As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm not sure whether my "favorite" part of that is the province saying positive cases can barhop all they want now, or that the province is halting access to testing more or less entirely lest the premier look bad.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    With the Alberta government seemingly determined to go full plague factory, I wonder if the rest of the country would be willing to chip in to Under the Dome them. I think it's the only way at this point.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Does Alberta have pockets of super-low vaccination rates like those areas of southern Manitoba that seem to aspire to being Trump Country North?

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Does Alberta have pockets of super-low vaccination rates like those areas of southern Manitoba that seem to aspire to being Trump Country North?

They have Jason Kenney as premier, that's all you need.

:so_raven:
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    shaking head ..

Dr Deena Hinshaw attempts to give reasoning and rational behind the UCPs (and it is the UCP) changes to Covid Protocols.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/deena-hinshaw-covid-19-alberta-1.6123181

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    With the Alberta government seemingly determined to go full plague factory, I wonder if the rest of the country would be willing to chip in to Under the Dome them. I think it's the only way at this point.

Good luck with that, I got routinely ridiculed at the height of the pandemic for suggesting that BC has natural choke points that could be at the very least have a simple automated solar panel powered toll booth gate style border area errected to trace traffic for the purposes of limiting unnecessary pandemic travel enforcement when trying to figure out the least expensive means of doing so with minimal LEO roadblock style over time.

If BC can't get it done at the height of the pandemic, "dome-ing" the other 3 edges (NWT, USA, Sask) of Alberta is a pipe dream.

But you're probably just making some Simpson's move reference dark joke and never really considered it an option, so... /shrugs

steam_sig.png
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

Good luck with that, I got routinely ridiculed at the height of the pandemic for suggesting that BC has natural choke points that could be at the very least have a simple automated solar panel powered toll booth gate style border area errected to trace traffic for the purposes of limiting unnecessary pandemic travel enforcement when trying to figure out the least expensive means of doing so with minimal LEO roadblock style over time.

If BC can't get it done at the height of the pandemic, "dome-ing" the other 3 edges (NWT, USA, Sask) of Alberta is a pipe dream.

But you're probably just making some Simpson's move reference dark joke and never really considered it an option, so... /shrugs

Mostly just venting with a Stephen King/Simpsons reference, yeah.
    If most of the country wasn't even willing to have significant travel restrictions last year, it's almost definitely a no go now.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

I mean, if you have a province that is this determined to fasciltate a deadly virus's spread it stands to reason that you'd want to begin closing the borders with it to try and contain the outbreak; I'm pretty sure BC, the NWTs and Saskatchewan didn't sign onto that particular suicide pact.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Huzzah, our NDP sign arrived~
    Things must be pretty busy. I put in for that the day of or just after they announced the election, more than a week ago. <_<

Something that was mentioned earlier in the thread, but was interesting to watch in action in the debate the other night, is the degree to which the Nova Scotia Liberals and Progressive Conservatives are struggling to differentiate themselves. Their platforms are incredibly similar, as are most of their talking points. The notable bits are the Liberals promising to definitely for sure now do the things they've failed to do in years past at the same time as a 4-year balanced budget (something the other two parties are quick to highlight literally nobody else in the country is trying to do, and for "good reason"), and the PCs offering an incredibly fucked up business plan that allows companies to either pay their back-owed taxes, or deffer them and offer it as ... it's kind of unclear to me, but it seems like ... bonuses? ... to their employees.
    So anyway bracing for which of the two identical vanilla-flavor governments we're going to have in a month ...

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

I mean, if you have a province that is this determined to fasciltate a deadly virus's spread it stands to reason that you'd want to begin closing the borders with it to try and contain the outbreak; I'm pretty sure BC, the NWTs and Saskatchewan didn't sign onto that particular suicide pact.

I've only been paying a little attention to Saskatchewan politics, but I think they're looking to import Alberta doorknobs to lick.

steam_sig.png
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Check out Alberta planning the parade after winning their home opener. Best of luck with that, as fourth wave lands with the variants.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Corvus wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »

They have Jason Kenney as premier, that's all you need.

I was looking for something like this at the bottom of the page which it took me way too long to find. The cities are darker colors and then in the south are two very unvaccinated areas like Taber, where they're just gonna have their Cornfest like there's no pandemic even though they're at shitty-US levels of vaccination.

Speaking of shitty US, looks like that whole "let in fully vaccinated Americans even though the unvaccinated are getting fake documents" plan sure is going well, and by well I mean "of course people are lying to get in". Those two got caught and heavily fined, which is good, but how many more are slipping through the cracks? Don't let us plague rats in. Short-term cash is not worth the long-term effects of further outbreaks.

Mayabird on
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I fully support the Alberta independence movement.

If Alberta is it's own country, then we can close the borders on them, right?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »

Id rather support dumb fuck politicians in my province getting tarred and feathered, and perhaps shot out of a cannon.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

I don't see why we can't close borders with them regardless of their provincial status

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I don't see why we can't close borders with them regardless of their provincial status

We can? This changes everything!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

We can? This changes everything!

The past 1.5 years has taught me that "close the borders" means a lot of different things depending on who's doing the talking.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Assuming you're serious, no you can't. Mobility rights aren't even subject to the notwithstanding clause, pretty much any kind of full border closure is going to fall to a charter challenge. The best you can do is probably put limited restrictions on people who cross the border

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

Assuming you're serious, no you can't. Mobility rights aren't even subject to the notwithstanding clause, pretty much any kind of full border closure is going to fall to a charter challenge. The best you can do is probably put limited restrictions on people who cross the border

look at this guy with his big technicalities! sounds like an albertan wanting to bring covid into BC to me! :p

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular

But we did close the borders between provinces because of covid during the worst of the pandemic...

sig.gif
    Richy wrote: »

But we did close the borders between provinces because of covid during the worst of the pandemic...

It's also why I argue that if alberta is determined to engage in this insanity then the appropriate response is to start restricting travel to it now so that we don't have to worry about them exporting the plague to the rest of canada, because by the time we see the results of this catastrophic policy it will be too late.

As the saying goes, "your right to throw a punch does not include my face."

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Covid travel bans were justified at provincial Supreme Court levels via a reasonable limits test (see here)

Alternatively, since border closures are provincial, the Charter Mobility Rights specifically has this limitation likely applicable in public health situations:
    Limitation
    (3) The rights specified in subsection (2) are subject to
    (a) any laws or practices of general application in force in a province other than those that discriminate among persons primarily on the basis or province of present or previous residence

You can't close your border to block out people because they came from or are coming from any particular province. This would fail Section 6 and fail reasonable limits as it is not proportional, likely not rationally connected, and not minimally impairing.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Aegis wrote: »
    Covid travel bans were justified at provincial Supreme Court levels via a reasonable limits test (see here)

Alternatively, since border closures are provincial, the Charter Mobility Rights specifically has this limitation likely applicable in public health situations:
    Limitation
    (a) any laws or practices of general application in force in a province other than those that discriminate among persons primarily on the basis or province of present or previous residence

You can't close your border to block out people because they came from or are coming from any particular province. This would fail Section 6 and fail reasonable limits as it is not proportional, likely not rationally connected, and not minimally impairing.

Did they consider the possibility of one province losing it's god damn mind and deciding to wrecklessly threaten not just their own citizens but other provinces as well?

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

Limitation

Did they consider the possibility of one province losing it's god damn mind and deciding to wrecklessly threaten not just their own citizens but other provinces as well?

If you limited travel to all of those who cannot provide proof of vaccination then it is no longer falling afoul of the Charter.

Which to be honest should be on all the provincial and national borders regardless.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Just a reminder that many of the most amusing members of this thread are also regulars at the PA Isolation Squad Discord, and you can be too!

Join us at https://discord.gg/JRdtZW2P!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Just a reminder that many of the most amusing members of this thread are also regulars at the PA Isolation Squad Discord, and you can be too!

This is objectively false as I am on the Discord as well.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

This is objectively false as I am on the Discord as well.

👀

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Couldn’t wait until I can vote, could you, Canada.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

It's been obvious we were going back to the polls for months.

Except instead of having it in the spring, when the third wave was dying down, the vaccination campaign was at full force, O'Toole was invisible, and everyone was basking in the light at the end of the tunnel, we're having it in the fall, when the fourth wave is in full force, the vaccination campaign is a distant memory, everyone is eyeing the budget and labor drain from the PCU, O'Toole has months to build himself up as the defender of Canada against (insert whatever the Liberals are doing that day), and the light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished. I swear, Liberals wouldn't do anything different if they were deliberately trying to lose the election.

sig.gif
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    FWIW, the polling data I've seen so far shows the CPC losing a fair bit of ground and the NDP picking most of it up. Not that they can't find ways to screw it all up, but presently it's hard not to see this as "will we repeat the last 4 years or will they get a full majority now?" with the CPC not really posing a threat at all.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    This probably sounds dire, but I think an increasing wave of illness really only plays into the Liberal party's hands. Poor COVID performance is more associated with the provincial leadership than Federal, and the worst provinces for COVID tend to have Conservative leaders. Both Jagmeet Singh and Erin O'Toole producing advertising content to the effect of "This is NOT the time to have an election" should illustrate exactly how they feel they'll perform if one is called. Libs are still coasting high on vaccine procurement, CERB and CEWS payments, and the recently announced childcare funding. Plus running an election during a pandemic is going to lead to a lot of mail-in and early voting, and turnouts inevitably favour the center and left sides of things.

I was listening to a Canadian politics podcast (The Backbench, hosted by Fatima Syed) and in discussing election timing one of the guests joked that were Trudeau trying to motivate new members of the Liberal parliament to campaign strongly for their seats, calling an election just shy of them becoming eligible for their pensions would be a way to do it. I doubt that's actually the case, but it gave me a chuckle.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Alberta has reversed course and is going to continue requiring COVID isolation and contact tracing, and masking in public.

Hmmm, what recent announcement could have influenced that decision, I wonder?

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The Conservatives are having a cool one on their twitter:

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    The Conservatives are having a cool one on their twitter:

And this is baaaaaaaad!

In non-election news, we federal public servants just got an email from on high informing us that a mandatory vaccination requirement will be in effect by the end of September.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    There's also going to be a mandate for domestic rail and air travel.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    People will like that ad but it will be the people already planning to vote and vote CON.
    O'toole is still a numpty and released this mealy mouthed statement about vaccination

Laura Stone is a reporter from the globe and mail.

O'toole: "Vaccines good! but you don't have to get one if you don't want to" (paraphrased)

Aridhol on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    It is your choice..... You just don't get to come to play, travel and live with the rest of us if you choose to be an ass.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Choosing to side with the minority of the population that is currently experiencing rising anger directed against it by the larger, vaccinated population, sure is an electoral strategy.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Was there ever any doubt that the conservatives would go in this direction

of course they support the unvaccinated

I'm surprised they aren't pumping out anti-vax propaganda themselves. Some of them probably are.

This discussion has been closed.