As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dead Space Remake] Using the dismembered limbs of Visceral for profit

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wait, why are we fucking EA? Their days of rampant studio closures are pretty well behind them. I'm not sure what they're doing now that's worse than, say, Activision?

Remember when nerds voted EA the worst company in america over things like blackwater? Gamers man, gamers.

I mean shit read the news on what blizzard got up to and then EA shutting down studios feels quaint.

And one of those times they got voted the worst company was because people were mad over the Mass Effect 3 ending, which had nothing to do with EA's management.

Yeah, Blizzard's in a labor scandal, Ubisoft is still very fucked up long after their abuse allegations came to light, and Activision has sent every single one of its non-Blizzard and Candy Crush studios to the Call of Duty salt mines. Granted it's possible I'm missing something, but current-day EA seems fine?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    It IS kind of a dick move to shutter a studio known for making a series and then remake it a couple of years later. Visceral Games

But normally I'm like "Fuck EA" because a majority of their games don't appeal to me.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Wait, why are we fucking EA? Their days of rampant studio closures are pretty well behind them. I'm not sure what they're doing that's worse than, say, Activision?

There is no reason at all to suspect EA has learned anything or improved in any way. FIFA is as hostile as it always has been. It is a perpetual scam machine aimed squarely at children that some criminal groups use as a preferred way to launder money. Many of the killed studios were not that long ago, under the current management. Anthem was as bad of a live service game as we've yet seen, and they lied to everyone who bought it that it would be improved with many updates instead of... basically nothing. The next Dragon Age will apparently also be a bad live service. Jedi Fallen Order, their biggest success story of recent days, was rushed to release, obviously so if you've played it. The nicest thing one can say about EA is that their connection to Gamepass is a very sweet deal, you can at least try their games at no additional cost with some patience.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    EA is at a point where I don't immediately reject its products out of hand anymore, largely since it finally dropped the walled-garden shit and started working with Steam again. I'll at least look at something from EA the one time out of ten that it's not completely uninteresting junk or the thousandth re-re-re-release of literally the sports game they made a couple years ago but with new names now.

But it still makes me pretty displeased that EA got to where it's at by gobbling up and shitting out great game studios. Even right now, the fantastic and unique Titanfall games have been reduced to a setting for yet another BR game with no indication whatsoever of a Titanfall 3 being an option. Maybe if EA hadn't been dead-fucking-set on sabotaging the releases of Titanfall 1 and 2 (and bothered with functioning anti-cheat measures), they could have a second FPS franchise instead of pinning everything on Battlefield.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I'll definitely play a new Dead Space whenever it drops on the base tier of EA Play (thanks Gamepass!), but beyond that... EA trying to resurrect a property they intentionally killed using none of the original people behind it is a really bad look. Especially since it's not even really old enough to qualify for a remake.

Remaster, maybe. But not a remake.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't think they killed dead space, viscerals ending in 3 effectively did that.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I don't think they killed dead space, viscerals ending in 3 effectively did that.

No EA did, there were plans and work for what 4 would have been.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Well I guess if judgement has been passed we can close the thread?

If it turns out to be good I'll buy it, so as to hopefully reinforce the idea in EA that if they do good things, I'll spend money on them. If it turns out to suck, then I won't buy it. It feels pretty simple.
    Sorce wrote: »
    Especially since it's not even really old enough to qualify for a remake.

Remaster, maybe. But not a remake.
    It's now two console generations old. There's a substantial amount of gamers who've never seen it and might be interested in it, same as ME.
    The absolute minimum cash-in they could have done would be a trilogy re-release with slightly H-er D graphics. If they're going further than that, I'll reserve judgement on just how large a trash fire this will be until we at least see some smoke.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Wait, why are we fucking EA? Their days of rampant studio closures are pretty well behind them. I'm not sure what they're doing that's worse than, say, Activision?

There is no reason at all to suspect EA has learned anything or improved in any way. FIFA is as hostile as it always has been. It is a perpetual scam machine aimed squarely at children that some criminal groups use as a preferred way to launder money. Many of the killed studios were not that long ago, under the current management. Anthem was as bad of a live service game as we've yet seen, and they lied to everyone who bought it that it would be improved with many updates instead of... basically nothing. The next Dragon Age will apparently also be a bad live service. Jedi Fallen Order, their biggest success story of recent days, was rushed to release, obviously so if you've played it. The nicest thing one can say about EA is that their connection to Gamepass is a very sweet deal, you can at least try their games at no additional cost with some patience.

FIFA's stuff isn't any more predatory than any other GaaS stuff that's pretty widespread. (When my PSN got hacked, their scam of choice was PES/soccer stuff.) Anthem was mostly/entirely Bioware's fault, not to mention live service games launch fucked all the time. (See: Avengers.) Dragon Age 4 has apparently changed directions away from being a live service. And games get rushed all the time.

I'm not saying any of that stuff is good (well, aside from Dragon Age changing), mind you. It just doesn't really add up to why we should have a burning hatred for them and not, well, every other company that does that stuff? Other than habit?

FIFA's stuff isn't any more predatory than any other GaaS stuff that's pretty widespread. (When my PSN got hacked, their scam of choice was PES/soccer stuff.) Anthem was mostly/entirely Bioware's fault, not to mention live service games launch fucked all the time. (See: Avengers.) Dragon Age 4 has apparently changed directions away from being a live service. And games get rushed all the time.

I'm not saying any of that stuff is good (well, aside from Dragon Age changing), mind you. It just doesn't really add up to why we should have a burning hatred for them and not, well, every other company that does that stuff? Other than habit?

You aren't correct about FIFA.
    https://youtu.be/Tb8_ztzJivM
    https://youtu.be/RHy7XueW6dc
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2021-04-26-leaked-ea-document-says-fifa-21-is-driving-people-to-loot-boxes

Bioware is fully owned by EA, their failures are EAs. And it was EAs decision to cut ties on Anthem and avoid trying to improve it, rather than leaving it to sputter out and die.

The potential course change for DA4 has just pushed it further into the future, who knows if they will have time to make a quality single player experience with all the time wasted making it as a live service at first.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    “Fuck EA” is just a whistleblowing phrase for the deep state ninjitsu-based bakery industry as evidenced by the fact that it is an anagram for “Cake Fu” which is the delivery mechanism by which bakery cartels assert global dominance and control things behind the scenes.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited July 2021

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2021-04-26-leaked-ea-document-says-fifa-21-is-driving-people-to-loot-boxes

Bioware is fully owned by EA, their failures are EAs. And it was EAs decision to cut ties on Anthem and avoid trying to improve it, rather than leaving it to sputter out and die.

The potential course change for DA4 has just pushed it further into the future, who knows if they will have time to make a quality single player experience with all the time wasted making it as a live service at first.

Yay for clickbaity youtube videos I'm not going to click on! And EA is evil for owning a studio that screwed up? And EA made the decision to kill Anthem? It was Bioware who made that business decision to not continue pouring money into a failing video game with an absolutely tiny chance at any kind of return on investment. I'm confused, is it evil that they screwed up, or evil that they decided to move on from a screw up? Also, EA has plenty of other studios besides Bioware?

cloudeagle on
    edited July 2021

Yay for clickbaity youtube videos I'm not going to click on! And EA is evil for owning a studio that screwed up? And EA made the decision to kill Anthem? It was Bioware who made that business decision to not continue pouring money into a failing video game with an absolutely tiny chance at any kind of return on investment. I'm confused, is it evil that they screwed up, or evil that they decided to move on from a screw up? Also, EA has plenty of other studios besides Bioware?

I can hand feed you the information, but I can't make you read it. At that point, you are speaking in bad faith and I'm just over the discussion, as it's clearly unproductive.

shoeboxjeddy on

I can hand feed you the information, but I can't make you read it. At that point, you are speaking in bad faith and I'm just over the discussion, as it's clearly unproductive.

I mean, if you can get me an even-handed article that isn't based on hate-clicks and actually examines their practices and measures how bad they are/how they compare to other services, I'll happily read it. I'm actually curious if I'm wrong! But inflammatory YouTube videos aren't the best sources of info.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Please don't get this thread nuked guys. :)

Sorry. Back on topic: shame on EA for relaunching a beloved franchise! Or something.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Bioware screwed up Anthem, not EA. Just because EA owns Bioware doesn't suddenly make the fuck up theirs. And Anthem was dead long before they made the decision to not improve it. And business-wise, it was the only decision that made sense. Anthem was not coming back. There was not going to be a Taken King for Anthem. It was done.

And you're mad at Dragon Age 4 for being a live service game but you're also mad at it for *not* being a live service anymore? The objection being that it won't have time to be a good game, but also that it's going to take it longer to come out because they're fixing it? It's almost like your objections aren't rooted in any kind of logic, just an immediate and visceral hatred of anything EA.

FIFA is scummy as shit, no doubt, but it's also hardly any worse than what basically every other AAA publisher is doing nowadays, especially in the sports game arena. The industry itself needs to change here.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    EA absolutely shuttered Visceral (6 years ago) and now wants brownie points for regurgitating the first game back at us. Vast majority of people don't know the name Visceral or care what happened to them, but they got taken off DS4 and had to make Battlefield Hardline (which I still bought and enjoyed to support the devs) and then they were unceremoniously shuttered. Just like Black Box, who was also shuttered and now they're doing another Skate game. They want the clout associated with the history of those titles, while also sending the people who made them a success to the unemployment line. It's gross, full stop, without even touching their shady shit elsewhere

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Sterling might be a bit of a broken record now but they aren't wrong about how shit the big game companies are. They are worth a watch. They have been saying this stuff and pointing out everything for YEARS

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I've actually got dead space 3 installed to do a full playthrough.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm fully expecting a good game but not as good as 1 and 2.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Genuinely curious what they're bringing back from the later games into the remake of the first.

with our luck the terrible forced love triangle

5gsowHm.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Karl wrote: »
    I've actually got dead space 3 installed to do a full playthrough.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm fully expecting a good game but not as good as 1 and 2.

It's a good game, but it's definitely easily the worst of the trilogy. I actually found it got a lot better once you get off the ships and down to the main planet. There's a lot of really tight spaces on the ships that just don't play well with the super fast necromorphs they introduced. It's also a really ugly game, especially compared to 2. Having recently played through 2 and 3 within the past 6 months, 2 was a much, much better looking game than 3.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    The Dead Space setting is, frankly, far too eye-rollingly grim for its own good. They have interstellar travel. They can terraform planets. They can convert entire dead worlds/moons into resources. And yet the overwhelming problem in the setting is lack of resources. It makes absolutely no fucking sense at all, and it makes even less sense when you find out the planet cracking program is being taken down, not built up. The mineral resources of a single small planet could provide resources for Earth for an absurd length of time, even with stupidly-high population growth. And you can easily build a Dyson sphere or Dyson swarm at that point, so you're now at a Type II civilization and generating more power than the human race will be able to use for as long as the human race lasts.

The first game is the only point where any of it makes the slightest sense. The Marker(s) are alien, they make you crazy, there's some bamboozling, and you have to keep the Marker from getting loose to fuck over Earth. None of this "lack of resources" crap.

And then you get to the third game, where the story just shits on you for bothering to play these three games. Everything in the universe is fucked! There's absolutely no way to avoid it! Fuck you for bothering to play, goodbye!

It was some Mass-Effect-trilogy level of really shitty writing that did an excellent job of ending the trilogy on an incredibly sour note. Nothing like taking a mostly-great series and slapping such a bad ending on it that it makes you annoyed you wasted time on it.

I'm guessing the writing process went like this:

"Hey guys, you know how we're adding a whole cult devoted to the Marker as an enemy type? It just occurred to me, why would so many people want to join this cult? Who would willingly want to become a space zombie?"
    "Umm... because, life and the economy in the future is so shitty, turning into a space zombie is considered an improvement?"
    "Ooh, that makes sense. You can blame the economy on everything!"

DS1's plot was a pretty well contained story, and while DS2 ramps it up to extremes somewhat, it still feels like a natural progression from the first game, and wraps up Issac's tale pretty well. DS3's plat feels like a sequel built by committee, complete with bigger world-ending stakes, a new threat completely out of nowhere, new characters we're supposed to care about despite no build up, and a frigging love triangle. Jesus wept.
    You could honestly just ignore 3 altogether and it wouldn't effect the other games at all. And if we ever get a remake of Dead Space 2 in the far future, I hope they end Issac's story there. But this is EA we're talking about, so...

I thought the issue with the world in Dead Space was basically all the things they could do couldn't fight against the entropy in the world. Like basically between wars and factions and such they couldn't crack enough planets to provide resources to keep things going.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Started playing through Dead Space 2. Man, even with how old it is it's still a nice looking game.

Played up to when you get your rig. I forgot how good this game was. The first jump scare actually broke my mouse, so that kinda sucked.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dead-space-creator-reacts-to-remake-news/1100-6494310/

Looks like they had some of the original devs consult on the game, including the original UI director

I will say if there is someone I want them to have consulted its the UI guy. I loved Dead Spaces UI integration into the gameplay and wish other games would do something similar.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I will say if there is someone I want them to have consulted its the UI guy. I loved Dead Spaces UI integration into the gameplay and wish other games would do something similar.

UI and Sound Design were the two things I thought Dead Space did better than anyone else was doing at the time.

Fencingsax wrote: »

UI and Sound Design were the two things I thought Dead Space did better than anyone else was doing at the time.

Still

LxX6eco.jpg
    I always appreciated even late game they'd do false spooks. Like most action horror games have that early on and then never again, but dead space throughout the game would make you think there was something around the corner there wouldn't be and then you'd kind of let your guard down and that's when there was something there. It was just good pacing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    That entire stretch of revisiting the Ishimura in DS2.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »

"This is a bad idea."
    "I'm full of bad ideas."

Dead space 3 (because I'm finally getting to it).

Who the fuck thought fighting human enemies was a good idea.

Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Akilae wrote: »

"This is a bad idea."
    "I'm full of bad ideas."

This is why I loved Isaac's voice acting in two. We got to learn more about his personality which was very sarcastic and "You've got to be kidding me". Then again as someone pointed out that was already kind of there in DS1 Isaac had little mission briefs on the various tasks and some of them were sassy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Ok I'm fighting necromorphs now this is better

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Make sure you grab the Awakened DLC, actual end of the story aside, it was really good.

sig.gif
    Make sure you grab the Awakened DLC, actual end of the story aside, it was really good.

It's so much better than the main game. You can tell it was made how they wanted to make it, and not with any executive interference.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Dead Space 1 has some technical problems on modern computers that you need to work around, but once you do that I feel like it has aged like a good movie: you can immediately see it isn't modern, but in a way that makes it feel like a classic. I'd rather they just maintain it rather than try to over-write it.

• ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Dead Space 1 has some technical problems on modern computers that you need to work around, but once you do that I feel like it has aged like a good movie: you can immediately see it isn't modern, but in a way that makes it feel like a classic. I'd rather they just maintain it rather than try to over-write it.

This. I'd take a quality remaster over a remake, even a well-executed one. It's not like the original is from the PS1 era.

As for EA, I'm not planning on reevaluating my opinion of this company until and unless more of their games appear on GOG, where DS1 is available but not DS2, or at least on Steam free of Denuvo. With the latter having been either stripped out or never incorporated.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
    edited July 2021
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It's so much better than the main game. You can tell it was made how they wanted to make it, and not with any executive interference.

I have it downloaded. I'm only on chapter 4 of the main game though.

I've built a line gun. Fear me

Karl on