As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most wonderful time for a [BEER]

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tried some of this and it's really really tasty if you like drinking pickle juice! I don't taste anything resembling beer though, and it's so sour I can only have one before moving on to something else. It's nice on a hot day though

x4g35gv3rhw6.jpg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Real talk, a Kölsch is my main target once I get more experience and maybe some better equipment.

The best one I ever had (that wasn't from Cologne, Germany I guess,, but you just don't really see those) was the honeyed Kölsch from Brewery 85 here in SC, but I don't think they ever made it again. I'd like to try and recreate something similar to that. I'm gonna need a way to adjust temps up and down though which means probably trying to find and modify a little refrigerator and I'd rather not do any of that until I have a better idea of what exactly the fuck I'm doing.

What's your basement like for temperature? While most Kolsch strains like it on the cooler side of ale temps, the Omega Kolsch II yeast can take warmer temperatures in the high 60s.

I live in a 650sqft apartment on the 5th floor.

I wonder if I could just go set up some fermenters on the lowest level of the parking garage nobody ever really uses?

Edit: that said, my apartment being so small and insulated actually makes it very easy to maintain a constant temperature. I don't think it gets above 74 or 75°F in the summer even with the AC off. I generally keep it a constant 69°F for most of the year. If I could find a sturdy yeast I could theoretically do it and just get an extra blanket for the winter.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nice.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Real talk, a Kölsch is my main target once I get more experience and maybe some better equipment.

The best one I ever had (that wasn't from Cologne, Germany I guess,, but you just don't really see those) was the honeyed Kölsch from Brewery 85 here in SC, but I don't think they ever made it again. I'd like to try and recreate something similar to that. I'm gonna need a way to adjust temps up and down though which means probably trying to find and modify a little refrigerator and I'd rather not do any of that until I have a better idea of what exactly the fuck I'm doing.

What's your basement like for temperature? While most Kolsch strains like it on the cooler side of ale temps, the Omega Kolsch II yeast can take warmer temperatures in the high 60s.

I wonder if I could just go set up some fermenters on the lowest level of the parking garage nobody ever really uses?

Edit: that said, my apartment being so small and insulated actually makes it very easy to maintain a constant temperature. I don't think it gets above 74 or 75°F in the summer even with the AC off. I generally keep it a constant 69°F for most of the year. If I could find a sturdy yeast I could theoretically do it and just get an extra blanket for the winter.

You might be able to get away with a fan next to the fermenter to drop it a couple more degrees? Kolsch seems like a hard one.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Tried some of this and it's really really tasty if you like drinking pickle juice! I don't taste anything resembling beer though, and it's so sour I can only have one before moving on to something else. It's nice on a hot day though

x4g35gv3rhw6.jpg

I’ve been wanting to try this! Haven’t seen it though.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

You might be able to get away with a fan next to the fermenter to drop it a couple more degrees? Kolsch seems like a hard one.

I don't really plan on tackling a lager or anything like that until I get a few more brews under my belt and a better idea of what I'm doing.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Whoops double post

Juggernut on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I don't really plan on tackling a lager or anything like that until I get a few more brews under my belt and a better idea of what I'm doing.

There are a few options, but you're still in a little bit of a tough spot. The new Kveik yeasts ferment clean even up to the 90s F. Downside though for a Kolsch is that similar to Saison's, a lot of the flavor profile of that beer is derived from the specific yeast strains. So while you can make a decent lager-like with a Kveik, you probably won't get the characteristic Kolsch flavor from one.

The other option is pressure fermentation with actual lager yeasts. Pressure fermentation allows you to ferment faster and hotter than the yeast likes otherwise because pressure suppresses ester and polyphenol production. Downside again specifically for a Kolsch though, is that characteristic flavor is from the yeast esters that would be suppressed with pressure.

What I'd recommend is trying to brew something like a Pilsner or other crispy lager with the Oslo Kveik strain (supposedly the cleanest of them, the others can produce some tropical esters). Another cool factoid about these Kveik yeasts is that they can rip through wort and get you down to terminal gravity within 24-36 hours. It's crazy how fast these are.

• Options
    Bought my weekly beer supply, which includes my two bottles of fancy stout. Put one in the freezer for half an hour so I could enjoy it this evening. Went straight to the kitchen, pulled out the one that had been in the fridge, and popped the top before I registered the temperature.

Whomp whomp.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Interesting, I like big stouts a bit warm, like just under room temperature, and warmed to such as I drink em.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Today I'm drinking a farmhouse foeder(?) IPA which is 100% not my jam except it's a collab with the meadery where you mix it half and half with mead and it's way fuckin better.

Pineapples and somekinda weird vegetable just under the surface there.

Edit: in home brew news I think my heffe has slowed waaaaay down a little too early I think. I feel like I may have pitched my yeast too soon. Next batch I'll have a better hydrometer and clip in thermometer to guage my temp. My buddy may also lend me a cooling coil so I can do some rapid cooling. I'm also gonna see if I can maybe store any future lagers low key under the table in their keg room which is at about 64°F. That may or may not be illegal due to SC's stupid laws where breweries can sell wine but wineries cannot sell beer.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Today I'm drinking a farmhouse foeder(?) IPA which is 100% not my jam except it's a collab with the meadery where you mix it half and half with mead and it's way fuckin better.

Pineapples and somekinda weird vegetable just under the surface there.

Edit: in home brew news I think my heffe has slowed waaaaay down a little too early I think. I feel like I may have pitched my yeast too soon. Next batch I'll have a better hydrometer and clip in thermometer to guage my temp. My buddy may also lend me a cooling coil so I can do some rapid cooling. I'm also gonna see if I can maybe store any future lagers low key under the table in their keg room which is at about 64°F. That may or may not be illegal due to SC's stupid laws where breweries can sell wine but wineries cannot sell beer.

Ehh, it's almost certainly fine. A lot of beginner brewers fret about the krausen dying down worrying about their yeasties, god knows I did. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong. Just let it ride out to two weeks and then take your FG sample to see. Besides, pitching a heffe on the warm side only means you're going to draw out those Belgian bubble-gum and banana esters that a lot of people shoot for in the first place.

• Options
    Yeah I may need more time. I gave it a little sip today just to get an idea and it tasted like ass. It's also at about 1.9% abv if I did my readings right, which is hella low.

Gonna give it a bit longer, rack it, let it settle and then check it. If it's still garbage I'm gonna dump it and start over.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dogfish Head makes a good hazy!

• Options
    yoywzr5mkr0d.png

It's...interesting? Less like a white Russian and more like cream soda. Not enough bitter to offset the sweetness for my taste, but if you're up for a cream soda beer this is one of them.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Oh hey what up beer thread

I brewed a Kölsch today. Mostly Pilsen malt with a pound of Carapils, and a half pound of Munich for color. Nice and simple. Mashed at 150F and fermenting at 60F. But I'm using WLP029 which apparently is recommended to ferment between 65-69F, so I might raise the temperature on the old Inkbird tomorrow to 65.

A few months ago I entered a homebrew competition with a local brewery. Won that shit, brewed a Raspberry Berliner Weisse with them on their system. But I need to name the beer and I'm having trouble. Anyone have any good beer name ideas? It's just a little Raspberry sour, about 3.5% abv.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Smurph wrote: »

I brewed a Kölsch today. Mostly Pilsen malt with a pound of Carapils, and a half pound of Munich for color. Nice and simple. Mashed at 150F and fermenting at 60F. But I'm using WLP029 which apparently is recommended to ferment between 65-69F, so I might raise the temperature on the old Inkbird tomorrow to 65.

A few months ago I entered a homebrew competition with a local brewery. Won that shit, brewed a Raspberry Berliner Weisse with them on their system. But I need to name the beer and I'm having trouble. Anyone have any good beer name ideas? It's just a little Raspberry sour, about 3.5% abv.

I thought I had a good name, PuckerWeisse, but after googling it turns out some small brewery in CT has already pre-stolen that name.

Edit, also curious about your hop schedule for your Koslch, since I just brewed one as well. I went 1oz Hallertau Mittelfruh @60M, .5oz Saaz @60M, and .05oz Saaz @15M. I kind of want to add in maybe a 1oz whirlpool charge of Hallertauer Blanc for my next go-around.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular

I thought I had a good name, PuckerWeisse, but after googling it turns out some small brewery in CT has already pre-stolen that name.

Edit, also curious about your hop schedule for your Koslch, since I just brewed one as well. I went 1oz Hallertau Mittelfruh @60M, .5oz Saaz @60M, and .05oz Saaz @15M. I kind of want to add in maybe a 1oz whirlpool charge of Hallertauer Blanc for my next go-around.

I kinda used this article as a guide: https://beerandbrewing.com/homebrewing-a-kolsch/

I did 0.5 oz of Tahoma @60M (13 IBUs), 1 oz of Tattnang @15M (8 IBUs)

The Tahoma is just because I have a 1 lb bag of it and need to get rid of it, and I've never bittered with it before. I wanted low hoppyness because I want something easy drinking, and I have some friends that are super sensitive to hops and won't drink hoppy stuff. BJCP IBU range is 18-30 for the style, so your schedule probably works fine and will just be towards the higher end of that.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Just A Little Raz?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

WeissenPuckered?

• Options
    Oh, dang.

3a3nzs1zukw7.png

This isn't exactly my idea of an evening sipping beer, but it's a fantastic after-mowing afternoon refreshing beer to rival Sea Quench.

Very unique, very crisp, extremely dry. If you can find it in your area I highly recommend you try it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Southern Tiers Pumpking and Warlock is officially on tap in their tap room which I hope means distribution will start maybe next month some time.

Seems a bit early but it's my favorite seasonal beer and about the only thing I look forward too.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    This was blue and good.
    r1xfzaznkqyw.jpg

Also go some Apex Predator and Beer for Tacos from Off Color Brewing.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Southern Tiers Pumpking and Warlock is officially on tap in their tap room which I hope means distribution will start maybe next month some time.

Seems a bit early but it's my favorite seasonal beer and about the only thing I look forward too.

Oh man. I've drank enough Warlock in my life to float a battleship. Great beer.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    My favorite brewery in town has free popcorn, and offering some kind of free snack is one of my benchmarks for a good bar.

Good music and keeping bartenders are my others. If you're a bar regularly rotating employ

• Options
    So I recently ran out of my homebrew beer recently so decided to do an experiment to see how quickly I could get from grain to glass. Put together a fairly basic Czech Pilsner recipe, but substituted the lager yeast for a Kveik and pressure fermented at 10PSI to start and ramped to 15PSI after 24 hours. Brewed on Sunday, pitched yeast at 85F. Fermenter continued to cool to about 81F then ramped up very quickly to 84F within 6 hours of pitching. I had crazy CO2 production through my spunding valve. By Tuesday night I had no CO2 production at all, and did a gravity test Wednesday morning. I hit my target final gravity in less than 72 hours. Racked to a keg for cold crashing; tomorrow I'll pitch gelatin and let fine for another 48-72hrs then I'll check clarity and carbonation levels to top off. I'm hoping to get clean drinkable beer in 7-9 days total.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I recently ran out of my homebrew beer recently so decided to do an experiment to see how quickly I could get from grain to glass. Put together a fairly basic Czech Pilsner recipe, but substituted the lager yeast for a Kveik and pressure fermented at 10PSI to start and ramped to 15PSI after 24 hours. Brewed on Sunday, pitched yeast at 85F. Fermenter continued to cool to about 81F then ramped up very quickly to 84F within 6 hours of pitching. I had crazy CO2 production through my spunding valve. By Tuesday night I had no CO2 production at all, and did a gravity test Wednesday morning. I hit my target final gravity in less than 72 hours. Racked to a keg for cold crashing; tomorrow I'll pitch gelatin and let fine for another 48-72hrs then I'll check clarity and carbonation levels to top off. I'm hoping to get clean drinkable beer in 7-9 days total.

It'll be interesting if it tastes like a Pilsner.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    My efforts were...mixed. The gelatin did not clear it up anywhere near to my liking, though I think I pitched when the beer still wasn't cold enough. It is... fine. It's nothing special. It is definitely missing that sulphery/minerality from the lager yeast. I'm not totally mad about that since I think it's a bit too much in some lagers. It's more like a Saaz flavored blond ale. Definitely mixed results on the grain bill. I went with 8.75lbs of pilsner, 12oz vienna, 4oz Weyerman Carafoam, and it's far maltier tasting than I was expecting with such a small proportion of Vienna. I probably should have gone more with some Crystal 20 or 40 instead of the Vienna. Also probably a little too low on IBU, missing some of that bitterness. Mine targeted around 33, and the style typically calls for around 40.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    Picked up a 4 pack of Pumpking and I will be demolishing those this weekend.

• Options

It's that one of the good pumpkin beers? I've not had a lot of luck.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

It's that one of the good pumpkin beers? I've not had a lot of luck.

There's 2 with that name I'm aware of. One which is a weak, watery under 4%ABV one by Wychwood brewery, and the far superior ale by Southern Tier that's damn tasty and well balanced and weights in around 8%.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    It's the Southern Tier.

Southern Tier's Pumpking and Warlock are stupid good and the only real seasonal thing I look forward to every year. They set the bar real, real high.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Southern Tier has some real good shit

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    vuigds3aj7dd.jpg

From a couple days ago. It was ridiculous.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    From a couple days ago. It was ridiculous.

Very nice. I like sours more than saisons so I had a friend ship me a couple of This Is Mrs. Ridiculous as a Christmas gift.

They were also ridiculous, easily the best non-European sour I've had.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I do not like most pumpkin beers.

• Options
    Since this is the first time I have ever had a local beer guy who will buy me things, I will challenge him to find me a good pumpkin beer. Love the idea, have never found a good execution.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Tell me sours to buy please and thank you frens. Stone's Mission Warehouse Sour has been my favorite so far.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tell me sours to buy please and thank you frens. Stone's Mission Warehouse Sour has been my favorite so far.

Dogfish Head's SeaQuench Ale. An amazing brew.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981