As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is such a Quiet Thing, to [Chat]. But far more terrible is to admit it.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Did they ever explain in the matrix how kids work? Like, when a couple in the matrix fucks and gets pregnant, do the robots actually test tube a kid with those specific genetics, or do they just say "hell with it" and pick two randos out of seven billion?

Also those robots are super dumb. Like 90% of the world never leaves it's backyard. You could just run smaller, slightly worse quality simulations for groups of 10,000 or so and no one would ever notice and your energy efficiency would skyrocket.

Neil Gaiman wrote a short story that very neatly addressed this. That the power they need is processing power, distributed learning. And the simulation has several lifetimes happening in short succession roughly 40 years in 10 minutes and they run folks through it birth to death over and over and the stock isn’t discarded.

Also the Wachowskis originally wanted to go in the distributed learning direction, but there was a thought that Americans would be too stupid to understand it.

Yeah cause the Matrix was all "humans generate heat, heat is power" and like, fucking plants generate biofuel.... just nuke us all and use solar till shit's growable again.

I want a really good AI movie where the humans have been wiped out, and the AI is just cycling along, honestly kinda bored, and then THEY get attacked by Aliens.

That was a good video game, I need to replay it.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mom has this infuriating thing where she will spend the call talking about things and people I don't give a shit about, or asking me to do incredibly minor things

Then as the call is ending sometimes literally as I'm saying goodbye, she'll go "oh by the way" and tell me the MOST IMPORTANT thing that should have gone first.

"Oh by the way my one eye had a big flash"
    "Oh by the way I haven't been able to get out of bed all day"
    Etc

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I gotta read more Gaiman. I've read American Gods and seen his episode of Doctor Who and his stuff is good, it's just a little more dense than I like. I'm a big fan of books that are written like episodes of a tv show, where I can knock out 2-3 a week.

I'm also weird in that I only add like 10 new books a year to my reading list and just re-read 50-60 out of my existing collection.

I would say most of his novels are pretty light and breezy. Would highly recommend Good Omens. Also worth reading are Stardust, Neverwhere, Odd and the Frost Giants, The Graveyard Book.

Any audiobooks which he narrates are well worth getting as he is quite good at that.

Ocean at the End of the Lane is also very good (and short).

Sandman, obviously.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    My mom can be terrible with this kind of rambly "remember so-and-so" story but this discussion just make me feel like this is another plus of growing up in the city because there's way less of an assumption that you know anyone around you. At best you get "that person you went to school with" but even then it's once in a blue moon because odds are your parents will never run into anyone related to anyone you've ever known in their day to day lives.

I remember my Mom once being like "Remember <insert name here> that you went to school with? I met her at the store." and I was like "Yeah, I recall the name. She acted like I was vaguely disgusting to interact with and we basically never talked more then we absolutely had to even though we were in the same classes for like 10 years. So I don't give a shit.".

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I'm writing some code for some raspberry pi-powered wall art I made (actually the LED back panel for the 3D printed map if you remember that), and I wanted to get some live weather and use it to change the way things look. Maybe display the outside temperature!

NWS, the US national weather service, has a REST API that returns json weather data. I checked it out and the format was sane, the servers were snappy, it could fetch weather by GPS coordinates, and it didn't even require an API key. Actually very cool!

After spending 2 days upgrading my raspberry pi, resolving dependencies, and coding up a C++ app that can access HTTPS resources and parse json, I have discovered that this API is totally halfassed, has been in beta since 2016, and frequently stops getting fresh weather observations for weeks at a time due to caching misconfigurations on the back end that they still haven't resolved in 5 years.

for fuck's sake

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm writing some code for some raspberry pi-powered wall art I made (actually the LED back panel for the 3D printed map if you remember that), and I wanted to get some live weather and use it to change the way things look. Maybe display the outside temperature!

NWS, the US national weather service, has a REST API that returns json weather data. I checked it out and the format was sane, the servers were snappy, it could fetch weather by GPS coordinates, and it didn't even require an API key. Actually very cool!

After spending 2 days upgrading my raspberry pi, resolving dependencies, and coding up a C++ app that can access HTTPS resources and parse json, I have discovered that this API is totally halfassed, has been in beta since 2016, and frequently stops getting fresh weather observations for weeks at a time due to caching misconfigurations on the back end that they still haven't resolved in 5 years.

for fuck's sake

Sounds like someone's pet project that doesn't get updated because there's not actually anyone assigned to it.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    On the plus side this header-only C++ HTTP/HTTPS library kicks fuckin ass and isn't even a CURL wrapper like all the other ones: https://github.com/yhirose/cpp-httplib

You can make C++ apps with HTTP/S clients or servers with about 5 lines of code, minimal dependencies, and a clean modern API.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

for fuck's sake

There was a free weather rest service I used for a project a while back. I can send you the link when I get home later.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yes, "supervised" self driving is a crock of shit. It's grossly irresponsible if you take into account human nature at all. You either need a system that's at least safe unsupervised or needs constant actual human input (e.g.: it doesn't steer for you). Anything else ought to be illegal.

Gotta say, I've been shitposting a LOT while driving on the highway with LKAS/ACC and it's g r e a t

I read this post and i m m e d i a t e l y went in search of the big argument I expected this to cause

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We found someone selling a piano for essentially come-remove-it bucks and checked with BIL and it's was apparently a good enough make that he was like "stop talking to me and buy it right now".

We also found a designer dinner table for $150 that usually sells for $1000 used.

Good week for deals it is.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

for fuck's sake

There was a free weather rest service I used for a project a while back. I can send you the link when I get home later.

hey send that to me too pls.

I've been looking up stuff on DIY weather stations with raspi for the farm.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Yes, "supervised" self driving is a crock of shit. It's grossly irresponsible if you take into account human nature at all. You either need a system that's at least safe unsupervised or needs constant actual human input (e.g.: it doesn't steer for you). Anything else ought to be illegal.

Gotta say, I've been shitposting a LOT while driving on the highway with LKAS/ACC and it's g r e a t

I read this post and i m m e d i a t e l y went in search of the big argument I expected this to cause

I mean, you shouldn't do this, it's 100% illegal, but honestly it's probably quite safe, at least for the other drivers. Maybe not for you depending on which system it is.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

I mean, you shouldn't do this, it's 100% illegal, but honestly it's probably quite safe, at least for the other drivers. Maybe not for you depending on which system it is.

brb gotta dodge a semi

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    This whole thing is batshit:
    https://youtu.be/K7hJXJREcfw

• Options
    In my experience with one system LKAS works great until that once in a while you have to wrangle the wheel when the car wants to turn aggressively while on a straight road.

It also sirens constantly while engaging.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    This whole thing is batshit:
    https://youtu.be/K7hJXJREcfw

That "might be" is doing some heavy lifting.

• Options
    Anyone willingly investing in MBS projects should be exiled and stripped of their belongings.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I mean the solar desalinization plans look interesting but the rest of it is very "I'll believe it when I see it".

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    v7gqbv4eah63.png

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Spoiled for butts:
    92l1f0cne4gj.png
    why

Winky on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    My friend is bringing spam.

Yaaaaas. Spam mac n’ cheese in my tum tum tonight

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    why
    92l1f0cne4gj.png
    why

Oof that dude is not stacked in the back

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Spoiled for butts:
    92l1f0cne4gj.png
    why

lol I literally have these

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    went to take a leak and the park bathroom smells like lemon and eucalyptus

the taxes are outrageous but stuff is nice here, dammit

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I just heard about this and lol he ain't wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE-pzE14ZX0

• Options
    I mean the solar desalinization plans look interesting but the rest of it is very "I'll believe it when I see it".

I think the video takes the right approach in examining the individual technological promises on their own instead of going "wow long city good/bad".

• Options
    The thing I love the most in the software for my raspberry pi wall art is that it has integrated NOVAS support with some classes I wrote to make it easier to deal with.

There's an "Astronomy" class that you can ask for the position of the sun, moon, or any of like a thousand other astronomical bodies, relative to any other astronomical body, at any time point. Usually I'm asking relative to a GPS point on the earth's surface.

It's only reasonably accurate for times 5000 years to either side of now, but that's ok I think. Maybe we'll improve accuracy for version 2.0.

But what's cool is given that info you can extrapolate sunrise, sunset, day length, sun angle, the tides, how good stargazing will be, what stars are out, where the planets are in the sky, moon phases, how to paint sunlight/moonlight on to a globe. All without an internet connection or any external services. It's v cool!

And then any of that can be painted to the screen with any visual you can think up.

The current one is pretty simple but I like it a lot. It's just the sun and moon as waveforms.

Detail:
    0yp5j8zsnew9.jpg

Zoomed out a little:
    3z34os40f84e.jpg

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

look man if I'm gonna drive an hour and a half to my inlaws or my folks damned if I'm not going to browse r/gundeals on the way

I mean it's cornfields on either side for the middle 70 minutes

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    FYI it is absolutely impossible to photograph LED displays and come out with anything that looks remotely correct. Those photos are colorbalanced as best I could but it does not convey the depth or vibrancy of the colors well. The photos over-emphasize the "dotty" look of it. It's p striking in person.

• Options
    What's a good pithy term for "rule by liars"

Like "lieocracy" only preferably with more Greek

Pseudocracy?

• Options

Pseudocracy?

Pseudarchy may be more appropriate

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Spoiled for butts:
    92l1f0cne4gj.png
    why

The young folk cling to the simple pleasures they are allowed by the old folk.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Pseudocracy?

Polis propaganda

• Options
    Antialtheiarchy?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Spoiled for butts:
    92l1f0cne4gj.png
    why

Everyone has butts, Aioua.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Spoiled for butts:
    92l1f0cne4gj.png
    why

Everyone has butts, Aioua.

ha

gotteeeeeeeem

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Pseudocracy?
    I assume cryptarchy has already been considered and rejected?

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I know nobody but me will ever use the code for that raspberry pi thing, but if I ever move or change timezones, all I have to do is pop out its SD card, change the "home" GPS coordinates in a config text file in there, power it back on, and it'll snap to the right time and the right waveforms for the sun and moon locations for my new location. Same with the wifi it uses to get the current time: config files on the SD card.

It's also stable over time, and has survived 3 years of continuous running so its basically a hardened commercial product. It could probably be mass produced and sold.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    I was curious why it's democracy not demarchy so I looked it up and -archy means "rule by" while -ocracy means "strength of"

So to return to Winky's musing it comes down to whether you want to describe the strength of lies or the fact that lies rule.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    DK what is that display?

A matrix of RGB LEDs?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
This discussion has been closed.