As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Skip Barber

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Skip Barber

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    cyborg liono vs catwoman strife?

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Hot take: gameplay is just the chore you do so you can treat yourself to another cutscene.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Hot take: gameplay is just the chore you do so you can treat yourself to another cutscene.

There's a few games I'd say that applies to.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    islingtonislington Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

There's a few complete genres I'd say that applies to.

Fixed it...

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    In case anyone was wondering about the title. Skip Barber is a professional race driving school.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

that's how I play Mortal Kombat games... but the cutscenes are so stupid

why am I playing these games?!

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    Trials of Mana gives me that vibe when you skip any part of a sentence, they make it feel like you missed volumes...

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    >islington wrote >>
    >
    > H3Knuckles wrote: »
    >
    > Anon von Zilch wrote: »
    > Hot take: gameplay is just the chore you do so you can treat yourself to another >cutscene.
    >
    >
    > There's a few complete genres I'd say that applies to.
    >
    >
    >Fixed it...

Some people show up at the fair just to see an accident, or to people watch, different strokes.

• Options
    NemuriBakuNemuriBaku Registered User regular
    CatDad: "Jubjub is extremely addictive, and causes macular degeneration. You don't want to wind up in the cyber--"
    CatBro: "No. No way. I'm not doing this. I don't have time for this conversation."

• Options
    ListList Registered User new member
    Where is this RPG that I can play a badass lady cat knight? Why is this not a thing that exists?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    A lot of games would benefit significantly from learning to show and not tell. Cut scenes are a visual medium!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    palidine40 wrote: »
    Trials of Mana gives me that vibe when you skip any part of a sentence, they make it feel like you missed volumes...

The Trials remake, as much as I enjoyed it, had several issues with that, where in basically any dialogue scene skipping the line of text would instantly jump you to the next line, even if there were 30 seconds of animation with no dialogue between them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    "Where is this RPG that I can play a badass lady cat knight? Why is this not a thing that exists?"

Final Fantasy XIV says hello

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Finally, the backstory to the Google Olympics Doodle game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    The opposite of this is games that have multi-part cutscenes with loading screens between them that you have to skip part by part.

River City Girls was the worst about this. You could easily spend as much time waiting to retry a boss fight as it took to get your ass kicked in the first place.

• Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    Well minus the last couple panels that's my relationship with FFXIV.

• Options
    beeftruckbeeftruck Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

that's how I play Mortal Kombat games... but the cutscenes are so stupid

why am I playing these games?!

During peak coof lockdown I sat around shitfaced and watched all the cutscenes from MK9 through 11 as one hours-long movie. I haven't actually played the games since 3. No regrets, it was better than that MK movie that just came out.

• Options
    Radiated RoninRadiated Ronin Registered User regular
    You captured the feeling of Xenosaga in a mere four panels. Well played!