As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Second Annual [Quarantimes] Thread

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

FOR FUCK'S SAKE JUST REINSTATE A NATIONWIDE MASK RECOMMENDATION

a recommendation will not do shit in hellholes like mine where the death cult makes the rules

it needed to be a national mandate day 1, but neoliberalism

• Options
    god this country fucking sucks

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I was promised the adults were back in charge

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Tef wrote: »
    I was promised the adults were back in charge

I dunno who you were talking to but it wasn't around here
    maybe in D&D

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    My thing is that, prevailing science says that a vaccinated person is highly unlikely to shed potential infectious dose -- so why is it needed that the vaccinated go back to wearing masks?

Is it just to get rid of the potential false pretense that an unvaccinated person has to forgo a mask? If so well, I really doubt that the people who might have engaged in that sort of lie are going to have their antisocial behavior curtailed by either a CDC recommendation or a mask mandate.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    user wrote: »
    My thing is that, prevailing science says that a vaccinated person is highly unlikely to shed potential infectious dose -- so why is it needed that the vaccinated go back to wearing masks?

Is it just to get rid of the potential false pretense that an unvaccinated person has to forgo a mask? If so well, I really doubt that the people who might have engaged in that sort of lie are going to have their antisocial behavior curtailed by either a CDC recommendation or a mask mandate.

https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-79959d313428d98ab8aa905bbe287ba0
    Citing new information about the variant’s ability to spread among vaccinated people, the CDC also recommended indoor masks for all teachers, staff, students and visitors at schools nationwide, regardless of vaccination status.

When earlier strains of the virus predominated, infected vaccinated people were found to have low levels of virus and were deemed unlikely to spread the virus much, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said.

But with the delta variant, a mutated and more transmissible version of the virus, the level of virus in infected vaccinated people is “indistinguishable” from the level of virus in the noses and throats of unvaccinated people, Walensky said.

The data emerged over the last couple of days from over 100 samples from several states and one other country. It is unpublished, and the CDC has not released it. But “it is concerning enough that we feel like we have to act,” Walensky said.

Vaccinated people “have the potential to spread that virus to others,” she said.

• Options
    people who are vaccinated can still contract the virus, and those people can definitely cause other infections

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hoo boy, shot #1 didn’t cause much in the way of fever stuff, but it sure did a number on my head today

I feel like someone has poured a gallon of tar directly into my brain

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Hoo boy, shot #1 didn’t cause much in the way of fever stuff, but it sure did a number on my head today

I feel like someone has poured a gallon of tar directly into my brain

check to make sure nobody actually poured tar in there

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    people who are vaccinated can still contract the virus, and those people can definitely cause other infections

Also apparently there's some new data showing that the Jannsen vaccine (J&J) isn't as effective as it was claimed to be (and it was already way less effective than Moderna or Pfizer) so I'm feeling real secure right now!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited July 2021

There is still a chance of transmission though it isn't high from vaxxed to vaxxed. It's also still possible for vaxxed people to contract it from the unvaxxed, especially if they're in a group that is potentially more compromised in terms of immunity e.g. older populations, people with immune disorders, etc., and well, the whole point of the pandemic restrictions has been to try and prevent cases that are bad enough to fill hospital systems etc

It is also the cheapest and lowest effort for greatest effect mitigation method that can be done, on top of how it is easier to not wear a mask than to get a vaccine (so the vaccine hesitant or apathetic are going to opt for that instead)

This is why in other regions, masks should be the last mitigation method to go; it isn't about the individual being immune but the whole community, which is how public health decisions should be made

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular

Cello wrote: »

There is still a chance of transmission though it isn't high from vaxxed to vaxxed. It's also still possible for vaxxed people to contract it from the unvaxxed, especially if they're in a group that is potentially more compromised in terms of immunity e.g. older populations, people with immune disorders, etc., and well, the whole point of the pandemic restrictions has been to try and prevent cases that are bad enough to fill hospital systems etc

It is also the cheapest and lowest effort for greatest effect mitigation method that can be done, on top of how it is easier to not wear a mask than to get a vaccine (so the vaccine hesitant or apathetic are going to opt for that instead)

This is why in other regions, masks should be the last mitigation method to go; it isn't about the individual being immune but the whole community, which is how public health decisions should be made

Yeah, I just read the CDC notices myself. This is definitely breakthrough, novel information but it's good to know. I swear I asked a few days ago in D&D and was told that the vaccinated shed a lot less dosage than the unvaccinated comparing infected to infected.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Yeah, I just read the CDC notices myself. This is definitely breakthrough, novel information but it's good to know. I swear I asked a few days ago in D&D and was told that the vaccinated shed a lot less dosage than the unvaccinated comparing infected to infected.

A few days ago that was believed to be true based on prior data. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be any longer given new data regarding viral load in vaccinated people who become infected with the delta variant.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Also apparently there's some new data showing that the Jannsen vaccine (J&J) isn't as effective as it was claimed to be (and it was already way less effective than Moderna or Pfizer) so I'm feeling real secure right now!

the flip side is tests are showing that mixing it with the rna vaccine makes it more effective than both moderna and pfizer

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

the flip side is tests are showing that mixing it with the rna vaccine makes it more effective than both moderna and pfizer

Shit I thought I finished the fetch quest but now there's another step in the latest patch.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    i may still have this somewhere...
    80s-SR-71-Black-bird-t-shirt-H87F-1-700x700.jpg
    SR-71 Blackbird

Oh man, I used to have...the B2 version maybe? As well as the F14?

Those shirts were so gaudy and I *loved* them

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I had my second shot yesterday. Felt fine, but slept for like 11 hours.

Barely any soreness in the arm today, but unlike last time I've got a "feels like the start of a cold" thing going on.

I'm trying to fix it by staying on the couch and watching Deep Rising. Trusting in the curative powers of Treat Williams.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I think I may have caught the flu from some of the people walking around a COVID-19 vaccination center maskless, because I am still just wrecked. Stuffed nose, coughing, sweating, feeling awful. It might be COVID, to be honest, I haven't had the energy to go get checked.

Couple of days ago I didn't have enough energy to actually pay attention to stuff like watching TV, so I decided to just sit and do some card controls, something my hands could do on autopilot. The only thing my brain had to do was look at a card and remember it for three seconds, and I had to stop because I couldn't.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I think I may have caught the flu from some of the people walking around a COVID-19 vaccination center maskless, because I am still just wrecked. Stuffed nose, coughing, sweating, feeling awful. It might be COVID, to be honest, I haven't had the energy to go get checked.

Couple of days ago I didn't have enough energy to actually pay attention to stuff like watching TV, so I decided to just sit and do some card controls, something my hands could do on autopilot. The only thing my brain had to do was look at a card and remember it for three seconds, and I had to stop because I couldn't.

Yeaaaaah, uh, you should consider getting checked, pal

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Not for lack of will, believe me.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

I really wish we could get some actual consensus and also officials telling us with the J&J that we should go get another shot. I will be there immediately.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I do feel kind of icky acting like a fanboy over something designed to kill and destroy. But there's a very primitive part of my brain that just goes "Ooh big thing in sky go fast make loud!"

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I met with some archery coaches out of doors, think I got some really good advice, feeling really good about things

Got a good deal on some arrows, feeling good about that too

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I take some perverse joy out of the fact that my neighbor, who owns dozens of the loudest, single use gas powered yard devices, and mows his lawn for hours every other day has his grass dying right now in the extreme heat. Meanwhile, me over here with a single electric lawn mower, who only mows it once a week, has a nice green grass.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Yeah uhh

I would place a strong bet that you have covid, sorry bud

That's what it feels like

• Options
    And I literally just got my second vaccine shot.

Antigen test says negative for COVID at least, I don't really have a PCR test spot in walking range (certainly not right now). Guess we'll see what the weekend brings.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options

I really wish we could get some actual consensus and also officials telling us with the J&J that we should go get another shot. I will be there immediately.

so far I have seen that it's not recommended yet, but might be in the future

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    My whole work out and then go finish cleaning out my old apartment plan would go a lot better if my insides would stop trying to become outsides.

Edit: oof I was in such pain my English broke

Weaver on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    And I literally just got my second vaccine shot.

Antigen test says negative for COVID at least, I don't really have a PCR test spot in walking range (certainly not right now). Guess we'll see what the weekend brings.

Just after the second dose doesn't really count as fully vaccinated. Takes about 2 weeks at least to build up the protection. Even then breakthrough is still possible. At least the vaccine will lessen the impact of you're infected.

PCR would be great. Antigen can be quite unreliable.

• Options
    Great. Back to paranoia of this slight cough I’m developing is covid or caused by a decrease in air quality due to fires out west.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    You can check the North American Fire and Smoke Map. Oklahoma is under a smoke plume right now. Not as bad as, say, Minnesota, whose air quality is being kicked in the face right now, but definitely worse than northern New England where it's raining right now.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Also http://firesmoke.ca, for another "how smoky is it and why" site. Seems to have roughly the same idea of how much smoke there is around, but (to me) it's a bit easier to read.

djmitchella on
  • Options
    Mayabird wrote: »
    You can check the North American Fire and Smoke Map. Oklahoma is under a smoke plume right now. Not as bad as, say, Minnesota, whose air quality is being kicked in the face right now, but definitely worse than northern New England where it's raining right now.

We are getting by the same smoke Minnesota is getting right now.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Speaking for Northern Mass, any time lately it hasn't been raining it's been pretty smokey

That said it has rained nearly every day for the past month

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    What I wouldn't give for a solid day of rain right now.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    What I wouldn't give for a solid day of rain right now.

It might rain Saturday morning here. I am excited!

• Options
    it almost never goes above 75 here. a lot of days it stays in the 60s, which, as a coldblooded person, I hate

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So my parents may have been exposed to Covid from a person who got the J&J vaccine, but has come down with a moderate case. Probably the delta variant, I guess. Stay careful out there, everybody.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, about that staying safe thing…

Tweet is from a local news affiliate:
    Gov. Greg Abbott's new order stripped local officials' ability to limit capacity at businesses or to require vaccines or face masks.
    Image stating that no govt entity can mandate masks
    Local govts cannot limit business capacity
    Anything that gets state funds can’t require proof of vaccination

Tweet is from a local idiot:
    I issued an executive order providing uniformity in Texas' COVID response—we must rely on personal responsibility, not gov't mandates.

Texans will decide for themselves whether they'll wear masks & open businesses.

Vaccines are the best defense & will always remain voluntary.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    EXECUTIVE ORDER

WE MUST NOT HAVE GOVERNMENT MANDATES

what a dipshit

This discussion has been closed.