As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In a world, where [Trailers] are fun...

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    The only part that bugs me is that the movie seems to rely on the idea that the four guys who blew up a 10-story tall living marshmallow man, and then marched the Statue of Liberty through Manhattan in the span of only 5 years have been completely forgotten.

Didn't that happen between Ghostbusters 1 and 2? No one wanted to believe it, there weren't as many cameras, etc...

Yeah but even that was a plot crutch, they have to be the lovable losers, it's their thing.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The only part that bugs me is that the movie seems to rely on the idea that the four guys who blew up a 10-story tall living marshmallow man, and then marched the Statue of Liberty through Manhattan in the span of only 5 years have been completely forgotten.

Didn't that happen between Ghostbusters 1 and 2? No one wanted to believe it, there weren't as many cameras, etc...

Yeah but even that was a plot crutch, they have to be the lovable losers, it's their thing.

So they are using the same plot crutch here? :)

Like.. I'm an unabashed and loving fan of Tron: Legacy. Sometimes you just need to pull shit to get people where they need to be. And "the world has forgotten about the Ghostbusters" is an easy one.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NineNine Registered User regular
    I don't understand why anyone would waste a perfectly good bag of Doritos like that.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It looks ok, and at this point that would count as a win. Seeing Annie Potts was nice. It's not trying to ape the original (or even sequel), and there's no improv. I do roll my eyes with the outcast nerd story because this isn't the 80's and it'd be more like 21 Jump Street these days. If Finn Wolfhard's character is an unlikable punk like he became in Stranger Things then let Gozer win.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    That GB trailer looks competent but man, it's too serious and earnest for my taste.

Not one joke in there.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Kyougu wrote: »
    That GB trailer looks competent but man, it's too serious and earnest for my taste.

Not one joke in there.

There is another trailer/clip out there that shows more mini Stay-Puffs antics montage that Paul Rudd witnesses, and it definitely starts to go into absurdist territory, though in proper Ghostbusters "Safe in my chair this is funny, but if I was really there I wouldn't be able to sleep again" fashion.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Not one joke in there.

good.
    That's what Ghostbusters is
    https://youtu.be/6hDkhw5Wkas

Comedy comes from the subtle performances and long set up scenes that don't fit well in to a trailer.
    Last thing i'd want to see is a bunch of ad lib bull shit.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Not one joke in there.

good.

Comedy comes from the subtle performances and long set up scenes that don't fit well in to a trailer.

You mean like all the ad libbing that was in the very first movie?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Not one joke in there.

good.

You mean like all the ad libbing that was in the very first movie?

no

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Ad-libbing is different than what was done in the reboot. Which was improv

In the originals there was a script with beats that were going to be hit and going off script but in character can make sense. The actor takes the liberty.

But improv is not that. Improv is where there is no script and the direct just tells the actors to go at it.

You can sometimes tell the difference by the number of cameras. Let’s take the classic “ad-lib scene” from ghostbusters in the office.

This is set up for classic/easy shot/reverse shot. There is camera movement/change when there needs to be (because whatsisface getting up was blocked) and there are clear lines and beats that the scene has to get across. This allows a lot of freedom in editing even if it means every line uttered isn’t in the script.

Our counter example is “almost any shot in the reboot”. Wherein we have some theorized action happening off screen which we do not see because no camera is set up to record it(maybe there isn’t even one) And then we have our actors with no script and a static camera making everything up. There is no chance to edit, no way to make a real back and forth.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

This felt like four different movies in one, good lord.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular

Not one joke in there.

I dunno. I found the zombie miner getting coffee, the mini puft's gleeful surprise when getting impaled with an umbrella through the face, Rudd reaction to terror dog and the puft's and the whole car chase pretty funny.

For me the concept, catching weird but sometimes scary looking ghosts with dingy science is what's funny about it, and it seems they honor it well.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

This felt like four different movies in one, good lord.
    Looks Baa-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Psyched for Ghostbusters.

I can totally buy that in the 80s a bunch of Weirdos in New York did a thing that no one remembers.

There's a lot of things that happened in the 80s we don't remember, or not clearly, and that was also prime time for shit like David Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear, so especially in Farmillle, Iowa, I get them not remembering/believing it.

Hell most people never heard of the Tulsa Massacre until Watchmen came out. Like it's easy to forget history or bury it.

Prime example is Ghostbusters itself. It all centers around a building designed to be a cult summoning circle and no one knew anything about it until Ray found it in an old book and started digging through the permits office.

And like I had a grandparent that died when I was about Finn's age and had no idea what they did for a living, so I get the kids being like "I dunno he left us a farm out here. None of this shit looks familiar"

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I really do hope this film addresses what happened financially after the EPA got involved and especially post 9/11. I'm guessing the government might have taken issue with four guys who had nuclear weapons on their backs when three of them had no real clue how they worked.

• Options
    I don't think I can get in to anything sheep related unless those sheep are kicking Clarkson in the crotch

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I really do hope this film addresses what happened financially after the EPA got involved and especially post 9/11. I'm guessing the government might have taken issue with four guys who had nuclear weapons on their backs when three of them had no real clue how they worked.

There was only a glimpse of it in the trailer, but it looked like, spoiled for people who don't want to watch trailers:
    the containment unit had been hidden on the farm and buried, they were pulling a large metal box out of the ground at one point

1:13 in the trailer.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options

I figured it was a thing of "They won, its over", like "they closed the gate on the supernatural, services werent needed anymore, they probably have a plaque in NYC about it that noone sees, and venkman wandered off and found something scientifically spooky to research and study until he passed'(being what I am guessing is the crosspoint of waylines building in power but not a danger)

steam_sig.png
  • Options

There was only a glimpse of it in the trailer, but it looked like, spoiled for people who don't want to watch trailers:
    the containment unit had been hidden on the farm and buried, they were pulling a large metal box out of the ground at one point

I caught that, and I paused when
    the arm came out of the well, followed by Gozer's flat top

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Oh, I hadn't considered this! Of course Gozer would still be in there! Or something like that. I thought they sealed the gateway with Gozer on the other side. Argh. I need to watch that again.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

Oh, I hadn't considered this! Of course Gozer would still be in there! Or something like that. I thought they sealed the gateway with Gozer on the other side. Argh. I need to watch that again.
    You're right in that they did seal the gateway.

I'm honestly thinking the containment unit isn't a specialized piece of hardware, it actually connects to the other side. I don't think Egon made a box, I think he made a door.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular

I'm honestly thinking the containment unit isn't a specialized piece of hardware, it actually connects to the other side. I don't think Egon made a box, I think he made a door.

It's a mineshaft leading towards
    a gozer temple, complete with guard dogs and sacrificial chamber.

They are sitting on it in the previous trailer as well.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Alphagaia wrote: »

It's a mineshaft leading towards
    a gozer temple, complete with guard dogs and sacrificial chamber.

They are sitting on it in the previous trailer as well.

Yeah I see that now. You're right.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Not one joke in there.

good.

Improving a line between takes or just riffing when the cameras rolling has led to a million moments or brilliance.

Doing open mic at second city with a budget usually makes trash.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Trailer was a bit long, but that said the movie looks very promising. I assume Egon moved out to the countryside while investigating a Gozer temple or somesuch and was keeping an eye on it when he passed?

• Options
    Wanna really get hype?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTv40aQYdM

Cool seeing his family legacy and the movie legacy tied together.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    no vin diesel no family

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The cynic in me says Ghostbusters Except They're Women didn't work out so here's Ghostbusters Except They're Kids. If this one doesn't land I suppose the next one will be dogs or something. I'm sure the Air Bud franchise could use a pop culture shot in the arm.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    there's no rule that says a dog can't bust ghosts

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    what if its ghosts busting humans
    it's all a big misunderstanding

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    The cynic in me says Ghostbusters Except They're Women didn't work out so here's Ghostbusters Except They're Kids. If this one doesn't land I suppose the next one will be dogs or something. I'm sure the Air Bud franchise could use a pop culture shot in the arm.

Yeah, they already did a Stranger Things/Ghostbusters crossover IN Stranger Things. Sort of. :)

Here's an idea: leave old movies alone and make new ones.

(Which will never happen)

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

I feel like this has been something planned for a while and done independently of that one terrible movie with the Ghostbusters name slapped on. I get a lot more of a "Ghostbusters Extreme" feel with handing ghost busting off to a new generation rather than a clumsy, awful "Ghostbusters, But Ladies" sort-of-reboot.

I'm very much compelled to automatically not like this and that trailer had me more interested than the entirety of the last film, which felt like it was totally lost on what to do with the cast so it just did awful shit like ten minutes of gross-out humor.

But time will tell if the trailer is underselling the film, or if it's just a horribly cringy direct-to-home-video grade of slapdash effort.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options

We already did this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRMu7RytXyE

If you want supernatural animals, its never been a better time to adapt the Bunnicula books.
    515MBTEMKYL._SX335_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Honestly I see Saban films I know its going to be bad and that looks terrible.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I can totally buy that in the 80s a bunch of Weirdos in New York did a thing that no one remembers.

There's a lot of things that happened in the 80s we don't remember, or not clearly, and that was also prime time for shit like David Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear, so especially in Farmillle, Iowa, I get them not remembering/believing it.

Hell most people never heard of the Tulsa Massacre until Watchmen came out. Like it's easy to forget history or bury it.

Prime example is Ghostbusters itself. It all centers around a building designed to be a cult summoning circle and no one knew anything about it until Ray found it in an old book and started digging through the permits office.

And like I had a grandparent that died when I was about Finn's age and had no idea what they did for a living, so I get the kids being like "I dunno he left us a farm out here. None of this shit looks familiar"

The GB's would change society, they confirmed spirits are real and attacked on a large scale New York City twice. The Titanic came back. Everything's in the open now, it irritates me when series do this - like Doctor Who. They do this so it remains a recognisable world for the audience and to make the heroes underdogs.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It just gets kind of dumb really.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

The GB's would change society, they confirmed spirits are real and attacked on a large scale New York City twice. The Titanic came back. Everything's in the open now, it irritates me when series do this - like Doctor Who. They do this so it remains a recognisable world for the audience and to make the heroes underdogs.

People forgetting about everything Ghostbuster-related is a far, far less ridiculous notion to me than the idea of 30-40% of a supposedly-educated population simply denying a pandemic exists because it makes their politicians look bad and makes them personally look stupid. Or the fact that a significant chunk of the population believes that angels are an actual thing in the actual world with absolutely zero evidence ever of such a thing.

In the first movie, Peck is trying to discount everything as a scam created by using hallucinogens and lights and the city totally backs his push. In the second movie, everyone has already discounted the Ghostbusters as being a scam because lawyers spun it that way in public to try and pin damage on them that insurance wouldn't cover. In both cases, the disaster has to reach the point of personally and directly affecting the mayor before the Ghostbusters were even allowed out of confinement to do anything. And afterwards? You can bet your ass that mayor turned coat on the Ghostbusters if it was politically convenient.

If the new movie taking place somewhere close to now? Yeah, I would fully 100% buy that the world at large has entirely forgotten about the Ghostbusters in the intervening 30 years. It doesn't matter if a significant chunk of the NYC population saw all this crazy shit, that would be a drop in the ocean to world at large and easily swept right under the rug before the internet. It was only the confluence of huge paranormal events that brought the ghost up enough for the Ghostbusters to get them; without another event, the Ghostbusters would've basically vanished and people would've forgotten about the "ghosts".

Plus, the Ghostbusters were a much bigger deal in reality than in their own setting; they were a global movie phenomenon here, but in their fictional NYC they were mostly a local NYC event except for a really brief period.

Ninja Snarl P on
This discussion has been closed.