As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Collector's [CHAT]

19495969798100»

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Kamiro wrote: »
    hmmm

In my first rimworld game I let my animals multiply too freely and now half of my growing production is hay and they still have trouble making it through the winter.

and also everyone is farming all the time and don't have time for other tasks.

sigh

i guess i should slaughter all these dromedaries and muffalo...

:cry:

You can turn it into a holiday!

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    hmmm

In my first rimworld game I let my animals multiply too freely and now half of my growing production is hay and they still have trouble making it through the winter.

sigh

yeahhhh it took me an embarrassingly long time and A LOT of dead lambs before realizing I should have a pen for male animals and another for female animals ;_;

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    hmmm

sigh

yeahhhh it took me an embarrassingly long time and A LOT of dead lambs before realizing I should have a pen for male animals and another for female animals ;_;

oh

this is smart

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    baba is you does have that lovable quality (for me) where i get a sense of elation when i figure out the method. this doesn't happen when i just luck into it (which can happen on a lot of the puzzles, if you're persistent with trial and error)

Hm I think the second part of my problem (other than the being too dumb part) is that there's no story to keep you going and, for me, not much of an internal sense of satisfaction for figuring out. It just all feels like a grind to get through, I guess, which is really not what I'm looking for in a game.

have you tried Thomas Was Alone?

No, but I really don't like games like that. I don't enjoy puzzle games or puzzle platformers or hard platformers, unfortunately

I just ask because it sounded like the kind of game you might prefer over Baba

Puzzles that are not designed to be very hard, cute art and memorable storytelling, imo

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    There are parts of baba is you that hinge on like, order of evaluation or rule priority in a way that's not always communicated well, and you can only divine this thru lots of experiments. those are not my favorite levels. I prefer the cleaner puzzles.

Overall I would not call baba is you lateral thinking. It's extremely procedural, and based on rule evaluation. I feel like I'm good at it because of all my practice with making software, but the parts of my brain lighting up are not really what I use when doing regular everyday stuff. Its more like when I am debugging or abusing some library in a filthy hack to make it do something it wasn't intended to do.

Like once there was a GUI toolkit that had no way to change the window color background. In fact you couldn't restyle the window at all. But I found out that all controls inherit the styling of their parents so I made a text field with a black background and made it the "parent" of the window control, despite having no parent itself to draw it and the window being the root control, and boom, the window background turned black.

That type of dirty garbage is what baba is you feels like.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    What

n8tmuybp9qvk.jpeg

What???

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    oh no, and I somehow have like 30 labrador retrievers.

um, everyone close your eyes and ears

• Options
    There are parts of baba is you that hinge on like, order of evaluation or rule priority in a way that's not always communicated well, and you can only divine this thru lots of experiments. those are not my favorite levels. I prefer the cleaner puzzles.

Overall I would not call baba is you lateral thinking. It's extremely procedural, and based on rule evaluation. I feel like I'm good at it because of all my practice with making software, but the parts of my brain lighting up are not really what I use when doing regular everyday stuff. Its more like when I am debugging or abusing some library in a filthy hack to make it do something it wasn't intended to do.

Like once there was a GUI toolkit that had no way to change the window color background. In fact you couldn't restyle the window at all. But I found out that all controls inherit the styling of their parents so I made a text field with a black background and made it the "parent" of the window control, despite having no parent itself to draw it and the window being the root control, and boom, the window background turned black.

delicious, dirty garbage

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

ugh but I have to do that for work, why do it for a game?
    Doesn't it feel to you like you get enough of that thinking at work and then in a game you want to kill stuff or explore or whatever?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    What

n8tmuybp9qvk.jpeg

What???

My understanding is that meteorologists report chance of rain as the result of Probability x Coverage Area, so I guess if Doug thinks the Probability is 100% then that works out…

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I would like to believe that, like most other things, the lateral thinking required to solve puzzles in Baba is You or similar games is not an inherent quality but a skill that can be honed through practice.

The problem is that unlike other mental disciplines I don't know where to even begin practicing it. I can't imagine that bringing home a stack of those brain teaser books full of tricksy logic and word problems they used to keep around the gifted classroom would meaningfully improve your ability to do other kinds of out-the-box thinking.
    I think it's less about like, figuring out how to view things from a new perspective to get some sudden flash of inspiration, and more about a methodical breakdown of what things do I have? What can I do with them? What do I need to accomplish? And leaving in all the parts of those things that seem stupid or pointless.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/Yf5LX6TGLX0

I've just decided that I refuse to give a shit about the olympics until they include this sport

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    @Casual Eddy

Dan Flashes shirts!!

q5wcyhcdsdt4.png

@atomika lmao THE PATTERNS ARE SO COMPLICATED

the jazz shirt kind of fucks, if only it didn’t say JAZZ on it

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    "Casual Eddy"

Dan Flashes shirts!!

q5wcyhcdsdt4.png

atomika lmao THE PATTERNS ARE SO COMPLICATED

the jazz shirt kind of fucks, if only it didn’t say JAZZ on it

THIS SHIRT COSTS ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS OK IT'S GOT A COMPLECTED PATTERN

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    03d797422c638d2296d476b1d28adeda99-08-cat-fridge.rsquare.w700.jpg

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

ugh but I have to do that for work, why do it for a game?
    Doesn't it feel to you like you get enough of that thinking at work and then in a game you want to kill stuff or explore or whatever?

I rarely get to abuse software like that at work. My job is lots of careful software design and endless meetings. Long gone are the days of chewing gum and string style development.

Plus I liked doing it before my job and I still like figuring out wired stuff like that. And the game is cute and the problems are both designed and curated to ensure they can be solved and they're satisfying to solve.

I like exploration games also. Killing stuff less and less over time.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    @Elki I’m curious, what are some of the things you dislike about Undertale?

• Options
    hmmm

sigh

if you're not raising them for meat, what are you raising them for

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    my problem was mainly that my colonists kept bonding with the damn dogs which made my "have a wave of huskies devour them all" tactics a right pain to organize

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    hmmm

sigh

pack animals

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    hmmm

sigh

sex

• Options
    dammit chu

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was speeding through space at warp 1.2

@Abdhyius will create the new thread
    @Abdhyius is backup

This discussion has been closed.