As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Keep On Trekkin' (Lower Decks stuff in SPOILERS)

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    "Best" Star Trek movie.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Beyond is good because it embraces it's dumb instead of being like ST09 where they're trying to do a scifi action movie the dumb gets in the way, or Into Darkness which was just crap. Beyond has fun with it's dumb (Like the motorcycle, or the Enterprise surfing an giant wave of exploding ships while Sabotage plays)
    I groaned so loudly at that scene that I was worried for a moment that I might be ejected from the cinema. And I like(d?) the Beastie Boys. That scene caused me physical pain...

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Don't hate fun.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Having finished out season 3 of Disco, I wanted to complain some more about things despite overall enjoying it:
    * the bit with Adira declaring their pronouns felt weird because Adira is from the 32nd century. This really shouldn't be a thing anymore. They're on a ship with like a dozen or more different species in a galaxy with hundreds or thousands of different species, not all of which share the concept of sexual dimorphism, much less gender. Declaring your personal pronouns, or that you don't feel like a "she" shouldn't be a thing anymore. When TNG did the skant it wasn't a thing. It was just there. Adira should have been "they" from the start and it shouldn't have ever been addressed at all because obviously if they feel like going by "they" then that's just how it works and nobody finds it weird.
    * I didn't super hate the mirror universe episodes because I enjoyed a character I never liked being slightly less godawful than everyone around her but it was still a stupid waste of two episodes

After finishing out Disco I finally got around to Picard. I enjoyed it but also it was dumb. Super dumb. That is all.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    * the bit with Adira declaring their pronouns felt weird because Adira is from the 32nd century. This really shouldn't be a thing anymore. They're on a ship with like a dozen or more different species in a galaxy with hundreds or thousands of different species, not all of which share the concept of sexual dimorphism, much less gender. Declaring your personal pronouns, or that you don't feel like a "she" shouldn't be a thing anymore. When TNG did the skant it wasn't a thing. It was just there. Adira should have been "they" from the start and it shouldn't have ever been addressed at all because obviously if they feel like going by "they" then that's just how it works and nobody finds it weird.

All of that is true, IMO, but this is a television show made in the early 21st century for 21st century audiences, and the character was put there to make a point, so they're gonna call attention to that. That's how the medium works.
    Put it on the pile of other things that make no sense except for television, like (constantly) exploding consoles and malfunctioning holodecks.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

All of that is true, IMO, but this is a television show made in the early 21st century for 21st century audiences, and the character was put there to make a point, so they're gonna call attention to that. That's how the medium works.
    Put it on the pile of other things that make no sense except for television, like (constantly) exploding consoles and malfunctioning holodecks.

Sure, and I considered that, but if they had to call attention to it at all I'd have preferred a moment where someone refers to Adira as "she" and gets corrected with something like, "Check their personnel file; their pronoun is 'they'" and they just nod, apologize, and move on. Like I said, the TNG skant was just there on screen. Nobody said shit about it. We just see it and know, "Okay, the future doesn't care about dudes in skirts, I guess". Making it a whole difficult journey to outing themselves makes it feel like there's been almost no (in that at least Stamets just smiled and nodded) advancement in cultural acceptance for non-binary identities for a thousand years and that feels bad.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I've said this a lot but:
    Khan: Best Star Trek "Movie"

And The One With the Whales?

Best Star Trek Movie

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Every time I see an old Star Trek movie my admiration for Leonard Nimoy's performance as Spock grows. Obviously the best alien ever to appear on screen (Alice Sheldon, who wrote as James Tiptree Jr, said he was the first real alien), and every time he has an acting choice to make he makes the right one. The incredible voice helps immensely, of course, that deep, measured growl you could imagine echoing from a mythological oracle. I could watch and listen to him all day.

I love the encounter at the end of Trek '09, between a Spock who - like the one we see in "The Cage" or Discovery - is still figuring out who he is, and one who has reached the end of that long journey, wry and wise and utterly comfortable in his own skin.

My favorite Spock is the one who vibes out in an evening robe talking to a cadet or something, lighting candles and getting ready for a chill evening to himself.

https://youtu.be/F4Op4vc3GBs

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Every time I see an old Star Trek movie my admiration for Leonard Nimoy's performance as Spock grows. Obviously the best alien ever to appear on screen (Alice Sheldon, who wrote as James Tiptree Jr, said he was the first real alien), and every time he has an acting choice to make he makes the right one. The incredible voice helps immensely, of course, that deep, measured growl you could imagine echoing from a mythological oracle. I could watch and listen to him all day.

I love the encounter at the end of Trek '09, between a Spock who - like the one we see in "The Cage" or Discovery - is still figuring out who he is, and one who has reached the end of that long journey, wry and wise and utterly comfortable in his own skin.

My favorite Spock is the one who vibes out in an evening robe talking to a cadet or something, lighting candles and getting ready for a chill evening to himself.

It took Spock a long time to figure out a workaround for pon farr and let's just say it's involved.

And so is the Vulcan death grip.

• Options
    Watching that clip, I'm again reminded:
    IMO, they really should have either had the courage to keep Saavik (even if it meant recasting the role yet again), or if they just couldn't go through with having her betray Spock like that, drop that subplot entirely. Don't half-ass it with a conveniently similar substitute.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Watching that clip, I'm again reminded:
    IMO, they really should have either had the courage to keep Saavik (even if it meant recasting the role yet again), or if they just couldn't go through with having her betray Spock like that, drop that subplot entirely. Don't half-ass it with a conveniently similar substitute.

Saavik falling in love with David, losing him, and then betraying her ideals in vengeance is a tragedy that resonates with Kirk's own arc.

Valeris, though a decent character in own right, doesn't carry the same weight.

• Options

Sure, and I considered that, but if they had to call attention to it at all I'd have preferred a moment where someone refers to Adira as "she" and gets corrected with something like, "Check their personnel file; their pronoun is 'they'" and they just nod, apologize, and move on. Like I said, the TNG skant was just there on screen. Nobody said shit about it. We just see it and know, "Okay, the future doesn't care about dudes in skirts, I guess". Making it a whole difficult journey to outing themselves makes it feel like there's been almost no (in that at least Stamets just smiled and nodded) advancement in cultural acceptance for non-binary identities for a thousand years and that feels bad.

Counterpoint: the time jump means Discovery had no personnel file for Adira. Earth wanted to be rid of everyone involved and Discovery wanted to find Starfleet and that was about the extent of it. There was no interview or onboarding, they just got shoved in a guest quarters where they kept to themselves and had roughly five crew interactions, four of which were with Stamets and talking about Grey, and didn't even get around to pointing out that Grey and Adira were kind of the same person for most of those.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

Counterpoint: the time jump means Discovery had no personnel file for Adira. Earth wanted to be rid of everyone involved and Discovery wanted to find Starfleet and that was about the extent of it. There was no interview or onboarding, they just got shoved in a guest quarters where they kept to themselves and had roughly five crew interactions, four of which were with Stamets and talking about Grey, and didn't even get around to pointing out that Grey and Adira were kind of the same person for most of those.

Look, our history is replete with things moving forwards/backwards and sideways with everything, including gender recognition, that I'm willing to let it go. What I'm not is that they spent the time to introduce the character, beat everyone's head open with their issues, then beat their heads over their queerness..... then basically drop them other than as a toy for Hugh and his partner. I think there was some huge characterization that they backed off from doing there, in what is essentially a character from 1000 years ahead of us.

• Options
    On retrospect, I have very little room to talk about the above issue with any kind of authority. I will retract my comments.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The biggest failing of Star Trek V is that Kirk, at the end, didn't go "So what happened to "God?"" and Bones didn't reply "God is dead, Jim."

• Options
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    New trailer for Lower Decks season 2!

Link appears to be borked or geoblocked.

A google search finds it pretty easy.

And OMG OMG OMG a Tamarian crewmember! If that's a one off joke, and he's not at least recurring, imma be PISSED.

EDIT - "The second season is set to premiere on August 12, 2021."

MorganV on
  • Options
    I wonder if he's the first Tamarian in Starfleet, or just an exchange officer. ("Riker, on the Pagh.")

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    That talking computer is definitely Jeffrey Combs.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Fuck Paramount Plus. However that looks really good. I enjoyed S01 a lot more than I was expecting. Can't wait to see S02.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    For some reason, the Transporter gag in that trailer killed me.

Just like transporters do for everyone who uses them, creating new versions.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »

Wasn't it a "video buffering" gag?

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »
    Wasn't it a "video buffering" gag?
    I don't know. It looked like he was being shot mid transport. Dunno the storyline reason of what was happening.

The way his screams were distorted and the crew / Riker were just watching struck me as hilarious, though.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

man it really got me too

link for everyone:

ALSO Star Trek Prodigy Teaser:

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

looks more like he's Shomer Shabbat

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Prodigy looks like one of the many bad Star Wars animated shows.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

Janeway is going to send those kids into life threatening situations, isn't she.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

Janeway is going to send those kids into life threatening situations, isn't she.

It's called the Janeway Protocol for a reason.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    She will callously send them into danger in odd numbered episodes. In even numbered ones she will be their mom and she will flip between those two states endlessly

There will be no in between

• Options
    Prodigy looks interesting. I'm pleasantly surprised the ship is a new class and not some jank Miranda.

Bringing Janeway back as the "Emergency Training Hologram" is a neat idea, especially if she evolves into a full character like The Doctor.

• Options
    edited July 2021

"Holy SHIT you surv*coughcough hack*Good, you're back. Now, about that Tholian hive world..."

Hevach on
  • Options
    I hope this is some kind of far off location/distant time thing with a ship that was crashed due to negative space wedgie that doesn't really interact much if ever with Star Fleet. I'm really hoping for some kind of Farscape (but for kids) adventure through a remote part of the galaxy seeing new adventures. I won't get my hopes up, but I think it has a TON of potential as a very Trek show.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Prodigy looks interesting. I'm pleasantly surprised the ship is a new class and not some jank Miranda.

Bringing Janeway back as the "Emergency Training Hologram" is a neat idea, especially if she evolves into a full character like The Doctor.

It might be nice to see Janeway realized as a full character.
    Any chance for the rest of the Voyager crew?

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Lower Decks S2 looks fantastic, but I'm surprised that prodigy actually looks interesting. Cool!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

That depends upon how many times Captain Freeman can promote/demote that commemorative plate.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Yes more Lower Decks! Woo!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

i mean he was talking to plate tom paris!

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    This has made me very hyped for LD S2.

I remain cautiously optimistic for Prodigy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Prodigy looks like one of the many bad Star Wars animated shows.

1) I'm not enough into Star Wars to watch many of the series, but my understanding is that the animated series are generally very good?
    2) That Prodigy trailer gave me chills.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021

There's gonna be a transporter accident episode and all you'll hear is a faint cackling in the background.

Lower Decks S2 looks like another winner and some of those writers DEFINITELY hang out in the Star Trek Shitposting group. You don't just put a Commemorative Plate gag out there like that outta the blue, lol.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.