As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] Another Big Sale to see out this thread!

• M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Ok, so now MFS is updating, another 27gb. It decided to wait for me to get home before updating, which is nice.

I’m off for a nap - then off to the skies !

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Today I learned that Microsoft Flight Simulator is older than I am (first game came out in 1982)

Undead Scottsman on
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    It’s Two years younger than I am, or thereabouts.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    There are people in this thread who weren't alive at the start of the civil flight simulation genre implosion. It was a really big deal in the pre-3D and early 3D accelerator days.

Synthesis on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Samurai Warriors 5 feels almost exactly as if it were a sequel to Samurai Warriors 2, lol... not a dig, it's just wow. I do not feel like I missed anything having not played a decade worth of these games. xD

Nobonaga 2.0 is an interesting look too. A lot of the cast was redesigned, but him without his staple Van Dyke is... strange.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I'm curious if there's a way to just skip the takeoff on custom flights? I just want to start in the air near the places I'm interested in.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    That reminds me it's been more than a year since I played Warriors Orochi 3.

(I mostly got into it for the Ninja Gaiden cameos.)

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I'm curious if there's a way to just skip the takeoff on custom flights? I just want to start in the air near the places I'm interested in.

I can’t remember exactly how but when I played it on pc you could just spawn in the air near landmarks and such, not sure if that’s what you’re referring to or how to do it on custom flights if that’s different

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    ohhh yes....oh yess

Invite to Infinite flight this weekend...oh yes

Dixon on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

If you select a landmark on the map, and hit ‘ready to fly’ you spawn in the air.

I got to have a little fly around earlier, and downloaded all the free world updated - another 30 gb or so in total (they’re available in the store).

Just tried again, and if got stuck searching for updates.

I’ll try again tomorrow.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Samurai Warriors 5 feels almost exactly as if it were a sequel to Samurai Warriors 2, lol... not a dig, it's just wow. I do not feel like I missed anything having not played a decade worth of these games. xD

Part of that's going to be not really remembering the details of Samurai Warriors 2, right? There have actually been some fairly significant changes in the way the series plays over that span, like Hyper Attacks.

cckerberos.png
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Awesome, thanks for that. Was trying to show my son a couple local towns and I stalled put and crashed on takeoff the 2nd time.

Much nicer to just start in the sky for the sightseeing

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    edited July 2021
    Hmm interesting that they hide the world updates away in the in game catalogue. Definitely downloading them all, even tho they’re like 6-10 gig each. I hope they have balanced them properly for the console version, cos the extra detail in the cities especially i imagine would make the FPS chug

Going to start it up now, if it’s a stable 30fps that will blow my mind cos my fairly powerful computer could manage maybe 40-50 fps on a much lower resolution

Man the content manager is kind of nuts, it’s like a pc feature

Edit: ok all up the five world updates add an extra 25 gig to the download if you want them. Which I do, cos I want all of it, glutton style

Prohass on
    edited July 2021
    Ok impressions so far contrasting with the pc version it’s definitely not as high visual quality in terms of settings, but it’s so much more stable and smoother and there’s a definite cohesiveness to the overall presentation. They’ve chosen a good mix that emphasises like weather and cloud effects over raw high res textures which I think is a good idea. Still fucking stunning. Something like this existing on a console is insane. I’m running it on a 4K 65 inch tv and when I think about that it’s fundamentally insane that you’re essentially getting largely ultra settings here in many areas. My god

Also so much better to control on a controller but that’s just my personal bias against keyboard and mouse

Also I forgot about how glorious the music is, I actually paused my podcast to listen to it

Prohass on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    If we're talking flight sim I'm pretty sure this is the only acceptable way to control it

Set-Up-Flight-Simulator-Cover-800x400.jpg.webp

But seriously if you can find any kind of HOTAS it's a big difference (and does Xbox support some now?). My thumb got very tired holding constant positions on controller sticks slightly off center. But you kind of have to get into the game to be worth it I imagine.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    There are people in this thread who weren't alive at the start of the civil flight simulation genre implosion. It was a really big deal in the pre-3D and early 3D accelerator days.
    Yeah, it came out about a year before I was born. I think in about '89 I got MFS 2.0 in a car-boot sale but didn't have a PC powerful enough to play it on, so I just read through the manual, which weighed about the same as I did. :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    cckerberos wrote: »

Part of that's going to be not really remembering the details of Samurai Warriors 2, right? There have actually been some fairly significant changes in the way the series plays over that span, like Hyper Attacks.

So far, other than the graphical refresh and retelling of the Sengoku era, there's nothing really that comes to mind that distinguishes this game mechanically from any of the other Warriors games that didn't risk deviating from the formula too much. Maybe that will change, but I doubt it. It feels very safe.

Zilla360 wrote: »
    Yeah, it came out about a year before I was born. I think in about '89 I got MFS 2.0 in a car-boot sale but didn't have a PC powerful enough to play it on, so I just read through the manual, which weighed about the same as I did. :)

Early on there was a lot of pc stuff that was insane and powerful for the time but not really a part of gaming, like random industries would have programs that could do insane stuff but it was never going to be available for a home pc

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

Hmm. Interplay is being resurrected? Maybe? Not a verified account so who knows if this is real or not.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited July 2021
    Haha right now New York is glitched and has like trees on all its streets covering everything so it looks like some sort of post apocalypse where nature has reclaimed the city. Overall New York and the main cities have some lower glitching textures I hope they fix, but it’s literally the day of so I’m not judging too harshly. Also switching the camera suddenly to different landmarks in new York kills the fps but just flying around normally is decent

Prohass on
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Hmm. Interplay is being resurrected? Maybe? Not a verified account so who knows if this is real or not.

This tweet is from an account that no longer exists! some poor gen zzzz was all "I got a great name for my infleuncer farm, Interplay Entertainment"

then... it happened.

edited July 2021
    Yeah there’s something definitely wrong with the textures and trees in New York for me, but hopefully fixed soon

Ok some areas are very glitchy. I checked out Naples and the frame rate is like 5 frames per second, ie broken. Even though New York the frame rate was a stable 30fps. Definitely some first day jitters I’m guessing

Ok restarted the flight and it fixed it

Overall the cities are rougher than the pc but smoother fps, the main issue is stuff can take a while to load in, so while it eventually looks decent, Paris for instance often looks like rubble for several seconds as it loads buildings in. In some cities it’s better tho, Tokyo seems to load really well, so I think it’s just first day roughness and I’m hoping they’ll be able to improve on it

Prohass on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    check your emails if you're signed up for Halo Insider, they're sending out invites for the Halo Infinite technical preview, happening this weekend 29th-1st

edited July 2021
    Number one thing I recommend is starting in Tokyo and flying to mt fuji, my god, the sense of scale and place is just surreal. The activity settings for it also set it at the most gorgeous time of day

Prohass on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2021
    So, I've played through all of Psychonauts over the past couple of weeks, and finished it tonight. I stopped halfway through back in 2006 for various reasons, despite enjoying it. It's a really funny game, that style of humor holds up a lot better than what was happening in most video games just a few years later. And I forgot much of it was voiced and how generous the hints system is, if you're ever stuck you just call Cruller and he has a good suggestion on what you need to do to advance. The ending difficulty spike is kinda bullshit, but I got over it.

Also, in the end they attempt to set up the sequel - which is now here 15 years later. I’m gonna go into 2 while ignoring all trailers and media about it, but I wonder if it’ll directly follow that setup or do something different. Really looking forward to that sequel now.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    check your emails if you're signed up for Halo Insider, they're sending out invites for the Halo Infinite technical preview, happening this weekend 29th-1st

I think it's also a toggle you can enable on Waypoint, so you can get in next wave sign up here
    https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/halo-insider

Local H Jay on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    So, I've played through all of Psychonauts over the past couple of weeks, and finished it tonight. I stopped halfway through back in 2006 for various reasons, despite enjoying it. It's a really funny game, that style of humor holds up a lot better than what was happening in most video games just a few years later. And I forgot much of it was voiced and how generous the hints system is, if you're ever stuck you just call Cruller and he has a good suggestion on what you need to do to advance. The ending difficulty spike is kinda bullshit, but I got over it.

Also, in the end they attempt to set up the sequel - which is now here 15 years later. I’m gonna go into 2 while ignoring all trailers and media about it, but I wonder if it’ll directly follow that setup or do something different. Really looking forward to that sequel now.

If you have VR on the PS4 or PC, there's s game that takes place between Psychonauts 1 and 2, called Rhombus of Ruin.

A lot of people don’t know this but the Yosemite Dome Rock actually hovers a hundred feet off the mountain below, it’s one of the only rocks to do this and it’s because of wizards

3hbr88028nct.jpeg

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    If we're talking flight sim I'm pretty sure this is the only acceptable way to control it

Set-Up-Flight-Simulator-Cover-800x400.jpg.webp

But seriously if you can find any kind of HOTAS it's a big difference (and does Xbox support some now?). My thumb got very tired holding constant positions on controller sticks slightly off center. But you kind of have to get into the game to be worth it I imagine.

2ngwfwys8i4b.jpg

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Flight Simulator had a beefy day one patch so I didn't get a chance to try it last night. If only auto-updating actually worked consistently. I'm looking forward to checking it out tonight.

I tried the PC version on my non-gaming laptop way back and that wasn't happening.

It is absolutely not a game to be taken lightly, though I was able to run it at 2160p on my six-year-old i5 and GTX 1080 Ti. Resolution didn't really matter, the framerate wasn't great either way.

I've just played the first training course ("This is how you look around your plane with a gamepad,") and it looks great on the ground so far. Since I got my Quest 2 set up, I've spent more time in VR than in normal gameplay, which inevitably results in a softer, muddier picture than an ultra-sharp 2160p presentation, even if it is very immersive (the whole thing comes off as being a pilot with severe astigmatism wearing goggles); Xbox Series X looks better than that, to be sure, though not as good as my RTX 3080.

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    GwG for August have been announced and it looks like a pretty decent month.

Darksiders 3 and Yooka-Laylee on Xbox One, and Lost Planet 3 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves on 360.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Lost Planet 3 is kind of interesting if you get to play it for free (I spent like... $5-10 on it). NOTHING like the other 2 in the series. Darksiders 3 I can recommend to series fans so long as you drop the difficulty and play on the "classic" combat settings and not the "we are very bad at copying Dark Souls" setting. The best news about this list is that it's doing what I wanted, adding games removed from Game pass to GWG. Outer Wilds and Journey to the Savage Planet next, PLEASE.

edited July 2021
    Maybe... I'll check out a Darksiders game? :O

Lost Planet 3 was neat, got a bad break* though.

edit: where bad break was Dead Space 3 existing/releasing before it and also having an icy environment.

tastydonuts on
    Nice, Garou: Mark of the Wolves. A very fun 2D fighter from the 16-bit era (very late in it, anyway), with SNK's associated high level of polish and replayability.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Nice, Garou: Mark of the Wolves. A very fun 2D fighter from the 16-bit era (very late in it, anyway), with SNK's associated high level of polish and replayability.

My roommate loves this game, plays it all the time

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    As usual, I think no-one mentioned that there's a summer sale going on, because as usual, it blends into the background radiation of the weekly sales.

Summer Sale going on until 5 August, with 700 items--so there's probably something out there worth picking up (like Hitman if you don't already have it).

I nabbed Castlevania Anniversary Collection immediately after seeing it was on sale.

I did the same with Contra Anniversary. Shame all that comes out of Konami anymore are gambling devices. I want to shove a pachinko machine up they're executive board's collective ass.

Already had Contra from a previous sale (which oddly did not include Castlevania), or else I'd have pounced on that, too!

Konami is making something new, GetsuFumaDen, I think, but it's only on PC and Switch. I think it's currently in early access on Steam.

Given how they don't seem to be selling more TurboGrafx minis and I never got one, I'd love to at least get a Bonk/Air Zonk collection. An Adventure Island collection would be nice, too.
    Prohass wrote: »
    Haha right now New York is glitched and has like trees on all its streets covering everything so it looks like some sort of post apocalypse where nature has reclaimed the city. Overall New York and the main cities have some lower glitching textures I hope they fix, but it’s literally the day of so I’m not judging too harshly. Also switching the camera suddenly to different landmarks in new York kills the fps but just flying around normally is decent

...and you didn't screencap any of it? =O
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    GwG for August have been announced and it looks like a pretty decent month.

Darksiders 3 and Yooka-Laylee on Xbox One, and Lost Planet 3 and Garou: Mark of the Wolves on 360.

Oh man, I already have Yooka and Garou...

Anyway, got this going on tomorrow, if anyone wants to check it out:

I tried to make sure I got the Day One patch ready to go, but I couldn't find any updates when I went to look. Seems like the game plays, so fingers crossed it goes off without a hitch come showtime!

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Given how they don't seem to be selling more TurboGrafx minis and I never got one, I'd love to at least get a Bonk/Air Zonk collection. An Adventure Island collection would be nice, too.

Amazon UK still has PC Engine CoreGrafx Minis, much cheaper than the absurdly-priced remaining TG-16 Minis at Amazon US if you can stomach the shipping (or if indeed they will ship them, of course): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Konami-PC-Engine-CoreGrafx-Mini/dp/B07SLM7N9J/ref=sr_1_3

Everything on them is the same, the outer shell and the color of the controller is the only difference.

Jazz on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    For those of us looking forward to it The Ascent should unlock at 10 am Pacific tomorrow (Thursday).

But yeah, it's definitely a focused pastiche of the safer elements from prior musou games in general, but it's nice.

also Hideyoshi got a nice design upgrade but Yoshimoto had biggest glow-up on a char I've seen in a while. Like...
    03qwwix5lhgc.png

That's an older model as I couldn't find a flat background version of his WO4 appearance (his design looks more like armor and eccentric noble in that one, but he's still soft.) But yeah. o_o