As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying retro console hardware/software

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    If nothing else, check on it to see if the battery has exploded (and dispose of said battery if it has)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    If nothing else, check on it to see if the battery has exploded (and dispose of said battery if it has)

Good point... At least you can open it up and remove the battery.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    All this talk about PSP is making me want to pull mine out of storage and see how well it still works. I loved that thing and remember taking it with me on a camping trip so we could watch movies before bed. Ahh memories... I didn't realize that you can rip the UMDs (I shouldn't be surprised). Wonder what games I still have for it. I even have movies that I bought for cheap as well.

Yep, CFW of course, but super easy to do now.

I probably played more of the DS back then, which I also love, but the psp was just a different experience. At the time, it was super close to an actual home console experience. So many good games too. RPGs are great on the system, but something else that always stood out to me was how awesome arcade racers were on the psp.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    One of the stores near me still has a new, shrink-wrapped video UMD of Ren and Stimpy. I know I don't need it, but every time I go in I come closer to buying it.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    One of the stores near me still has a new, shrink-wrapped video UMD of Ren and Stimpy. I know I don't need it, but every time I go in I come closer to buying it.

No one reading this thread *needs* anything in this thread. It isn't about need. It's about making our spouses/significant others roll their eyes just a little harder every time we buy another
    thing"

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    wunderbar wrote: »

No one reading this thread *needs* anything in this thread. It isn't about need. It's about making our spouses/significant others roll their eyes just a little harder every time we buy another
    thing
    "

Let me tell you about my He-Man Origins collection...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »

Good point... At least you can open it up and remove the battery.

I recently bought a new PSP battery on eBay. It works pretty well. PSP's charge tends to run out fairly fast.

I think it is a Chinese knockoff, but it seems to be made pretty well.

Krathoon on
  • Options

thing
    "

Let me tell you about my He-Man Origins collection...

I have a bunch of old computer stuff. my Complete in Box copy of IBM PC-DOS 2.1 on 5.25 inch floppy discs including the manual for every single dos command that existed at that time is one of my prized posessions.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

thing"
    e78jj77e5gtf.jpg

I just spent too much money on one of these store display neons

Wife did a flip her eyes rolled so hard

(She was actually very supportive, I like the mental image of her flipping, though)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Curious what collections or systems you guys are focusing on currently? I've been on a DS kick lately, and prices don't seem too bad for most of them. I was also looking at some 360 and PS3 titles, although PS3 games were a little crazy there for awhile with the news of the store closing, even though it ended up not.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Currently I'm in handheld mode - PSP, DS, and GBA. I also picked up the stuff to mod my PSP1000 a little once I have free time to do so. However, I'm also the transportation for a teenager with a massive retro gaming bug at the moment, so pretty much everything 16 bit and older is fair game.

Edit: 64 bit and older, we're buying an N64 next week I've been told :)

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    I hate to double post but I wanted to show this off. I have a PSP 1000 I'm planning on modding a bit. I bought it an IPS screen and new shell and buttons. Truthfully the back part of the new shell scares me a bit after watching YouTube so it may only get the new screen and front plate.

However, I also ordered this which didn't need complex installations and I love it. It's basically a Vita analog stick for the 1000. I bought white to match the shell I hope to eventually use, but it's super comfortable in the meantime.

xvc05rl0zaoj.jpg

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    If I hook up my gamecube (only have the VGA cables) are the converters always going to be powered or are there non-powered VGA to HDMI adapters?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      If I hook up my gamecube (only have the VGA cables) are the converters always going to be powered or are there non-powered VGA to HDMI adapters?

Pretty sure they're all powered, two of the HDMI pins are for power and ground.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Options
      Guess who's driving two hours each way to pick up an N64 off Facebook Marketplace today? Unfortunately my son can't go with me to really give this thing the once over, any things to look for?

There are some games in the bundle that would never be repros so I'm hoping to just side by side compare the Nintendo logos on the back of the cartridges to make sure the bigger titles aren't fake.

• Options
      ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      Off the top of my head, make sure there's either an expansion pack or jumper pack in the system itself. Check the controllers for a stiff stick, if it doesn't return to center it was used for too much Mario Party.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    • Options
      TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
      If it is has DK64 in the bundle, they should pay you for dumping their garbage.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    • Options
      I think we did well. We got the black console, Atomic Purple controller, 3rd party controller, expansion pack, jumper pack, memory card, rumble pack, Mario 64, Knockout Kings 2000, Midway Arcade, Shadows of the Empire, Wave Race, Pokemon Stadium 2, two copies of Pokemon Snap, Hey You Pikachu, and Turok. Two hundred bucks (and a four hour roundtrip).

• Options
      Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
      Cross posting here as it's relevant here also:

So this year is my 20th anniversary. My son found out that there were two Ratchet games I've never played because I never owned a PSP (Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank). So as an anniversary gift yesterday, he surprised me with a PSP and the two Ratchet games I was missing. My kid is the best. :D

So today I have been spending half the day downloading my PS1 games from the PS3 to the PSP so I can also have a portable PS1. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
      Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
      PSN - Brainiac_8
      Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
      Add me!
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »

So this year is my 20th anniversary. My son found out that there were two Ratchet games I've never played because I never owned a PSP (Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank). So as an anniversary gift yesterday, he surprised me with a PSP and the two Ratchet games I was missing. My kid is the best. :D

So today I have been spending half the day downloading my PS1 games from the PS3 to the PSP so I can also have a portable PS1. :D

That's awesome, congrats!

Also, you're old
      We're probably the same age - we're old

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        TimFiji wrote: »

That's awesome, congrats!

Also, you're old
        We're probably the same age - we're old

Yep, most days now I'm starting to feel my age. :(

I have been married 20 years and have an 18 year old daughter. Definitely feeling my age. :cry:

PSN - Brainiac_8
        Add me!
      • Options
        EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
        just check your psp's battery to make sure it isnt bloated!

• Options

I.... I hope your wife either also likes the PSP or got her own thing. :rotate:

• Options
        We do a whole gift exchange thing with the kids for our anniversaries, so he got something for everyone. :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
        Add me!
      • Options
        edited August 2021

Nice! I love the PSP. I have those two games as well, but never played them. I should change that. I think I got them in one of those 2 game bundles you used to get with the PSP games.

If you like those and haven't played it yet, you really should pick up Daxter as well. Probably one of my favorite platformers ever.

anoffday on
      • Options
        Thanks for the suggestion.

I ordered Mega Man Powered UP and Mega Man X Maverick Hunter yesterday, and will be grabbing Me and My Katamari today. Definitely will check out Daxter as I love the J&D games.

PSN - Brainiac_8
        Add me!
      • Options
        Had some good luck at the flea today. We got Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart 64 for reasonable prices. We then hit a local game shop and picked up Mortal Kombat 2 on the Snes. Now he just needs UMK3 and he'll have the set.

• Options
        That's cool. It's been years since I've gone to the Flea Market to look at games since in most cases, they just try to sell them at ebay prices. It's rare to find crazy good deals like the old days.

PSN - Brainiac_8
        Add me!
      • Options
        JazzJazz Registered User regular
        I wonder what "reasonable prices" means for those games these days...

• Options
        Jazz wrote: »
        I wonder what "reasonable prices" means for those games these days...

We paid $35 for each of the N64 games and $15 for MK2. I'd say we paid about market value on Mario Kart and maybe got Zelda a bit below online prices.

• Options
        JazzJazz Registered User regular
        They've definitely gone up since my retail days, but that's definitely not too extortionate!

• Options
        Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
        New custom GBA SP, this time it's a zeldor edition
        b4zbqz9q92vl.jpg
        dsc8wepghoxb.jpg
        8l7rwy3r9nq3.jpg

• Options
        Nice. The blue and gold together look awesome.

• Options
        I asked this in the PS5 thread and didn't get a single answer. Not sure if anyone would know, but I am in need of another PS3 controller. I bought one off eBay that swore it was oem, but in reality it was a cheap knockoff passed as oem.

It doesn't have to be from Sony directly as a good third party option would be welcome also.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

PSN - Brainiac_8
        Add me!
      • Options
        Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
        edited August 2021
        I recommend Mercari (or even ebay), both are pretty good about returns if you get a fake item. Just be ready to take pics and send the item back, but I doubt anyone would try to rip you off on those sites and actually get away with it

Lmao missed the part where you said ebay in the post. But yeah I see some for around 15-25 bucks on mercari that look legit

Local H Jay on
      • Options
        edited August 2021
        I asked this in the PS5 thread and didn't get a single answer. Not sure if anyone would know, but I am in need of another PS3 controller. I bought one off eBay that swore it was oem, but in reality it was a cheap knockoff passed as oem.

It doesn't have to be from Sony directly as a good third party option would be welcome also.

I went with a brand called voyee on amazon. It had good reviews and was pretty cheap so I gave it a shot and it works pretty well.

edit: Looks like it's on sale for 10 bucks right now. I might actually grab another one at that price.

anoffday on
      • Options
        Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
        edited August 2021
        Analogue has the Super Nt, Mega Sg, and DAC (digital to analog converter) in stock on their store right now. I haven't tried the Sg nor do I have a reason to own a DAC but I can't recommend the Super Nt hard enough. It truly is an amazing product refined on a level that you would expect from heavy hitters like Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony. I've had mine for a few months now and I honest to goodness spend more time with it than I do with my PS5 or Switch.

https://store.analogue.co/

I'm surprised they are still in stock, as of this posting at least. These things usually sell out within minutes.

Edit: for those who are new to this they are consoles that use FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) chips to emulate the hardware of retro consoles, in this case the Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis. The benefits are that you get an experience that is super-accurate to the original console (with a clean native digital signal as opposed to an analog one being converted to digital) , as well as the ability to use with the system most accessories and cartridges designed for the original console (mario paint mouse, Super Game Boy, both NTSC and PAL games, SNES and SFC cartridges etc). It's not exactly a 1:1 replication of the experience, but it gets closer than most anything else and is certainly close enough for the average gamer. Also you can do a bunch of other nifty extra things like back up cartridges and save files, and play .SPC (snes game soundtrack) files using a special player.

Handsome Costanza on
        Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
        Resident 8bitdo expert.
        Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
      • Options
        What's the story with them including super turrican 1 and 2? Seems random.

• Options
        Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
        edited August 2021
        anoffday wrote: »
        What's the story with them including super turrican 1 and 2? Seems random.

From the Super Nt splash page:
        What if one of the greatest run'n'gun games of all time was never released in its original developed form? In 1993, Factor 5 finished developing the complete Super Turrican for SNES, a 6Mbit title. Unfortunately the game had to be cut down by 33% to 4Mbits. 24 Years later, Super Turrican: Directors Cut is here - on the Super Nt. We're thrilled to preserve this piece of Super Nintendo history and include Super Turrican - Directors Cut digitally on each system. As a bonus, we've also included the original Super Turrican 2.

Edit: the Mega Sg also has some kind of unreleased game on it.

Handsome Costanza on
        Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
        Resident 8bitdo expert.
        Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
      • Options
        anoffday wrote: »

I went with a brand called voyee on amazon. It had good reviews and was pretty cheap so I gave it a shot and it works pretty well.

edit: Looks like it's on sale for 10 bucks right now. I might actually grab another one at that price.

I'll check this out. Thanks for the suggestion!

PSN - Brainiac_8
        Add me!