As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFBE] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, LONG LIVE NEW THREAD

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Yeah not the greatest news.. I guess its a compromise between how bad the JP version was and what we have now.

FF7R vision cards are only at EX+3. At EX+1 instead, we get a vision card select ticket. Looks like Ling and Louise cards are on that list, so if you missed/passed on that banner, you can get those 115 stat cards.

EX abilities are all at EX+2, which is super nice, since it means the only reason to go for Aerith EX+3 is if you want her card or use her in CoW. And Tifa and Sephiroth will be easier to be complete units.

And then the big downer; 60k pity instead of 40k and 3x the vip coin fragment cost. I guess its better than no pity from JP but still very uughh. And no sign of the 10 NV unit pull but I never expected to see that on GL anyway.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I also love the producer letter they put out that was like, "oh hey sorry we made a substandard anniversary and have been removing content that you guys know should be coming, guess we might do something about that in the future."

It is nice that they'll be giving us veteran rewards based on login days again, but I anticipate that being disappointing as well.

Best bit of news for the day is Reberta winning the popularity contest. That was the best possible outcome after the mid-vote results came out, in my opinion.

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    After the first day, I completely forgot about it and didn't vote again. That's why these sorts of things should be in game.

Good for Reberta, though.

Lorek wrote: »
    And Tifa and Sephiroth will be easier to be complete units.

Kinda. Both of their cards are pretty much essential to make them complete units, as they give 125ATK, 50% LB, 100% killer (beast for Tifa, undead for Sephiroth) and 500 flat attack for FFVII units. Without their cards Tifa and Sephiroth lose out on a LOT of stats and become harder to build for LB damage and chain cap increase and everything else that they need. Thankfully we get that chain cap increasing helmet through CoW to ease some of that gearing for Sephiroth.

Thankfully this "premium NV unit" stuff in JP has so far been just the FFVIIR and FFX units (Aerith [free up to EX+2, which for us is al we need for the EX abilities], Tifa, Sephiroth, Yuna, Auron). I'm sure we will get a "premium GLEX NV" at some point. Probably another version of Elena.

I like original FF7 just fine, it's a great game. A little overrated, all things considered, but great. But, man, Square Enix just won't let it be. The story was told already, let it rest.

Square Enix just ramming FF7 shit out now is making me start to get annoyed with FF7.

I've not played it yet, but apparently FFVIIR is more of a sequel than a remake. I'm fine with that and will probably play it once it comes out on PC.

I would have much preferred that FFVI (the best FF) got the love and attention and time that FFVII got. But all that FFVI is getting is that new, seemingly low effort "pixel remaster" that all of the classic FFs are getting. I was hoping for at least the 2DHD treatment that the DQ3 remake is getting, but I guess we all care more about old FF games than Square-Enix does.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    From what I'm told, FFVIIR actually tells its story, which is more than FFVII ever managed. Square getting many years of practice with actually using cinematography to convey things is a thing that shows. Everyone I know rather enjoyed the game, so when it hits PC I will certainly give it a whirl.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    edited July 2021
    That's a tough one for me. I love FF6, but I don't know how I'd feel about a remake. It's probably the power of nostalgia, but the original game should be enough and I just like ports so that people can get a chance to experience it themselves.

That being said, I could probably be okay with a remake if it was done well, but all the spinoffs like what they've done with 7 and 13 would bother me. And that also goes for the plethora of DLCs that XV had, or that "watch this movie to understand the story for the game" BS.

This has been another one of my old man yells at clouds moments.

Zomro on
    Just a heads up, maintenance is tonight instead of tomorrow. Nothing else is different this week, IE. the current events end and the FFVIIR events start Thursday as usual.

EX ticket gave me Lord of Seas Nichol. He could be a useful support for DV with his stat boost and LB damage LB. Gotta wait for his fragments to be in the VIP shop to get the EX+1

Zomro wrote: »
    EX ticket gave me Lord of Seas Nichol. He could be a useful support for DV with his stat boost and LB damage LB. Gotta wait for his fragments to be in the VIP shop to get the EX+1

His water amp is huge for both Lunafreya and NV Tifa. NV Tifa may also be closer to Sephiroth in terms of damage in global if they make the passive from her STMR stackable, so Nichol could be a great get if that holds true.

• TipharesTiphares Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Good luck to everyone on the free summons and pulling for Aerith today! My free summons had 2-3 rainbows each, but no NVs.

Tiphares on
    Wait, you can't turn extra Renos into fragments for the NVA?

• TipharesTiphares Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Wait, you can't turn extra Renos into fragments for the NVA?
    Compensation incoming? Sounds like a bug.

edited July 2021
    No it was the same on JP. If you have a copy of Reno already, save your currency and don't buy the prism/tmr/stmr. Unless you want another copy of those.

You can buy enough frags to EX+3 without junking the original one still.

Also I am part of the problem... one lap on the Aerith banner and got another copy of her. That'll give me a second copy of her STMR (since they stack, woo global buffs) and let me EX+2 her for the rod imperil before DV ends.

Though Gumi seems super hard on not letting you get any easy extra shards. Even the paid lapis bundle with shards come with half the shard amount as usual. No 1100 lapis for 10 shards either. Really really hope that's just because Aerith is "free" and not how they're going to treat Tifa and Sephiroth.

Lorek on
    Premium NV units are all getting the increased shard cost. Extra shards will also cost more VIP coins.

Do we know what the mysterious crystal thing is? Because getting this thing in two turns sounds like a pain in the posterior.

edited July 2021
    Do we know what the mysterious crystal thing is? Because getting this thing in two turns sounds like a pain in the posterior.

Yes. Well, we know what they do in the JP version. You can use them to level an NV unit up to 130 (one crystal per level, right now it just increases base stats and damage due to the level damage calculation) or you can use them to unlock a Vision Card slot on any 7* unit (one crystal per unit).

If you're having trouble getting the kill in two turns, Sinzar has a few videos for budget and non-budget versions. The budget version uses Sylvie, a bunch of free units, and a source of Beast Killer (he uses Kefka, can use Rain&Fina or Ling)
    https://youtu.be/7Scm3PQ4808

Cruor on
    edited July 2021
    EX tickets were super kind to me. Got NV Zidane#1, Sea King Nichol#1, Sol&Dark Fina#1, and an additional Louise for EX+3 progress.

I guess now I'm set for LB damage and water amplify stuff. I have an additional Rakish Thief Zidane that I could prism + STMR moogle to get another Ultima Blade upgraded for him.

Cruor on
    edited July 2021
    Cruor wrote: »

Yes. Well, we know what they do in the JP version. You can use them to level an NV unit up to 130 (one crystal per level, right now it just increases base stats and damage due to the level damage calculation) or you can use them to unlock a Vision Card slot on any 7* unit (one crystal per unit).

If you're having trouble getting the kill in two turns, Sinzar has a few videos for budget and non-budget versions. The budget version uses Sylvie, a bunch of free units, and a source of Beast Killer (he uses Kefka, can use Rain&Fina or Ling)
    https://youtu.be/7Scm3PQ4808

Heh. I would not have thought of using Reflect, to be honest. But sure, I can probably swing that fairly easily when I have some time to do the equipping and such.

EDIT: Okay, did it, though it actually took a bit - I had to find some way to scrounge enough passive evocation gauge fill to charge the Carbuncle both turns.

Drascin on
    Got another Ultima Weapon upgraded to +4 for my Zidane. Figured it was worth the resources and time because Zidane still sees use in the JP version for DV. It's also nice to have a great dagger user who can fully take advantage of Ling's dagger Imperil.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I like original FF7 just fine, it's a great game. A little overrated, all things considered, but great. But, man, Square Enix just won't let it be. The story was told already, let it rest.

Square Enix just ramming FF7 shit out now is making me start to get annoyed with FF7.

I used to have a higher tolerance for this than many people (so I did things like play Vincent May Cry Dirge of Cerberus for a while after it came out), watched the re-release of Advent Children, etc. By no means a good thing, but I would've been a market for it.

Unfortunately, the Remake is intrinsically at the core of this if we don't want to say exploitation, let's say revival. A flat-up remaster would've been less so; the Remake is an examination of previous events and retelling them, sometimes (often) differently, and often in a way that ties into the wider post-FFVII properties. The Remake's multi-episode design is basically the ultimate form of ramming FFVII down people's throats, but at considerable effort and expense on S-E's part.

Whether or not that's a good thing is invariably up to the viewer. It's a more extreme version of the debate we had when Dirge of Cerberus or Crisis Core came out--obviously people enjoyed those games (the later in particular seems to have gotten a cult following), but they were ramming said franchise down our throat. FFVII was definitely never perfect (and most obviously, taken in retrospect it shares some flaws with FFVI combined with the awkward artistic transition into 3D), but I don't think Remake is really intended to correct that (and in a way, it never could, because one thing was never going to completely replace the other), so much as say "Look at this! It's everything you loved, but better and newer and a lot more of it!" That's a good and bad thing in its own right. In my own case, after trying out the (good) demo and watching it be played, I found I'd rather watch specific excerpts than just borrow a friend's copy for PS4 and consume them that way.

Then again, I think FFVI, while a really great game, is also a little overrated in retrospect, which some people treat as heresy. Still great enough that I'd play it again, and I'm in fact replaying FFVII's Dotemu release for the last few months (though I'm not much further past Cosmo Canyon).

edited July 2021
    DV done. I'm too lazy to try and max scores on the final stages so I just OTKO'd everything I could. NV Vivi and Steiner for chain capping and NV Terra for damage with Louise fire amping is pretty dope, though.

Edit: And one of the 5* EX tickets from DV rewards went NV and gave me another NV Vivi. So I was able to EX+2 him. With his STMR freeing a materia slot and the extra stats, I may just take another swing and try and bump the score up a little. Maybe if I feel like sitting through multiple turns I'll try and get a better score on all the fights

Zomro on
    And the Tifa/Premium unit news is dire. No shards in her shop, so likely she's looking the same as Aerith for shards. No 1100 lapis shards to even out the 30 login shards, no 50 shard bundle. Oof; why even bother giving out the 30 login shards at that point if you can't even them out.

You can stack Tifa's STMR now too, so more incentive to go for 2+ of them.

Also, I'm putting my new prediction here:
    Next week won't be Sephiroth, he will be delayed a week. CoW should start again next week, so we will get a Fan Design Unit with some morale abilities. It will be the creepy Moogle mage. He will be a dark-copy of Louise, and thus give GL an exclusive dark field just in time for Sephiroth to show up the following week. Then the CoW boss will be weak to dark and you'll want the new Moogle and Sephiroth to do all the damage. Whales hooooo.

edited July 2021
    My NV luck has been both good and bad over the last couple days. Got NVs from daily half price summons two days in a row (NV Edel#a lot, NV Gabranth#2) and also got another NV Elena from a DV ticket yesterday. I would have preferred almost any of the other NV units in the DV ticket pool, but maybe NV Elena will get some baller EX abilities down the line. I do enjoy getting three red pearls though.

I'm hoping I get insanely lucky with dailies/free pulls for Tifa. Would be nice to get her for future stuff, but I don't have the lapis to chase her (or Sephiroth for that matter). I'm pretty ok with that, I chased Ling/Louise knowing it would mean I wouldn't be able to pull for FFVIIR units.

I'm hoping that we get some cool GLEX unit surprises soon. I know we're due another unit design unit soon, although I'm only really interested in the magic damage dealer Moogle unit (and the very probable Dark field it will bring). Unless they do something unique and surprising with the healer and support units, they'll likely be skippable. Healer could be a SPR damage unit as well, which would be neat, and the support would have to have some killer buffs/weapon imperils/chain granting skills or be a good support chainer to compete with Ling.

Cruor on
    This game continues to mock me.

Remember how, since I didn't get either of them in their banners despite tossing my lapis there (some 25K on each), I recently used the NV of choice and the obnoxious shards from CoW to get Terra and Lunafreya?

So I tossed 20 gold ex tickets for laughs since the slots gave me like forty, and the second 10 roll had two NVs. Terra #2 and Lunafreya #2.

HAHAHAHAHA

And as per usual, the best way to get a unit is to not give a shit. When I try for a unit I care about, like Terra or Fina&Daisy, I either don't get them or have to go to pity. When I toss some tickets at a banner from a thing I don't really care, just to see what happens?
    nps5374vuddm.png

Fourth ticket. Swear to god.

Just a heads up if you didn't see it in the news, the stat pot maximums have been updated for every unit. Now every (non-HP/MP) stat has a max of 65 or 97 when door potted. This helps quite a few units who didn't have the higher stat pot limit before, like King Behemy who for some reason had a max of 50 for DEF.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Threw my remaining tickets at the banner since I figured I have a ton of Tifa gear (since I have dozens of other Tifa's). Got one NV which broke to NV Terra. Good reminder why I'm quitting haha. The off banner stuff just sucks, lower the rate and keep everything on banner. I couldn't even get excited when the red crystal came down, since there's a great chance it was off banner.

Hopefully they don't delay Sephiroth so I can blow my 60K on the banner.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Did the content for the week (the elemental dummies) and picked up another of Noel's STMRs because those killers are very nice. Grabbed three 4* EX tickets with the remaining cogs and got another SoS Lightning from them. I will gladly take a second copy of her STMR, thanks!

These dummies point out to me that I actually have kind of fuck all for Earth damage. Also having to equip multiple teams remains kind of a pest.

These dummies point out to me that I actually have kind of fuck all for Earth damage. Also having to equip multiple teams remains kind of a pest.

Do you have some copies of Verun's TMR (Craftman's Secret Book)? It can imbue with all of the elements you need for the dummies. Just put one on your best finisher and another on any physical tag chainer and there ya go. If you need LB fill you can bring Sylvie if you have her (who also has earth imbue/imperil/amp so you could skip Verun's TMR for that clear).

Oh, right, Sylvie can imbue Earth too. I have used her for Light and Lightning imbue so much that I straight up forgot she also has an Earth AoE imbue. That should simplify matters.

On finishers, though, most of my good finishers are magic and thus not really imbue-able. But I'll manage.

With Sylvie you can just bring two good chainers. Thankfully you don't need to worry about breaks since the dummies are immune to all breaks, and Sylvie takes care of all the other stuff

Also, did a 10-roll since hey, 2000 lapis for the first step is better than daily half price rates.

...and got a second Tifa. This seems rather implausible!

That sure does seem like an STMR I want doubles of, though.

Also, did a 10-roll since hey, 2000 lapis for the first step is better than daily half price rates.

...and got a second Tifa. This seems rather implausible!

That sure does seem like an STMR I want doubles of, though.

You 100% want two of her STMR since they stack and are gonna be BiS accessories for a lot of damage dealers thanks to their sky-high ATK.

Tossed a couple of random tickets for funsies. Got a Louise, so I now have her EX+2, so that's cool

Tossed a couple of random tickets for funsies. Got a Louise, so I now have her EX+2, so that's cool

I got a random Louise from an EX ticket earlier, so I'm one copy away from her EX+3. I think if I get another copy I'll wait to EX+3 her until we see if the next CoW is weak/neutral to Fire damage.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Did the cheap step up and got 2 AC Tifas. Only have one STMR Moogle though. Other than voting, how can i get more?

Edit: nm, forgot about the STMR tickets. Have 360 of those. Glad to see them add 50% ones now.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    I got a single NV Tifa myself, hoping to luck into another before her banner goes away.