As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    show me a fullscreen of the cool undersea animal, i do not care about this anime person!!!!!!!

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Peas wrote: »
    【Deep Sea Review】Ocean Creatures of the Abyss! 1:12:41
    https://youtu.be/QpDf8Mcukoc

Welcome to the future of education

Anime tiddy is my preferred learning style

sarukun on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    show me a fullscreen of the cool undersea animal, i do not care about this anime person!!!!!!!

zefrank is right over there

ame is cool! by which i mean she's a weird gremlin girl

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    what if the anime person IS the undersea animal????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7K4HsbCgHs

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    They are also a weird gremlin girl but in a different way

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Is that what they call a V-tuber?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yes.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    That's a Shark-tuber. They're a different species.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Just for once I'd like to hear some good soil news.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I mean, better we figured that out now before that was our only plan for carbon sequestration.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's pretty bad in that it's one less tool in our toolbox and it's another reason we need to tweak current models another notch upward, but it's a fairly minor component in the vast complex assembly of bad things that is climate change.

In particular, not much money or political will has been wasted aside from a couple of pilot programs. Most of the big global efforts in that article, like cover crop subsidies and no-till agriculture, have been ongoing since at least the mid-80s, and they weren't invented for the purposes of climate change mitigation. They're primarily for soil and water conservation, and their possible use as a carbon sink was tacked on later as a side benefit.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    apparently global warming has sped up the earth's rotation slightly, canceling out leap seconds? or causing a problem with GPS systems? I'm not sure, this is kind of over my head.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well that's good because if the earth spins faster then the increased wind speed will cool it down

we can probably build more windmills to make the earth go faster

BahamutZERO.gif
    if I'm reading that right there might be a bit of a Y2K bug situation with some GPS devices on October 24th this year

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Can we back up just a second?

This tech bug situation is all very well but how is climate change making the earth spin faster? I want to hear more about that.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

This tech bug situation is all very well but how is climate change making the earth spin faster? I want to hear more about that.

Like an ice skater pulling their arms in to spin faster, ice and glacier melt is flowing from higher elevations into the sea shifting the Earth's mass closer to it's center causing it to spin faster.

The shifting weight distribution of all that lost ice is also cause a shift in the poles.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

Like an ice skater pulling their arms in to spin faster, ice and glacier melt is flowing from higher elevations into the sea shifting the Earth's mass closer to it's center causing it to spin faster.

The shifting weight distribution of all that lost ice is also cause a shift in the poles.

Ah Jesus fucking Christ man, like of course but come on I’m sick of this jackpot

Captain Inertia on
    That feels like something that would have happened constantly over the billions of years of ice ages coming and going. I mean during the dinosaurs it would have spun faster too, since it was a lot hotter then.

it probably did!

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited August 2021
    Like 4-5 degrees higher than today. Most of the landmass was in one place too. This (specifically rotation speed increase and decreases) is a minor thing in the gallons of big awfuls that is climate change, and compared to all the other things I'm not particularly worried.

I am laughing that tech hasn't learnt a single lesson from y2k.

Morninglord on
    to be fair, this problem seems harder to anticipate than the Y2K one

BahamutZERO.gif
    yeah true

Dinosaurs didn't care about leap seconds, so it was probably fine back then.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Like 4-5 degrees higher than today. Most of the landmass was in one place too. This (specifically rotation speed increase and decreases) is a minor thing in the gallons of big awfuls that is climate change, and compared to all the other things I'm not particularly worried.

I am laughing that tech hasn't learnt a single lesson from y2k.

Yeah, the flooding will be a bit more of an issue than the day being a fraction of a millisecond shorter (on human timescales).

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That feels like something that would have happened constantly over the billions of years of ice ages coming and going. I mean during the dinosaurs it would have spun faster too, since it was a lot hotter then.

You wouldn't believe the problems we had with GPSs back then

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So, this is cool: a team of astronomers working with the ESO's Very Large Telescope in Chile have announced they've found a planetary system with intriguing similarities to our own inner solar system, including a planet that could have oceans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfnlIoapky0

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    We need to get there and ruin it asap.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    We need to get there and ruin it asap.

You could just send me. I could go there first and then.. you know, let you guys know if you should come there too.

You shouldn't. You should just stay here.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That looks like it needs a Walmart and a chipotle.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    ...And a megachurch and a Koch Industries drilling and refinery operation

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    If you're somewhere with clear dark skies, it's a good night for viewing.

Early on, you've got the New Moon and Venus close to each other around Sunset.

As it gets dark, we've also got a rare naked eye recurrent Nova - RS Ophiuchi, for the first time since 2006:
    https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/a-rare-nova-visible-to-the-eye-see-it-while-you-can/

And as it moves past midnight, there's a good chance of seeing Perseids, as it's the peak of one of the best meteor showers of the year.
    https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/everything-you-need-to-know-perseid-meteor-shower/

That's not bad for a single night!

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    foggy here :(

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Well it was dark here for a couple hours.

But that's because the thunderstorms said we had lost our electricity privileges for the duration.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    World's First 3D Printed Rocket 19:57
    https://youtu.be/kz165f1g8-E

Written by Derek Muller, Petr Lebedev, and Emily Zhang
    Animation by Mike Radjabov
    Filmed by Derek Muller, Raquel Nuno, Trenton Oliver, and Emily Zhang
    Edited by Trenton Oliver
    SFX by Shaun Clifford
    Additional video supplied by Getty Images & Pond5
    Produced by Derek Muller, Petr Lebedev, and Emily Zhang

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I just got my first grant funded! It's a slot on an internal T32 training grant, which starts as a 9-month appointment with an option to extend it to two years depending on my performance. It covers my salary for the year, which is great. My PI is incredibly well funded, so this wasn't needed, but it will look very good on my CV and will also probably help me get the F32 NIH grant I just applied for.

Pretty happy right now!

edit: Internal slot on an National Institutes on Aging (NIA) training grant, that is, so the money comes from the NIH. Woo federal funding

Cruor on

Man, the pictures coming back from the Perseverance rover just put me there like previous rovers didn't. Look at that! The robot just drilled a little hole in a rock on another planet, and the photo quality is like something you took on your last hike!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Got slightly confused because the before and after images aren’t aligned very well so I gave it a go:
    5gu26hsrzi8d.jpeg

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    I got really confused for a bit because my eyes are insisting that hole is actually a raised circular disc

This discussion has been closed.