As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    gBAZ wrote: »
    Yay, my new pc arrived. It is up and running now.

Now I need a complete dirty list of windows settings for anything privacy related (as I know a lot of it is hidden/buried throughout windows10)

It's a little dated but try this

https://youtu.be/DSH1JwNPHA8

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    each of the 3 8pin PCIE connectors is using its own dedicated cable. the end of each of the cables has a 2nd 8pin connector, but I'm not those at all.

This was going to be my first response. Any damage you can see on the card or can you smell dead electronics?

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Any particular reason not to get the CPU+motherboard combos

(like so?)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    each of the 3 8pin PCIE connectors is using its own dedicated cable. the end of each of the cables has a 2nd 8pin connector, but I'm not those at all.

This was going to be my first response. Any damage you can see on the card or can you smell dead electronics?

negatory. while the q-codes seem to be highly variable, the Q-led does seem to be settling on white for VGA. some google hits suggested powering off monitor and switching from DP to HDMI, but no dice. another suggestion has been to reset CMOS.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

You're not accidentally using one of the CPU connectors right? I can't find a good high quality photo of the included cables, but it looks like it's only comes with a pair of 8pin to 6+2 connectors from their website. There's some other cables at the bottom of the photo I can't quite make out but appear to be 6 pin connectors with possible 6+2 adapters but that makes no sense so I'm not sure what they are.

I would go down to just a pair of cables and actually use the extra pinout on one of them and see if that solves your issue.

edited July 2021
    Mvrck wrote: »

You're not accidentally using one of the CPU connectors right? I can't find a good high quality photo of the included cables, but it looks like it's only comes with a pair of 8pin to 6+2 connectors from their website. There's some other cables at the bottom of the photo I can't quite make out but appear to be 6 pin connectors with possible 6+2 adapters but that makes no sense so I'm not sure what they are.

I would go down to just a pair of cables and actually use the extra pinout on one of them and see if that solves your issue.

done. removed the extra cable I added, now it's using the same two cables I used for the 2080, just now using the extra 6+2 at the end of one of the cables for the 3rd 8 pin. so far no change other than this time it seems to be holding at qcode 02 (microcode loading). At one point I did see qcode D6 which translates to "no console output device found" before it cycled through other codes, settling on 02. QLED cycles through red, yellow, and white a few times before settling on white (VGA).

It never seems to do the same thing twice. DOA?

EDIT. scratch that. cycled the power again, now it's back to that repeating sequence of qcodes I mentioned in my first post. 00-0a-07-53-de-ad

53 is the only one that indicates an actual error (memory initialization). I did have the system ram overclocked to the advertised speed on the ram (3600). but resetting the CMOS which I did earlier would have reset it back to default speed, no?

VoodooV on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

done. removed the extra cable I added, now it's using the same two cables I used for the 2080, just now using the extra 6+2 at the end of one of the cables for the 3rd 8 pin. so far no change other than this time it seems to be holding at qcode 02 (microcode loading). At one point I did see qcode D6 which translates to "no console output device found" before it cycled through other codes, settling on 02. QLED cycles through red, yellow, and white a few times before settling on white (VGA).

Everything work fine still if you swap back in the old card?

OrokosPA.png
    Infidel wrote: »

Everything work fine still if you swap back in the old card?

yup. removed the 3090, reinstalled the 2080. system posts and boots (after clearing all the errors I got after I reset CMOS).

When I was doing my wife's computer we ran into basically the same issue. Had a brand new Corsair PSU with plenty of juice to cover the 3080, but swapping it in was just failing to POST and inconsistent like this.

Eventually ruled out as much I could and went to the store and got a second of the same PSU, swapped it and everything just worked. Was a flakey PSU and got it returned and been set since.

OrokosPA.png
    the only thing I can think of what I might be able to do is that since the 2080 is a borrowed GPU. I might be able to plug the 3090 into the system I got the 2080 from and see if I can get that to POST, though I don't recall what the PSU wattage was on that. I just know it was upgraded to handle the 2080. don't believe I can use my old system as a test since that is a 750 watt PSU. (3090 recommended is a 850 watt as I recall).

the only thing I can think of what I might be able to do is that since the 2080 is a borrowed GPU. I might be able to plug the 3090 into the system I got the 2080 from and see if I can get that to POST, though I don't recall what the PSU wattage was on that. I just know it was upgraded to handle the 2080. don't believe I can use my old system as a test since that is a 750 watt PSU. (3090 recommended is a 850 watt as I recall).

That's how I ruled out suspecting the GPU as much, swapped it into my own after ripping out my GPU and saying fuck it, everything worked well there. Decided either a motherboard problem or PSU problem and PSU was the easier one to do.

OrokosPA.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Have you tried a different port on the power supply for the third 8-pin cable?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    VoodooV, when was the last time you updated your BIOS?

Maybe try that with the 2080 and then switch to the 3090. I had lots of memory issues until I did that even though my BIOS/board supported the 5900X I got.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I was going to suggest a BIOS update as well. Video cards do interact with your BIOS, and I've seen issues where an old BIOS caused post issues with a brand new video card.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    What are the most important things to look for in a motherboard? RAM/PCIE/USB slots? Assuming compatibility with the CPU which is obviously the most important thing.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    What are the most important things to look for in a motherboard? RAM/PCIE/USB slots? Assuming compatibility with the CPU which is obviously the most important thing.

Connectivity (USB, ethernet, sound), chipset, VRM components. Things like RAM slots and PCI-e slots are fairly standardized unless you need something very specific (e.g. 2 PCI-e x16 slots for SLI madness).

Connectivity is obvious. Get one with enough/right types of ports for your use case.
    Chipset is important depending on what features you need. This is going to be dictated first by your CPU, second by what level of features you need.
    VRM components may or may not be important depending on how high end of a CPU you plan to put in it.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021

Form factor and USB ports at a given price point, mainly. Don't spend over $150 unless you overclock as a hobby or profession.

Power delivery matters if you are running a 5950X or Core i7/i9, and in that case you should go out and look for specific guidance.

a5ehren on
    I disagree with the don't spend more than 150 dollars if you're putting a high end CPU on it....but value is a very subjective thing.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    VoodooV, when was the last time you updated your BIOS?

Maybe try that with the 2080 and then switch to the 3090. I had lots of memory issues until I did that even though my BIOS/board supported the 5900X I got.

I've got the latest bios....as of last week ago, looks like ASUS did just release another one that's less than a month old. Not sure how much that would help for a card that's been out for almost a year. but it does say it "improves system stability" (ASUS Dark Hero mobo btw)

edited July 2021
    Lord_Asmodeus on

750w should be more than enough to just POST and error check. I wouldn't do anything punishing on the computer with that PSU, but 3090 lists 750 as the minimum for a I5/Ryzen 5, and it's not like your CPU is gonna be spiking your system just for the boot, so there shouldn't be much functional difference it you are just confirming the card works.

750w should be more than enough to just POST and error check. I wouldn't do anything punishing on the computer with that PSU, but 3090 lists 750 as the minimum for a I5/Ryzen 5, and it's not like your CPU is gonna be spiking your system just for the boot, so there shouldn't be much functional difference it you are just confirming the card works.

it's a 10 year old pc/motherboard. (don't recall the chipset at the moment other than Intel) 3090 is pcie gen 4, there is no compatibility issues if I were to plug in the 3090 right? it just, obviously, won't have full performance.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Yo, did something happen to PCPartPicker? Just tried going there, and it's requiring a captcha security check just to access the site (not logging into any account). Even Googling PCPP is showing some weird results (the account login page is the first result, but the rest of the results are ads and/or social media sites).

I just went there and got the standard page and nothing that you're describing. You're going to pcpartpicker.com, right?

I took this screenshot on mobile, but this is what I see on my desktop too:
    biqgup5eltsk.jpg

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    From what I'm able to glean online, they have likely flagged your IP as a potential attacker.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Cloud flare started using hcaptcha.

As long as this doesn’t appear on every single website you try to access (i.e. browser redirect malware) it should be safe

it's a 10 year old pc/motherboard. (don't recall the chipset at the moment other than Intel) 3090 is pcie gen 4, there is no compatibility issues if I were to plug in the 3090 right? it just, obviously, won't have full performance.

PCI-e is backwards compatible all the way down. You won't notice the lost bandwidth outside of some pretty extreme workstation cases.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Cloud flare started using hcaptcha.

As long as this doesn’t appear on every single website you try to access (i.e. browser redirect malware) it should be safe

So that'd be a "Yes, something changed with PCPP, but it's fine." Cool...was getting a little nervous that the site got spoofed or something.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Mugsley wrote: »

No special reason, it's just one of the better choices for its price point (that I've seen) There's not much different with the Phantom 4 I don't think? But I've heard the pro4 actually has a better heatsink. I don't really know enough to tell which is better, but they cost about the same and I've heard more good things about the Pro4 then the Phantom 4 from my reading and research.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    From what I'm able to glean online, they have likely flagged your IP as a potential attacker.

I'll get these on youtube sometimes if I forget to turn off my vpn. I've also been locked out of Kroger's online shopping portal due to the geographical mismatch of what store I'm trying to shop at and where the data is coming from.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I've seen some websites flag you for captcha because you're navigating too fast.

So could be that you're just a powerusernerd!

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    I've seen some websites flag you for captcha because you're navigating too fast.

So could be that you're just a powerusernerd!

B&H does that when I open up a bunch of pages because I want to compare products

and then throttles me on top of it so I start having to answer a damned captcha for every single navigation, which is rather obnoxious

edited July 2021
    to my shock, the 3090 posted and booted into windows on the 10 year old computer with a 750w PSU.

so...either BIOS or PSU issue on the new compy. gonna update the BIOS later and Incindium on the discord told me about needing to disable CSM in the BIOS. Supposedly with it on, their 3080 wouldn't boot either and caused some beeping. I don't have any beeping issue though, but it can't hurt.

also going to re-inspect all my PSU connectors. Now...it would be preferable that each 8pin have its own connector, right? or does it just not matter if I use that extra 6+2 connector at the end of each PCIE cable? Once everything is resolved, I do plan on getting custom CableMod cables, so just using the stock cables for now.

VoodooV on
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    to my shock, the 3090 posted and booted into windows on the 10 year old computer with a 750w PSU.

so...either BIOS or PSU issue on the new compy. gonna update the BIOS later and Incindium on the discord told me about needing to disable CSM in the BIOS. Supposedly with it on, their 3080 wouldn't boot either and caused some beeping. I don't have any beeping issue though, but it can't hurt.

also going to re-inspect all my PSU connectors. Now...it would be preferable that each 8pin have its own connector, right? or does it just not matter if I use that extra 6+2 connector at the end of each PCIE cable? Once everything is resolved, I do plan on getting custom CableMod cables, so just using the stock cables for now.

CSM didn't actually cause mine to not post but it did cause some beep code errors in the post process with it on with my 3080 that went away after it was disabled. It's not that much a stretch that it could stop it from posting and easy enough to test to be sure.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Bestbuy is apparently dropping now goooo

5gsowHm.png

Honestly, I would go with the minimum number of cables to start for trouble shooting, and rotate through them, and the sockets you plug them into. Could be one bad cable, or one bad socket, the fewer variables you have when testing, the easier it is to figure out exactly which one is jank. But that's me and I don't mind being incredibly tedious with diagnosing things.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I keep seeing so many 3080 Ti's drop, cheapest appears to be 1800cdn, so about 1400usd.

I'm on the fence on whether to grab one or wait it out for the 3080.

From what I can tell there isn't much of a performance gap from the 3080. Maybe 10%

I see quite a few 3090's as well, but is there much of a difference at all between a Ti and a 3090?

Benchmark websites show a 1-3% difference, but I see some for only a couple hundred more.

Honestly, I would go with the minimum number of cables to start for trouble shooting, and rotate through them, and the sockets you plug them into. Could be one bad cable, or one bad socket, the fewer variables you have when testing, the easier it is to figure out exactly which one is jank. But that's me and I don't mind being incredibly tedious with diagnosing things.

Right, the way you hook up the cables doesn't matter, until it does. :rotate: Whatever works is fine, if it doesn't work in some setup then it's likely a cable/PSU issue.

If you have another PSU or can front for one, I would just hook everything up to a PSU and see if it just boots fine.

OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.