down half of two sets and only realized what I had done when I was lost in the instruction manuals. Durp. Not to be deterred I made the barber shop with higher walls and the corner lego store with first floor for an extended rooftop garden.

For the extra layers of bricks I tried to use neutral colors that would fit in well with the color scheme of the floor. If you're planning to do this then I would recommend grabbing plenty of 1x1, 2x1 and 2x2 bricks. Some longer pieces can be efficient for structural strength, but the detail of these sets make it so you mostly need to fit in smaller pieces. Make sure the layers do not mess with the look of the facades: it is more pleasing to look at extra rows near the ceiling of bottom of the floor.

The corner store is completely mirrored as well, so it would fit on the left side of the street.

Next up is trying to improve of the street, because the actual Modulars have a wider pedestrian zone. And then there is a 2F pet store with apartment left.

It is my partner's Lego, but she is kinda done with building stuff for the moment. I'm just kinda living 8yo me's dream of building a (Potemkin) town.
    m2u7tq5l6gab.jpg
    997ppkwhn33l.jpg
    2mgbkf71cs84.jpg

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I started LEGO in the 70's with generic city stuff. In the 80's, I had a couple of Space sets, and my brother had some stuff. Enough for us to play endlessly with them.

In the 2000s I bought one of the alien UFO looking sets, a small one, and was not enthusiastic about it. But I've been looking at the Saturn V and the Lunar Lander and wanting those. Reading through this thread has gotten me wishlisting about $3000 worth of stuff on the Walmart app, and I think I might drop a couple hundred dollars on several of the smaller sets. Then I might pick up a few bigger sets here and there. I've definitely spent more than that on Warhammer.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I finally acquired the Adam West Batmobile. It has two firsts for me.

1: Stickers that go on a 1x1 tile. Never seen a sticker go on such a small piece. Guess they couldn't find a use for a printed 1x1 with a parachute on it.

2: It comes with extra pieces to remove the stud shooters on the hood and replace them with more accurate slopes.

I want to see more of these small scale UCS sets. The spinning stand and sign are nice as well!

I only wish it also came with Burt Ward Robin.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

1: Stickers that go on a 1x1 tile. Never seen a sticker go on such a small piece. Guess they couldn't find a use for a printed 1x1 with a parachute on it.

2: It comes with extra pieces to remove the stud shooters on the hood and replace them with more accurate slopes.

I want to see more of these small scale UCS sets. The spinning stand and sign are nice as well!

It didn't come with Robin?!

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

It didn't come with Robin?!

Nope. Just Adam West and Cesar Romero

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I started building the Daily Bugle! It's amazing.

Turns out I have quite a few duplicate minifigs from it though. Actually went outta my way to purchase the Miles Morales, Doc Ock and Mysterio minifigs recently, thinking I was never gonna get the sets they were in and now, oops! Got em twice. (Got this monstery Sandman at the same time, and he's cooler than the one included in the Bugle set IMO!)

Oh brilliant
    Very good progress tonight on the Barracuda. I got through bag 10, which means I think I just have one more section of hull to go, and then the bags that let you convert it from the bay to the ship.

vJXUTzxh.jpg

Man. I've built 3 big sets now since April, just working on them while over at my folks for the weekend. I want to keep this going.

I am torn between the Bugle and the Typewriter. I think I'm leaning more towards the typewriter, given my love of writing and lack of skyscraper space.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Bought my first two sets to test the water, so to speak. Got the Space Rover Explorer and the Mars Research Shuttle. So far, built the Rover, which looks more like a survival land cruiser. I think I will probably buy more.

a9uy81tiuf3e.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Man, the older LEGO sets are expensive!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Someone had the Yard Find of the century, $150 for what appears to be somewhere north of $1500 of Lego.
    Content warning: may induce jealousy
    https://imgur.com/gallery/kol6wM5

edited July 2021
    Snagged myself a Ninjago Destiny's Bounty set (the latest 2020 version). I don't watch or follow the show at all but this ship build speaks to me. I own the Garmadon Shark Mecha Submarine and that's a fantastically ridiculous and fun build so I figure it needed a good guy boat to square off against.

Raiju on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Do we tell them how many sets can connect to the Destiny's bounty? Or do we let them keep their innocence a while longer

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Do we tell them how many sets can connect to the Destiny's bounty? Or do we let them keep their innocence a while longer

It's a good thing that the Ninjago City Docks and similar sets are sold out for the sake of my wallet, lol.

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Man I just spent way too much but whatever. I wanted to take advantage of the free sets and double vip points so 5 days ago I got

Hogsmeade Village
    Classic Batmobile
    Bro Thor Hangout

And then to push me over the $150 limit for free gifts I added a duplo animal train set for my 5 month old to slobber on. Which got me

The Addias Shoe
    Dickens Tribute

I was hoping the VIP points would come in before tonight, but they didn't, so I went ahead and got the Seinfeld set anyway at midnight.

So once the huge double points purchase comes in, and the points from Seinfeld, combined with the points I still have (2600 I think?) I am very hopeful for a hefty chunk taken off some Christmas set (rumor is the Home Alone house is coming...)

I have a ton to build but my wallet is screaming.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Yeah the VIP points only show up after they ship. Nice haul for the points.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Man, the older LEGO sets are expensive!

Yes and No as some of the castle sets are slightly more than they would be at retail but like anything just wait and see as you will find deals every so often

Shame that we didn't get the Seinfeld set when the double VIP Points was still active. Ah well, I spent way too much anyway on other stuff as it was. Gonna hold off on that one until the next double VIP promotion event.

Built up and then made some mods to the Lego Creator 3-in-1 Space Mining Mech 31115. I elongated the abdomen area so it's not so squat and gave it a waist swivel (used some upside down building techniques there with headlight pieces and a large turntable) along with ankle tilt.

I modded the shoulderpads (so they can fold inward) and feet slightly (mostly heel spurs combined with the ankle tilt), and rebuilt the backpack in black (didn't like the original yellow) and made the jet boosters bigger. Also gave it a giant gatling cannon on top and some arm cannons for the left arm. The spinning buzzsaw arm is pretty good as is.

Oh, and I enlarged the cockpit slightly so it can fit a spaceman figure with the air tank accessory. I haven't given it knee articulation yet so that might be my next upgrade. I really like how this came out!

znpgudyndciw.jpg
    narc40jpoo71.jpg
    61enyinxfpun.jpg
    zr79g3cj4y59.jpg

Unpacked the haunted house, put it where it is going to live for now after making sure everything worked after the transport from my folks place home.

5iaT7Ieh.jpg

I probably posted this thing way too many times before, but here it is again, improved with more modifications and populated with minifigs to boot.

Brickmania's Offworld Colonial Marines APC M577 based on James Cameron's Aliens movie, heavily modified to be a bit more accurate. Took inspiration from Larry Lars's awesome custom APC along with Missing Brick's (both have Flickr accounts with lots of cool MOC photos).

thw5bqekbzra.jpg
    eswdwjm8de0w.jpg
    86x10rwhl178.jpg
    7u5ggjfckbsw.jpg

Spoilered for length (interior shots; not the best, admittedly, I'll try to get better photos next time with the whole top and back end opened up).

Minifigures inside are custom Aliens (aka Xenomorph Hunters) minifigs from Minifigs.me along with some MOCs of Lt. Gorman and Carter Burke (Burke and his evil smile there):
    b701g1cxk1gf.jpg
    r4jaqk5sjc75.jpg
    stytav0mnwgf.jpg
    d8bj8izy6m3v.jpg

Lastly, custom minifigures of the Alien 1 cast from Minifigs.me - plus a custom Xenomorph Alien build that I came up with. Very cool figs and even includes Jonesy the cat. The facehugger print on Kane's helmet is particularly well done.

6z2sbkpcx7de.jpg

mecha.... shark doot doot doot doot doot do

I want to both awesome your find and this part. Especially this part.

oosik_betsuni.png
This discussion has been closed.