As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Bad Lip Reading is really good at making bangers, but in addition to this being one, I really like the spooky vibe of this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfqyNYu6khw

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Graham: The only crash-proof human 4:46
    https://youtu.be/vfEPVqJHAe0

Man i almost killed myself watching this video, don't watch in the middle of the night

Peas on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    You may not like it, but Graham is what peak human performance looks like.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I- hmm

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

Its...time...to...play...

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The image is no longer available is definitely very scary!

• Options
    I am deeply uncomfortable that the demon dog is no longer where I can see it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    okay so you know how in Harry Potter, a boggart takes the form whatever scares you to, y'know, scare you? they have that lesson where they learn the spell that gets rid of them, but it hops out as their greatest fear first.

you think they ever had a totally fucked up kid take that little test and from out of the cabinet comes the 5th-dimensional form of One Beyond Time and it just drives the whole class incurably insane?

edit: some muggleborn's parents let them watch Event Horizon over the summer and the boggart comes out as the murder orgy clip

Depressperado on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    okay so you know how in Harry Potter, a boggart takes the form whatever scares you to, y'know, scare you? they have that lesson where they learn the spell that gets rid of them, but it hops out as their greatest fear first.

you think they ever had a totally fucked up kid take that little test and from out of the cabinet comes the 5th-dimensional form of One Beyond Time and it just drives the whole class incurably insane?

edit: some muggleborn's parents let them watch Event Horizon over the summer and the boggart comes out as the murder orgy clip

Thinking of the bit where the boggart takes the form of Snape for some girl, and nobody comments on it. A teenager's literal worst fear is an adult member of the school staff, and apparently no one thinks this is concerning.

I wonder how often the boggart looks like some kid's family member, etc., and whether Hogwarts has a procedure in place for when it does.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I wonder how often some kids had a ill-timed nightmare and went to cry to mom, then seven years later hey ho it's bogart day and everyone in class gets to see his parents doing the wheelbarrow

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Thinking of the bit where the boggart takes the form of Snape for some girl, and nobody comments on it. A teenager's literal worst fear is an adult member of the school staff, and apparently no one thinks this is concerning.

I wonder how often the boggart looks like some kid's family member, etc., and whether Hogwarts has a procedure in place for when it does.

Wizard world is dog shit

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    I behold the boggart.

It turns into me doing what it would take to reach my full potential.

The boggart gets a well-paying job that satisfies it professionally. I keep up the house and cook meals for us. In the evening, we watch TV together. We like all the same shows.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I behold the boggart.

The boggart gets a well-paying job that satisfies it professionally. I keep up the house and cook meals for us. In the evening, we watch TV together. We like all the same shows.

I once had a dream/nightmare to this effect. In the dream, I was watching a TV screen but somehow knew it was a camera feed of a room where alternative-universe-me lived. In frame was only some furniture, but I could feel that this version of me lived a more luxurious and satisfied life. I could hear the distant sound of someone speaking off camera and I knew I would appear on camera soon, but I desperately did not want to see myself. I was filled with absolute dread at seeing this perfect version of myself. I woke up before I did.

I tried to write this dread and the idea of seeing a more perfect version of yourself into a short story, but I wasn't able to get the atmosphere right.it came off as light and comedic, and I have no idea how to infuse my writing with dread.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    The most depressing and frightening apocalypse/dystopia is a world where everything gets worse and everyone has worse and worse luck over time.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    The most depressing and frightening apocalypse/dystopia is a world where everything gets worse and everyone has worse and worse luck over time.

Oh so this one

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I am deeply uncomfortable that the demon dog is no longer where I can see it.
    But Jedoc....the image I posted didn't have a dog....

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Worst is relative. A carefree kid with no phobias, no adult problems, no exposure to harsh realities, maybe the scariest thing in their life is mild discipline from a teacher.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It was Neville you know the kid with parents who were tortured to insanity which makes Snape even worsr because normal shit probably doesnt phase him at all.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

Worst is relative. A carefree kid with no phobias, no adult problems, no exposure to harsh realities, maybe the scariest thing in their life is mild discipline from a teacher.

I mean, Snape is canonically a dick who bullies students just because he doesn't like them.

Also I forgot that was Neville. And I guess the real answer is "Magic; don't think too hard about it" :razz:

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Wrong thread

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    I've been listening to TheVolgun Youtube channel, a channel dedicated to performing SCP articles, and I'm damn impressed with the production quality and voice work on display.

Like when I saw he was going to do the Tupac article, I figured he'd just read out the lyrics or whatnot, because it's not like you can get Tupac to record the songs from that article.

Of course he got an amazing Tupac sound-alike to record rap songs in the style of Tupac, as well as a separate voice actor to do the interview at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K27ZVCKCPc8

He also came up with an in-universe way to present a lecture on an SCP you aren't allowed to describe with words - SCP-2521

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4_o4fjfY-A

Those are more on the "fun" side of SCP than the scary side, but he does an equally impressive job on the scary ones.

SCP-3004: Imago comes to mind
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-3nbnbEHzQ

His dramatic presentation of SCP-001 (Tufto's Proposal) is also quite chilling:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvD0cty6TPM

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    that Tupac one is wild

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

I was thinking about this comic a few days ago and, lo and behold, the artist retweeted it!

HeadCreeps on
    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    'ร่างทรง' THE MEDIUM (RANG ZONG) 1:52
    https://youtu.be/XStLMJu0fI4
    Warning: Scary

Been a while since the last thai horror movie, if you don't mind minor spoilers watch the trailer to the end

• Options
    The Volgun's most recent SCP video is very good, it reminds me a little of Local58:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh_GCH7kc4Q

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I want a nice coffee table book of SCPs.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I just started reading through the various SCPs again, I'm going in order because I am crazy

especially because there are a lot more now, and also because there's a bunch of fiction written about SCP stuff as well

edit: https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-087 one of the classics and also pretty much exactly a nightmare that I've had since I was a kid.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    That's still my favorite because it's the first SCP I ever read. I stumbled across it while working a solo evening shift in the government documents department, and then I got off work at midnight and had to walk back to my dorm across an empty campus.

Five star spooksville, would recommend.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    087 is the only SCP that has literally kept me up at night.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I was like, “is that the staircase one?”

*Clicks link*

yuppppppp

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I found SCP through here and a lot of the newer ones are really good! That bigfoot one is still there though and its baffling

• Options
    edited August 2021
    The only problem with 087 is that I can’t read Exploration IV. It makes it sound like serious shit went down in that one and I want to know what! The teases.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I found SCP through here and a lot of the newer ones are really good! That bigfoot one is still there though and its baffling

What is your problem with scp-1000?

It's not going anywhere, it's one of the highest rated articles on the site.

• Options
    I thought the story behind SCP-1000 was pretty good, myself. The initial description is dumb, then the classified portion of the entry makes it worthwhile.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    SCP-055 is not bad.

Or round.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I know it's cliche at this point, but 93 is probably one of my favorites. 5031, 1733, 2935, and 3001 are all popular classics.

I recommend the Antimemetics Division hub, and the End of Death hub.

For lighter fare the "dado" and "Gamers Against Weed" SCPs & tales can be really fun. Also, 2966 is silly yet existentially horrifying, which is *chefs kiss.*

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »

What is your problem with scp-1000?

It's not going anywhere, it's one of the highest rated articles on the site.

Its dumb and not scary.
    Thats all

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    SCP-1000 has had a few articles use it which help ramp up the creep factor

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I behold the boggart.

I once had a dream/nightmare to this effect. In the dream, I was watching a TV screen but somehow knew it was a camera feed of a room where alternative-universe-me lived. In frame was only some furniture, but I could feel that this version of me lived a more luxurious and satisfied life. I could hear the distant sound of someone speaking off camera and I knew I would appear on camera soon, but I desperately did not want to see myself. I was filled with absolute dread at seeing this perfect version of myself. I woke up before I did.

I tried to write this dread and the idea of seeing a more perfect version of yourself into a short story, but I wasn't able to get the atmosphere right.it came off as light and comedic, and I have no idea how to infuse my writing with dread.

You write short sentences. Short ones. Pointed ones. Like this. But then you build it back up. Not too quickly, but just enough to feel the quickening breath, the inevitability of it all, and you just keep going. Perhaps you’ll pose a question left unanswered? Say something mundane after; about how you’re reading this post. Cut it short again. Get in close. Talk about the feeling of your own breath. Write short sentences. Then let it all burst out, the sudden rush of something terrible that can’t be placed, even if it’s foolish, here you are, checking behind you, wondering where this poster is typing from and why, why? What purpose does this post even serve. Who… does it serve? Short sentence. Rest… or pretend to… for now.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I want a nice coffee table book of SCPs.

Funny, cause there was an indiegogo for just that within the last year or so. I'm expecting my copies in the mail any day now.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra