As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
edited July 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
Welcome to the new MCU Films thread!

5zw5bi2csvyd.jpg

This thread is CLOSED SPOILERS for current MCU films (Black Widow as of this post)

Phase 4 Movies
The latest from Marvel releasing soon
e57kawrot7s7.jpg

Black Widow
t6804n8zmiy0.jpg
Starring ScarJo, FloPu, David Harbour and Rachel Weisz, this story set after the events of Civil War introduces us to the Widow family.. and more nefarious forces in the shadows. Available now in theaters or on D+.
https://youtu.be/Fp9pNPdNwjI

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
etaancv4yvm4.jpg
Starring Simu Liu, Awkwafina and Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, this film is about the Real Mandarin (maybe) and his son as they clash for possession of the Ten Rings. Coming Sept 3rd to theaters.
https://youtu.be/8YjFbMbfXaQ

The Eternals
yl5qsu66bdz3.jpg
Starring uh... Too many people to list! This ensemble cast tells the story of one of Jack Kirby's most iconic cast of characters consisting of new (old) gods. Hitting theaters November 5th.
https://youtu.be/x_me3xsvDgk

Spider-Man: No Way Home
hjg447iqxtes.jpg
Starring Tom Holland, Zendaya, Jacob Batalon and More? This film features Peter Parker experiencing the fallout from his identity reveal from Far From Home. Technically, the last film (for now) with Tom's current contract with Sony and Marvel. Coming this Christmas
https://youtu.be/t68pbXkAICA

Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
f7xmew4i3u66.png
Starring Benedict Cumberbatch and REDACTED, this romp across the vast multiverse may require you to watch some Disney Plus series to catch up. Coming March 25, 2022.

Thor: Love and Thunder
x9mnd1dosnu8.png

Starring Natalie Portman, Chris Hemsworth, and other familiar faces, this film promises to blow fans away (and maybe cause a few angry Reddit posts along the way). Hitting May 6th, 2022.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
zkab4472ubtv.png

Starring Lupita Nyong'O, Danai Gurira, and Martin Freeman, this story continues the saga of the great kingdom of Wakanda after the events of Infinity War. Hits July 8th, 2022.

The Marvels
faf6ijxah1oo.jpg
Starring Brie Larson, Teyonah Parris, and Iman Vellani, this is the sequel to Captain Marvel and the Ms. Marvel series on D+. Coming November 11th, 2022.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
8mbde71rx686.jpg
Starring Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly and Jonathan Majors. This film is yet another mind bending journey across spacetime and the microverse. Maybe watch some Disney+ shows first...

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3
3vwhle12u5ko.png

James Gunn triumphant return to the MCU, starring all the familiar faces plus maybe a Thor or two. Also, we got a Christmas special coming before the movie to D+.

Fantastic Four
4tj4lvrhvoby.png

Marvel's first family comes home. Very little is known other than Spidey director Jon Watts attached to direct.

Legacy Films
The Infinity Saga

Phase One

Iron Man (2008)

The Incredible Hulk (2008)

Iron Man 2 (2010)

Thor (2011)

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Marvel’s The Avengers (2012)

Phase Two

Iron Man 3 (2013)

Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Ant-Man (2015)

Phase Three

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

Doctor Strange (2016)

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Black Panther (2018)

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

Captain Marvel (2019)

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Bogart on

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Lmao I'm as confused as you are

I think that may be the *ahem* 'parody' film that inevitably follows on from anything successful. I would advise against googling the title to make sure if you're at work.

Ok all sexy titles REDACTED but I'm wondering if Blade is officially Phase 5 now or what

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    It'd make sense for it to open Phase 5.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Black Widow! A lot!

Which is neat because I've mostly hated the MCU since Infinity War

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Hmmm what movies would I want in Phase 5 . . . 🤔

- Blade
    - Adam
    - Howard the Duck
    - Young Avengers
    - something with Wanda & Vision
    - ROM:Spaceknight
    - Deadpool

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they develop flash thompson so we can eventually get agent venom.

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    I'm hoping they develop flash thompson so we can eventually get agent venom.

I would think the current Flash doesn't fit the Agent Venom thing. He doesn't seem all military rah rah!
    But I hope the actor comes back many more times, I've liked that take on Flash.

Atomika wrote: »
    Hmmm what movies would I want in Phase 5 . . . 🤔

- Blade
    - Adam
    - Howard the Duck
    - Young Avengers
    - something with Wanda & Vision
    - ROM:Spaceknight
    - Deadpool
    I wouldn't be interested in solo films from Adam Warlock nor Howard the Duck, but you could put them together for a buddy comedy thing. Maybe introduce ROM there as the "competent" cameo character

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I enjoyed Black Widow! A lot!

Which is neat because I've mostly hated the MCU since Infinity War

Well, that makes sense, since Black Widow takes place before Infinity War.

Phase 5 will definitely have all the requisite pieces required for a NEXTWave movie and I am here for it

Gimme them evil koalas

edited July 2021
    Spoiler filled Shang Chi stuff ahoy

Hell even the damn thumbnail looks spoilery

Local H Jay on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ROM: Spaceknight is owned by Hasbro, so I wouldn't expect him in the MCU anytime soon, or ever, unless Disney decides they need to own a toy manufacturer.

The Marvel Release Schedule pic in the OP needs a *not actually coming out on these dates* disclaimer

I got really confused thinking Shang Chi might already be out

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Also, didn't Captain Marvel 2 get changed to "The Marvels"?

edited July 2021
    It was one of the best ones I could find with everything, but I'll probably just make my own once I get home or something

Edit: here's a decent one actually, should have correct dates

Local H Jay on
    Spoiler filled Shang Chi stuff ahoy

Hell even the damn thumbnail looks spoilery

I'm really not sure Marvel knows what they are doing with this movie. It looks good and I will be there day 1, but I can't imagine it's generating too much buzz based on the marketing and trailers.

ROM: Spaceknight is owned by Hasbro, so I wouldn't expect him in the MCU anytime soon, or ever, unless Disney decides they need to own a toy manufacturer.

The same Hasbro that has an exclusive marketing agreement with Marvel and Disney for the next decade?

edited July 2021
    Atomika wrote: »

The same Hasbro that has an exclusive marketing agreement with Marvel and Disney for the next decade?

More like the same Hasbro whose toy division is facing heavier and heavier challenges in the modern economy and are desperately trying to pivot to media, and are trying to launch their own "hasbro-verse" of movies, including ROM.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/rom-spaceknight-movie-set-with-ready-player-one-writer-zak-penn/

Undead Scottsman on
    I just thought of something.

In Civil War when Vision and Tony are talking about how he somehow acciedently hit Rhodey.. was that the only direct conversation Stark and Vision have in the entire franchise? Vision makes a snide comment about Ultron hating Tony in AoU, and the larger Sokovia Accords discussion in Civil War, but as far as the two characters having a back and forth, I think that's it?

And that's kind of wild given Tony helped created Vision. Really could have used a Vision Disney+ show filling us in on his early days.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    This is like Frodo only having one conversation with Legolas in 3 movies.

Mancingtom wrote: »

At least they don't have a history together. Imagine if Frodo was Legolas' adopted son or something.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I just googled it. This whole time I was thinking parts of Black Widow took place in Latveria, not Latvia. My brain must have been broken when watching it.

That_Guy on
    Mancingtom wrote: »

At least they don't have a history together. Imagine if Frodo was Legolas' adopted son or something.

Oh, you didn't hear about the added scenes for the extra mega extended editions of The Hobbit?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That Shang Chi outfit on the poster is so bad.

Everything is rubbery looking. The pseudo rolled up sleeves. The typical MCU techy fabric. Blegh.

Get some new designer for your outfits already, marvel.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Lego's about to release a bunch of sets based directly on iconic Marvel movie moments, and they've even included this epic scene.

(Seriously, this is great)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Oh man, that’s awesome.

The blind bags for Marvel look excellent and exactly what I want. I have a billion sets and honestly want new mini figs more than anything else.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    jesus lego, can we get more popups on your site please!

Looks like ScarJo is filing a lawsuit against Disney for the simultaneous theater and D+ release of Black Widow.

Her contract tied some of her salary to the profits of the theatrical release, so I can see why she’s upset. Hopefully they’ll cut her a check and smooth things out.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Unless her contract said something about the movie only releasing in theaters and/or Disney cares about keeping her happy for some reason good luck with that.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Unless her contract said something about the movie only releasing in theaters and/or Disney cares about keeping her happy for some reason good luck with that.

She says it did have such a clause. The latter part they don't give a fuck since that was her last role in the MCU.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Black Widow's simultaneous release also pissed off the theaters when its box office plummeted weirdly fast in its second weekend.

Though the latest Space Jam, which also had a simultaneous release, did exactly the same thing. So the theaters might have a point.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Black Widow's simultaneous release also pissed off the theaters when its box office plummeted weirdly fast in its second weekend.

Though the latest Space Jam, which also had a simultaneous release, did exactly the same thing. So the theaters might have a point.

Theaters have a point, because they’re in big trouble. We paid the $30 for premier access and since I have a comfy couch, a high def TV, and a popcorn maker there’s not much a theater can offer me that can compete. Plus my family of 4 actually saved close to $50 by not going to the theater.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I don't think you sue The Mouse without being convinced that you have an airtight case, so I'm really curious how this plays out.

It probably ends with Disney cutting her a check to recoup some of the money she missed out on. I would be willing to bet it is settled out of court.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I hope/suspect it'll end up with a cheque being cut. Just because it's her last appearance doesn't mean they want to burn a bridge for future cameos, flashbacks, voice over work, etc.

I mean, I'd hope that the mouse would just throw some cash at her with a fair estimate of how it would have done in theaters based on a bunch of internal numbers we don't get, carry the two, fuck it round up a bit more just to keep things going.

A cursory Google search indicates that Disney is worth over 200 billion in assets, throw an extra million or two at her and call it a day. Or 10. Whatever. The point is it's still likely well within their petty cash range.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Disney and AT&T are the only 2 companies in the world who could even think about getting away with doing a simultaneous theater/streaming release. Most production companies do not share ownership with the distribution companies who actually sell the film to theaters. Disney DOES own both the production and distribution companies so they can change the agreement midstream. That totally fucks over the actors who's pay is often tied to box office revenue. Of ScarJo did indeed have a line in her contract for her cut of the box office profits (instead of being paid all up front) and another line that specifically forbids dumping her movie directly on streaming, it should be an open and shut case.

I don't think this is what's going to happen though. I've never heard of an actor's contract dictating terms of distribution of a film. It is very common for Hollywood accounting to show that a movie has lost money on paper just so they don't have to pay residuals to their actors. Star Wars is a great example of this. None of the actors received any residuals because on paper the movies lost money. I feel like ScarJo has an uphill battle ahead of her. Something like this has never happened in the history of cinema and this is a wholly novel legal scenario. I doubt her contract even considered the idea that the film would languish in purgatory for over a year only to be farted out onto streaming.
    Ms. Johansson said in the suit that her agreement with Disney’s Marvel Entertainment guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release

Frankly I just don't believe this claim. That is just not something covered in a standard actor's agreement. It usually covers things like the length of time a movie is shown in theaters but not theater exclusivity or the schedule of home release.

I think she's in for an uphill battle. I fully support her team filing this lawsuit, though. A lot of actors got fucked over COVID because the theater timer expired and the movie could just be dumped on home video. This will end up being a precedential lawsuit. I look forward to the inevitable review Lenard French will do, going over the entire filing.

Given the proliferation of streaming services, it's entirely possible that existed in her contract, especially if her pay is tied to it. Hollywood loves screwing people out of money. "X amount of box office profits" is the kind of thing where a good lawyers is going to make sure there's going to BE box office profits.

This discussion has been closed.