As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    @VoodooV I'd revert any special OCing of your CPU or Ram as a test.

If it doesn't help I had similar trouble with my machine a while back that I fixed by switching to a more aggressive VRM profile in the BIOS.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    I keep seeing so many 3080 Ti's drop, cheapest appears to be 1800cdn, so about 1400usd.

I'm on the fence on whether to grab one or wait it out for the 3080.

From what I can tell there isn't much of a performance gap from the 3080. Maybe 10%

I see quite a few 3090's as well, but is there much of a difference at all between a Ti and a 3090?

Benchmark websites show a 1-3% difference, but I see some for only a couple hundred more.

The 3090 is basically the 3080 Ti with more memory.

In general I don't get what niche the 3080 Ti fills. It's a lot more expensive than the 3080 for very small gains, but it probably doesn't have enough memory to fill the niche people buying a 3090 are looking for. I have to assume it's a cash grab because the market is so desperate for some, any GPU right now.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Other than compatibility/ports/nVME/PCIE4 why not get B450? The socket is changing next gen so nothing carries over anyway.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I'm pretty comfortable with my decision to just stick to my 2080Ti until whatever comes after 3*** cards. I want a card that can do 4K steadily over 100fps with most things cranked, and even improvements the 3080ti/90 offer over what I have aren't quite there yet.

As it stands now, I play mostly titles that do have DLSS support and the 2080ti can do pretty well pretending at being 4K with that on. On games that don't have it, 1080p looks good enough up-sampled on my display since it's a clean 1:2 transformation.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Other than compatibility/ports/nVME/PCIE4 why not get B450? The socket is changing next gen so nothing carries over anyway.

Questionable BIOS support. And PCIE4 is starting to become actually relevant.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    user wrote: »
    I'm pretty comfortable with my decision to just stick to my 2080Ti until whatever comes after 3*** cards. I want a card that can do 4K steadily over 100fps with most things cranked, and even improvements the 3080ti/90 offer over what I have aren't quite there yet.

As it stands now, I play mostly titles that do have DLSS support and the 2080ti can do pretty well pretending at being 4K with that on. On games that don't have it, 1080p looks good enough up-sampled on my display since it's a clean 1:2 transformation.

This is where I'm at, except with a 2080. Really hoping pricing stabilizes at a reasonable level and isnt $2200 for a top end graphics card.

emp123 on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

Questionable BIOS support. And PCIE4 is starting to become actually relevant.

Only for drives and it’s still not a huge increase like spinning to SSD, or the lesser SSD to PCIe3 NVME. So again…is it really that big a deal?

The only reason I would suggest something more is for the additional NVME slot or the CPU support if applicable. It’s not getting upgraded with a new CPU. It may get upgraded with a new GPU, RAM, or drive.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I keep seeing so many 3080 Ti's drop, cheapest appears to be 1800cdn, so about 1400usd.

From what I can tell there isn't much of a performance gap from the 3080. Maybe 10%

I see quite a few 3090's as well, but is there much of a difference at all between a Ti and a 3090?

Benchmark websites show a 1-3% difference, but I see some for only a couple hundred more.

In general I don't get what niche the 3080 Ti fills. It's a lot more expensive than the 3080 for very small gains, but it probably doesn't have enough memory to fill the niche people buying a 3090 are looking for. I have to assume it's a cash grab because the market is so desperate for some, any GPU right now.

Thanks for reaffirming my sane stance. 50% more cost for 10% performance isn't rational when I've already waited this long.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm still leaning toward the PSU

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm still leaning toward the PSU

Unless it is incredibly obvious its always the PSU

Anything weird or intermittent? PSU.

Basic diagnostics rules out anything likely so anything that doesn't make sense will almost always go back to power delivery in one way or another.

Edit - as long as bios is updated. That firmware is the other weird problem if it's out of date.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    Anyone know if this is the only offical download source for media player classic hc?
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/
    or that it is indeed safe to download and use from this link?

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!
    A4mhOHa.jpg

- disabled CSM, nope
    - updated BIOS, nope
    - saw some google hits that claimed that memory issues can cause the white q-led (VGA) so yeah, reset cmos to undo my memory overclock and removed all of my memory modules cept one, still no dice

At that point, that's when I realized I was missing something obvious. I've got a vertical mount for the GPU...which means riser cable. Removed the riser cable and mounted the GPU traditionally. Eureka! it posts! Despite this, I get an error at POST that "The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver" and that the BIOS turned CSM back on automatically. I went into the bios and turned on that new "Resizable BAR" setting, which automatically turned CSM back off, rebooted and no more errors and boots into Windows. I wondered if maybe turning on resizable bar maybe would allow the riser card to work, so I mounted it vertical again, but no luck. I went back on the discord to report my discovery and that's when Gnome d'War reminded me that riser cables are usually only gen 3 capable. I thought I had accounted for that, but sure enough, when I went to check the specs for the cable online, yep, only gen3.

Mounted the card traditionally again so it would post, got into the BIOS and set the PCIE slot to Gen 3, mounted it vertical again, and all is well. yes, it will take a performance hit, but I doubt I will notice it. and I'll nab a Gen4 cable down the road.

*phew* it's finally done! (and I'm poor now) This started in September 2020. Bought the case, it got porch-thieved, didn't get a replacement till January. Finally got a CPU, but got scammed by Amazon after getting a previous order cancelled by Walmart. Just a slight change from the usual "add all parts to the cart, checkout, done" in the before times.

I'm going to Disneyland.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Grats on figuring it out, and good looking build! I haven't seen a read-out on the heatsink before, that's pretty cool.

• Options
    How do I awesome twice?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I am once again looking at building a PC. I am still looking at going for a Ryzen/AMD build - have they sorted out their drivers for the 6000 series video cards?

I'm looking at a 5600X/RX 6700 XT combo, maybe a RX 6800 XT depending on funds and availability. Would I be better of bumping the CPU up to a 5800X?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I am once again looking at building a PC. I am still looking at going for a Ryzen/AMD build - have they sorted out their drivers for the 6000 series video cards?

I'm looking at a 5600X/RX 6700 XT combo, maybe a RX 6800 XT depending on funds and availability. Would I be better of bumping the CPU up to a 5800X?

Personally speaking if you can swing 8 cores IMO it's worth getting 8 cores. If you stay with 6 chances are you're going to want to upgrade in the next couple years since current consoles have 8 cores and games will be made for them.

There are already games that benefit from having 8 cores over 6, and that number will increase over time.

Orca on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Or if you want to save a bit now, just cheap out and get a 3600 and then upgrade in a couple years when it doesn't cut it any more. For now, it's a perfectly good chip

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    5600X prices have tanked pretty fast in the UK, IDK about the US. They're down about 25% from prices in February.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Alright, I'll look at a 5800X/6700XT combo. Bit pricey to go for both, but the 6700XT seems to be benching pretty well.

• Options
    gBAZgBAZ Registered User regular
    Ok, so I'm slowing getting into windows 10, but I can't figure out how to make EVERY SINGLE FOLDERS VIEW 'LIST'... i clicked on 'apply to all folders/sub-folders', and then goto a folder that has images, and it shows as thumbnails, and when i goto a folder with music its in some awful music list style...

Google seems to have no ansers in first 20 results. I'll try figuring it out later I suppose.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    gBAZ wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm slowing getting into windows 10, but I can't figure out how to make EVERY SINGLE FOLDERS VIEW 'LIST'... i clicked on 'apply to all folders/sub-folders', and then goto a folder that has images, and it shows as thumbnails, and when i goto a folder with music its in some awful music list style...

Google seems to have no ansers in first 20 results. I'll try figuring it out later I suppose.

Try this

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16694/customize-the-five-windows-folder-templates/

Basically, Windows is applying different templates based on folder contents.

Edit: this may be what you did already. I'm leaving it though.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular

Thanks for reaffirming my sane stance. 50% more cost for 10% performance isn't rational when I've already waited this long.

3080ti is totally a scam, says the guy who threw up his hands and bought one. (Largely because I was sitting on a pile of pandemic bonus cash and just wanted to get a card and be done with it.)

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Nosf wrote: »

3080ti is totally a scam, says the guy who threw up his hands and bought one. (Largely because I was sitting on a pile of pandemic bonus cash and just wanted to get a card and be done with it.)

Yeah this was kind of my scenario, I just want a card. I want to get back into VR and can't really on my 2070 with the Quest 2 resolution.

I will try to remain strong though, I see the 3080Ti's in stock all the time, and I see at least one 3080 hit a store each day they just go to quick.

On Amazon and Bestbuy, I just can't compete with the bots. On canadacomputers.com the pricing isn't to inflated and I've gotten close a couple times, I don't think there are scripts at play here at least. I have one in my cart now but I didn't notice it's a 3080 in an enclosure lol.

Dixon on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    5800X and 3080Ti are both in the same spot: perfectly fine and enjoyable / well-performing devices for your needs! They just don't make "sense" at the price point, they're way off the value curve.

However, in these times, if you can buy it and want it, who the fuck cares? You'll be happy with them and it isn't like other options were "good value" with all the inflated prices.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the the EVGA 3080 queues are moving at all or have they just abandoned it? I feel like I should have seen a result by now from at least one of the queues I've been in since day 1.

Ditto for step-ups. I've had a 3070 -> 3080 step-up queued forever now too.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the the EVGA 3080 queues are moving at all or have they just abandoned it? I feel like I should have seen a result by now from at least one of the queues I've been in since day 1.

The notification queues are definitely still moving, my 3080 FTW3 queue popped a few weeks ago (I think I had signed up the day after the product page went live but I don't for sure remember).

No idea about stepups.

• Options
    I know this is a desktop thread, but this thing seems very user serviceable.

https://youtu.be/0rkTgPt3M4k

Made me excited for a laptop for the first time in about 10 years.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I tried to check the reddit thread queue list they created, but I don't think it was being updated any more.

My spots were pretty far back but yeah def was hoping one would of popped by now.

Dixon on
  • Options
    I tried to check the reddit thread queue list they created, but I don't think it was being updated any more.

My spots were pretty far back but yeah def was hoping one would of popped by now.

We're going on what, a year later? You would have thought.

• Options
    So I upgraded my rig to a 5900X w/ a new x570 mobo (Gigabyte Aorus Master) and speedy 3600 CL 14 memory. Everything works great ... except boy that issue where 5*** series Ryzen drops USBs randomly sure is a thing huh? I mean it reconnects nearly immediately -- but still its a bit frustrating to have my input devices hiccup in the middle of work and play.

Any word on whether or not this will get a clean fix -- I know there's been a lot of talk of it being resolved, but I am on the latest available BIOS and therefore AGESA.

• Options
    Question. I'm looking at building off a B550 motherboard, namely a Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2. Reading the specs is... annoying. Can this this run a new PCIE4 video card and also a PCIE4 SSD?

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    So I upgraded my rig to a 5900X w/ a new x570 mobo (Gigabyte Aorus Master) and speedy 3600 CL 14 memory. Everything works great ... except boy that issue where 5*** series Ryzen drops USBs randomly sure is a thing huh? I mean it reconnects nearly immediately -- but still its a bit frustrating to have my input devices hiccup in the middle of work and play.

Any word on whether or not this will get a clean fix -- I know there's been a lot of talk of it being resolved, but I am on the latest available BIOS and therefore AGESA.

Interesting, I have a 5900X and have yet to see that happen. Maybe I don't game long enough?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Question. I'm looking at building off a B550 motherboard, namely a Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2. Reading the specs is... annoying. Can this this run a new PCIE4 video card and also a PCIE4 SSD?

Yes.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »

Interesting, I have a 5900X and have yet to see that happen. Maybe I don't game long enough?

I think this is a chipset issue with Ryzen 5xxx and not the CPU itself.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Yes - element35gaming is the best source for notifies.

As for step-ups - 3080 is up to 10/10 for north america at this point, best source is this forum thread https://forums.evga.com/Unofficial-3080-Step-Up-Queue-Thread-NORTH-AMERICA-m3091969-p109.aspx

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021

I have two X570 based machines, a 5900X and a 5950X, and neither does this. I assume I'm just lucky, but I would also recommend people make sure they have the latest BIOS for their board.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    As for step-ups - 3080 is up to 10/10 for north america at this point

JFC

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Remember when this was supposed to clear up by February and that being subscribed to three discords and two twitch channels and being logged into Best Buy and NewEgg on two different devices at all times for about 3 months while nigh-constantly trying to buy shit whenever there was a notification or someone trolled ATR-Stonks gen chat with a stock alert, was ridiculous, because if you just wait the stock will come in and everything will be fine?

Thawmus Farms remembers. Thawmus Farms can see that it is still not fine.

Thawmus Farms still acknowledges that doing all that shit was indeed ridiculous, though.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I have two X570 based machines, a 5900X and a 5950X, and neither does this. I assume I'm just lucky, but I would also recommend people make sure they have the latest BIOS for their board.

I have this issue and I was too lazy to look up... but now I know it is related to my 5900x I'll look to solve it and check if a new BIOS exists!

This discussion has been closed.