As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[New World] Where we ask the REAL questions! Like, "What is Launch?"

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Apparently the New World menu is coloni...bricking people's 3090 cards. I mean, it's not New World's fault, it's a hardware/driver fault that allows that sort of thing to happen, but yeah, it is a thing that is happening so be careful.

https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/oobi56/did_the_new_world_beta_brick_your_gpu/

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeahhhhhh. I almost picked this up last night, to play around in the beta....but guess who has an EVGA FTW3 3090 and has two thumbs? This guy. It seems to be hitting my card in particularly high numbers for some reason.

There has to be some strange dance of death going on at the driver level because software, no matter what it does, shouldn't generally be able to brick a GPU...the GPU should fail safe itself.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, yikes, especially if you have an EVGA 3090 FTW3. That seems to be the main card affected. I've got a 3080 and noticed it was stressing my card so went in and capped the frames just to be safe. I wonder when people will learn to stop doing dumb stuff like uncapped menus. I'm wondering if it's related to a very sudden power spike because of some of the really unoptimized stuff in the game that the card just can't handle. Would maybe explain why it's not happening with other games, but yeah, almost certainly this is the game revealing a flaw in those cards specifically. Sucks either way, hopefully it's something that can be resolved via drivers or firmware.

edited July 2021
    I'd be curious to see data on how many of the people having issues were using something like Precision X1/Afterburner to raise power and temp limits on their card. I'd agree it's likely something to do with an uncapped view in the game suddenly spiking the card past a safe power limit and possibly blowing a power component. Power/VRM components don't change state instantly and even if there are fail safes in place there could be a weak link VRM component that this is exposing. That would explain why it hits one card more than others, as each AIB partner sources their own power components. It's likely the GPU's themselves (e.g. the silicon) is fine but some power component is popping.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is this something that could be mitigated or avoided by simply not spending a lot of time on the menu?

edited July 2021
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is this something that could be mitigated or avoided by simply not spending a lot of time on the menu?

People are saying turning on the FPS limiter in the game seems to stop the big power/heat spikes they are seeing. Other people are seeing the issue, it's just not killing their cards.

e: Also a patch is coming. The wording is the most corporate of belch speak way to say "We promise, there's no problem here, we've seen no problem...but if there was a problem, here's a patch to fix it"....but hey, it's a patch. Caps frame rates in menus. This PC Gamer story has been updated with info: https://www.pcgamer.com/amazon-new-world-killing-rtx-3090-gpus/

GnomeTank on
    I couldn't tell you why devs let their menus run uncapped, this isn't the first game to have a problem with that and almost certainly won't be the last.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I dont think it is a themepark mmo. It does not give off that vibe.

The game is supposed to be about doing the same things you do at max level while leveling I think. Though I did see there is a max level battleground type deal.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    It looks way better than I expected and been hearing a lot of positive word of mouth on this.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    wow that's pretty frightening... i'm surprised that the hardware layer would even allow it...

Jasconius wrote: »
    wow that's pretty frightening... i'm surprised that the hardware layer would even allow it...

Yeah, it shouldn't, which is why it's likely there's something wrong with these cards to begin with. Like they couldn't handle the sudden power draw of New World suddenly spiking in FPS on load. I'm sure in a week or two we'll have some people who have been able to get to the bottom of it.

Anyway, the patch seems to be out now, so at least they were fairly quick about it. Hopefully it helps!

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

People are saying turning on the FPS limiter in the game seems to stop the big power/heat spikes they are seeing. Other people are seeing the issue, it's just not killing their cards.

e: Also a patch is coming. The wording is the most corporate of belch speak way to say "We promise, there's no problem here, we've seen no problem...but if there was a problem, here's a patch to fix it"....but hey, it's a patch. Caps frame rates in menus. This PC Gamer story has been updated with info: https://www.pcgamer.com/amazon-new-world-killing-rtx-3090-gpus/

It's "this may be a problem, but not a problem that's our fault in a way where you could sue us for damages."

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I fired this back up last night, and the first hour of PvE felt exactly the same as it was a year ago. It was my understanding that they pushed things back a lot to give them time to improve on things, especially the PvE experience. Right now, it's not showing.

I might grind my teeth on it for a few more hours, but I had zero enthusiasm for logging back in. It was my understanding that they pushed things back a lot to give them time to improve on things, especially the PvE experience.

Right now, it's not showing.

That was one of the random thoughts I posted on the previous page.

I haven't played it myself, but I've watched as much as probably 6 hours of streaming of the game, and from what I've seen, there isn't any compelling PVE content at all at the lower levels. It looks like extremely generic kill/fetch/gather quests with not much by way of context or engagement.

there have been great MMOs with terrible PVE... its just a question of what else is built around the game to support it

there have been great MMOs with terrible PVE...

Mmm...not sure about that one.

wg03ybe2pvcd.png

There have been great MMO's with meaningless PvE, but I'm not sure about bad. It at least has to be something I want to engage with even if that engagement is the level of a popcorn flick. If it's just bad that's a very different thing.

edited July 2021
    well its all subjective

SWG is a game lot of people look back fondly on and it had essentially no PVE at all, I'm barely exaggerating. but it was all organized around social and pvp, so it worked

i can't tell if new world is pursuing that philosophy or not from watching videos

but if the PVE is bad but it gets people out in the world beating the shit out of each other, and the pvp is fun and rewarding, then that's a decent recipe

Jasconius on
    Luring PvErs out to a killing field via PvE objections so that they can be slaughtered over and over again by PvPers is a formula that has never, ever worked.

edited July 2021
    I love objective based PVP in nearly every genre. MOBAs (especially Heroes of the Storm) where PVP happens as a result of trying to complete an objective. I also super duper love Conquest mode in the Battlefield series, and modes similar to that. I'm not a big fan of deathmatch and other open-ended match types.

I think the problem I've had is that most MMOs tend to fail to capture the spirit of these objective-based PVP scenarios in an open world environment. WoW PVP succeeds in it's battlegrounds by instancing it. But WoW has largely failed at all of its open-world attempts. With the exception of Wintergrasp, which I think people generally enjoyed. I know I enjoyed Wintergrasp. But Wintergrasp succeeded by being tightly controlled by scheduling and pre-determined match times, and in between those times PVP was largely non-existent and when it did happen it was fairly pointless.

But games that are fully (or largely) focused on PVP in open world scenarios have struggled to find long-term success. Maybe the best PVP only happens during matches and scheduled events? I don't know. It's an interesting thing to think about.

Lucascraft on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Luring PvErs out to a killing field via PvE objections so that they can be slaughtered over and over again by PvPers is a formula that has never, ever worked.

And that's what it always feels like. It feels like the games put objectives or wants for PVE players in PVP stuff so you can be the meat for the grinder of the poop socking pvp players. They get to have fun, you do not.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I love objective based PVP in nearly every genre. MOBAs (especially Heroes of the Storm) where PVP happens as a result of trying to complete an objective. I also super duper love Conquest mode in the Battlefield series, and modes similar to that. I'm not a big fan of deathmatch and other open-ended match types.

I think the problem I've had is that most MMOs tend to fail to capture the spirit of these objective-based PVP scenarios in an open world environment. WoW PVP succeeds in it's battlegrounds by instancing it. But WoW has largely failed at all of its open-world attempts. With the exception of Wintergrasp, which I think people generally enjoyed. I know I enjoyed Wintergrasp. But Wintergrasp succeeded by being tightly controlled by scheduling and pre-determined match times, and in between those times PVP was largely non-existent and when it did happen it was fairly pointless.

But games that are fully (or largely) focused on PVP in open world scenarios have struggled to find long-term success. Maybe the best PVP only happens during matches and scheduled events? I don't know. It's an interesting thing to think about.

I think the biggest issue with world pvp in any game is by its nature it encourages shitty behavior (corpse camping, gang bangs of lower level players, taunting and other asshole moves) and rewards that as gameplay. "Just get better noobs" means shit when it's a 20 on 5.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Best MMO PvP I've played (granted, not that I've done a lot of MMO PvP) was Guild Wars 1 Guild versus Guild and Heroes' Ascent, although that was long enough ago I might be viewing the game through nostalgia

I do wonder why no one has tried to copy Heroes' Ascent's eternal tournament style thingy, though

I think companies keep chasing PvP MMOs because it's player creating content/engagement for other players, and that's cheaper than having to make all content for the players

I guess EVE Online has cracked that code for its sizable but limited playerbase

I am interested in seeing if New World can do it, too, but I'm very much in the wait and see camp. I feel like a game like this needs to be out for a couple months before we can know if its PvP content can stay fun or if it settles into some kind of unfun mob rush or other pattern

EVE isn't a PvP game. A vast majority of players and their time is spent engaging in PvE and/or doing everything they can to play without PvP.

• BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    Been playing the beta. Mostly I've just been fishing, its quite enjoyable. Plus I got the title "feeling crappy". So, there's that. Can't say I'm seeing a lot of differences from the Beta a year ago, and with so many graphical bugs, misplaced subtitles, and lack of resource balance, I don't know that it would actually be ready by the end of August. I suppose its possible this isn't their most recent build and they're just using it to load test the servers.
    As to the GPU fiasco, I'm running a 2080TI. It runs the game at around 90FPS but it blows like a harrier jet warming up. So, I capped it at 30 and lowered graphic settings from very high to just high. It helped some, but it sets my GPU to huffing and puffing from time to time and I've been having a problem where the game just freezes and crashes. Oh well.
    Overall, I've enjoyed it. Story wise, its still kind of empty, but I played the LOTRO beta and it was much the same. I imagine a lot of final polish has yet to be added.

• CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    I'm not that impressed. The game looks (and runs) nice but there are a lot of strange or unimaginative/lazy design decisions:

1) The skills trees for the weapons aren't particularly interesting. And you only get THREE active skills at once? I guess fewer skills mean you don't have to spend much time balancing them...

2) The factions all have the same starting towns and when a faction "captures" a town nothing changes. You're supposed to be at war with these guys and yet everyone is chilling at the forge together. The other faction quest givers don't even leave town.

3) World PvP is basically getting killed by higher level players until you turn off your PvP flag. No justice system to punish players griefing lower levels (or to encourage other high level players to hunt them down). What about mobs that hunt high level players in low level zones? It's 2021 and this is the system they came up with? It just seems like they didn't have time or resources to do anything interesting.

4) Quests are standard WoW fetch/kill quests. The quests shouldn't feel exactly like quests from a game that came out in 2004. At least GW2 added public quests/events.

5) THERE'S NO SWIMMING. WTF.

I really wanted to like New World but it just seems boring or unfinished.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I played in the early start and the early early start (whatever they are calling all that now), and while they've implemented changes (many of which sound community-driven), it's still the same shell of a game even compared to cheaper MMO launches in the last few years.

That said, with money like Amazon (can Ama$on be the new Texa$?), they've got an engine that could totally do things. I mean, Fortnite launched as a mediocre base builder (I'm not defending Fortnite creatively - moreso just nothing that iteration is a lot more common in online games than it was back in the mists when some of us dug in to AC/EQ/UO.

That said, I think it's gonna tank like a mother...

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Warhammer Online pvp was my favorite. Tug o' war style land claiming in the realm vs realm areas that end with essentially a pvp raid scenario. I think if the game ran smoothly at launch, it would be the gold standard for how to run pvp.

if it has pvp like warhammer that would be really good

it came to my attention that you can buy your way into the beta... I gave it an hour... my impressions were mixed...

For one those screenshots on the website are hella doctored. The practical graphics are okayish but have all kinds of ugly rough edges. It at least runs somewhat decently for a beta.

It feels like I am looking at the scaffolding of what one day might become a good game... its got all the framework... systems on top of systems... but I didn't see a lot of meat on the bone, even the tutorial feels desperately rushed.

Seems like one of those MMOs that might be good if it can somehow survive to its second expansion... I don't know what their business model is, but if they aren't planning on playing the long game on this one then it's DOA

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Public events definitely exist and start popping up around level 25. First dungeon is also level 25.

That would actually be fine if the leveling speed were faster. It feels artificially slow, like they reduced it to 50% of baseline and I can't help but think that's to sell boosts. Level-to-level there's almost nothing to look forward to.

There is a fun exploration Valheim sort of experience in there if you want it. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. There's actually been a community formed entirely around hating the covenant guild that took over the starting city and turbo fucked everyone on taxes and fees and it's kinda refreshing to not have flying or mounts and actually run into the wild.

The PVP doesn't have to exist at all. You can only flag in a town and so far there's no reason to unless you actually feel like fighting others. Because you can't flag once in the wild you can't even get baited by someone diving in front of you or into an AOE, which is nice.

Edit:

Like -

World feels like a world, not a series of autorun or fast travel routes. Outposts and towns are busy but roaming around isn't flooded with people.

Combat response seems like it's improved, though that may just be server upgrades. Sound effects are snappy and dodging sometimes feels good.

Dislike -

Afraid that 3 skills per weapon might get old.

Stats are vague and unintuitive. This is bad for such a numbers heavy game. Weapons sure don't seem balanced. Focus is only for healing and no other weapon scales with it.

Healing isn't very interesting most of the time.

As previously mentioned, leveling is SLOW and only getting slower. Even weapon mastery is very slow considering it's mostly passives.

Crafting doesn't scale at the same rate as your equipment needs, even if you dedicate serious time to it. I suspect this solves itself at max level. For leveling though it's not viable (so far) to equip yourself with things you made.

Will update.

dispatch.o on
    edited July 2021
    I watched a bunch more streams of this over the weekend. Now that people are starting to get higher in the levels, they've started into the PVP side of the game.

I think honestly my biggest concern is faction imbalance. It's a problem in WoW. It's a problem in Pokemon Go. It was a problem in Planetside back in 2002.

I guess what I want to know is this - Does Amazon have any sort of plan in place to promote and encourage maintaining faction balance on servers? What sort of incentives are present in the game to get people to join an under-populated faction?

Also, on another PVP related topic, I watched someone do some sort of siege/war activity last night, and it looked like an absolute shitshow. It was pure chaos, it was very laggy, people were having extremely long load times just to load into the scenario, and once they got in, very often they were nearly instantly vaporized by cannon fire, only to have to respawn and sit through another excessive load screen. This doesn't instill a very high level of confidence, given the game is roughly a month away from retail launch.

Lucascraft on
    I watched a bunch more streams of this over the weekend. Now that people are starting to get higher in the levels, they've started into the PVP side of the game.

I think honestly my biggest concern is faction imbalance. It's a problem in WoW. It's a problem in Pokemon Go. It was a problem in Planetside back in 2002.

I guess what I want to know is this - Does Amazon have any sort of plan in place to promote and encourage maintaining faction balance on servers? What sort of incentives are present in the game to get people to join an under-populated faction?

Also, on another PVP related topic, I watched someone do some sort of siege/war activity last night, and it looked like an absolute shitshow. It was pure chaos, it was very laggy, people were having extremely long load times just to load into the scenario, and once they got in, very often they were nearly instantly vaporized by cannon fire, only to have to respawn and sit through another excessive load screen. This doesn't instill a very high level of confidence, given the game is roughly a month away from retail launch.

Come on lucas its a beta, clearly they can resolve all these issues in a month.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Apparently they found a few issues related to the last patch that were ruining the network performance for a lot of people. Allegedly they're fixing some portion of that this morning with a patch.

Faction balance is interesting because there's no requirement you flag for PvP. So while one faction may have 90% of the player base who just want to get the associated discounts when they craft, there's nothing that guarantees that faction will have more people who do PvP. Generally even in the way back times of DAoC if one side was dominating (fuck you Midgaard) entire guilds would re-roll and change sides because they like being the underdog. In New World, you can just change faction once every 3 months without having to do any re-leveling or anything. It might end out lopsided, but that's kind of up to the individual servers and players.

I'd like to see an underdog bonus though. Perhaps the fewer territories you control the bigger the defensive bonuses your faction gets while you defend it or are flagged in that zone. Maybe introduce sentry/patrol NPC's that increase in number based on how much land you control. There are lots of solutions, I'm afraid they'll have to come up with them when the game is live though - which they may or may not do *and* it might be broken initially and for a while.

So far the game is solidly average and I'm enjoying it because it feels like Asherons Call.

Edit: There are lots of bugs with weapons that are causing an imbalance in PvP right now as well. Two handed axes hitting on the backswing and on the actual attack animation which deals like 400% the damage they should. Due to the lag and issues wit hitboxes, bows are really hard to use, people taking one handed axe, two handed axe and using the abilities to sprint around in full plate at consistently faster speeds than anyone can get away from.

It's janky but it's hard to not notice potential, but it's Amazon, they really like money.

dispatch.o on
    i don't put a lot of stock in lag/performance problems in beta because very small software details can have huge ripple effects and you can fix a lot of lag and a lot of framerate with REALLY minor changes...

what I'm more concerned about is systems, and unfortunately I don't really know enough about the systems to comment... other than that it seems like the game has an assload of systems and mechanics... which makes me feel like it's unlikely that Amazon will have all of that mastered by release...

so I see a very rough and tumble release, bordering on unplayable, while Amazon tries to figure out who actually likes their game and then seasons everything to that groups taste

so I see a very rough and tumble release, bordering on unplayable, while Amazon tries to figure out who actually likes their game and then seasons everything to that groups taste

Anecdotal to this specific point:

I follow quite a few Star Citizen streamers on Youtube and Twitch, and it has amused me greatly that nearly all of them, have at least temporarily flocked to New World. There is a huge amount of SC community who are playing New World right now. Obviously a lot of that is simply because SC's development has been glacial, but I'm genuinely interested to see long term retention rates of New World after the newness wears off.

I'll also point out that I, personally, have had very few lag issues (some, but nothing gamebreaking). All of the servers streamers are playing on are way overpopulated due to their popularity, so I suspect they're more prone to those issues.

Anyway, there's some things that I really like about this game and some things that I really don't like. I honestly couldn't really tell you if this is a good game or a bad game, heh. But what I can say is that I've been having fun playing it so even though I know I shouldn't invest a ton of time into it because beta it's hard to resist playing more. So yeah, definitely in for launch.

yeah i mean im probably gonna give it a good... 15 to 20 levels, however long it is to really take in the PVP and figure out if its real or a contrivance... and go from there.

it *sounds* bad, but i mean.. the pvp in star wars galaxies was bad too but i played the shit out of that. its all in the fine details

SWG massively succeeded in the social space and in the city builder space, and in the “live your best digital life” space.

It failed super hard at both PVE and PVP.

A lot of the beta reviews and impressions I’ve seen have been very positive about the community and world of New World. That might be enough to tide people over for a few months while more content is patched in and the game fleshed out.

If nothing else, this game has an extremely infectious air of optimism about it right now. People seem to be genuinely having a great time despite the flaws and bugs.

This is gonna be another Pokemon Go, isn't it? Poor yellow team :(
    641ps2mcft6r.png

hopefully they are agile to address it before it becomes too ingrained to fix

eve has a faction-like system with somewhat similar concepts to this covenant territory system but since players can essentially join any group at any time then oops everyone interested in the content just joins whichever faction happens to be winning at the time because there's absolutely no incentive to do otherwise