As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Croup is so fucking scary sounding. They should really make all soon-to-be parents watch a video on it. My daughter got it at around 12 months and I've never driven faster than I did that night.

We get in and they're like"yeah that's croup" and got her admitted and she was good to go shortly after. I 100% thought I was going to lose her that night.

Every time we see it happen we now do the shower thing and take them outside (if it's cold) and then schedule a visit to their pediatrician the next day.

My youngest is going to start going to day care very soon. Not looking forward to the germs she will be bringing home.

urahonky on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    My mother-in-law keeps saying "it sounds kind of croup-y" when one of the kids gets a bad cough. And I keep repeating, "No, it doesn't. If you aren't for sure it's the croup, it's probably not the croup. If it is the croup, it won't sound 'kind' like the croup."

I wonder if her kids ever actually had the croup. Mine have only had it one time between the two, and my youngest is about out of the age range that it affects. But even with just the one time about 7-8 years ago, I can tell you I'd know it if I heard it.

• Options
    And I just got an email from the (day) summer camp saying they've had a case of Respiratory Syncytial Virus, which is one of the things that cause croup.

• Options
    knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    5 year old son fell off a miniature pony and broke a bone in his arm last Wednesday afternoon. I took him to the hospital and we stayed there overnight so they could put pins in and put his cast on Thursday morning. He’s been a trooper though, and it could have been worse.

My heart sank when the ER doctor told me he was going to need surgery, even though it was very minor.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    My mother-in-law keeps saying "it sounds kind of croup-y" when one of the kids gets a bad cough. And I keep repeating, "No, it doesn't. If you aren't for sure it's the croup, it's probably not the croup. If it is the croup, it won't sound 'kind' like the croup."

I wonder if her kids ever actually had the croup. Mine have only had it one time between the two, and my youngest is about out of the age range that it affects. But even with just the one time about 7-8 years ago, I can tell you I'd know it if I heard it.

She only has to be right once to lord it over you forever.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

She only has to be right once to lord it over you forever.

Yeah, but with this, she won't be right. Croup sounds like croup. It doesn't sound like a cough.

• Options
    knight11e wrote: »
    5 year old son fell off a miniature pony and broke a bone in his arm last Wednesday afternoon. I took him to the hospital and we stayed there overnight so they could put pins in and put his cast on Thursday morning. He’s been a trooper though, and it could have been worse.

My heart sank when the ER doctor told me he was going to need surgery, even though it was very minor.

Yeah the surgery words is very scary when it's your kid involved. Hope he pulls through quickly.

• Options

Croup makes them sound like barking dogs. It's so scary sounding. They sound like they're just struggling to breathe and oh man... Ugh. Never hope to hear that sound again.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Croup makes them sound like barking dogs. It's so scary sounding. They sound like they're just struggling to breathe and oh man... Ugh. Never hope to hear that sound again.

Like barking, asthmatic dogs breathing through a Darth Vader mic.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Croup is so fucking scary sounding. They should really make all soon-to-be parents watch a video on it. My daughter got it at around 12 months and I've never driven faster than I did that night.

We get in and they're like"yeah that's croup" and got her admitted and she was good to go shortly after. I 100% thought I was going to lose her that night.

Every time we see it happen we now do the shower thing and take them outside (if it's cold) and then schedule a visit to their pediatrician the next day.

My youngest is going to start going to day care very soon. Not looking forward to the germs she will be bringing home.

Oh man, we took our eldest to Mexico a few weeks before he turned 2 (so he could fly for free), and he got croup our 1st or 2nd night at the resort. Fun times.

Fortunately, the resort had an on site medical clinic, and they arranged for us to go to a care center where he got good care. Fully agree on how horrible the sound is.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

Sprocket had croup when she was like 8 months old or so.

They had to take chest xrays. 8 month old kids don't like to lay still, so they had to strap her to a board with big foam blocks on her sides and her arms strapped straight up over her head so she couldn't move. She looked so frightened, like she couldn't figure out why we'd done this to her. All the while she was strapped to that board, screaming and crying and coughing that croup cough and looking terrified. I will never ever forget the way she looked or how I felt.

I think that's the worst moment I've had as a parent.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I guess at least when Sapling had to have her cleft palate surgery, we handed her over to a nurse and didn't get to see her again until she was in the recovery room. I mean, it was absolutely terrifying, trying to watch the board for any changes in status, but at least we didn't have to engage in any of her actual discomfort.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Burpette's croup wasn't that bad by comparison to these stories. She was a bit ill in the usual non specific toddler way and we popped to see an out of hours doctor and she had some steroids and that was that. I'd not even heard of it before. Sounds like we got off super lightly.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Damn, I think I’d suppressed that croup cough sound but I can totally hear it in my mind. I was pretty freaked out by it but our boy got nebulizer treatments two days in a row and was fine afterwards.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Anyone got a recommendation for a furniture safety strap? Is a drywall anchor enough or do I want something that goes into a stud? Got some bookshelves I need to secure and since baby is on the way I figured I might as well do it all.

Given how much the baby is kicking now I figure I’m really in for it. She of course refused to show her face during the anatomy scan. Nice and strong heartbeat. Seems like she is going to be a tall kid, her legs were very long. She was constantly moving, it took the tech 20 minutes just to measure het weight because she would never stop moving.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Anyone got a recommendation for a furniture safety strap? Is a drywall anchor enough or do I want something that goes into a stud? Got some bookshelves I need to secure and since baby is on the way I figured I might as well do it all.

Given how much the baby is kicking now I figure I’m really in for it. She of course refused to show her face during the anatomy scan. Nice and strong heartbeat. Seems like she is going to be a tall kid, her legs were very long. She was constantly moving, it took the tech 20 minutes just to measure het weight because she would never stop moving.

For something heavy like that I would probably just get a small angle bracket/corner brace and put wood screws into a stud and down into the top of the bookcase. Straps and drywall anchors are just making it more pieces to fail for a weaker solution.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Stud is best of course but two good anchors will be fine too. Could do those toggle bolts if it's a big piece.

Our view is that anything is better than nothing, and nothing is 100% infallible.

Based on them unable to deliver stuff people pay for, it may take awhile but IKEA has free kits:
    https://info.ikea-usa.com/secureitkits/en-us?_gl=1*1ti5usc*_ga*NDA4NDQ3NTk1LjE2MjcyNzMzNzk.*_ga_2C6JW2E38D*MTYyNzQ4MzE1Mi40LjAuMTYyNzQ4MzE1Mi42MA..&_ga=2.226967389.173266409.1627483153-408447595.1627273379

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Stud is best of course but two good anchors will be fine too. Could do those toggle bolts if it's a big piece.

Our view is that anything is better than nothing, and nothing is 100% infallible.

Based on them unable to deliver stuff people pay for, it may take awhile but IKEA has free kids your can request:
    https://info.ikea-usa.com/secureitkits/en-us?_gl=1*1ti5usc*_ga*NDA4NDQ3NTk1LjE2MjcyNzMzNzk.*_ga_2C6JW2E38D*MTYyNzQ4MzE1Mi40LjAuMTYyNzQ4MzE1Mi42MA..&_ga=2.226967389.173266409.1627483153-408447595.1627273379

If you’re like us, and your landlord won’t let you fit wall anchors, you can also put doors on your IKEA bookshelves, making them unclimbable. Or so we hope.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Based on them unable to deliver stuff people pay for, it may take awhile but IKEA has free kids your can request:

If you’re like us, and your landlord won’t let you fit wall anchors, you can also put doors on your IKEA bookshelves, making them unclimbable. Or so we hope.

Ah no. This makes them easier to tip over as now they can open the door and have greater leverage. Just bolt them to the wall and fill the holes when you leave

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Also, if the door has a handle, that's just a leverage point for a small child. Any TVs you have should also be mounted or attached to the wall with an anti-tip kit.

Ultimately, if it costs you your damage deposit, that's still a small price to pay.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Corvus wrote: »
    Also, if the door has a handle, that's just a leverage point for a small child. Any TVs you have should also be mounted or attached to the wall with an anti-tip kit.

Ultimately, if it costs you your damage deposit, that's still a small price to pay.

Honestly we figured we’d just move.

ETA: We really did think about putting screws in, patching up and eating the damage deposit. But have heard from other units that there may be asbestos in the walls, and we do not want to find that out for sure, at least not the hard way. We're looking to get out in a few months anyway, just keeping an eye on our little speed racer until then.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Honestly we figured we’d just move.

ETA: We really did think about putting screws in, patching up and eating the damage deposit. But have heard from other units that there may be asbestos in the walls, and we do not want to find that out for sure, at least not the hard way. We're looking to get out in a few months anyway, just keeping an eye on our little speed racer until then.

If you're worried about asbestos but you still want to secure them.. well, that kinda sucks. The best case really is to just make damn sure you hit a stud.

About the landlord, better to ask forgiveness than permission. :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    If you're running a #8 wood screw without a drywall anchor, the hole will be very small... a small tub of spackle and they'll never see it if your walls are white. It'd be able to be touched up with a tissue and the right paint otherwise.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    When do kids start to understand games with rules? Our just-barely-four-year-old hasn't shown much continued interest in board-game-esque stuff that have actual rules to them. Theoretically some of these are supposed to be for kids, I'm not talking grown-up games :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    When do kids start to understand games with rules? Our just-barely-four-year-old hasn't shown much continued interest in board-game-esque stuff that have actual rules to them. Theoretically some of these are supposed to be for kids, I'm not talking grown-up games :P

There are cooperative board games by Peaceable Kingdom that my kids enjoyed very young. All the players work together rather than compete so it is less divisive than games can be otherwise to young children.

• Options

You definitely have to start out small, and co-operative can help. Richard Scarry’s Busytown (also re-implemented as Disney Eye Found It board game (not card game)) is a good place to start. It's easy enough for them to follow. Also, Monster Chase is another good one for 3+, as long as you don't hate Memory-style games, which is the core. Outfoxed! is another good co-op for very young kids, that you can keep playing as they get older (though it gets old at about 8 or 9). They'll get better at being more help to the team, but they can have fun being just along for the ride.

Starting at 4/5, Dragomino is a great competitive game. There's a lot of luck involved without it feeling totally random, so kids can beat adults quite often. At about 6 or 7, your options really start opening up.

But there's a lot of stuff kids can just have fun doing before that, even if they're not exactly playing to win. I started playing Via Magica with my daughter when she was about 5 1/2, and she just enjoys it. Also, kids vary a lot. My ASD superbrain son played a lot more complicated games earlier than my daughter. He also enjoyed dexterity games such as Catacombs Conquest (though I would hold off until about 7-8 for that one). And now he's just turned 10 and likes to play Ticket to Ride (the real one, as he's poo-pooed the First Journey one as being too easy!), Istanbul Dice, My First Scythe, Mancala, Catacombs Cubes, etc.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    My 3 yr old loves Candyland. And we also have a ladybug memory game he's really into. Chutes and Ladders he was less into (but liked the spinner), I think because the board we have is a little too crowded.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    We started with dinosaur rescue and sneaky snacky squirrel. Now the favorites are Dixit, Kids Catan, Labyrinth, Zingo and Monster Bingo.

• Options

My big kid there was a big difference between 4 and 5. He’s now super into games but didn’t care at 4.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Depending on the level of coordination of your child, Rhino Hero - Super Battle is a good game with 'rules' that don't feel too onerous because you get to build a skyscraper and then see it collapse. It's also super easy to fudge, help them build, or throw the game and let them win. Bonus: Doubles as a good party/drinking game.

We also got good milage out of My First Carcassonne (Inspired by but doesn't quite play like super-simplified Carcassonne), and Outfoxed (a sort of co-op mix of Clue and Guess Who).

Later on we liked Pyramid of Pengqueen (a neat asymmetric 1vMany mechanic) and Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters (Which weirdly reminds me of Pandemic).

Cog on
  • Options
    Because our apartment is still from the 80’s, and so are the appliances, we have one of those oven doors you pull down - and the whole front of the oven goes down as a door.

Not wanting our ridiculous child to hurt himself on this, we got an oven lock - some 3m tape backing, and a latch that gives over the flat part of the door, to stop it opening.

Excellent.

Child crawls over to the oven today, hauls himself up to standing, and hangs off the door handle.

Does the door lock stop this? Does it bollocks. It pops right off the oven door, and the whole thing yaws downward.

Between that and the cupboard ties that he was able to untie…why is baby proofing stuff so bad?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Wait.. you pull on the oven door and it swings downward?

What other kind of oven is there?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Wait.. you pull on the oven door and it swings downward?

What other kind of oven is there?

You pull on the oven door and it swings left to right. Harder for tiny people to do, and also harder for them to fall.

ETA example: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8261858?clickPR=plp:14:69

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Huh. Never really seen that. Maybe in smaller proofing/finishing ovens that are mounted more counter height.

But yeah all safety stuff is bad.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    We solved that by baby gating the kitchen until she was old enough not to need it anymore.

• Options
    We solved that by baby gating the kitchen until she was old enough not to need it anymore.

Due to the landlord renovating this into “open concept” by ripping out a doorframe and sliding doors, there is no baby gate large enough to block off one of the accesses to the kitchen area. I looked, at length.

It is…upsetting.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular

Yeah, it was definitely easier to just gate the kitchen than to try to babyproof everything in it.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Due to the landlord renovating this into “open concept” by ripping out a doorframe and sliding doors, there is no baby gate large enough to block off one of the accesses to the kitchen area. I looked, at length.

It is…upsetting.

Hmm, yeah that's tougher.

You could try doing what I did with my ferrets: 8'x6' sheet of high quality particle board split down the middle to two 8'x3' strips at the hardware store and then cut to size once I got them home. I was able to use long adhesive velcro strips for the ferrets but you'd want something a little more sturdy for tiny humans.

• Options

It is…upsetting.

What about this?

Regalo 192-Inch Super Wide Gate and Play Yard, White https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003VNKLIY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_Q6HRG7W6HNR678FK43MV

• Options
    edited August 2021

It is…upsetting.

What about this?

Regalo 192-Inch Super Wide Gate and Play Yard, White https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B003VNKLIY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_Q6HRG7W6HNR678FK43MV

We’ve got a couple of the smaller Regalo’s blocking out our stairs right now, actually! Sadly due to the irregular size of the opening, I don’t think the giant one would fit (or a subsection of it, as the opening isn’t that wide - maybe three doorways across?)

We really just need to get on with finding our own place.

CroakerBC on