As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lost Ark] - Machinist & Kakul-Saydon raid out in September

KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances.She called me the master.Registered User regular
edited July 2022 in MMO Extravaganza

This OP is a work in progress, pardon the dust.

What is Lost Ark?
An isometric, ARPG MMO created by South Korean developer Smilegate, being published in the west by Amazon Game Studios.

It is currently the biggest MMO in Korea, where it's been out since late 2018. Released in Russia the year after, and Japan the next.

And what about here?
Delayed release now set for "Early 2022". It'll be hitting all of North America and much of Europe, precise list here:
ygguw98psij1.png

Closed beta 11/4 to 11/11.

How much?
Free on release, with three pre-order "Founder's Pack" options you can buy on Steam, priced at $15, $25, $50 and $100. On release there will be a cash shop with the standard MMO cash shop fare - cosmetics and conveniences primarily. More on this later.

So what's the draw?
First things first, this game is pretty. It packs some of the best skill animations you've probably ever seen, and the environments and creatures are nearly as good. Visually, this thing is on point. More importantly though, it plays as good as it looks. Some of the slickest and most satisfying ARPG combat I've encountered yet. Fluid and substantial, has a bit of a Monster Hunter meets Diablo meets Devil May Cry type of feel to it.

Classes?
Lots of 'em. 5 main classes, and you proceed to your final subclass very early. 14 subclasses upon western release, with 4-5 more that have since been released in other regions. Each class has its own unique 'Identity' mechanic.

We've got...(actual details to come)
  • Berserker - Fighter class. A greatsword wielder so you'd naturally assume slow and heavy hitting, but Berserker has fast skill animations and is still heavy hitting. Has self crit buffs and a party wide damage buff. If you like big damage numbers you'll probably have fun playing this class
  • Paladin - One of two "support" classes on release. Does have a more damage support feel to it than Bard. Tankier than most, has a party heal and a debuff cleanse (which Bard does not have). Has a lot of sword skills, and can very much be played like more of a straight fighter.
  • Gunlancer - The closest thing to a traditional tank in Lost Ark. Is naturally the tankiest of all the classes with the highest HP/Armor scaling. Has a lot of party wide utility with shields and the only aggro skill in the game (albeit more limited than more traditional tanks). Last thing to note is that its mobility skill (Spacebar) is a backstep, and will take some time getting used to. Still capable of dealing good damage, often from medium range.
  • Wardancer - The first of the Martial classes, a melee fighter with light gauntlets. Has a lot of mobility and party wide utility.
  • Scrapper - Similar to Wardancer, but with heavy gauntlets. Emphasis on slower, chunkier hits. An all rounder class that has good damage, party utility, and impairment (depleting a boss's impairment bar will make them stagger). You can feel the impact of each skill. Not lacking in any department.
  • Soulfist - The last Martial class available on NA release, except more of a focus on range and spells. Basically Goku. Has probably the hardest hitting ability in the game - don't miss with it since it's a significant source of your damage.
  • Deadeye/Gunslinger - Gunner classes. Skills are extremely flashy, super mobile. Has the most skills of any class because their identity trait is based around swapping between pistol, shotgun and rifle. High skill cap, high skill floor class. Glass cannon. (Classes in Lost Ark are gender locked, so Gunslinger is the female version of Deadeye, though there are actual gameplay differences - just not hugely significant ones.)
  • Artillerist - The tankiest, least mobile Gunner class. Self shields, lots of AoE, damage and impairment. Has a massive blaster as a weapon, is basically a siege tank.
  • Sharpshooter - Bow user - good damage, good range, good impairment. Kind of an overlooked class, not played so often but still very good. Kind of a hunter but with some stealth openers. Identity skill is a hawk summon.
  • Bard - Has almost everything you can ask for from a support. Heals, shields, Damage buff, and Attack speed buff. Naturally squishy but optimal end game builds does end up making you tankier than most classes, and has a lower skill floor. Although a Bard in a party is not required for content, you will make everyone else in the party happier just by joining. Initially immobile because of no mobility skills besides the basic one, but makes up for it later on with agility (movement speed). Does not do as much damage themselves but more than makes up for it. Will basically never have trouble finding groups end game.
  • Sorceress - A class that is relatively newer overall but has replaced Summoner as one of the two mage options for global launch. Conventional elemental type mage.
  • Shadowhunter - One of the two Assassin classes available at launch, skills are based around demonic power and temporarily transforming into a ridiculously potent demon for a time. Fun class, very fluid, with a lot of potential range for a melee class.
  • Deathblade - Dual sword wielding Assassin class. Flashy and mobile, versatile in how they deal damage. Generally considered kind of a class for DPS tryhards and PvPers.

Features and systems?
This game has most of the standard MMO fare covered. Pets, mounts, guilds, professions, crafting, dungeons, raids, a bit of PvP. In lieu of talents, there is a skill customization system, with each skill having three tiers of options that drastically change the power and nature of the skill.

Other features - private player housing, a considerable amount of collection and exploration systems with permanent bonuses, a system for improving your relationships with certain NPCs to unlock quests and rewards, a card collection game with equippable cards for buffs and set bonuses, ocean adventures, it really does go on. None of these features are tacked on or half-assed though, if something is a feature it tends to have a lot going on with it. (Not certain if the player housing will be in the western release at launch.)

Anything else to add?
Yeah, a fuckload. But I'm going to get this OP out there for now and add to it over time!

Kasyn on

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Placeholder for more future OP content!

PA Community Census - Fill it out so we can see if there's enough interest to warrant a community guild!

Kasyn on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Yeah I'll be giving this a try when it comes out, free is a tempting price.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, been waiting for this. I've dabbled on the RU servers before and after the alpha decided to patch that client and get back into it. "Fall" is way too long to wait when all you want is more Lost Ark, so using this as a chance to play with different classes and get used to the systems since I didn't get that far before.

They also did their "LOA ON mini" event for KR players last night where they revealed their next raids and their next class (Sorceress). Most of this isn't super relevant to the NA/EU release but if you want a sneak peak there's a video, some of the new QOL stuff they're adding may come sooner than the content and people seemed pretty happy with those updates so that's cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZCSyF0yXfc

Currently leaning Paladin for launch, but honestly it's just so hard to decide.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Went through the trouble of getting this working on the Russian server and it was honestly all I could think about during my weekend vacation. This is easily one of the best action games I've played and it works very well with Controller support (at least the beat to beat combat; I can do everything but equip gear with the controller so do keep a Mouse nearby - probably will be updated once NA/EU launches).

I rolled Paladin and Bard for first two classes and am thinking about saving one for NA/EU (probably Paladin). I wont mind rerolling the content as the Russian patch is pretty barebones (it's actually really good in some areas and just wrong in others).

With it releasing on STEAM there is no way this game isn't successful.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Went through the trouble of getting this working on the Russian server and it was honestly all I could think about during my weekend vacation. This is easily one of the best action games I've played and it works very well with Controller support (at least the beat to beat combat; I can do everything but equip gear with the controller so do keep a Mouse nearby - probably will be updated once NA/EU launches).

I rolled Paladin and Bard for first two classes and am thinking about saving one for NA/EU (probably Paladin). I wont mind rerolling the content as the Russian patch is pretty barebones (it's actually really good in some areas and just wrong in others).

With it releasing on STEAM there is no way this game isn't successful.

I'm planning on maining Gunlancer in NA and have been using the Russian server to find my alts. Didn't care for Scrapper as much as I thought I would, really liked Shadowhunter, and ended up getting swept away by how good Paladin has felt.

Also - I just got through the Lutheran Castle Siege / Wall of Glory piece of the campaign for the second time and holy cow that segment of the game is good. It's a little undercut by how easy the campaign is but dang, that's a huge high point of the game so far.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Yeah I'm currently a bit obsessed with this game and can't wait to play again in the Beta.

Been watching (www.twitch.tv/saintone) who plays on the KR servers to get a better idea how the game works. He spends most of his streams explaining things while he does the end game content there.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Incindium wrote: »
    Yeah I'm currently a bit obsessed with this game and can't wait to play again in the Beta.

Been watching (www.twitch.tv/saintone) who plays on the KR servers to get a better idea how the game works. He spends most of his streams explaining things while he does the end game content there.

Well, getting things set up to play in Russia is actually very easy...

I am hearing July for NA beta right now though.

I've been playing a ton on the RU server, game is just a ton of fun and I want to figure out how the endgame looks. Got a holy knight (paladin) up to 50 and started gearing him up. Void dungeons are definitely tougher than I expected if people aren't organized. I'm trying to stay out of content that the NA/EU release won't have at launch to not spoil it too much but that's been pretty easy so far because dang is this thing packed full of stuff to do.

edited June 2021
    Out of curiosity, this describes itself as an MMO, but what part of it is massively multiplayer? All the footage I've seen looks like a more regular online game. Like diablo.
    Does it have a single shared persistent world or something?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Out of curiosity, this describes itself as an MMO, but what part of it is massively multiplayer? All the footage I've seen looks like a more regular online game. Like diablo.
    Does it have a single shared persistent world or something?

It does, though the game has shards (channels) out in the world for when zones get too packed.

Ahhh ok

BahamutZERO.gif
    Any more news on dates for this?

BahamutZERO.gif
    Still waiting for Beta news. An August 5th Beta date leaked but it was officially confirmed to just be placeholder dates and not correct.

steam_sig.png
    steam_sig.png
    TL;DR release window pushed back to "early 2022"

BahamutZERO.gif
    With next closed beta in early November.

Not an insignificant delay, but it is what it is.

Bummer, but honestly it makes sense, not to mention releasing a full MMO too close to Endwalker's release is probably asking for trouble. Oh well, I'll play it either way!

eh I don't think they would have stepped on each others' toes that much, they seem like pretty different styles of MMO

BahamutZERO.gif
    eh I don't think they would have stepped on each others' toes that much, they seem like pretty different styles of MMO

I'm fully onboard with the idea that it's Amazon-motivated because of New World. It was always surprising that there was going to be such overlap there, and it looks like New World won out.

edited September 2021
    Kasyn wrote: »

I'm fully onboard with the idea that it's Amazon-motivated because of New World. It was always surprising that there was going to be such overlap there, and it looks like New World won out.

New World is probably some sort of factor but I believe them in what they stated were their reasons for the delay. There are a bunch of changes that have come out in Korea that need to be implemented for NA but in Korea they were implemented with Tier 3 geared environment as the target. NA/EU will be starting at Tier 1(or 2?) so there is some work in making modifying those system changes but to for a lower Tier level of gear. Also Steam marketplace integration, changes to how the game is monetized, and changes to run optimally on AWS are all non trivial things that need to be worked out on top of the obvious translation and localization work. With all the actual Development work being done by Smilegate RPG in Korea and Amazon doing localization and testing work I can easily see that they came to the realization post Alpha that there was more work left than originally anticipated.

The part where New World possibly comes into play is with the marketing and communication around Lost Ark not being ready and those people being prioritized on New World right now.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Bummer, but honestly it makes sense, not to mention releasing a full MMO too close to Endwalker's release is probably asking for trouble. Oh well, I'll play it either way!

I think it much more likely that avoiding the launch of Diablo 2 was a factor.

Norgoth wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »

I think it much more likely that avoiding the launch of Diablo 2 was a factor.

This game isn't really competing with D2 though, it's only an ARPG in look and feel but is otherwise an MMO. This isn't a looter type game and the overall game loop has more in common with FFXIV or WoW than Diablo. ARPG fans will likely enjoy the combat, but that's where the similarities end.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    This was sounding exciting so I watched a few streamers, and it looked... kinda meh. They were all beating up on some floating metal skull and dying, spell effects were covering the screen, and everything was Korean so I couldn't follow it.
    Anyone got some favorite bits to tell me about?

edited October 2021
    Isometric perspective MMO with loads of systems and characters and skills. The endgame raid bosses which is probably what you watched are Monster Hunter like in that they are long boss battles with specific combat patterns and mechanics which need to be completed cooperatively.

Sywo has a decent introduction video:
    https://youtu.be/_TGN4Mz3AAo

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    A week of closed beta around the corner - 11/4 to 11/11.

I assume same deal as the technical alpha - access for people who have pre-purchased via one of the Steam packs. (The cheapest being the $14.99 Bronze Founder's pack right now.)

I probably won't jump in for such a short beta but definitely worth if people haven't actually played the game yet.

yeah not spending money on this without seeing if I actually enjoy the loop first

BahamutZERO.gif
    steam_sig.png
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I just saw someone whos opinion I respect enough to give it a look's vid about this game. It gives me serious "there must be a catch" vibes here. It reminds me of Blade and Soul but possibly without as much of the bullshit?

The biggest draw for me would be the PVP. Sounds almost exactly like Blade and Soul, down to the "no gear just jump in and play etc" thing. Except in B&S while this was true, eventually there were necessary skill upgrades that DID need to be unlocked in PVP and were only obtainable in PVE, forcing you to interact with one of the worst and unfair progression systems I ever dealt with. Which made me sad, everything else about it worked for me.

So I look at this and hear pvp is fair and balanced jump in and play, PVE has really good group content, lots of world to care about. I just don't see how this all works out without some kind of "if".

Looking at following before its release at least.

the monetization seems like the big potential sticking point to me, I'll have to see what it feels like in practice.

BahamutZERO.gif
    the monetization seems like the big potential sticking point to me, I'll have to see what it feels like in practice.

How so? They've cleaned it up with the NA/EU release so everything in the cash shop is tradable. People buying royal crystals can only buy gold from the exchange which means that that is gold that is being bought from other players. Crystals(Blue) which can be bought for gold or royal crystals can't be sold for gold directly (You'd need to buy an item in the shop for blue crystals and then sell it for gold). They did move the pet perks into the monthly crystalline aura purchase but that can be bought with crystals(blue) which you can buy with gold that is earned in game.

It's basically no worse than any other MMO out there on monetization (and in many ways better) while actually being free to play.

steam_sig.png
    I haven't tried it yet, it's just the part I'm wary about by default.

BahamutZERO.gif
    I've played this game quite a bit on the RU servers and basically, I think the game is pretty good. A lot of eastern f2p MMOs get a lot of earned criticism for monetization because they tend to be very aggressive. Lost Ark was actually like that for the first year or so, there was a pretty large gap for people who paid for extra chances for better gear and there was a lot of criticism about that as well. Then Season 2 came out and they ditched most of that, you'll see people who say Lost Ark is p2w and they were mostly right if talking about it at release, but now it's regarded as one of the least aggressive f2p MMOs in markets where bad monetization practices tend to be more tolerated. And that's being tweaked even more for the western release for the better.

I think it's easy to see this game as just now coming to the west but Smilegate has a reputation for being open with their community and taking feedback seriously. The game itself is solid and getting even better, they just released a whole slew of nice qol features that were very well received that will also be in the western release. If you're worried about the game systems themselves suddenly changing to pull the rug out from under you, that seems doubtful. Amazon has some say in the monetization but it looks like they're easing up on what's there and not introducing new things.

If the game seems interesting to you at all it's probably worth giving it a shot.

They released some details on what the monetization is going to look like in the global launch.

Highlights:

1) All items in the in-game store have a path to being acquirable without an in-game purchase. (Aside from character services like name changes or the Founder packs for the game itself.)
    2) The monthly premium sub service used to add things like movement speed and increased exp. gain, they've removed that and have shifted more of those benefits elsewhere, to things like free transit in-game.

A few other changes to the pet system and an extension of the rotating cash shop deals menu (it lasts like 3x as long) are confirmed as well. So the game has come a long way on its own, plus it's confirmed that they're making further changes with the western audience in mind.

Also: a lot of additional regions are now confirmed for the global release - Oceania and Latin America, 34 new countries in all.

Delays aside, good news!

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    As someone who derped around in the RU version a little bit, transit is technically costly if you literally just try to run through the main story without touching any side content early on. However, if you do some of the side content (primarily early friendship mechanic stuff) transits costs cease to be a thing.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    https://www.playlostark.com/en-us/news/articles/journey-into-lost-ark

Looks like it'll be fairly easy to snag a key too, basically just watch 30 minutes of Twitch streams.
    To obtain a Closed Beta key Drop from a featured channel, all you need to do is watch for an accumulated 30 minutes. Once you’ve done that, follow the instructions on Twitch to claim your key. After claiming your key on Twitch, you’ll need to link your Twitch account with Amazon Games to receive your Closed Beta key. Your key will be delivered via the email associated with your Twitch account.

List of streamers is in the article.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Grabbed a key off a site (gone now) that a friend linked in discord. Installed, launched, marvelled at the opening screen. Maybe take Friday off and play some.

As someone who derped around in the RU version a little bit, transit is technically costly if you literally just try to run through the main story without touching any side content early on. However, if you do some of the side content (primarily early friendship mechanic stuff) transits costs cease to be a thing.

I'm not sure about NA release but on the RU version I've been given a ton of silver to the point I have like 5million+ silver now. Transports costing 100-1000 silver was never an issue in my play ever.

steam_sig.png
    Incindium wrote: »

I'm not sure about NA release but on the RU version I've been given a ton of silver to the point I have like 5million+ silver now. Transports costing 100-1000 silver was never an issue in my play ever.

Yeah transport costs are entirely a very early game "issue" (not really, but it stings more to do it), by endgame it's very negligible.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    If you didn't get a beta key from Amazon, MMORPG.com has over 9k left to give away: https://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways/lost-ark-closed-beta-key-giveaway-2000001022

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    My body is ready. Ive stayed away from 99% of the game. Just read opinions and the like from people I know and trust. I know there may be hiccups this weekend but I dont care. What I have heard is that this game will be a suitable replacement for another ARPG of which I have become disenfranchised with because of continued horrible decisions. I can wait for the release if I enjoy it as I hope I do heh.

Jubal77 on