As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Keep On Trekkin' (Lower Decks stuff in SPOILERS)

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't know if somebody actually planned it out, but LD S2 starting up just as Rick and Morty S5 winds down is some great timing.

Meanwhile I'm over here detoxing from my Marvel TV hits I was getting.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Prodigy looks like one of the many bad Star Wars animated shows.

1) I'm not enough into Star Wars to watch many of the series, but my understanding is that the animated series are generally very good?
    2) That Prodigy trailer gave me chills.

I thought there was one real bad movie that spun off into at least two shows with the same unfortunate art style.

I'm just disappointed that there's so much Trek happening but none of it is just another standard show. If they're all weird side things, it kinda misses the point.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I know TOS and TNG had commemorative plates.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SratAbQGIEo

But I don't think Tom Paris ever got a plate? Hell, I don't think Voyager got a video game. Even Deep Space Nine got a video game and that was a show about an immobile space station.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

But I don't think Tom Paris ever got a plate? Hell, I don't think Voyager got a video game. Even Deep Space Nine got a video game and that was a show about an immobile space station.

Voyager got the Elite Force series, some of the best Star Trek games ever made.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Whoops, I was wrong. As of 24 hours ago, there is a Tom Paris commemorative plate.
    https://www.startrek.com/news/the-tom-paris-commemorative-plate

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

I actually possess one of those Spock plates, plus a bunch of the mugs from that set and a plate from a different (25th anniversary, maybe?) collection showing Kirk in the flood of tribbles out of the grain storage bin from The Trouble with Tribbles. This represented the vast majority of my gift haul for either Christmas or my birthday that year. I was over the moon. I can try to produce a photo to share later, but they are still boxed up, along with my collection of (non-Trek) tiki mugs, awaiting the eventual renovation of my workshop/office/cave. You know, the room downstairs. With no windows. That guests wouldn't accidentally wander into while looking for the bathroom or the TV area. That room, that's the one where these artifacts can be displayed. :)

"When did you realize you were an incurable nerd, hlprmnky?" "Oh, really, I've always known I guess, but this one year, I was overjoyed and excited to get Star Trek commemorative plates for Christmas!"

e: I looked it up and the Tribbles plate is also 20th anniversary, so just to clarify - this would have been Christmas the year of, or gifts for, my tenth or eleventh birthday. Transformers? GI Joe? Outta here with that nonsense, hook me up with those plates, fam!

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

I can’t tell how much I’d love to see a new Elite Force game.

Especially the ability to just…hang out on the ship and walk around.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

I can’t tell how much I’d love to see a new Elite Force game.

Especially the ability to just…hang out on the ship and walk around.

That expansion pack was worth every penny

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Is elite force legally avalible on GoG or anywhere else or is it another good Star Trek game that vanished down the legal black hole?

I still miss Armada II.... :(

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    Is elite force legally avalible on GoG or anywhere else or is it another good Star Trek game that vanished down the legal black hole?

I still miss Armada II.... :(

The multiplayer got a community re-release with the approval of CBS and Raven. The single player is sadly unavailable anywhere sensible.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    As far as I can tell, none of the Star Trek games from that era are still legally available. That includes the Armada games, Legacy, Shattered Universe, Bridge Commander, and a ton of games running the range from shovelware to outstanding.

Same to earlier ones, for that matter. STO and Trexels seem to be the oldest Star Trek games that didn't get sucked into the Graviton Ellipse.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, none of the Star Trek games from that era are still legally available. That includes the Armada games, Legacy, Shattered Universe, Bridge Commander, and a ton of games running the range from shovelware to outstanding.

Same to earlier ones, for that matter. STO and Trexels seem to be the oldest Star Trek games that didn't get sucked into the Graviton Ellipse.

I’ve got some bad news for you about Trexels.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Oh mannnnn bridge commander! I forgot about bridge commander.

Is there any other videogame currently available that is remotely like it?

It may well be totally unique.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Anyone remember this one?
    https://youtu.be/Z40VMsXtl0Y

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Starfleet Academy was fun because whenever you go into a nebula I figured out you can redirect shield energy to sensors to make your targeting more reliable.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Star Trek Bridge Crew, although that’s mostly a great VR showcase.

And of course, there are crappy mobile micro transaction games.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites are on GoG.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I still wanna play Bridge Crew at some point.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I still wanna play Bridge Crew at some point.

I’m pretty sure I have a spare key for it, if that’s all that’s stopping you.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    My computer is too old and weak to run Bridge Crew. It'll start it, but crashes out somewhere around the first fight. :(

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    My computer is too old and weak to run Bridge Crew. It'll start it, but crashes out somewhere around the first fight. :(

So the first fight is the Kobayashi Maru?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »

So the first fight is the Kobayashi Maru?

Flashing lights, excessive heat, failing controls, a sudden absence of functional bridge crew... yup, it checks out.

• Options
    Watching “Symbiosis”, and I just want to scream and throw things. I won’t reignite that Culture/Federation/Prime Directive moral inaction thread again. But wow. This is awful.

• Options
    My commitment to watch along with the Greatest Generation’s watch of Voyager has led to a dark place - S2E9, “Tattoo”. It’s bad! It’s real bad, I don’t like it.
    When we finally get to meet the “Rubber Tree People” I said, out loud, “why in the fuck do these folks have loaf!?” and the answer is of course exactly what you’d expect, right down to the Alien Benefactors being just Improbably White™.
    Strictly Worse Prometheus, I give you 2 out of 10 stars and both of those stars are for the actually-good B plot with Kes and the Doctor redeeming the -4 or -5 of 10 that the A plot deserves on its own.
    I’m still looking forward to seeing how the GG crew reacts to …this, but I for sure wish I could listen to the podcast and then scrub it and “Tattoo” from my memory. Christ.

_
  • Options
    Watching “Symbiosis”, and I just want to scream and throw things. I won’t reignite that Culture/Federation/Prime Directive moral inaction thread again. But wow. This is awful.

sure an entire planet will have to go though the agony of withdrawal, planetary economies will collapse and millions will die of hinger and possibly start generations of warfare, but the important thing is they'll all learn a valuable life lesson... Always leave a note.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    My commitment to watch along with the Greatest Generation’s watch of Voyager has led to a dark place - S2E9, “Tattoo”. It’s bad! It’s real bad, I don’t like it.
    When we finally get to meet the “Rubber Tree People” I said, out loud, “why in the fuck do these folks have loaf!?” and the answer is of course exactly what you’d expect, right down to the Alien Benefactors being just Improbably White™.
    Strictly Worse Prometheus, I give you 2 out of 10 stars and both of those stars are for the actually-good B plot with Kes and the Doctor redeeming the -4 or -5 of 10 that the A plot deserves on its own.
    I’m still looking forward to seeing how the GG crew reacts to …this, but I for sure wish I could listen to the podcast and then scrub it and “Tattoo” from my memory. Christ.

Fixing Chakotay would require so much work you’d end up with a different character.

Robert Beltran deserved better and the Voyager writing team ought to be ashamed.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Tattoo is the actual worst episode of Star Trek. At least in Code of Honor they were "aliens".

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    sure an entire planet will have to go though the agony of withdrawal, planetary economies will collapse and millions will die of hinger and possibly start generations of warfare, but the important thing is they'll all learn a valuable life lesson... Always leave a note.
    As I recall the productive capacity was all on the addict planet, it probably wouldn't be that bad for them. And who cares what happens to the dealer planet, obviously. It's clearly not the best solution, but I think it's supposed to be a message more like blowing up the train in Snowpiercer.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    hlprmnky wrote: »

Fixing Chakotay would require so much work you’d end up with a different character.

Robert Beltran deserved better and the Voyager writing team ought to be ashamed.

Beltran knew he deserved better and let the showrunners (and anyone else who asked), know about it. Really sucks because all he got for his frustrations was a reputation for being a diva and difficult.

That has got to be a real monkey's paw moment for an actor. You secure 5+ years of steady television work, the kind of thing that could set you up for life, and they give you the worst, and sometimes culturally offensive, writing you've ever seen.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    As I recall the productive capacity was all on the addict planet, it probably wouldn't be that bad for them. And who cares what happens to the dealer planet, obviously. It's clearly not the best solution, but I think it's supposed to be a message more like blowing up the train in Snowpiercer.

Both planets economies would completely collpase

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Coinage wrote: »

Both planets economies would completely collpase

Having just watched it, they explicitly say that the population on the drug, while experiencing withdrawl, will feel like they're dying for a few days.

That is, if we think about it harder than the episode wants us to, going to kill quite a few people if it kicks in all at once, which it will.
    Assuming that a people who think they are about to run out of a life-giving vaccine don't do anything rash before that, like totally destroy what remains of their civilisation in a panic.

It's really not a good episode. The only bright spot is Crusher giving Picard an absolute load of "This is bullshit" as soon as she figures out that it is, in fact, bullshit.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    also i'd imagine once the rich planet with all the space faring tech start running out of food they'll very quickly mobilize and start carpet bombing rehab planet until they get their chicky nuggies

• Options
    edited July 2021
    also i'd imagine once the rich planet with all the space faring tech start running out of food they'll very quickly mobilize and start carpet bombing rehab planet until they get their chicky nuggies

In fairness to the episode, it appears that the Planet of Addiction has no idea how to fix their freighters on their own. So the rich dealer planet is going to have to figure out something else pretty quick. Because the dependence they enforced made their "partners" so dumb that they actually can't help if they wnated to (they eventually let their freighter blow up due to lack of knowhow for a simple maintenance procedure, even after Picard sends them the parts).

So the planet with everything but drugs is going to go through a society-wide convulsion where a great many people die, because everyone from babies to pensioners is going to go through withdrawl basically simultaneously. Indeed, the representatives of that people call this out explicitly to Picard. Troi tells them to "trust in yourselves", which I'm sure will be a great comfort.

The planet with all the drugs is going to presumably go through a society-wide convulsion when they have to reconfigure their entire economy at short notice in orer to do something other than make drugs. That one is ridiculous on its face, obviously. Though assuming it's true, they're smart enough to realise the implications, and probably smart enough to start down the road of unclogging their economy before the final round of "vaccine" doses runs out. Still, quite a few folk probably die there, too.

Top work Starfleet, well done.

I actually think I like the meta of what the episode is trying to do - showing that the Prime Directive leads to hard, often sub optimal choices. But I really don't like the way it does it, because it doesn't really embrace the consequences of those choices. There's another episode, a few earlier in the season, where a Federation Ambassador traffics weapons to a rebel group to retrieve a group of Federation hostages, so turns around and gives the same arms to the side they're fighting against in an effort to restore the balance. It also ends badly, but would, if it were an episode in itself, rather than background, make for a far more nuanced exploration of the kind of issues the directive has, I think.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    I hadn't thought of that before but you're 100% correct - it's A Taste of Armageddon except instead of Kirk forcing the issue and then giving a rousing and effective speech about the inestimable value attached to the hard work of forging peace, Picard says "get fucked, drug pusher" and peaces out. One wonders if extra-textually that system was tagged for followup by a Second Contact team, or if they're just waiting out there in the black, building a common culture on the basis of hatred of The Federation, Bringers of the Withdrawal War.

_
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Weren't they aware of the Prime Directive, and leaning on it hard to say "look, we both know what's really going on here, but your own laws say you can't do jack about it."?

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Weren't they aware of the Prime Directive, and leaning on it hard to say "look, we both know what's really going on here, but your own laws say you can't do jack about it."?

Yeah, they were smugly telling Picard that he can't do anything due to the Prime Directive. And Picard eventually responds by saying "Quite right, we don't have to do anything. Including helping either of you."

• Options
    The realistic outcome is going to be that once the Enterprise left, both sides would strive to reestablish the status quo. No permanent solution was arrived at, and the setback with the freighters can be handled by contracting out for more reliable transport or to get outside help to repair the freighters. The dealers will do this out of generosity because the short term expense is worth it, and they can squeeze the addicts a bit more until they recoup it anyway.

And as for the addicts, there's a lot more than those few twitchy guys in sickbay, and convincing the rest of their people is going to be difficult, while simply giving in to the drug is easy.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The realistic outcome is going to be that once the Enterprise left, both sides would strive to reestablish the status quo. No permanent solution was arrived at, and the setback with the freighters can be handled by contracting out for more reliable transport or to get outside help to repair the freighters. The dealers will do this out of generosity because the short term expense is worth it, and they can squeeze the addicts a bit more until they recoup it anyway.

And as for the addicts, there's a lot more than those few twitchy guys in sickbay, and convincing the rest of their people is going to be difficult, while simply giving in to the drug is easy.
    In my head canon, the Ferengi swoop in and make things remarkably worse.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    First we buy that drug for 100% pure gold because those people have never heard of latinum. We'll sell it to Klingons as an aphrodisiac. Next we'll take the addict's entire economic output for free, because we found out that industrial waste from theta radiation reclamation also satisfies the cravings. Yes, this will kill all the addicts, but we can't get away with that for long anyway and the drug is worth way more than they're able to pay.

Hevach on
This discussion has been closed.