As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Double Reverse Irony

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Double Reverse Irony

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I have no idea what's going on, but there are steamy ironies and I want in

doompooky on
    we7ek91hy97o.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Given that it's pre-ordered out to Q3 next year for the top end model, either there are a lot of people willing to spend $699 on being ironic, or there's a lot more confidence in Valve being able to get Anti-Cheat working than Tycho is willing to credit.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The Steam Deck isn't compatible with anti-cheat software? Which software?

• Options
    islingtonislington Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Any Game that doesn't support Proton basically. Valve has indicated they are reaching out to aid in development to get them functional on the linux platform, but who knows. That said it is also entirely possible to just install windows on the device, it is afterall a pc.
    V1m wrote: »
    Given that it's pre-ordered out to Q3 next year for the top end model, either there are a lot of people willing to spend $699 on being ironic, or there's a lot more confidence in Valve being able to get Anti-Cheat working than Tycho is willing to credit.

I think its a reasonable position, you should buy a thing based on what its capable today( at least what they have demonstrated it is capable of), not what they promise to deliver tomorrow.

islington on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

Neither? I have about zero interest in online shooty things, and Valve doesn't seem to be making that many Decks, with initial preorders around the hundreds of thousands. This sort of scale is fine for a PC that already has a healthy game ecosystem, but its not remotely on the scale of successful consoles, so the amount of interest is rather limited and hardcore compared to the Switch it is put up against so often.
    Apparently all of them? And this come down to trying to run windows games on linux. There is work being done with some vendors but no promises at this point.

• Options
    JoshSJoshS Registered User new member
    I'm excited and I neither want a portable game machine nor can afford to buy one.

And that's because steam games will be running under the Windows emulator/setup Proton on Linux. And that means that game companies will spend effort to make sure their games run on Linux that way.

And that means that Microsoft will never be able to pull a Windows 11 on gamers again and make them buy new hardware or a new license just because Microsoft feels like it.

And it also means that if you have to work on Linux you can also game on it.

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I'm a single-player gamer so the anti-cheat thing isn't something I've encountered while running my games on linux.
    Besides, you can install Windows on the Deck anyway, so that would nullify all those associated problems.

In any case, I'm not betting everything on Valve's success here, but it'll be interesting to see where it goes. Worst-case scenario is that it's a regular PC, just at a price cheaper than a normal gaming PC.

Bropocalypse on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Fuck, they've said Double Reverse Irony in a podcast once, now I want to find it to hear it out loud, but there's like 9 years of podcasts.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    islington wrote: »

Any Game that doesn't support Proton basically. Valve has indicated they are reaching out to aid in development to get them functional on the linux platform, but who knows. That said it is also entirely possible to just install windows on the device, it is afterall a pc.

I think its a reasonable position, you should buy a thing based on what its capable today( at least what they have demonstrated it is capable of), not what they promise to deliver tomorrow.

You can't buy it today though. It will be available around Christmas.

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular

Arguably, since it's a PC, it already does everything you know a PC can do. The only difference is that it's portable.

• Options
    islingtonislington Registered User regular

It wasn't the actual point I was making, but yeah, I will still stand behind it in this context, Pre-orders are BS, I don't really feel that Gabe/Valve should be Kickstarting shit with what they got in the bank.

That said, I was really just saying, if the games you want to play on this thing don't run proton for their Anti-Cheat, don't give them money until they solve the problem, a hamburger tomorrow and all that...

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    I don't follow stuff like the Steam Deck so I don't really have any relevant contributions to the conversation, but this comic reminds me of the irony-poisoned apocalypse survivor group from Yahtzee Croshaw's "Jam" who ironically execute people for crimes against their ironic religion, resulting in very much unironic deaths.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    It just occurred to me that Steam Deck might be a Shadowrun reference?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

It wasn't the actual point I was making, but yeah, I will still stand behind it in this context, Pre-orders are BS, I don't really feel that Gabe/Valve should be Kickstarting shit with what they got in the bank.

That said, I was really just saying, if the games you want to play on this thing don't run proton for their Anti-Cheat, don't give them money until they solve the problem, a hamburger tomorrow and all that...

They aren't taking the full sack o money now. It's $5 to reserve one, then you decide if you want to pay later.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Cyberdecks are something Shadowrun assimilated from William Gibson's cyberpunk novel Neuromancer, so while the name for Valve's device might be an homage, it is unlikely to be to that particular IP.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Cyberdecks are something Shadowrun assimilated from William Gibson's cyberpunk novel Neuromancer, so while the name for Valve's device might be an homage, it is unlikely to be to that particular IP.

I was thinking it was likely to be something from cyberpunk as a whole but I wasn't sure.

• Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I put $5 down and wait for more reviews. I'm a single player gamer so I'm not playing competitively online, and this thing may actually run games better than the desktop I built in 2014 which used already dated hardware. I haven't been able to build a new rig since then because if I can even find a graphics card, it's more than the price of my whole budget. This thing could bring me forward in time and be portable at the same time.

lionheartssj on
  • Options
    zero-pointzero-point Registered User new member
    "We all need money."