As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WOOF WOOF: It's a Dog Thread

167891012»

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    e6pjge5sc7pr.jpg

Brie pre-being shorn and having surgery

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    What a coincidence that both your brother and his wife's dog had the same subluxated patellar issue!

:rotate:

Also yeah good fuckin' luck keeping any 1-year-old dog to sit still and heal.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    We had that with both of our Doodles back legs poor thing, the initial recovery was pretty easy, but once it got better enough that she forgot she had a "bad" leg, she'd put just a little too much effort in and we'd be back 2 steps again. Ah well.

The real kicker is that she remembers all this so if she's in trouble she will sometimes try a full soccer player "oh god my knee, my knee, this is probably terminal and I should have a biscuit" flop

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    My brother and his wife's dog (a whopping huge great pyrenees named Brienne) had a luxated patella so they had to do surgery. She is one year old this month. They have to keep a super high energy LGD entertained and relatively stationary for two months while the surgery heals.

I cannot even conceive of how they will survive sane.

Dog weed?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's heating up here so Stanley was suffering with his majestic mane. I kept finding him in the shower:
    JHvBJLPl.jpg

A couple of hours at the groomer for a proper hand-stripping and he looks like a puppy again, pictured here with the £15 "tough" doggie ball that took 5 minutes for him to destroy entirely
    HHhpdCBl.jpg

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Does he seem noticeably cooler? I mean temperature wise, I can see he looks :cool: cooler

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Does he seem noticeably cooler? I mean temperature wise, I can see he looks :cool: cooler

Most definitely. He was running around the back garden in circles celebrating and we managed a walk around the block without him stopping to have a rest in the shade.

Carrying around an entire other dog's worth of dead hair on your back certainly doesn't help your insulation

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If I fits, I sings.

hbfv2kbgy2mw.jpg

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So last night my wife was walking Willow and Lilah and there was another dog and Lilah slipper her collar to go after it and was run over by someone who just happened to turn the corner at the exact wrong time.

We kept her warm last night but she wasn’t moving her back legs and her breathing was ragged l. My wife took her into the vet this morning and we had to put her down.

She was 9 years old and we’d had her since she was small enough to fit into the pouch of my wife’s hoodie. That’s actually how I met her the first time. She snuck her in her hoodie pouch while
    I was working at Best Buy.

You know, she was a gigantic shit head as dachshunds usually are but she was family and this hurts really fucking bad.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    God Raijin, I'm so sorry to hear that. Having to put down a pet is always hard, but having to do it so suddenly and unexpectedly hurts even worse.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Jesus, Raijin, that's awful, I'm so sorry

What an absolute nightmare

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It’s done and she’s literally in our mud room in a bag and wrapped in a blanket because my wife’s boss was being an absolute shit head so we’re going to wait until after she gets off work and go bury her at her mom’s house next to her mom’s dog that passed last year. They were good friends.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm really sorry, man.

Thank you to everyone. We’ll all be ok. Just a tough day.

• ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    It is with a very sad heart that I must report that we had to put our pooch Gimli to sleep Saturday. He was 14, and had a cancerous growth on his chest that was turning south. We could never take him to the vet for a variety of reasons, and always said that as long as he was his normal self otherwise we'd keep his life vet free. Even at 14, other than needing his doggie steps we got him for getting up onto the sofa, he was lively. Always looking for food or paper products to steal from a table or desk.

All that changed that morning. He collapsed in the yard when let out to do his business, and he couldn't get up. My wife was watching him and she said he looked so tired and couldn't get back up. He didn't even put up a fuss as my wife and daughter picked him up and put him in a cart - and he would make a fuss if he was well. They brought him in the house on the cart so I could say goodbye before they brought him to the vet. My wife said he was the best boy for the vet.

He was at least part dachshund and thus a cantankerous bastard a lot of the time, but I loved him all the same.

Rest in Power, old man. May you get to chew all the paper across the Rainbow Bridge.

This is a picture of my first time meeting Gimli around 13 years ago. My wife got him shortly before we started dating.
    s4edtfrlooi8.jpg

And here's a picture of the old soldier just before he was taken to the vet
    mgnur9shd0ks.jpg

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    My deepest condolences to you and your family. I know how you’re feeling right now and it really fucking sucks.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, ironsizide. saying goodbye sucks.

• ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Thanks y'all. Each day it gets better at least.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    This is Oliver. 8 week old basset hound puppy.
    QSuU9bK.jpg
    8gD7pat.jpg

His Mom's family were dogsitting another basset and keeping them separate, but I guess nature finds a way. They couldn't keep the puppies, and somehow were having problems finding homes for them. They knew I loved bassets, so they offered to give me this handsome boy for free.

It's only been a few days, but he seems to be quite smart. He loves to fetch his toys, which is hit or miss with bassets. Hopefully it sticks, because it makes giving them exercise so much easier. I've raised bassets before, so I know some quirks with the breed, but they have all been from rescues, so this puppy thing is new to me. We are doing crate training and pee pads (which he hasn't needed so far, luckily). I've read/watched a ton of information on puppies, but would love to hear some tips from you guys if you have any.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    This is Oliver. 8 week old basset hound puppy.
    QSuU9bK.jpg
    8gD7pat.jpg

His Mom's family were dogsitting another basset and keeping them separate, but I guess nature finds a way. They couldn't keep the puppies, and somehow were having problems finding homes for them. They knew I loved bassets, so they offered to give me this handsome boy for free.

It's only been a few days, but he seems to be quite smart. He loves to fetch his toys, which is hit or miss with bassets. Hopefully it sticks, because it makes giving them exercise so much easier. I've raised bassets before, so I know some quirks with the breed, but they have all been from rescues, so this puppy thing is new to me. We are doing crate training and pee pads (which he hasn't needed so far, luckily). I've read/watched a ton of information on puppies, but would love to hear some tips from you guys if you have any.

What're the quirks of the breed? Only ever met one of them and he was much older!

See if you can find a socialization checklist you like. The one I prefer is the Louisiana SPCA one here:

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.louisianaspca.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Puppy-Socialization-Checklist.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwip58Dd37nyAhVOhOAKHQicBWsQFnoECAYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0sCLsY3zSaox0yqJBUgooX

A checklist should have a series of things to expose your puppy to - people, places, people wearing specific articles of clothing, etc. I like in particular that this one lets you record the reaction the puppy had, so you can remember what they had issues with/what to work on.

Puppy classes aren't a bad idea but honestly, we don't see much of a developmental difference from them in basic obedience classes aside from being a little less nervous the first class, so don't worry if you can't fit them into the schedule. If you're able, see if you can find a basic obedience class to join around 16 weeks, even if you already know how to train a pup. The socialization in a safe space is what you're really paying for, if you already know basic obedience well, and if not then you're getting even more out of it!

Also if your dog hasn't gotten their second parvo shot yet, be very very very cautious about where you take them. Parvo does not fuck around and can kill a puppy. Keep them on asphalt/in a space you know where other dogs aren't (your yard is fine, but avoid the park), and don't let them smell urine/feces on the street, until they have had their second shot. Honestly the most important thing.

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    My neighbor's puppy (Read: 11 month old golden retriever) is currently Very Sad, because NZ just went down into lockdown again... And i'm her usual dogwalker, whom she adores. I'm pretty sure she already dosent really understand why i don't live their, and probably considers my flat to be an extension of her house that she only visits sometimes, but being able to see me outside my house doing things and nto come over she is very disapointed.

Poor fluffy beast, i will give her so many cuddles once lockdown is over (and probably tell her to stop bouncing - she still thinks she's a tiny wee thing who can bounce at people, other dogs, cats, anything she wants to be friends with, which is everything ,and hasnt figured out how big she's gotten)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891