As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dead Space Remake] Using the dismembered limbs of Visceral for profit

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited July 2021 in Games and Technology
6f2jbqp9ky18.png

https://youtu.be/l5WeBNfX-og
Coming to Xbox Series, PS5 and PC, this new version of the original game is made using the Frostbite engine. No release date given but, probably 2022 or maybe 2023.

Op in progress

Sounds like they'll be incorporating some elements from the sequels into the first game. Perhaps Co-op? Probably definitely the weapon combo system from 2

Here's the official press release
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210722005823/en/Electronic-Arts-Announces-the-Return-of-Dead-Space-a-Remake-of-the-Sci-Fi-Classic-Survival-Horror-Game
“The Dead Space franchise made a huge impact on the survival horror genre when it was released 12 years ago, and I came to Motive as a fan first to specifically work on this game,” said Phillippe Ducharme, Senior Producer of Dead Space. “We have a passionate team at Motive who are approaching this remake as a love letter to the franchise. Going back to the original and having the opportunity to do so on next-gen consoles excited everyone on the team. As we look to modernize the game, we’ve reached out to dedicated fans and invited them to provide us with feedback since the early stages of production to deliver the Dead Space game they want and for new players to enjoy as well.”

And an interview with the devs
https://www.ign.com/articles/dead-space-remake-gameplay-story-ps5-xbox-tech-details
“We're doing it from a narrative standpoint, but we're also looking at it from a feature standpoint in the improvements and some of the content that evolved throughout the franchise,” Ducharme said. So we're looking at what can be taken and reinjected within the first game from a future standpoint.

“We're also learning from mistakes such as microtransactions, which we will not have, for instance, in our game,” he continued, confirming that the team “never” has plans to introduce microtransactions in any way to the remake.

“We don't want to be in siloed and create our own bubble of the game we're making. So from the conception, we've reached out to members of the community to create a community council to be a sounding board for what we were making. Making sure that if we're deciding to make a change, we want to be able to explain it and get told if, ‘No, what are you doing? What were you thinking? You're actually breaking the game, why are you changing this,’” Ducharme explained.

“And we've received some extremely valid feedback from that group. We're trying to meet with them on a two, three week basis to show them content and have that ongoing discussion. And they've had access, unfiltered access, to what we're making from a very early point in production,” he continued, noting that the goal of this community council is to really stay true to the spirit of what fans have loved from the franchise since it started 13 years ago.

Local H Jay on

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Genuinely curious what they're bringing back from the later games into the remake of the first.

The only stuff that they added that really worked was expanding the use of kinesis too let you use it as a weapon, situationally destroyable terrain (eg blowing out a window to clear a room as stuff got sucked into vacuum), and giving Isaac dialog.

All of that world be great, but it all seems pretty ambitious for a remake, and I'm deathly worried they go in on DS3's deeply stupid weapon system.

Still, those first two games are absolutely fantastic, and I really hope they find a way to quietly ignore DS3 and continue the series.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    This is exciting... Unfortunately with no release date I'll have to be patient!

I was a few seconds away from reinstalling 1 too. Might as well hold off.

• Options
    I'd be ok with co-op being added, though the game is definitely more atmospheric played alone, late at night, with headphones and the lights off

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'd be ok with co-op being added, though the game is definitely more atmospheric played alone, late at night, with headphones and the lights off

The co op in 3 was fucking spooky man. Like that Isaac doesn't see what the other player does is fucking freaky. I remember when I played it I was like "what the fuck is all this birthday party shit?" and my co op partner was freaked by me freaking.

Really I just want more dead space. I hope they keep the same voice actor for Isaac but they probably wont.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

The co op in 3 was fucking spooky man. Like that Isaac doesn't see what the other player does is fucking freaky. I remember when I played it I was like "what the fuck is all this birthday party shit?" and my co op partner was freaked by me freaking.

Really I just want more dead space. I hope they keep the same voice actor for Isaac but they probably wont.

It's a cool concept but having a friend around made it less scary because we're cracking jokes and laughing at shit. The first game has the perfect atmosphere because of how isolated you are.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I’d like dialog. I don’t need Isaac to be a chatterbox, but the occasional “oh shit, what the actual fuck” would be nice, or for him to say something about Nicole at some points.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Genuinely curious what they're bringing back from the later games into the remake of the first.

Microtransactions

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I just remember that co-op (which fans demanded) led to more actiony gameplay (which fans complained about), and customisable weapons (which fans clamoured for) led to universal ammo (which fans accused of dumbing down), and so on.
    The character assassination in 3 was all their own work, though.

If they actually have plans for a remade trilogy or something, they might rewrite the first one so it doesn't get contradicted so much by the later ones (First game: Marker good, need to restore the Marker to stop the monsters. Later games: fuck no Markers are evil. got to destroy them).

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

It's a cool concept but having a friend around made it less scary because we're cracking jokes and laughing at shit. The first game has the perfect atmosphere because of how isolated you are.

You gotta play with someone who's really into horror games. I played through with a friend who HATES being scared so it was quite an enjoyable experience for me.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I'm currently on the "I'll pass" side of the fence on this one. The old version still holds up and doesn't need to be remade.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

The only stuff that they added that really worked was expanding the use of kinesis too let you use it as a weapon, situationally destroyable terrain (eg blowing out a window to clear a room as stuff got sucked into vacuum), and giving Isaac dialog.

All of that world be great, but it all seems pretty ambitious for a remake, and I'm deathly worried they go in on DS3's deeply stupid weapon system.

Still, those first two games are absolutely fantastic, and I really hope they find a way to quietly ignore DS3 and continue the series.

They have to know how poorly the weapon system in DS3 was received. I seriously doubt they will bring that back.

Most likely they will bring back:
    -Voiced protagonist
    -Kinesis weapons
    -Dead Space 2 pacing

Things I doubt they will bring back:
    -DS3 weapon system
    -Love triangles
    -Ellie's suddenly huge gazongas

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I'm currently on the "I'll pass" side of the fence on this one. The old version still holds up and doesn't need to be remade.

I'm mostly icked out by the latest EA trend of remaking or continuing series for studios they killed in cold blood. Like Visceral was making games as recently as 2015, the corpse is still warm in video game years. They did the same thing to Black Box with skate. So on the one hand, I really would like more from both series. On the other, I don't wanna reward EA for their shit business practices.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Yeah, EA can fuck all the way off on this. And in general I guess. I loved dead space, but I don't feel the need to reward EA for puppeting around its corpse.

• Options

I'm mostly icked out by the latest EA trend of remaking or continuing series for studios they killed in cold blood. Like Visceral was making games as recently as 2015, the corpse is still warm in video game years. They did the same thing to Black Box with skate. So on the one hand, I really would like more from both series. On the other, I don't wanna reward EA for their shit business practices.

Yeah, this is also a big part of it. I don't particularly need a reheated game from 2008, I can still play and enjoy the copy I bought a decade ago. Honestly, I'd be more receptive to this if they completely rebooted the continuity instead of simply revisiting the Ishimura. The old one still looks and sounds great.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I'm assuming this will hit Game Pass Ultimate via the EA play deal, so if I'm lucky I won't have to pay extra to try out the remake. It does sound like the studio cares about the project so I'd still play it if given the chance. But yeah I'd rather just replay the original as-is than make them think in content to keep rebuying the same games every ten years

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Yeah, EA can fuck all the way off on this. And in general I guess. I loved dead space, but I don't feel the need to reward EA for puppeting around its corpse.
    But that's totally on-brand!
    It does need to be re-released, though. A lot of people had the console version which is no longer on a current platform (I'm guessing the 360 versions are still there for Xbox players, but as a Playstation owner, I'm in favour of it).

You can make the same arguments for this as for Mass Effect, and if they want to actually make it better, go for it.
    Of course, they'll have to actually make it better, which is a huge question mark. But I'm all for the attempt.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Yeah I didn't buy the Mass Effects either. Same reasons

• Options
    Huh, totally forgot you can't play them on PlayStation anymore, didn't even think of that. Are they on the uh, game streaming thing they have atleast?

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't get why they're remaking it instead of just maybe remastering the old games as the lead up to a brand new one.

I was going to say it's only 12 years old...but I realize that's a full 1/3 of my life ago and began crumbling to dust.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    I assume the remake is because of EA's corporate obsession with the Frostbite engine.

• Options
    Apparently after the success of Star Wars Squadrons, one of the devs made a push internally for them to tackle Dead Space in some way

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »

Microtransactions

They specifically said they weren't in the article from the OP, though I guess who knows if that holds up long term.
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Not thrilled about this aspect either, but honestly those first two games are probably my favorite of the 360 generation and I want them to make more as long as they're high-quality, so I feel kinda trapped

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    I mean I love dead space I'll play this. But people hate EA enough this will be the only entry so no worry about the franchise getting resurrected.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Huh, totally forgot you can't play them on PlayStation anymore, didn't even think of that. Are they on the uh, game streaming thing they have atleast?

Only Dead Space 3.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Oh so this is why I woke up in a cold sweat.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I'm watching a playthrough of Dead Space, and the graphics still hold up pretty well today. That said, I'm eager to see what they can do with current-gen tech. It would also help if they went over the plot a little. The first game was pretty much just Issac going on fetch quests for his boss for the first half every time a problem arised, and I'd like to see something a little more interesting and organic.

Also, looking back this game inspired a lot of Doom 2016. Especially the whole 'Mega space corporations run by religious fanatics are doomed to failure' thing.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I'd happily take the original Dead Space trilogy remastered with 3d audio and haptic feedback added and nothing else

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Like yeah the original Dead Space looks pretty good still, but I will absolutely take a remake with current gen graphics.

Mmmm thinking about those shadows and lighting

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Welp, the original trilogy are 75% off on Steam so it’s time to give these another spin.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Dead space is one of my favorite series and when they finally released Dead Space 3 on steam I snapped it up because they all sit nicely in one group now.

The fact this remaster is out now leaves me with my head going ‘Fck EA trying to make extra bucks chasing that resident evil money after how they destroyed visceral games.’

While my heart is like ‘Love to see a next remaster trilogy with next gen tweaks’

Also minus the micro transactions I enjoyed three and it’s incredible bat-shit ending.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Whether or not this is good is entirely dependent on if they get the boot stomp right.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    ..but I really enjoyed the weapons system in dead space 3 D:
    you got to make the weapon of your choice!
    I suppose you could argue that it devalued the dismemberment thing a little but that can be rectified.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    The DS3 weapon creation system was one of the worst I've ever seen, and the fact that they used it to replace a system of actually interesting and unique weapons was all the more egregious.

All that fun, great, uniquely-designed stuff was ripped out and replaced with SMG, rifle, shotgun, etc, with shitty scifi makeovers, just so they could force microtransactions in there. I think I was about an hour into playing before the gameplay was completely trivialized by stupid damage output (even without touching the microtransactions); no point in aiming for limbs when a brief spray causes them to dismember instantly, and then it just became an incredibly dull zombie-killing slog.

The engineer tools as weapons was by far the better and more interesting option, particularly since they spent two different games establishing that normal guns are shit against necros. But then in the third game, they just have you make normal guns with funky-looking bullets.

DS3 was almost entirely a pile of trash anyway, outside the the coop stuff. Zero loss in ignoring it exists in favor of the enormously superior prior entries that Visceral actually got to make, instead of the gutted walking corpse that was left after they handed off the various chunks to other EA teams.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The DS3 weapon creation system was one of the worst I've ever seen, and the fact that they used it to replace a system of actually interesting and unique weapons was all the more egregious.

All that fun, great, uniquely-designed stuff was ripped out and replaced with SMG, rifle, shotgun, etc, with shitty scifi makeovers, just so they could force microtransactions in there. I think I was about an hour into playing before the gameplay was completely trivialized by stupid damage output (even without touching the microtransactions); no point in aiming for limbs when a brief spray causes them to dismember instantly, and then it just became an incredibly dull zombie-killing slog.

The engineer tools as weapons was by far the better and more interesting option, particularly since they spent two different games establishing that normal guns are shit against necros. But then in the third game, they just have you make normal guns with funky-looking bullets.

DS3 was almost entirely a pile of trash anyway, outside the the coop stuff. Zero loss in ignoring it exists in favor of the enormously superior prior entries that Visceral actually got to make, instead of the gutted walking corpse that was left after they handed off the various chunks to other EA teams.

As I recall, the devs were pretty pissed about the microtransaction stuff, so made sure you didn't need it to do stupid damage.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, I never had a problem wrecking face limbs with weapons I made in the game; I would have liked one more weapon slot though. Mostly for that one mission where you had to insert the probes.

As far as the crafting, I thought it was a neat bit that fit the lore of the setting. 200 years after all the stuff went down, you may not find a working gun due to rust or whatever, but a part here or there and you can cobble together something that gets the job done.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I love Dead Space. I loved the first Dead Space. The idea of a remake with a few QoL's and feature-bringups from the sequels honestly excites me.

But I'm 100% firmly in the "fuck EA" camp. They can all burn in hell.

They get 0 points for resurrecting a franchise that they themselves killed because "singleplayer games aren't profitable enough." In an era where all these mega publishers (the big 3, namely EA, Activision, and Ubisoft) all follow the guiding principle of "why make millions when you can make billions" is everything wrong with modern gaming.

Fuck 'em.

Furthermore, this is all just smoke and mirrors anyway. Wizard of Oz type misdirection shit. As long as FIFA Ultimate Team exists, EA are not pro-consumer, and they are not "doing it for the fans." They're still the evil corp that they have always been.

Never forget the forgotten husks of Visceral Entertainment, Westwood Studios, Maxis, and all the others that have been sacrificed over the years.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Wait, why are we fucking EA? Their days of rampant studio closures are pretty well behind them. I'm not sure what they're doing now that's worse than, say, Activision?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's intriguing. Back when the rumors first surfaced, I offered the opinion that the crapsack Dead Space universe--post-decades/centuries of neoliberal austerity and "fix it yourself, chump," attitudes, working-class people picking up the pieces, and a scary alien-controlled death cult lurking in the background before striking--was interesting enough that I'd be totally open to a spiritual sequel/relaunch tackling the events of DS1. Mostly because DS3, with the DLC, ends with something of a humdinger, what with the whole "Brother Moons about to eat Earth" kind of thing intentionally a scenario of unrecoverable despair. And I generally like Isaac Clarke, especially in DS2--it's just that, like Half-Life, I don't really think of it as a series that needs to be driven by a distinct personality.

A flat-out remake of the first Dead Space I'm a little skeptical of, even if the game is a little dated (at least in regards to its sequels, just in terms of mechanics, not narrative). Still, I suppose it's arguably better than not getting any more Dead Space at all, which seems to be where things were going. Since I never really followed the spin-off movies or video games, the game is very much just "a trilogy" to me; otherwise I'd probably be more on the side of letting sleeping franchises lie.

Not the worse news ever. Of course, we can only hope they don't fuck this up.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wait, why are we fucking EA? Their days of rampant studio closures are pretty well behind them. I'm not sure what they're doing now that's worse than, say, Activision?

Remember when nerds voted EA the worst company in america over things like blackwater? Gamers man, gamers.

I mean shit read the news on what blizzard got up to and then EA shutting down studios feels quaint.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The Dead Space setting is, frankly, far too eye-rollingly grim for its own good. They have interstellar travel. They can terraform planets. They can convert entire dead worlds/moons into resources. And yet the overwhelming problem in the setting is lack of resources. It makes absolutely no fucking sense at all, and it makes even less sense when you find out the planet cracking program is being taken down, not built up. The mineral resources of a single small planet could provide resources for Earth for an absurd length of time, even with stupidly-high population growth. And you can easily build a Dyson sphere or Dyson swarm at that point, so you're now at a Type II civilization and generating more power than the human race will be able to use for as long as the human race lasts.

The first game is the only point where any of it makes the slightest sense. The Marker(s) are alien, they make you crazy, there's some bamboozling, and you have to keep the Marker from getting loose to fuck over Earth. None of this "lack of resources" crap.

And then you get to the third game, where the story just shits on you for bothering to play these three games. Everything in the universe is fucked! There's absolutely no way to avoid it! Fuck you for bothering to play, goodbye!

It was some Mass-Effect-trilogy level of really shitty writing that did an excellent job of ending the trilogy on an incredibly sour note. Nothing like taking a mostly-great series and slapping such a bad ending on it that it makes you annoyed you wasted time on it.