As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I don't understand the point of arena. Why not just play regular underworlds?

It’s just a variant. More tuned for multiplayer. A bit less serious. I enjoyed it as a fun diversion with the original WD rules but haven’t felt the need to buy the box.

Cynically it’s a way of boosting the price on flogging a few new cards for the full game as well.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    It's definitely made for having like multiple people smash their models together. It's not really supposed to be for 1v1

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    You can already play UW multiplayer.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Arena Mortis is faster paced, and you only use a single model. The amount of wounds your model has determines how many upgrades you start with to help with game balance (so you can take a doofus like Arnulf and start with a bunch of upgrades, or take a beefcake like Gurzag Ironskull and start with none). In regular multiplayer Underworlds, when a model is dead it's removed, but in Arena Mortis when your model dies it comes back. It's a very different game compared to regular Underworlds with three or four players.

While we're talking about Underworlds game types though, the Glassmad Gargant is a ton of fun, and I recommend anyone who plays Underworlds to give it a shot sometime. It's multiple warbands teaming up against a single, very tough Gargant model who isn't controlled by anyone (it has specific actions it takes). It's "cooperative", but you can still get up to some shenanigans if you want to (like attacking the Gargant with one of your models, and then using Confusion to swap places with another player's model so that when the Gargant attacks back your model is safe). The Gargant's card was only available in a White Dwarf quite a while back, but there are scans of it (and the rules) all over the internet.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I've never really had a desire to build a Kruleboyz army, but that model is incredible.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Facebook reminded me that this thing has been sitting at that stage of painting for five years now.

Rude, Facebook.

8lis1suykkzb.png

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Facebook reminded me that this thing has been sitting at that stage of painting for five years now.

Rude, Facebook.

8lis1suykkzb.png

... I'm supposed to be seeing Battle Cat, right? Because that doesn't look very much like He-Man up top.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Don't worry, he still has the power.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Kragnos is gonna be pissed

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm not really feeling it. Kinda generic maybe?

I think I would've liked an update of the more snake-like typically Warhammer dragon a bit more. Or something in between. These are eh.

I think they look incredible. The face on the green one especially I think is great. Super mischievous vibe.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Maybe I've just turned into an old grognard around the time realmlords came out.

With different factions they could do different types of dragons, that way everyone gets something (and then no one is happy when you don't get your specific flavour of dragon in your faction).

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm not really feeling it. Kinda generic maybe?

I do agree they are extremely dragon.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The models are very well made but weirdly just a straight up dragon in a setting that is generally happy to be a little more creative

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I want them to make an all dragon army. I would play that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I think I generally agree with the criticism of these models, that while they're nice they aren't to the creative and detail standards set by other large models recently. Like look at these Dragons and compare them with the ridiculous detail, pose and feel that the Kruelboyz Mouth of Mork has going for it. They look very plain and like they could have come from Wizkids Ancient Dragon series, instead of something that fits with the over the top aesthetic of AoS.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hrmm.

e06wuy7ly8am.png

Yep, can't unsee that.

H9f4bVe.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I dunno, I like em.

I mean yeah I get what people are saying, totally understand, but I kinda like the fact that they are just, y'know, dragons.

edit- I think maybe because of late people have been doing fancier and fancier dragon designs and there is just something nice about someone going, "Nah, dragons are cool as dragons."

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    My immediate thought is that they remind me of DragonHeart. (Which is, in general, not something I like things to do.)

I saw someone elsewhere bring up the dragons from the Spyro remakes, and that's also a fair comparison. They were obviously going for personality, but it comes off... cartoony. I'd have preferred an "unknowable intelligence" vibe, though I don't know how you could sculpt that. (Besides doing what the Lumineth did and have masks.)

I'd have preferred an "unknowable intelligence" vibe, though I don't know how you could sculpt that. (Besides doing what the Lumineth did and have masks.)

Actually, dragons with masks, more armor, robes, weapons and gear, etc. might be a neat look. You don't often think of dragons as wearing stuff, but it can be cool when done well.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    My immediate thought is that they remind me of DragonHeart. (Which is, in general, not something I like things to do.)

I saw someone elsewhere bring up the dragons from the Spyro remakes, and that's also a fair comparison. They were obviously going for personality, but it comes off... cartoony. I'd have preferred an "unknowable intelligence" vibe, though I don't know how you could sculpt that. (Besides doing what the Lumineth did and have masks.)

I was thinking a bit more of Dragon Prince vibes from Netflix.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The Smaug mini is a good dragon. But I guess GW didn't really design that.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The Smaug mini is a good dragon. But I guess GW didn't really design that.

They had to design it twice cos his appearance changed between movies!

But, yeah, the new dragons aren't blowing me away really, they're perfectly good sculpts but I can't say I'd be interested in painting/playing with them. It's a little surprising that they're both named variants too actually, I think I'd be more likely to grab one if there was a generic build that could fit into any Order force, or something.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think they look incredible. The face on the green one especially I think is great. Super mischievous vibe.

Green one would be voiced by Tony Jay if he were still around.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    It feels like they have had a concerted effort to pull things back a bit towards more well trodden fantasy concepts with the recent AoS releases. Early on it was all "Fish Elf Soul Pirates!" "Lava Dwarf Nudists!" "Bone golem Alexander the great" "Sky Ship Squats!" and "Oops all medusas". And now they've calmed down a bit to "lord of the rings orcs" "Zombies and Vampires" and "A dragon"

I appreciate them going back to classic fantasy, but I hope the future of AoS still has some really bonkers weird things too.

edited July 2021
    I'm definitely in the camp that thinks they are cool and fun specifically because they are just dragons with personality. It's creative and weird in it's simplicity, in this setting, because this setting is so creative and weird in other ways.

GnomeTank on
    edited July 2021
    I just read the actual article and realized Krondys (the green one) will likely be something that can be souped in with Stormcast Eternals, given his fluff. Urge to purchase rising.

e: Ha, the end of the article specifically calls out that they both will have some way to to work with Stormcast.

GnomeTank on
    Yeah, the supreme father of all dragons in the setting is BFFs with Sigmar, so naturally they'll have some close ties.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I just read the actual article and realized Krondys (the green one) will likely be something that can be souped in with Stormcast Eternals, given his fluff. Urge to purchase rising.

e: Ha, the end of the article specifically calls out that they both will have some way to to work with Stormcast.

Krondys’ armour decorations makes him pretty visually clearly a Stormcast unit.

MhCw7nZ.gif

Krondys’ armour decorations makes him pretty visually clearly a Stormcast unit.
    On his chest, below his armour, Krondys is marked with the twin-tailed comet – a sigil which represents the alliance between Sigmar and Draconith. Filled with sadness and shame at the fall of the ancient Draconith Empires to which he is heir, it is Krondys’ great hope that, in alliance with the Stormcast Eternals, his kin might once more rise to greatness.

Golden Yak wrote: »
    Yeah, the supreme father of all dragons in the setting is BFFs with Sigmar, so naturally they'll have some close ties.

Stormcast also already have Stardrakes, which are celestial dragons. It would be weird if they couldn't take the new models.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I suspect Krondys and Karazai will both be in Stormcast (a shame I wouldn’t mind seeing a dragon faction); I believe there are rumours floating about concerning stormcast riding dragons.

I suspect karazai will be able to go in to a bunch of other order factions.

PSN Fleety2009
    Reading the realm lords book since it talks about Tyrion and how one city/state's army leans more to that side and in general the book vaguely talks about it I am now curious about them and whatever Malekith/Maleron's elves are
    With Tyrion it would have been neat to have dragon knights once again but the Stormcast get all the neat things

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    My read on the article was that the blue guy was mostly a stormcast unit (or at least gets bonuses in a stormcast army) whereas the red chap could show up in any Order force, but I may well be reading between lines that aren't there.

edited July 2021
    According to that article we're still a couple weeks from the battletome pre-order. Hopefully the battletome and green dragon guy go up together as I'll be getting both.

I need to get my blending in order to paint him. Most of my painting over the last couple years has been space marines and stormcast which have much harder lines.

GnomeTank on
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I wish the Skaven ratling gunner and warpfire thrower were like the ones in vermintide. Looks so much cooler than a weapon team.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    I'm going to (finally) play my first game of 3.0 tomorrow. My friend and I are just playing a vanilla game using the Dominion models so we can get the hang of any new rules/changes. I'll be playing the Stormcast half, and he'll be playing the Kruleboyz.

He tells me "Don't make the table too dense". Just for that I'm gonna make the table look like Mordheim on steroids.

This discussion has been closed.