As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics

KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
I have been enjoying SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics on steam. There were complaints on the emulation, but it seems good to me. They may have patched it. This version has Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I think it also has Ecco the Dolphin.
I played some Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and Beyond Oasis. I was kind of lost in Beyond Oasis. So, let's talk about some Genesis games!

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I have a copy of Sega Genesis Classics on my PS4 and I love it: the hub interface is neat; the graphics settings are fun to play around with; and I'll take easy-access to Phantasy Star III (underrated), Phantasy Star IV (one of the best RPGs of all time, in my opinion), and Shining Force I & II (the series that single-handedly drove me toward a lifelong love of Strategy RPGs) where I can take it. The Library is pretty comprehensive, with lots of fantastic Genesis titles like Beyond Oasis and Landstalker and many more, with very few notable exceptions (I'd have loved for Shadowrun, Toejam and Earl, and Castlevania: Bloodlines to have been included, but it is what it is). Really great collection.

milk ducks on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Genesis Mini has Bloodlines. It also has the Mickey Mouse games.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    And the extremely-rare-but-not-actually-all-that-special version of Tetris.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Bloodlines is more easily accessible from the Castlevania Collection, just to put that out there.

There seems to be some slowdown in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It may be hardware accurate. It seems to slowdown when lots of stuff is going on. It slows down a little when Sonic is running from the bomber.

I think you can run the roms in other emulators. You are probably not supposed to.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

I adore my Megadrive Mini (Japanese model, with the better controllers), in many was it brings me more immediate pleasure than my SNES Mini even though I use them for the same purpose, and even though they're both tecnically inferior to my RetroPi.

One unexpected complaint: any sort of hacking of the MD Mini (with the community Hakchi tool, which is effectively the standard) breaks control input in one original game: Alisia Dragoon (JP box art: typical late 1980's leggy magical princess; US box art: half-naked Xena/Conan the Barbarian crossover). No one's sure why this happens, and by and large no one cares (you could just put another copy of the game onto the system and run that one instead). Kind of annoying (but not the end of the world by any means); despite preferring the MD controller, I ended up leaving my MD games on the SNES Mini instead.

Semi-related: various pre-Megadrive Sega classics are half the reason I bought the Shenmue collection on Xbox One. :lol:

Synthesis on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The Genesis Mini has Bloodlines.

I think it's weird that there were ever only two Castlevania games released on a Sega console (and one of them was even a rushed, sloppy port).

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I think it's weird that there were ever only two Castlevania games released on a Sega console (and one of them was even a rushed, sloppy port).

The rough draft of the potential Dreamcast Castlevania was revealed recently, so there was almost 3.

The rough draft of the potential Dreamcast Castlevania was revealed recently, so there was almost 3.

It had the female Belmont too.

• ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    I've bought this collection on a few different platforms, now. It's definitely one of the better playable museum exhibits out there, along with Midway Arcade Treasures and SNK Arcade Classics. Though it does make me sad, all over again, that Nintendo's stuff is (officially) still so shackled to their hardware.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
    I played some Ecco the Dolphin. I was stuck on what to do at the beginning. I looked at GameFaqs. Apparently, a dolphin is supposed to challenge me to jump real high.

Oh no. Ecco might be frustrating.
    https://youtu.be/6144EJIDj94

I've bought this collection on a few different platforms, now. It's definitely one of the better playable museum exhibits out there, along with Midway Arcade Treasures and SNK Arcade Classics. Though it does make me sad, all over again, that Nintendo's stuff is (officially) still so shackled to their hardware.

You pretty much have to dump the roms on your SNES carts. I have found that the dumper does not always work for some carts.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    There seems to be some slowdown in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It may be hardware accurate. It seems to slowdown when lots of stuff is going on. It slows down a little when Sonic is running from the bomber.

I seem to remember this happening on the PC version too (S3K & Garfield)

discrider wrote: »

I seem to remember this happening on the PC version too (S3K & Garfield)

Yes. I think it is normal.