As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I know there's an option to turn that off, but can't remember if it's in DS2, Scholar or just DS3.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I know there's an option to turn that off, but can't remember if it's in DS2, Scholar or just DS3.

Just DS3

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    Doing a DS2 run (yes I am going through the games to try and slake my thirst for Elden Ring) I remembered why I never used great weapons in it.

The aiming sucks

What aiming?

The fact that focus/targeting does not determine where a great weapon will hit is a gameplay style I just cannot abide
    certain weapons have certain tolerances

i like one-handed great axes with vertical swings as they can be manually aimed almost in a full circle

some of the vertical hit greatswords can't be manually aimed outside of about a 45 degree angle and they feel kinda shit to play

I don’t like the manual aim. I use the lock on to pick my targets in DS2 and my movement to get them in place and missing a shot because I was moving back and to the left feels really bad.

it's awkward to get used to, and you get occasional misinputs, but it's, ime, a huge benefit overall. you can play much more reactively and have a much, much better time dealing with multiple enemy encounters

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    By end of a great sword playthrough I was completely accustomed to it, to the point I had to think hard to remember what you were talking about because I'd kinda internalised it unconsciously.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I usually adopt a run and punt method as an opener using a big weapon so no locking works well for me in that case

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Doing a DS2 run (yes I am going through the games to try and slake my thirst for Elden Ring) I remembered why I never used great weapons in it.

The aiming sucks

What aiming?

The fact that focus/targeting does not determine where a great weapon will hit is a gameplay style I just cannot abide
    certain weapons have certain tolerances

i like one-handed great axes with vertical swings as they can be manually aimed almost in a full circle

some of the vertical hit greatswords can't be manually aimed outside of about a 45 degree angle and they feel kinda shit to play

I don’t like the manual aim. I use the lock on to pick my targets in DS2 and my movement to get them in place and missing a shot because I was moving back and to the left feels really bad.

it's awkward to get used to, and you get occasional misinputs, but it's, ime, a huge benefit overall. you can play much more reactively and have a much, much better time dealing with multiple enemy encounters

I don’t have a problem with multiple enemy encounters when not using something like the great club.

I’m kinda sad about it but the Estoc is serving me very well

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Favorite levels nobody likes:

Huntsmans Copse, at least aesthetically

munsi45mqec1.jpg

• Options
    Dark Souls: Secret Shortcut In Firelink Shrine 0:14
    https://youtu.be/PLq-OPWs4dc

Would have been a pretty evil video if released 10 years ago lol

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Favorite levels nobody likes:

Huntsmans Copse, at least aesthetically

The Gutter when it's all lit up.

hEGR7MZh.jpg

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I unironically like Huntsman's Copse, except for the leadup to the chariot boss. That gauntlet is like... maybe two enemies too much.

Then again, that last bit probably applies across the board to DS2.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    I unironically like Huntsman's Copse, except for the leadup to the chariot boss. That gauntlet is like... maybe two enemies too much.

Then again, that last bit probably applies across the board to DS2.

Yeah DS2 (especially SOTFS) is just gankomatic.

I don't understand why they fixed the 3 archers next to the Sinners Rise bonfire but then added 12 billion samurai knights into Iron Keep.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    SOTFS is such a weird thing. The start of the shaded woods with the lion warriors was really good in the original, but then they decided to get rid of them in SOTFS and make it a really boring/easy area?

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    SOTFS is such a weird thing. The start of the shaded woods with the lion warriors was really good in the original, but then they decided to get rid of them in SOTFS and make it a really boring/easy area?

Yeah some of the decisions were good.

Others were... not.

In general it just feels incredibly ganky, but it's the only version of Dark Souls I haven't completed (except the Prepare to Die version, which I will never finish) so I'm currently working my way through.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I have fully completed the Prepare to Die Dark Souls (including all optional bosses), and SotFS excluding the multiplayer bosses, Darklurker, and the Ancient Dragon. I'm . . . god, where am I in Dark Souls 3? Irithyll of the Boreal Valley. Right. And if I can possibly fight off all the bosses in that, I will.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Bloodborne chalice dungeon update

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the ending is perfect

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Speedrun of Dark Souls (SPEEDRUN EXPLAINED - Any%) 41:08
    https://youtu.be/b9OvZn2eITo
    Skip the first 2:45, ads and stuff, explanation starts after that

• Options
    Sekiro - Things that you can parry 2:11
    https://youtu.be/x5YpKMXdPJ8

Huh I never attempted to parry any of these

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I feel like this track doesn't get enough love. It's simple, but it might be my favorite in the series.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JH0EfTIKw
    Doesn't quite sound like any other track in the series I can think of, but I think it hits the feel of the series better for me than any other track does.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Huh I never attempted to parry any of these

Me watching anyone play the game at all.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    I feel like this track doesn't get enough love. It's simple, but it might be my favorite in the series.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JH0EfTIKw
    Doesn't quite sound like any other track in the series I can think of, but I think it hits the feel of the series better for me than any other track does.

It is absolutely my favorite track in all the series.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Can NPCs SURVIVE this deadly grab attack? 5:59
    https://youtu.be/NbC-rbfe9nE

Quality content

To be honest when Iron Tarkus went in I was expecting the monster to explode or something.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    From the sound of it you can tell the Chaos Eater was having a bad time while Tarkus was inside

Bloodborne Insights ► Fully Restored Cleric Beast Shortcut Door! (Cut Content) 1:40
    https://youtu.be/TnwyZOzrEJA

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Huh I finally picked up the demons souls ps5 remaster; it wasn’t a priority since I’d played the original but I went magic since I melee’d it the first time through; I’d heard magic was easy mode and I kinda just wanted to breeze through while seeing the ps5 improvements .. im completely flabbergasted by how easy it is :o Approaching the end; done a few primevals etc and I’ve died three times; once to the dragon god in the tutorial and twice to falling down holes I didn’t see.
    This is awesome as my wife has always been interested by souls games but she’s terrible at video games and they’re too hard for her; going to tell her to play through this one and use magic

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    FYI for people who come here more than they go to Steam:
    For the past two years, we have offered a 50% discount on Dark Souls: Remastered for everyone who owned a copy of the original Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on Steam.

This message is to inform you that we are shuttering this discount program on September 30, 2021.

If you would like to take advantage of your discount before that final day, we invite you to do so.

Thank you,

The DARK SOULS Team

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Working my way through The Ringed City. Got myself summoned a few times for the demons boss. Every time, I did a plunging attack of the drop, and one time I hit the jackpot. Landed with a hit on one of their heads for an insta-stagger, then went right for the face stab.

• Options
    Gwynevere VS Biggest Creatures (Size Comparison) 2:02
    https://youtu.be/86gfDxSUcuw

I never noticed how insanely detailed they animated Gwynevere lol

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Forgot to go offline during my post Sulyvahn portion of this DS3 playthrough.

Got ganked by 3 Aldrich followers. Parry spammers all.

Know what just pisses off parry spammers more than anything? Firebombs and using seeds. Also, using a 1h axe, as apparently nobody knows how to deal with those.

I won.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular

Know what just pisses off parry spammers more than anything? Firebombs and using seeds. Also, using a 1h axe, as apparently nobody knows how to deal with those.

I won.

Now, when you say parry spammers, do you mean people spamming parry and hoping to get lucky or people who knew how to parry?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Speaking of Huntsman's Copse, friendly reminder that the Dark Souls movie came out last weekend:
    ja73gawwb81n.png

(not really, but it may as well be.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS6ksY8xWCY

The entire segment in The Green Chapel, especially:
    tlnjjt1zfm4v.png

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Kamar wrote: »

I won.

Now, when you say parry spammers, do you mean people spamming parry and hoping to get lucky or people who knew how to parry?

I’m thinking it was a mix of both.

I would move up and back and watch them swing for the fences with their off hands constantly.

I don’t expect the Aldrich gank troll teenagers to use some kind of skill tho tbh

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I basically expect nothing out of invaders except for them to take a few shots when your back is turned then hightail it into enemy infested sections of the level.

It’s so awful.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

I won.

I would move up and back and watch them swing for the fences with their off hands constantly.

I don’t expect the Aldrich gank troll teenagers to use some kind of skill tho tbh
    this should be super easy to backstab punish

• Options

I won.

this should be super easy to backstab punish

It was.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I play the Soulsborne games exclusively offline, because fuck anybody looking to shit on other people playing a game for fun.

Yeah, I miss the fun messages, but I miss absolutely nothing about people popping in with ultra-min-maxed builds exploiting imbalances just to fuck up my run. Hard pass.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    BuT yOu’Re MiSsInG hAlF tHe GaMe

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The weird thing for me is i never actually got invaded very much if at all. And mostly when i did i just fucked with them via disguises or popping a tree of giants seed.

I always like the idea of asymetric pvp ala dark souls, but in practice it's mostly crud (and sometimes very, very funny ambushes where you're all pretending to be pots)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
This discussion has been closed.