As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] United in Horror at All of This

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The Legends of Runeterra devs did a 2nd half of 2021 road map today. In it, they discussed how they're expanding their PvE mode. Currently, it's similar to HS PvE stuff where you fight a bunch of bosses with card buckets and/or treasures in between.

With the revamped design, they're leaning more into RPG elements and Slay the Spire mapping to create a bigger experience.

v8yvzm792679.jpg

You'll still be fighting bosses and stuff, but there should be more flexibility and opportunities to spend gold in shops alongside getting cards and leveling up your hero.

Might be a pseudo sneak peak at what the upcoming HS RPG mode will look like. Certainly exciting to see more robust PvE content in primarily PvP focused games.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah based on what little we've seen of Mercenaries I think there'll be some overlap. Slay the Spire really shook up the whole genre in ways we're still feeling.

liEt3nH.png
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »
    Wow, the Hunter quest is straight up Reno Priest. The disparity in power between some of these quests is incredible.

Rogue's is like this really restrictive condition to essentially just get... Spare Parts........???

And then we have fucking Razakus/Reno Priest for Hunter.

I am speechless. Utterly speechless at the power disparity and how god awful some of these are.

edit: Like how many SI:7 cards even exist, like, 5??? One is good (SI:7 Agent), two seem dece (Extortion, Operative), the remaining two are pretty goddamn conditional (Informant, Assassin).

Assassin itself isn't even bad though, like hello Vilespine 2.0! With cost reduction, but, that's the tricky part, very conditional.

The quest itself requires 6 total SI:7 cards played. There's like 5 so that means 10 total in your deck. And sure there's Shadowstep so that's technically 12... But that's still really restrictive for such a meager payoff.
    I just looked at the Gizmos and calling them Spare Parts is definitely underselling them. Spare Parts were 0 mana effects on 1 mana cards. These things are 1 mana cards with 2-2.5 mana value.

There are two other SI:7 cards you missed (Infiltrator and Skulker), possibly because they're neutrals? Infiltrator probably doesn't make the cut since Secret destruction isn't worth playing a meh card -- doesn't seem like the mild synergy with Informant and Assassin is enough. Skulker seems OK, not something you're likely to put in a deck otherwise, but good enough if you're trying to make the Rogue Questline work.

This isn't to say that I necessarily think the Questline will be good, but it's not as grim as you made it seem. Feels like a Tier 3-4 sort of deck that will occasionally highroll into playing a 4 mana 7/7, 8/8 in the mid-game while randoming out the best Gizmos early on and then cleaning up with the full Gizmo payoff a few turns later.

I don't think it's bad, just that it's like.... It seems so lackluster as a payoff for the Questline, considering everything else.

I'm sure it'll add some value to Rogue decks but it's just such a disappointing payoff.
    Now on the other end of the spectrum, the Warrior Questline looks like some dumb fun payoff. It's a classic Hearthstone "buncha random" each turn, and there's not really any interactivity or decision making, but it looks fun to see how it plays out. It's a Questline I'd like to get in a pack so I can try it out without having to invest in crafting it.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Reminder that today is the big walkout, so don't play any Blizzard games today in support of that

I also don't judge anyone if you're currently playing any of their games either, like. I still play Hearthstone regularly cause it's fun and all, but I also don't give them any fucking money. At all. And yknow what I'll survive a day without Hearthstone because fuck ActiBlizz. I sincerely hope they burn for this. I want to see some justice served.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

I wish there was a Super Omega Favorite Prime button I could smash

DNiDlnb.png
    Reminder that today is the big walkout, so don't play any Blizzard games today in support of that

I also don't judge anyone if you're currently playing any of their games either, like. I still play Hearthstone regularly cause it's fun and all, but I also don't give them any fucking money. At all. And yknow what I'll survive a day without Hearthstone because fuck ActiBlizz. I sincerely hope they burn for this. I want to see some justice served.
    Wasn't there some Tweet posted in the WoW thread that the strikers were not asking people to boycott any games in solidarity? Maybe I misinterpreted it.

I mean, if you want to for your own personal reasons, go ahead, but it didn't seem like it was something any of the Blizzard employees were wanting from people.

A new Battlegrounds hero showed up in the patch yesterday:

Galewing

Hero Power:
    Dungar’s Gryphon (0 mana)
    Choose a flightpath. Complete it to get a bonus!

Westfall: In 1 turn, give your left-most minion +2 attack.
    Ironforge: In 3 turns, Discover a minion of your Tavern Tier.
    Eastern Plaguelands: In 5 turns, upgrade your Tavern Tier.

Seems pretty strong to me. Heroes with free powers are rarely bad, unless the power is super conditional, requires awkward play, or if it's just straight up a weak payoff (Malygos). None of that applies here as all of these bonuses are useful for their (opportunity) cost.

I haven't seen him in play yet, but I have to imagine the standard opener is going to be Plaguelands on turn 1, do a typical curve of leveling on turns 2 and 5, getting the free spike to tier 4 on turn 6 (7 gold value). After that it feels like your options are pretty open. You could go a bit risky and hit Plaguelands one more time to get bumped to tier 6 for free on 11 (probably don't if your comp is looking like something that isn't reliant on hitting tier 6 like Mechs or Taunt). Otherwise you probably finish out the game getting a couple free minions from Ironforge. Maybe you do Westfall if it looks like the game is going to be over in a turn or two for that slight bit of short term power. Or maybe the high rank players will surprise me with some unexpected way to play him out, dunno!

Either way it seems like a hero you can't go too wrong with as long as you're not just forgetting to press the hero power button. The Ironforge power is sort of like playing Silas without having to buy subpar minions to finish out a ticket.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Wasn't there some Tweet posted in the WoW thread that the strikers were not asking people to boycott any games in solidarity? Maybe I misinterpreted it.

I mean, if you want to for your own personal reasons, go ahead, but it didn't seem like it was something any of the Blizzard employees were wanting from people.
    The tweet I saw about this was from a games journalist, not directly from a Blizzard employee:
    it's heartening to see so many people want to support the workers at blizzard, but i def want to caution about using language about picket lines, or doing a formalized boycott. it can have repercussions you wouldn't expect. wait to hear from the workers themselves.
    (Gita Jackson is a game journalist who has worked for Kotaku and now works at Motherboard, I guess Waypoint specifically, probably)

EDIT: I don't know if the Blizzard employees said anything directly about it before or since, to be fair.

Delduwath on
    Here's what I was referring to:

The past couple of years have taught me to respect what striking workers define as solidarity with their action, and be wary of anything that gets tacked on by social media.

Anyway, this is what Blizz employees would like as solidarity. Not logging on to a Blizzard game is not on this list, either because it's not viewed as helpful or it's not desired.

I don't play on Wednesdays typically, but it's just a bit of nuance that's being lost.

[image with various organizations they're urging people to donate to]

https://youtu.be/QAgMdFHgb1M

speaking of hearthstone battlegrounds, there's a game out that's pretty decent that's iterating on the concept

liEt3nH.png
    It's like someone mixed together Battlegrounds with a bit of Duels (lol) and the Adventure table in Shadowlands.

Kind of weird that video didn't say anything about how combat works. I'm sure there's another video that does, but it's just odd that it wasn't even briefly mentioned.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Storybook Brawl is free? Ugggh I've been wanting to play Battlegrounds forever, but it was released after I swore off Hearthstone. Wonder how bad the monetization is.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I've been playing Storybook Brawl. It's fairly barebones presentation-wise as you might expect (as a free-to-play early access game), but the fundamentals are good and it's pretty fun. I can see it going to places once they start sprucing it up some.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The Legends of Runeterra devs did a 2nd half of 2021 road map today. In it, they discussed how they're expanding their PvE mode. Currently, it's similar to HS PvE stuff where you fight a bunch of bosses with card buckets and/or treasures in between.

With the revamped design, they're leaning more into RPG elements and Slay the Spire mapping to create a bigger experience.

You'll still be fighting bosses and stuff, but there should be more flexibility and opportunities to spend gold in shops alongside getting cards and leveling up your hero.

Might be a pseudo sneak peak at what the upcoming HS RPG mode will look like. Certainly exciting to see more robust PvE content in primarily PvP focused games.

Once that drops I'll have to reinstall it as I love Slay the Spire.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Once that drops I'll have to reinstall it as I love Slay the Spire.

Well get to installing because that mode dropped yesterday. I'll say it's not 100% StS, but a pretty neat RPG progression style mode that's going to get a lot of updates as the year goes on.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Galewing

Hero Power:

Seems pretty strong to me. Heroes with free powers are rarely bad, unless the power is super conditional, requires awkward play, or if it's just straight up a weak payoff (Malygos). None of that applies here as all of these bonuses are useful for their (opportunity) cost.

I haven't seen him in play yet, but I have to imagine the standard opener is going to be Plaguelands on turn 1, do a typical curve of leveling on turns 2 and 5, getting the free spike to tier 4 on turn 6 (7 gold value). After that it feels like your options are pretty open. You could go a bit risky and hit Plaguelands one more time to get bumped to tier 6 for free on 11 (probably don't if your comp is looking like something that isn't reliant on hitting tier 6 like Mechs or Taunt). Otherwise you probably finish out the game getting a couple free minions from Ironforge. Maybe you do Westfall if it looks like the game is going to be over in a turn or two for that slight bit of short term power. Or maybe the high rank players will surprise me with some unexpected way to play him out, dunno!

Either way it seems like a hero you can't go too wrong with as long as you're not just forgetting to press the hero power button. The Ironforge power is sort of like playing Silas without having to buy subpar minions to finish out a ticket.

I played him like you said, without even thinking about it and it felt very strong.

But just now I was against a Galewing steamrolling the Lobby, and he played Ironforge->Plaguelands, I think. And that might be even better. You either level normally and get a free 2drop on turn 4 (the 6 mana turn) which is reasonably strong for the early game, or you level on turn 3 and can potentially get 3 3drops on turn 4, which is insanely strong if you hit. From then on you just level to 5 on turn 8, which is reasonable and get a free upgrade to tier 6 on turn 9.

I don't think it's in any way sensible to do Plaguelands twice. So if you only do it once anyway, then going for Ironforge first you get more gold value. And on top of that you get an early tempo bump (an additional minion that early is always strong). So I think this is the way to go.

The third option would be to never go for Plaguelands. Then you just get a free minion every 3 turns. I guess that is roughly comparable to Silas, though, and he's not great.

Grobian on
    edited July 2021
    Frodan has quit casting Hearthstone

He's one of the old guard, hopefully this frees up room for new talent

Beasteh on
    I haven't laddered much this month so I'm gonna have to try to make platinum->dad legend today. I hope I can find something to get me there with >50% win rate.

I've watched a few games of that new Quest Hunter and....just wow, was that deck tested at all? Did they learn nothing from Raza Priest?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited August 2021
    Fuck you, Instructor Bullshitheart.

And Lady Bullshitcondra.

Mega fucking slog trying to get there with the supposedly top tier Deathrattle DH. My account is once again flagged for no win streaks.

Edit: Hours later, I finally made it to dad legend with just a couple hours to spare. Got there without a single star of win streak. Ugh. Deathrattle DH can brick so hard if you get a hand that's like N'Zoth, Skull, Inquisitor, which apparently I'm skilled at drawing.

forty on
  • WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Yeah, the higher in ranks the worse the draws for me too.

Grobian wrote: »

Galewing

Hero Power:

I played him like you said, without even thinking about it and it felt very strong.

But just now I was against a Galewing steamrolling the Lobby, and he played Ironforge->Plaguelands, I think. And that might be even better. You either level normally and get a free 2drop on turn 4 (the 6 mana turn) which is reasonably strong for the early game, or you level on turn 3 and can potentially get 3 3drops on turn 4, which is insanely strong if you hit. From then on you just level to 5 on turn 8, which is reasonable and get a free upgrade to tier 6 on turn 9.

I don't think it's in any way sensible to do Plaguelands twice. So if you only do it once anyway, then going for Ironforge first you get more gold value. And on top of that you get an early tempo bump (an additional minion that early is always strong). So I think this is the way to go.

The third option would be to never go for Plaguelands. Then you just get a free minion every 3 turns. I guess that is roughly comparable to Silas, though, and he's not great.

Quoting myself to say: Yeah, Galewing is a good hero.

6qaxzx4rih9r.png

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Frodan has quit casting Hearthstone

He's one of the old guard, hopefully this frees up room for new talent

A bit of a shame, I always thought he was quite good.

Not that I have watched any competitive HS in like… a year.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    All casters ever do is incorrectly criticize plays. That's been true for basically every game I've watched tournaments for except maybe Tastosis.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DotA's had some good casters over the years, I don't follow it much anymore though.

All casters ever do is incorrectly criticize plays. That's been true for basically every game I've watched tournaments for except maybe Tastosis.

Or miss when a player has lethal in hand.

DNiDlnb.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I think Brian Kibler does his research and comes prepared with a thoughtful analysis of decks and strategies. Or, at least this was the case the last time I saw him commentate at a tournament, which was... I-can't-count-that-high years ago.

Galewing

Hero Power:

Quoting myself to say: Yeah, Galewing is a good hero.

6qaxzx4rih9r.png
    Seems pretty strong to me.
    And yeah, that's a good point about the 3-5-3 strategy. I think when I was first assessing him I didn't think you'd be able to get safely to T5 in time for the second power to activate (i.e., level on turn 8) to get the early spike to T6. It does seem a bit risky since you're doing some pretty hard leveling turn 7/8 but the payoff is huge if you can survive.

Now that he's been out for a few days, I see that he's so far Tier 1 on hsreplay and has an awesome placement curve. I wonder if there's going to be a "settled" meta for how to sequence his powers or if that will vary at all.

Delduwath wrote: »
    I think Brian Kibler does his research and comes prepared with a thoughtful analysis of decks and strategies. Or, at least this was the case the last time I saw him commentate at a tournament, which was... I-can't-count-that-high years ago.

He's not covering any Blizzard stuff right now for reasons, and hasn't cast tournaments since Blitzchung

So, like last expansion, the BG perks get taken away but you can't buy the new ones, yet. You can buy the $80 bundle that includes them, though. That has to be deliberate, right?

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/blizzard/23706475/new-leadership-at-blizzard
    To all members of the Blizzard Community,

We want to let you know about an important leadership change at Blizzard Entertainment.

Starting today, J. Allen Brack will be stepping down as the leader of the studio, and Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra will co-lead Blizzard moving forward.

Jen joined Blizzard in January as executive vice president of development, where she’s been providing senior development leadership and support to the Diablo and Overwatch franchises. Jen is the former head of Vicarious Visions (which is now part of Blizzard Entertainment).

After many years at XBOX, Mike joined the company in 2019 as the executive vice president and general manager of platform and technology, where he’s been overseeing the evolution of Battle.net and our development services organization.

Jen and Mike have more than three decades of gaming industry experience between them. Moving forward, they will share responsibilities over game development and company operations.

Both leaders are deeply committed to all of our employees; to the work ahead to ensure Blizzard is the safest, most welcoming workplace possible for women, and people of any gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or background; to upholding and reinforcing our values; and to rebuilding your trust. With their many years of industry experience and deep commitment to integrity and inclusivity, Jen and Mike will lead Blizzard with care, compassion, and a dedication to excellence. You’ll hear more from Jen and Mike soon.

The following is a message from J. Allen Brack:

“I am confident that Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra will provide the leadership Blizzard needs to realize its full potential and will accelerate the pace of change. I anticipate they will do so with passion and enthusiasm and that they can be trusted to lead with the highest levels of integrity and commitment to the components of our culture that make Blizzard so special.”

Finally, thank you all for being a part of the Blizzard community, and for your passion and determination for safety and equality for all.

liEt3nH.png
    So, like last expansion, the BG perks get taken away but you can't buy the new ones, yet. You can buy the $80 bundle that includes them, though. That has to be deliberate, right?

I mean it's like a 24 hour period tops

liEt3nH.png

We want to let you know about an important leadership change at Blizzard Entertainment.

Starting today, J. Allen Brack will be stepping down as the leader of the studio, and Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra will co-lead Blizzard moving forward.

Jen joined Blizzard in January as executive vice president of development, where she’s been providing senior development leadership and support to the Diablo and Overwatch franchises. Jen is the former head of Vicarious Visions (which is now part of Blizzard Entertainment).

After many years at XBOX, Mike joined the company in 2019 as the executive vice president and general manager of platform and technology, where he’s been overseeing the evolution of Battle.net and our development services organization.

Jen and Mike have more than three decades of gaming industry experience between them. Moving forward, they will share responsibilities over game development and company operations.

Both leaders are deeply committed to all of our employees; to the work ahead to ensure Blizzard is the safest, most welcoming workplace possible for women, and people of any gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or background; to upholding and reinforcing our values; and to rebuilding your trust. With their many years of industry experience and deep commitment to integrity and inclusivity, Jen and Mike will lead Blizzard with care, compassion, and a dedication to excellence. You’ll hear more from Jen and Mike soon.

“I am confident that Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra will provide the leadership Blizzard needs to realize its full potential and will accelerate the pace of change. I anticipate they will do so with passion and enthusiasm and that they can be trusted to lead with the highest levels of integrity and commitment to the components of our culture that make Blizzard so special.”

Finally, thank you all for being a part of the Blizzard community, and for your passion and determination for safety and equality for all.

Ah yes The Designated Fall Man to take the blame, they'll pat themselves on the back and say well done lads well done, and hope that's enough to appease everyone and hope that people lose interest and forget about it.

I really hope people don't lose interest and move on and forget about it.

DNiDlnb.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I think that’s a little unfair. There can be multiple lines of play in any given turn, and decision-making in card games isn’t always binary (right/wrong).

Where I think casters mess up is that they can forget that they have way more knowledge then the players themselves. They can identify the “best” plays because they see both players’ hands.

But again maybe it’s all shit now, I haven’t watched in ages.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    At least they have a woman leading the studio, now (co-leading). That's not nothing.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Ah yes The Designated Fall Man to take the blame, they'll pat themselves on the back and say well done lads well done, and hope that's enough to appease everyone and hope that people lose interest and forget about it.

I'm surprised that much even happened.... but let's see his severance package before counting that as anything.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited August 2021
    kime wrote: »

I'm surprised that much even happened.... but let's see his severance package before counting that as anything.

They don't have Afrasiabi anymore so they had to pin the blame on someone

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    kime wrote: »

They don't have Afrasiabi anymore so they had to pin the blame on someone

JAB is explicitly named in the lawsuit and by many folks as willingly enabling the abuse.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    ugh y'all still play this slot machine?

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra