As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Vault of the Void] Did you pack your backpack properly?

13»

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Curious. The one time I took it (got it on the first elite?) I hatched it a few fights later, and found the damage to be excellent because all three classes are likely to generate vulnerable and rage to some degree. I definitely got some help playing it in Enlightened who could reduce the cost several different ways, but I also hard cast it numerous times to just smack things as needed.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Have beaten normal with monk (shii) and first guy (bleed).
    I like this game, but feel it almost uses turn over turn stacking a bit much. That said, I haven't been able to navigate the other play styles that well. Would love to see more relics as attainable as well.
    With the monk I got the relic that repeats the opener, so zen was stupid easy to hit with even one copy of the attack card.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, as far as relics I feel like there's way too many "Every Xth thing you play is special". Or at least not enough other types of relic to keep them from feeling like too much. My monk run last night one of my choices was between 3 different ones like that.

steam_sig.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It's definitely something I've been bringing up that there's too many count relics. Again! Feeedback on the discord - it is early acess, and people are itnerested. I mean, there'll be push back, but it'll be healthy debate pushback.

Anyway.

This is all @ArcticLancer fault. They asked me to play a seed and welll...

Look, just watch this okay?

It's all ArcticLancer's fault.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Picked this up on Sunday (which was inevitable after catching a Penguin stream weeks back) and just sat down to play it tonight.

I really like it! But that was never really in question.

After the Introduction run, jumped right into a Standard Void run and emerged victorious.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
    Blades are pretty good when you're hitting for 24-30 a turn minimum.

I love the backpack mechanic so much. It's really genius.

steam_sig.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Quick and dirty crashcourse in Void's mechanics:

Cards

You have 20 cards in your deck at all times. You can go over this during combat, and there a type of Affliction (Think curses from StS or similar mechancis) that can be added to your deck, called Void, which will increase it's size until you remove them (So you'll have 20 cards + 1 void card, or the ilk)

You can freely swap cards in and out of your deck at any point that's not during combat. Potions can be added to your deck before a combat, and will automatically go off at the start. You cant use Potions during combat otherwise.

There's a pool of classeless cards that every class has access too, in addition to their class pool. Every class has two subclasses that determine your starting deck, as well as your starting Spell. (More on those later). You're rewarded with one card per fight, and you always know what this card is going to be ahead of time, and can plan your route out based on it. Normal fights will only ever reward a Common or Uncommon, while Elites reward an Uncommon or Rare

Additionally, you can find chests that let you choose 1 of 3 cards to pick, and Booster packs that give you 5 additional cards to add to your backpack. There's also a merchant who sells you cards, letting you buy them for a cheap price, or spend extra to but them upgraded. Finally, the Class trainer exists - by selecting a classes card, you can spend 100 essence to re-roll it into a class card with a pre-socketed Void stone. The more you reroll, the higher the chance this becomes an Uncommon or Rare card (and if you give up a higher rarity classeless card, you'll start with a much higher chance to see an uncommon or rare)

You will never know what Chests, Class Trainer, Card Merchant or Booster packs contain ahead of time, so think carefully about routing to them if it means giving up a card reward you really want.

Finally, the Well of Stars after each boss can offer you the chance to draft X rarity cards from a pool of Y (3? from a pool of ten for uncommons, 2 from a pool of 4 for uncommons, and 1 from a pool of 3 for rares), or a Booster pack with a guaranteed rare.

You draw 5 cards per turn... Minus the amount you're holding in your hand! You never discard cards at the end of a turn, except from a single fight mechanic. Instead, at any time on your turn you can right click a card to Purge it - discarding it and giving you one energy. Some cards have Purge keyword, that gives you another bonus hewn you purge them. Relics can increase the amount of cards you draw. You have no actual maximum handsize. Afflictions and Volatile cards cannot be purged, but will be auto-discarded at the end of turn.

Energy

You have a max of 5 energy by default. You gain 2 energy at the start of every turn, except for your first turn when you gain 3. An important Keyword here is Overcharge. Overcharge does 3 things: One, just being overcharged gives you +1 energy per turn. Two: Every stack of overcharge you have increases the amount of energy you can hold by 1. Three: it ticks down by 1 at the start of every turn, before the rest of it's effects trigger. Overcharge is most easily obtained by using cards with a Purple void stone socketed in them. Some cards care about you being Overcharged.

Void stones!
    You start with one void stone drawn from a pool of six. Red, Yellow, Blue, Purple, Black and Green. Void stone effects resolve at the end of playing a card, not at the start! Do note if i card says Trigger +X, it plays the whole card again, including it's void stone. Every card has 1 slot for a Void stone. Slotting a void stone is permanent - You can replace an already slotted void stone with another, at the cost of destroying the first. Some card rewards come with Void stones pre-slotted.

The Daughter can freely remove and reuse Void stones with no penalty, giving her a great degree of freedom

Red void stones give you 25% Rage. (Every 25% of rage is a 25% damage increase)
    Yellow void stones give you 4 block.
    Blue void stones make you draw one card and discard one card.
    Purple void stones give you overcharge 1
    Black void stones give the card Ghost and Inert. Ghost makes a volatile copy of the card (destroyed when discarded, played or end of the turn, cannot be purged). Inert means the void stone can only trigger once per turn - So your blackstone card will not chain infinitely. (There are cards with Ghost that can be played repeatedly tho! This is just a Black Void stone thing).

Other cards can come with Inert too - some of these loose it when upgraded (Spirit Walk and Ghost walk most notably)

Green Voidstones give the card Rigged. A rigged card starts in your opening hand... and whenever you shuffle your deck, it'll also be drawn into your starting hand (Assuming there's room/it hasnt been removed from play some how).

With the exception of Black and Green stones, you generally want to put Void stones in a card that has Rebound, Ghost, Trigger + X or some other way of being played multiple times a turn. Both The Hidden and the Mindful sub-spec of the Enlighned have cards in their stater kits that do this, which is great.

Cards can also be upgraded. Upgrading very often adds new text to the card, not just a stat increase or cost decrease. This can be new beneficial keywords like adding Rebound or Sift. They can also loose negative keywords like Desynch or Inert. Notably, some cards in this game get MORE expensive to cast when upgraded, so be aware of that. You can see what a card will do when upgraded by holding Ctrl while mousing over it at any time.

Spells

Every subclass starts with their own unique spell that plays into their mechanics some how. In addition, defeating a boss rewards you with a Spell. Finally, you can buy spells from the Spell child merchant, who has his own unique pool of spells to sell you. Spells have a turn based cooldown that persists across fights. You can only ever have one spell equipped at a time, but you can freely swap to another spell outside of combat, even when your existing spell is on cooldown - letting you avoid that cooldown if you wish. Spells can be activated at any point during your turn, and if they require you to make some sort of choice, you can usually cancel them before you commit to them.

Acts

THere's 3 acts to the game. The first two acts involve navigating a hex based grid that collapses as you move across it, preventing you from backtracking (Though you can adopt a zig-zag pattern to maximize hitting a number of tiles). At the end of each act you'll have to fight a boss - you know which boss you're going to fight before the start of an act. Outside of certain Impossible+ modifiers, you full heal after each act.

The third act however is a boss rush - You have to defeat two guardians out of a set of four (drawn from a total pool of six - they're minibosses basically), and then the titular Void. You know which guardians you're getting at the very start of the game! Defeating a guardian also awards you a blessing - there's a pretty large pool of these, and they're randomized as to which guardian gives which each run. Picking which guardians your deck can defeat and which blessings you want is an important art to defeating the boss.

Relics

Relics come in four rarities - Common, Uncommon, Rare and Elite.

Common, Uncommon and Rare can be bought from shops or gained from certain events, or as a reward from the Well of Souls after each boss. Elites however come from fighting Elites... with a twist. Rather than get them after the fight, you get to pick one of three at the start of the fight. You can also get Elite relics from the Cursed Skull event on the map, though this only lets you pick one (or destroy it/drain it for a reward of Souls).

Souls

Souls are a secondary currency in the game. You get 1+ souls from each fight, and Elite fights give you 3. Bosses give you 5. You can spend souls at the Soul Collector merchant (To buy relics or void stones), the Dark Mime event (To clone a card), or the Dark Idol event (to buy an uncommon relic. There are other non-soul choices here too). Any unused souls can be Unleashed when you reach the void, dealing damage to it (The most i've done is 1.5k by unleashing 50+ souls, which is pretty significant given it has under 2k health)

This covers basically everything, except for the nitty gritty of how combat actually works. But the game does a great job of teaching that through it's tutorial and intro mode, and i think it's better to learn by doing here.

(I'll stick this in the OP once i've refined it a little more)

The Zombie Penguin on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

You never discard cards at the end of a turn, except from a single fight mechanic.

... !!!

Oh. I was just so used to StS, Monster Train, and Roguebook that I played as if my hand was gone each turn. Anything I couldn't/wouldn't play got purged. Which really only mattered in a few fights as Hidden where I drew a Buff that would've been nice to play sooner instead of purging off. Ah well, at least I learned.

I really liked The Hidden. Had a fairly silly deck above using Hidden Blades that'd trigger 3-5 times each. It's bleed subdeck was also fun on my Introductory play, but not as funny as getting a Mithril Blades and a Smoke Bomb.

I played one round with Enlightened but lost it to a floor 2 elite. I like how the combat of them feels; but I was missing some good power. Getting Zen was nice but would've really popped off if I had much card draw. As is, getting to Zen and then only playing another two cards with it was powerful, but didn't feel super-strong. I did like the interplay of Future Strike and Shii. Felt really fun to have F-Strike resolve and then two or three of the enemies popped in sequence from Shii stacks. Just need more time with Enlightened to feel them out I think. ... Oh, I just understood something, your hand doesn't discard each turn (yes yes, I already had a thing above about it) but I wasn't internalizing it my analysis here because it was thinking back to play last night, when I did not know that, but that changes the calculus. Zen is going to be easier if you hang onto 1-3 cards and draw more to pop out the next turn. And since Future Strike resolves only every other turn, it lends itself well to some turns being pretty small or setup for the next turn that's much bigger or more explosive. Got It.

Haven't played The Daughter yet, that'll be next run.

steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

You never discard cards at the end of a turn, except from a single fight mechanic.

... !!!

Oh. I was just so used to StS, Monster Train, and Roguebook that I played as if my hand was gone each turn. Anything I couldn't/wouldn't play got purged. Which really only mattered in a few fights as Hidden where I drew a Buff that would've been nice to play sooner instead of purging off. Ah well, at least I learned.

I really liked The Hidden. Had a fairly silly deck above using Hidden Blades that'd trigger 3-5 times each. It's bleed subdeck was also fun on my Introductory play, but not as funny as getting a Mithril Blades and a Smoke Bomb.

I played one round with Enlightened but lost it to a floor 2 elite. I like how the combat of them feels; but I was missing some good power. Getting Zen was nice but would've really popped off if I had much card draw. As is, getting to Zen and then only playing another two cards with it was powerful, but didn't feel super-strong. I did like the interplay of Future Strike and Shii. Felt really fun to have F-Strike resolve and then two or three of the enemies popped in sequence from Shii stacks. Just need more time with Enlightened to feel them out I think. ... Oh, I just understood something, your hand doesn't discard each turn (yes yes, I already had a thing above about it) but I wasn't internalizing it my analysis here because it was thinking back to play last night, when I did not know that, but that changes the calculus. Zen is going to be easier if you hang onto 1-3 cards and draw more to pop out the next turn. And since Future Strike resolves only every other turn, it lends itself well to some turns being pretty small or setup for the next turn that's much bigger or more explosive. Got It.

Yeah I got screwed over the first or second time I left cards in my hand (expecting them to be discarded), so I've remembered that since :D

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

... !!!

It's probably worth noting that Enlightned has some of the strongest recursion in the game thanks to his Vision keyword letting you pop cards straight back on top of your deck. So generally it's better to dig throguh your deck and use Vision to put stuff back as you need than it is to try and hold cards.

But also you know, it depends.

I'm thinking of doing a tutorial stream(s) on each of the characters and their subclasses soon - what sort of stuff would you all like to see? What would be useful?

... !!!

It's probably worth noting that Enlightned has some of the strongest recursion in the game thanks to his Vision keyword letting you pop cards straight back on top of your deck. So generally it's better to dig throguh your deck and use Vision to put stuff back as you need than it is to try and hold cards.

But also you know, it depends.

I'm thinking of doing a tutorial stream(s) on each of the characters and their subclasses soon - what sort of stuff would you all like to see? What would be useful?

Got it. I only saw one card that had Vison on it and it only triggered Vision if I was in Zen. I think it triggered once. Also had very little draw or filter (draw 1/discard 1).

steam_sig.png
    Kicking live a tutorial stream. Gonna aim to do this for all six subclasses. They'll be sort of a "I assume you know the basics" of the game, so i'll be running on impossible, talking about routing etc.

VoD later depending on how long i go for, etc.

Here's the first crack at tutorlaizng. I'm not too happy with this, but hey, first attempt.

Next up is Bleed Hidden.

Do note these are assuming you know the basics of the game - i'm hopefully going to be able to drill in more on "hey, good things to do here" as i go on and get more confident with this.

Also being able to hold cards means sometimes if you have a good cars with rebound on it, if you didn't need to play twice in the same turn, and you didn't need to purge the rebounded one for energy, you can hang on to it, and play it next turn as well.

It's not always desirable compared to playing twice in one turn or purging, but there's definitely been a couple times where my bacon was saved by being able to play that particular card 4 turns in a row.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, that's a powerful part of rebound cards - the way they interact with void stones can be very worthwhile. Sustenance is such a huge piece of utility when you can throw a red, yellow, blue or purple stone into it.
    I also realized that volatile cards only get destroyed when your next turn starts, so a particular set of enemies who care about hand size become slightly more dangerous if you aren't on top of that.

edited July 2021
    And that's a run with The Daughter down.
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
    This deck was really fun to pilot. I got some silly artifact interactions Fractal Feather + Curse of Plenty meant I was getting fairly silly amounts of block. Combine that with Void Coins and I perfected fights that I had no business perfecting for as long as they ran. :biggrin:

Traveler's Cheque and Nest Egg gave me stupid amounts of Void Coins. Last Whispers meant the Cheque was always triggering.

Last Whispers is a fun card, even if I did mess up and accidently copied some enemy afflictions a time or two. Putting a black void stone on it and playing it double was probably unnecessary, especially over upgrading it, but I admit the 3 cost of the Upgrade version turned me away more than the chance of playing 2 twice.

Null and Void was my damage card along with a late Opportunity.

I almost thought I'd lost against the Void but then a double copy of Opportunity hitting for over 130 each finished it out in a surprise ending (I seriously didn't think I had it until I saw how much the first one was going to do.)

I really like the Daughter's kit. Playing with Corruption is fun. Soultithe I'm less familiar with, because it seems a thing that gets more payoff the more cards one has that care about it.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    Soultithe is actually generally easier than corruption, at least IMHO. It's best described as "Set yourself on fire, then nuke everyone".

Grasp is one of the rare cards that gets triple (Quadruple?) scaling - It gets Rage scaling, Vulnerability scaling, works with Deathstrike, and of course, scales with Corruption. There's a bunch of really good, strong Soultithe uncommons as well, and the new version of Tax Evasion is great. The tricky bit is just having an engine that can survive dumping 50+ threat on yourself every turn.

Anyway! Congrats!

edited July 2021
    I was actually thinking about this yesterday, as I had two more corruption daughter runs crash and burn when I couldn't get any reliable damage going. I think one of those is, at least, due to the worst pathing options I've seen so far (I could get the elites, or I could get card upgrades - I could not get both, nor could I get any decent mix of treasures or shrines), but in general her starting deck feels very weak to me, and requires you to quickly get a few cards that will carry you along.
    So I flipped over to Sacrifice and promptly destroyed everything because Sacrifice daughter is so much easier to blow everything up with. Like, there is maybe too much overlap with the two, and Corruption daughter doesn't feel like it stands on its own? It is just not hard to get an explosive amount of corruption built up with Sacrifice.
    p9i2j69sqqco.png
    I got to throw like 30 souls at the void for over 1000 damage. Sure why not?

ArcticLancer on
    Corruption daughter is proving to be a persistent argument on the discord. Some (But def not all) of the really good/experienced players think she's fine, even really good, i'm of the... yyyeah, she's got issues camp. She relies on way too tight ordering of her turns with her default deck. If you know exactly how to order things perfectly, it works out well, but otherwise she's immensely frustrating.

It really doesnt help that her starter kit being basically all abilities (and until we got Void touch changed, everything was abiliteis) means she cant use deathstrike very effectively. There's a notable jump in her performance if your first two actions are to get some kind of death strike into the deck and then upgrade Void Touch so it costs 1.

Which i mean, it's great that Void Touch changed, but she's still somewhat one note compared to everyone else.

I have not managed to accomplish shit with corrupted daughter on anything but normal.

steam_sig.png
    I managed to do something with Corruption Daughter today!

In one fight i had 4 Kingdome Comes in my deck and the ability to make at least two more also in my deck. The void died to a single Kingdom come cast for 1.7k damage, while i had another in hand and a 3rd in the discard.

Anyway! On that subject, it's time for another tutorial stream. Bleed Hidden time!

I beat I47.

...by which i mean i *beat* I47. It was a thrashing. A murder. An out of control steamroller.

I was commentating on it on the discord going "So i dont have a haunted familar yet", which was the only thing holding the deck in check, what with it already having Ghost Walk and My House, My Rules.

Ghost Walk: 1 energy, deal 50 corruption damage, loose 1 corruption, Ghost, Inert. Upgrading it gives it 75% corruption damage and removes the Inert.
    My House, My Rules: Lets you ignore enrgy costs for cards but pay Corruption equal to cost +1.

So that combo alone tends to rapidly run things over. But the deck was pretty slow, because i didnt have much actual corruption generation outside of purging. Tons of discard, but not any real corruption generation that wasnt biffing Unyielding Darkness/Soul Block. The run was still basically over just off having that combo, buut... you know.

First chest of Act 2: Haunted Familiar (And a rare card, but who cares about that).

First elite (We fought) in act 2: Our Father.

Right.

Let's do this thing:

Yeah.

@Tofystedeth @ArcticLancer you wanna know how to corruption daughter? This is how you corruption daughter!

---

Okay, but seriously, tips for Corruption Daughter.

You have (arguably) the best starting spell in the game - Sift 1, gain 1 corruption, and it's a 2 turn cooldown. Right off the bat, this means that having a Void in your deck is a lot less of a hassle, and that's before you put any of the delicious discard syngergy daughter has into things.

Her biggest challenge early on is that she's slow. So, so slow. The best way to fix this is usually to spend your card mastery on grabbing Death's Dance, and then asap use an upgrade on Void Kiss - like if you can get an upgrade point as your starting option? I'd probably slam that. Void kiss upgraded is a 12 damage attack that gives you 2 corruption for 1 energy. Add in Death's dance and it does a lot, lot more (24 damage, 4 corruption for 2 energy, and that's the floor - if you do them on the same turn, it gets the rage benefit).

Void Kiss is very much a crutch card, but it's the crutch to get you through the early act. What you're usually looking to figure out is are you pivoting into Soul Tithe (Lots of attacks are being offered, lots of death strike is being offered, good threshold cards - Death's Touch and Death Blade being notable ones), or if you're staying a more corruption centric approach. Which usually means a discard centric appraoch. Shed alone is a strong argument to go heavy on Void Coins and cards with Sift or Discard keywords on them.

Pay-off wise, you're often looking to get something like Cursed Scythe, Our Father, Turn the Tide, Redirect, My House, My Rules or similar for more corruption based approaches. Ghost Walk is another one that can pay off hugely. With a strong enough discard engine or ways to generate corruption, even Unyielding Darkness is fine - just generate crap tons of block and plink things to death with Unyielding. The above options just speed things up

Fucking laugh ...
    I cleared I13 with corruption daughter. Completely forgot I could de-slot stones, and thus am so pro it hurts. :P Pretty sure I had my lowest score to date on this run just because it was relatively slow and regularly went to turn 7 or 8.
    While I agree her starting spell is a delight, I think she's my least favourite of the starter decks. Some thoughts I'll probably take to the discord, but I think what rubs me wrong about the archtype is that you rely heavily on early finds to get any real mileage out of rage or death strike. Yes, Void Kiss is a huge crutch, and when upgraded is a great death strike trigger, but the damage falls off pretty heavily and you need to have found other things in the meantime. In any case, it just feels bad that her default kit barely interacts with half of her keywords since you can write off threshold too unless you find some quality soultithe. It's just a more extreme gulf than either of the other classes.

I'm live for a while, tooling around on Impossible, and then i might move to an I50 something run!

So i did a sort of tutorial on Sacrifice Daughter at impossible at the dev's request. Please ignore the bit where i get distracted testing what i think is a bug because i cant read card text for shit. That's the full hour and a half VoD there!

Some fun stuff in there showing how you can get away with very, very few block cards if you're producing block in other ways, while also just obliterating things using Bloodbath and Opportunity. Also Quick Smith/Bloody Ledger shenanigans.

And i also beat down i53 finally, with a very neat Blade Hidden deck that used and abused the hell out of Swift Hand. Also card draw. So much card draw. Just a very very neat deck this one. Link just leads to me styling on the Void, as is right and proper.

PATCH DAAAAAAAY

I've been helping test this stuff behind the scenes and it's very cool

You should all give it a go, and also be posting about this game more, don't make me carry this thread alone!

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I am so glad I sent you a link to this game! It sounds like you're really getting into the community, man

Whelk wrote: »
    I am so glad I sent you a link to this game! It sounds like you're really getting into the community, man

I'm pretty active in the discord for it, and i'm streaming it regularly (And am... one of the few if only streamers who do?). It's such a gem of a game, it deserves it's 97% postive!? on steam for sure.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    This game is super fun, I've done a few runs so far and it's definitely up there with Slay the Spire / Monster Train in terms of polish and mechanics.

Sucks that it doesn't seem to be very popular, it's very good.

I had a Hard Tempest run that was going very well that just...died to spider nest...whoops

Steam: Spawnbroker
    This game is super fun, I've done a few runs so far and it's definitely up there with Slay the Spire / Monster Train in terms of polish and mechanics.

Sucks that it doesn't seem to be very popular, it's very good.

I had a Hard Tempest run that was going very well that just...died to spider nest...whoops

Definitely leave a review on steam! It helps. I suspect a lot of it's lack of popularity is just down to marketing - given it's a one man team (Well, one developer, one designer now, and the rest of us loons who help out on the internal test) - Ther'es just not a lot of resoruces dedicated to actually marketing the thing. I haven't seen any big review sites pick it up, or similar. Also stop by the offical discord and tell Josh you love it - he's a friendly chap who loves the feedback.

It is also a lot to get into - it's very "you have near perfect information" approach also means it's overwhelming. Flipside is that once you get gud you can easily maintain a 100% winrate at impossible, and probably all the way up to I30 it's possible to win every run. But i can see it being a lot to get into turning people off, even if i think the only game in this sphere (That i've played) that is as good/better is Slay the Spire (I have very dim views of Monster Train, and Roguebook left me actively disgusted past a certain point)

On the guardians: Yeah, spider nest is brutal. A good trick is if you know it's coming up, save some explosive potions or crippling potions - 3 explosive potions will one shot the fight, as will two and a crippling.