As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In a world, where [Trailers] are fun...

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Psyched for Ghostbusters.

I can totally buy that in the 80s a bunch of Weirdos in New York did a thing that no one remembers.

There's a lot of things that happened in the 80s we don't remember, or not clearly, and that was also prime time for shit like David Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear, so especially in Farmillle, Iowa, I get them not remembering/believing it.

Hell most people never heard of the Tulsa Massacre until Watchmen came out. Like it's easy to forget history or bury it.

Prime example is Ghostbusters itself. It all centers around a building designed to be a cult summoning circle and no one knew anything about it until Ray found it in an old book and started digging through the permits office.

And like I had a grandparent that died when I was about Finn's age and had no idea what they did for a living, so I get the kids being like "I dunno he left us a farm out here. None of this shit looks familiar"

The GB's would change society, they confirmed spirits are real and attacked on a large scale New York City twice. The Titanic came back. Everything's in the open now, it irritates me when series do this - like Doctor Who. They do this so it remains a recognisable world for the audience and to make the heroes underdogs.

People forgetting about everything Ghostbuster-related is a far, far less ridiculous notion to me than the idea of 30-40% of a supposedly-educated population simply denying a pandemic exists because it makes their politicians look bad and makes them personally look stupid. Or the fact that a significant chunk of the population believes that angels are an actual thing in the actual world with absolutely zero evidence ever of such a thing.

Millions of people denying something the big culturally isn't what they're doing, is like 20 years from now everyone on Earth forgets about the pandemic, despite the footage being left behind and million of witnesses. In the 80s everything would be on camera, and millions would acceptt it, its be in the news as an event and college courses would be made about it. It's an Independent Day - the movie event.
    In the first movie, Peck is trying to discount everything as a scam created by using hallucinogens and lights and the city totally backs his push. In the second movie, everyone has already discounted the Ghostbusters as being a scam because lawyers spun it that way in public to try and pin damage on them that insurance wouldn't cover. In both cases, the disaster has to reach the point of personally and directly affecting the mayor before the Ghostbusters were even allowed out of confinement to do anything. And afterwards? You can bet your ass that mayor turned coat on the Ghostbusters if it was politically convenient.

Peck is a single official, and all his credibility goes out the window once the GB containment unit is busted. Lawyers wouldn't be sweeping anything under the rug like that, thats a narrative conceit. The mayor doing that wouldn't make everyone forget the Marshmallow man attacked the city, never mind all the supernatural events in the finale. Pop culture event milestones don't evaporate from society, especially something as grand breaking like that.
    If the new movie taking place somewhere close to now? Yeah, I would fully 100% buy that the world at large has entirely forgotten about the Ghostbusters in the intervening 30 years. It doesn't matter if a significant chunk of the NYC population saw all this crazy shit, that would be a drop in the ocean to world at large and easily swept right under the rug before the internet. It was only the confluence of huge paranormal events that brought the ghost up enough for the Ghostbusters to get them; without another event, the Ghostbusters would've basically vanished and people would've forgotten about the "ghosts".

The world would have noticed that, especially during the Cold War. Too much was proven true at that point. Evens like that don't disappear, its like the world forgetting 9/11. That would be impossible to cover up. Before the finale people would forget, and the movie played down how events like that would affect society since hey need ghosts to say hidden from society until the finale. Unlike our world ghost chasing tv shows would have real ghosts in them. The GB vanishing when their work dries up shouldn't make what they did disappear. They had a story to tell, and they are ok subverting reality since they're able to do that, that didn't make it realistic.
    Plus, the Ghostbusters were a much bigger deal in reality than in their own setting; they were a global movie phenomenon here, but in their fictional NYC they were mostly a local NYC event except for a really brief period.

A brief period is all it takes to change the world and by all right they should have. But like I said, hey wanted a story to tell, and they need the GB to have certain status quo. This isn't about the GB's being popular, its about the ghosts who invaded NYC in massive events.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Except the pandemic has happened worldwide and is heavily documented and broadcast and many tens of millions of people still call it a hoax or a fraud. We just got through a presidential term where the President actively got hundreds of thousands of citizens killed rather than admit he was wrong, and that has happened in multiple countries and millions of their followers believe them anyway! This shit is happening right now and people are denying it!

The big events of Ghostbusters happened in one city on two nights years apart in a time period when few events ever got international attention or coverage, with the friendliest status quo attitude from any major legal or religious organization attitude towards the Ghostbusters being "no comment". And both times, the people running the city looked like a bunch of jackasses. All the ghosts disappeared afterwards, leaving just the damage and nothing to pin insurance claims on. There was every bit of motive to throw the Ghostbusters under the bus just for that alone, since perpetrators would mean insurance coverage and ghosts would mean the city and state government left with the bill.

The Ghostbusters, and ghosts, getting buried again, and deep, would absolutey be the norm, and everybody proclaiming ghosts to be real would spend the next several years being publicly and loudly dismissed as crazy. Tens of millions of people believe we get regular visitations by UFOs and the common view of them is "loopy, but mostly harmless"; there were far fewer eyewitnesses in NYC than that, and a hell of a lot more incentive to shut them up. And who gives a crap about a bunch of tape of "ghosts"? Nobody would be able to find ghosts afterwards, so there would be no reason to believe the recordings, which would be relatively rare, were anything but a hoax as well.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    What is your evidence Ghostbusters is buried in the new movie? Only the kids seem not to know.
    The GB haven't been active for a long time, but that's not the same as people forgetting all about it.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't get the impression there's been a society-wide forgetting of what happened, more that it's just not important to most people. It was a huge deal in the last century, but with no need for anyone to tackle those problems now, lots of people are unaware of what happened.

Like the millennium bug.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Exactly. The Ghostbusters won. Ghost went away, they said it in the original trailer. (I think Paul Rudd says "there hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years")

are YOU on the beer list?
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

It kind of has a sloppy Blade Runner vibe.

wVEsyIc.png
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    The only part that bugs me is that the movie seems to rely on the idea that the four guys who blew up a 10-story tall living marshmallow man, and then marched the Statue of Liberty through Manhattan in the span of only 5 years have been completely forgotten.

Didn't that happen between Ghostbusters 1 and 2? No one wanted to believe it, there weren't as many cameras, etc...

Yeah but even that was a plot crutch, they have to be the lovable losers, it's their thing.

So they are using the same plot crutch here? :)

Like.. I'm an unabashed and loving fan of Tron: Legacy. Sometimes you just need to pull shit to get people where they need to be. And "the world has forgotten about the Ghostbusters" is an easy one.

I haven't seen any Tron but I completely agree with the sentiment here. It does not make sense that the world would forget about ghost, but I accept it as a conceit for telling a story.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Zavian wrote: »

Honestly I see Saban films I know its going to be bad and that looks terrible.

Day 1 watch if that was Miley Cyrus.

steam_sig.png
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Exactly. The Ghostbusters won. Ghost went away, they said it in the original trailer. (I think Paul Rudd says "there hasn't been a ghost sighting in 30 years")

Victims of their own success

They should have let a ghost out every so often to keep their business afloat, like a combination exterminator / rat farm

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    In the first movie, Peck is trying to discount everything as a scam created by using hallucinogens and lights and the city totally backs his push. .

Not really, He wants to inspect the containment device Because he feels it contains nasty chemicals or some such. Venkman antagonizes him to the point of Peck threatening to get a court order unless he gets a look. He clearly does not believe the ghost stuff but he is not accusing them of fraud, his stated goal is check for environmental damage which makes sense as he is from the EPA.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    In the first movie, Peck is trying to discount everything as a scam created by using hallucinogens and lights and the city totally backs his push. .

Not really, He wants to inspect the containment device Because he feels it contains nasty chemicals or some such. Venkman antagonizes him to the point of Peck threatening to get a court order unless he gets a look. He clearly does not believe the ghost stuff but he is not accusing them of fraud, his stated goal is check for environmental damage which makes sense as he is from the EPA.

Yeah the Peck character is an ugly characterization of how right wing people believe the EPA is. Like he had every reason to be worried about what the ghostbusters were up to and they did not at all provide the information he had requested.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Maaan. I know Adam Savage has Tested these days, but I really want to see him turn that "Savage Science" show into a real YouTube thing.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Mc zany wrote: »

Yeah the Peck character is an ugly characterization of how right wing people believe the EPA is. Like he had every reason to be worried about what the ghostbusters were up to and they did not at all provide the information he had requested.

There's also an element of an elitist intellectual looking down on the working class GBs, which is a major theme in the movie. Peck was overall justified but he was a snide jackass about it which Venkman bristled against. Peck responded by forcefully shutting down the containment grid. He clearly shouldn't have and did not need to do that, showing that he cared more about fucking over the GBs than any environmental concerns.

It was always weird that 3 dudes with doctorates were acting like blue collar dudes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NineNine Registered User regular

Victims of their own success

They should have let a ghost out every so often to keep their business afloat, like a combination exterminator / rat farm

When that happened in the cartoon, they became the Crime Busters.

Probably for the best that isn't canon. Or maybe it is and they got sued out of existence for civil rights violations and that's why Egon's family is poor.

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular

I can totally buy that in the 80s a bunch of Weirdos in New York did a thing that no one remembers.

There's a lot of things that happened in the 80s we don't remember, or not clearly, and that was also prime time for shit like David Copperfield making the Statue of Liberty disappear, so especially in Farmillle, Iowa, I get them not remembering/believing it.

Hell most people never heard of the Tulsa Massacre until Watchmen came out. Like it's easy to forget history or bury it.

Prime example is Ghostbusters itself. It all centers around a building designed to be a cult summoning circle and no one knew anything about it until Ray found it in an old book and started digging through the permits office.

And like I had a grandparent that died when I was about Finn's age and had no idea what they did for a living, so I get the kids being like "I dunno he left us a farm out here. None of this shit looks familiar"

The GB's would change society, they confirmed spirits are real and attacked on a large scale New York City twice. The Titanic came back. Everything's in the open now, it irritates me when series do this - like Doctor Who. They do this so it remains a recognisable world for the audience and to make the heroes underdogs.

People forgetting about everything Ghostbuster-related is a far, far less ridiculous notion to me than the idea of 30-40% of a supposedly-educated population simply denying a pandemic exists because it makes their politicians look bad and makes them personally look stupid. Or the fact that a significant chunk of the population believes that angels are an actual thing in the actual world with absolutely zero evidence ever of such a thing.

In the first movie, Peck is trying to discount everything as a scam created by using hallucinogens and lights and the city totally backs his push. In the second movie, everyone has already discounted the Ghostbusters as being a scam because lawyers spun it that way in public to try and pin damage on them that insurance wouldn't cover. In both cases, the disaster has to reach the point of personally and directly affecting the mayor before the Ghostbusters were even allowed out of confinement to do anything. And afterwards? You can bet your ass that mayor turned coat on the Ghostbusters if it was politically convenient.

If the new movie taking place somewhere close to now? Yeah, I would fully 100% buy that the world at large has entirely forgotten about the Ghostbusters in the intervening 30 years. It doesn't matter if a significant chunk of the NYC population saw all this crazy shit, that would be a drop in the ocean to world at large and easily swept right under the rug before the internet. It was only the confluence of huge paranormal events that brought the ghost up enough for the Ghostbusters to get them; without another event, the Ghostbusters would've basically vanished and people would've forgotten about the "ghosts".

Plus, the Ghostbusters were a much bigger deal in reality than in their own setting; they were a global movie phenomenon here, but in their fictional NYC they were mostly a local NYC event except for a really brief period.

I know we're supposed to handwave it (and I'm ok doing it), but I feel that the bigger impact on the world would be that ghosts and the paranormal are objectively real. Sure those specific evens and those ghostbusters could be considered hoaxes. But they live in a world where shitty YouTube ghost hunters are actually finding ghosts, where some real scientists and researchers would've looked into it and found something instead of the nothing they find in our world.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

I know we're supposed to handwave it (and I'm ok doing it), but I feel that the bigger impact on the world would be that ghosts and the paranormal are objectively real. Sure those specific evens and those ghostbusters could be considered hoaxes. But they live in a world where shitty YouTube ghost hunters are actually finding ghosts, where some real scientists and researchers would've looked into it and found something instead of the nothing they find in our world.
    While PKE meters are theoretically ground breaking and make a fortune on sales to ghost hunters, it does offer concrete proof that most haunting sports are just BS, which paradoxically makes it useless for ghost hunters.
    The real question is whether ghost are just around all over, in which case their world would have already known about ghosts since they're just around and real, or whether ghosts only showed up only because of Gozer bullshit, which is a lot more likely to be the case since between the first and second movie the number of ghost appearances drastically reduced and put the Ghostbusters out of commission.

So i'd imagine that after GB2 the number of ghost sightings pretty much fell off the map and everyone just wrote it off as a hoax.

Their work still confirmed there is an afterlife though. Like in the ghostbuster universe people definitely go somewhere when they die. Also the ghostbusters were running a private prison, that's right they are the real bad guys.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Their work still confirmed there is an afterlife though. Like in the ghostbuster universe people definitely go somewhere when they die. Also the ghostbusters were running a private prison, that's right they are the real bad guys.

Nah, ghosts could be imprints or artificial creations by aliens at the moment of someone's death or something something something that let's me discount reality and sort of makes sense :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    It was always weird that 3 dudes with doctorates were acting like blue collar dudes.

I mean they were unemployed and there's no way Venkman could have a successful psychology practice. He'd be in prison by now.

Egon as we've seen from the films and this new trailer, was a bit of the "absent minded professor" so I get that too.

Ray basically spent his entire life savings and then took out a second mortgage to make the Ghostbusters happen, and they were shut down a year later.

The doctorate does not equal wealth.

I mean they were unemployed and there's no way Venkman could have a successful psychology practice. He'd be in prison by now.

Egon as we've seen from the films and this new trailer, was a bit of the "absent minded professor" so I get that too.

Ray basically spent his entire life savings and then took out a second mortgage to make the Ghostbusters happen, and they were shut down a year later.

I don't know anyone who is blue collar that has a doctorate! I mean at least since princeton turned down your application for gas station food doctorate.

pleasepaypreacher.net

I don't know anyone who is blue collar that has a doctorate! I mean at least since princeton turned down your application for gas station food doctorate.

I don't either but I'm guessing there were more than three of them in Reagan's 80s.

What I would have liked to have seen for a ghostbusters sequel is a group of actual blue collar dudes answering an ad to be a ghostbusters franchise. That could have been an interesting film we'll never get.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    What I would have liked to have seen for a ghostbusters sequel is a group of actual blue collar dudes answering an ad to be a ghostbusters franchise. That could have been an interesting film we'll never get.

IIRC the original idea to 3 was that they'd franchise it out and let the main cast retire, which I'd have been on board with as well.

Invest $400,000 and receive four nuclear laser backpacks, a face melting black hole, and no consequenses.

IIRC the original idea to 3 was that they'd franchise it out and let the main cast retire, which I'd have been on board with as well.

Invest $400,000 and receive four nuclear laser backpacks, a face melting black hole, and no consequenses.

I mean I think that would be kind of a funny way to do it. Just 4 rando's down on their luck answering a back page ad about a fun new investment opportunity.

But bitcoin fucked all those jokes up!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Do bar staff count? Although my mate was only there for a couple of weeks after she moved

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm sorry but if the events of Ghostbusters happened in real life it would be one of the most significant events in human history. Proof of an afterlife changes everything.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm sorry but if the events of Ghostbusters happened in real life it would be one of the most significant events in human history. Proof of an afterlife changes everything.

It's not technically proof of an afterlife you see ;)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Great job thread, now I want to see a Ghost Busters TV series done in the style of a typical cop or fireman drama.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Great job thread, now I want to see a Ghost Busters TV series done in the style of a typical cop or fireman drama.

https://youtu.be/Gmn_Tvrt2rQ

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to Shang Chi and the new trailer just solidified how much I'm looking forward to it.

But I'm willing to wait for streaming. With an immunocompromised wife, I just cannot justify spending theater money to put my wife potentially at risk. It's going to be a long while still until I'm comfortable sitting in a theater with a bunch of unmasked people. I wish Feigi would just allow all of the Marvel movies from this year to be added as a premier access. I understand why he doesn't, but I'm more than willing. I purchased Black Widow on premier access and didn't regret it one bit.

Oh well, I'm patient. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!

Winston Zeddmore: The Series

Nobeard wrote: »

I swear didn't Dan Akroyd or someone else dislike Ernie Hudson because they couldn't get eddie murphy and so he under wrote the role in the first movie?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

I swear didn't Dan Akroyd or someone else dislike Ernie Hudson because they couldn't get eddie murphy and so he under wrote the role in the first movie?

This is the official line:
    Ernie Hudson went through about five auditions for the character of Winston Zeddemore. According to him, an earlier version of the script gave Winston a larger role as an Air Force demolitions expert with an elaborate backstory. Excited by the part, he agreed to the job for half his usual salary. The night before shooting began, he was given a new script with a greatly reduced role; Reitman told him the studio wanted to expand Murray's part. Aykroyd has said this was the role intended for Eddie Murphy, although Reitman refuted this. Gregory Hines and Reginald VelJohnson were also considered for the part.

nibXTE7.png
    Man imagine agreeing to do a part because you liked the meat on it, only to get jobbed.

Also wow Gregory Hines? Imagine that Winston!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

This is the official line:
    Ernie Hudson went through about five auditions for the character of Winston Zeddemore. According to him, an earlier version of the script gave Winston a larger role as an Air Force demolitions expert with an elaborate backstory. Excited by the part, he agreed to the job for half his usual salary. The night before shooting began, he was given a new script with a greatly reduced role; Reitman told him the studio wanted to expand Murray's part. Aykroyd has said this was the role intended for Eddie Murphy, although Reitman refuted this. Gregory Hines and Reginald VelJohnson were also considered for the part.

All of those actors could have carried the weight both dramatically and had comedy chops to boot. That's still horseshit

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Ehh. The film was basically greenlit on the backs of Aykroyd, Murray and Ramis being in it. Ernie Hudson was still basically a nobody at the time, while Murray was huge. If Eddie Murphy had been in the part, yeah, it probably wouldn't have changed. But there was nothing to lose by cutting back Hudson's part.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Definitely a Wes Studi sighting.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.