As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android: Netrunner and Project Nisei

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    And there it is. The Giga-Scoop for Gateway.

The product page for Update & Gateway has been... well, updated, with the DTC and MPC links if you want to get them printed, or the PDF's if you want to "acquire" the office printer to do it yourself.

And so, with Gateway dropping, SanSan and Honor & Profit are officially rotated from Standard, as well as Salvaged Memories goes back to the hell it crawled out of.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    System update is like the backbone of my favorite decks, with new art.

Such familiarity.. such warmth.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Think I made an opponent rage quit after I flatlined them.

I misread or didn't understand the format he wanted to play, so I guess my deck was illegal (too many formats, and startup isn't a recognized one yet?) and flatlined him. I'm trying to learn! He wanted Gateway+Update, I guess I chose a Startup deck that had cards from the Uprising cycle.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I played all day yesterday running a couple of Startup format decks I threw together and had a fantastic time. Loup is so sick, I love getting tempo for doing a thing I want to do anyway

• Options
    Oh hey, new fiction piece went up today involving Steve having a very bad day.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I know jinteki exists but I really wish there was a dedicated app for this game so I could play it with people I know who don’t want to go to all that trouble

I never get to play this because nobody I know locally in Nowhere, TX is into it, and jinteki is just so disconnected-feeling, which is antithetical to the enjoyment I get from playing

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    You could say that about any FFG game.

I also say it about Dire Wolf, who digitize everything except their own products.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    I think people vastly underestimate how much work and resources it takes to make a polished app for a card game.

Hell, Wizards can't do that, and they have billions of dollars of gambling dollars behind it.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Oh I know it would be a huge undertaking, and not really practical

Anyway, I want it

*looks at the thousands of games of Ascension I’ve played with my wife on the app*

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I think people vastly underestimate how much work and resources it takes to make a polished app for a card game.

Hell, Wizards can't do that, and they have billions of dollars of gambling dollars behind it.

???

I can’t tell if this is a diss at Magic Arena or not.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Tabletop Simulator has mods for this, which while probably worse play wise than jinteki might be more approachable?

• Options
    Standard ban list update dropped today:

The changes:
    Slot Machine is banned.
    Engram Flush is banned.
    Fairchild 3.0 is banned.
    Game Changer is banned.
    Mass Commercialization is banned.
    Government Takeover is banned.

The article goes into more depth into the reasoning behind those choices.

It actually slipped my mind, but back in May there was a little one that took out Violet Level Clearance as well. Figure I might as well get that in here for completeness.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    So I never played the original…

Is now a good time to join in?

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

It could be! Are there others in your area that are also playing? That's really going to be a good marker of worth, because while you certainly can play online for (completely) free, it is not the same experience.

If you have others around you that would want to play, the Nisei (fan-run organization who took over the game after FFG stopped printing it) cards are a great place to start. Original FFG cards may be a bit more difficult or out-of-print, but most people that are still playing the game are using a lot of the Nisei cards, and they're designed to welcome new players to the game in a straight-forward manner. They're available as print-on-demand from Make Playing Cards and DriveThru Cards.

The game is certainly still fun and a lot of people seem to be enjoying it - I know I do.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

It could be! Are there others in your area that are also playing? That's really going to be a good marker of worth, because while you certainly can play online for (completely) free, it is not the same experience.

If you have others around you that would want to play, the Nisei (fan-run organization who took over the game after FFG stopped printing it) cards are a great place to start. Original FFG cards may be a bit more difficult or out-of-print, but most people that are still playing the game are using a lot of the Nisei cards, and they're designed to welcome new players to the game in a straight-forward manner. They're available as print-on-demand from Make Playing Cards and DriveThru Cards.

The game is certainly still fun and a lot of people seem to be enjoying it - I know I do.

I thought I replied to this, but naw, I don’t know anyone who plays a physical card game, and nor do I.

I still might go for it and get enough to host a game night. Thanks for the reply!

• Options
    edited September 2021
    *kicks in the door*

https://nisei.net/blog/announcing-borealis/

Borealis, the next expansion and the first half of the Borealis Cycle, got announced today.

No exact release date due to *gestures at world* but it’s chugging along. O&C and Mumbad will rotate out of Standard when it drops.

https://nisei.net/blog/into-the-depths/
    Design article with June in regards to what to expect.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Oh hey, now that we're back from the Holiday Forums break... SCOOOOOOPS!

They're going to be talking more in the upcoming weeks about the upcoming release, but a few things to announce.

The first half of the Borealis Cycle was re-named to Midnight Sun to help alleviate the confusion of a pack and a cycle sharing a name.

Since it's getting closer, but still going to be a bit until it drops, they've decided to do another Booster Pack of seven cards (one from each faction) from the cycle to spice up Standard. Plans are for it to drop in February as a print & play.

The first of which, a Shaper event, has had the text spoiled on the above link and it's a doozy.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    New article up:

...and at the end there's the NBN scoop from the Midnight Sun booster pack.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Man, I hope there's an anarch event that stops assets/resources from working, called stuck in the middle with you, and it's the suez cannal boat. Or something along those lines. A destroyed tanker is nice as well though.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    As of today, the Midnight Sun booster is officially out and legal …oh yeah, the Anarch preview is up as well, a new resource that likes to burn things.

PDF’s for printing are there, but they’re still waiting on proofs from the POD printers to verify them before they can enable them there.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    The POD versions are up for the Booster Pack.

Might be worth noting that the Booster Pack versions of the cards come in the extended-art promo frames, while the eventual full release of Midnight Sun will be in the normal ones. In case you need a excuse.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Need a good reason to get into Netrunner in 2022? Here's a great video from Shut Up and Sit Down!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev24b_17-Po

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I was directed here from the boardgames thread. After seeing the shut up video I ordered a gateway pack after being on the fence for 10 years.
    Is this https://nisei.net/players/learn-to-play/learn-to-play-corp the best place to learn the game?
    The tutorial video in the first post is set to private for me. Any other tutorial videos that you can recommend would be appreciated!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    I was directed here from the boardgames thread. After seeing the shut up video I ordered a gateway pack after being on the fence for 10 years.
    Is this https://nisei.net/players/learn-to-play/learn-to-play-corp the best place to learn the game?
    The tutorial video in the first post is set to private for me. Any other tutorial videos that you can recommend would be appreciated!

As the Shut Up and Sit Down video rightfully complained, the best ways to learn the game are still the original Fantasy Flight Games Android: Netrunner tutorial video (which features cards not in Nisei) and the Team Covenant videos (which feature cards not in Nisei and are hours long, but also feature entertaining actual play matches).

Reddit user u/c126 also put together a printable version of the Nisei Learn to Play pages, which I personally find much more handy for skimming through at the table.

Also worth checking out is, well, I'll just copy-paste the pinned comment on the SU&SD video:
    Looking for a place to start? Green Level Clearance [ http://discord.gg/glc ] is NISEI's hub for new players! Check out their discord for new player resources, teaching games, and weekly matches.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Heavily second the Team Covenant videos. They walk through playing matches step by step and really explain thought process and strategy.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Yeah that’s how I got into it. My only complaint about them is that they are very long.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hmmm. I wonder if there would be an interest locally in a "learn to play Netrunner" night, after that SUSD video. I should ask around.

I was never that great at the game (went 3:5 at the Magnum Opus), but I really do love teaching it to people.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I wonder if there is a Nisei scene here in PDX.

My favorite thing was always getting to teach newer players how aggro criminal decks worked, it tended to really make them think about the game in new ways.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I wonder if there is a Nisei scene here in PDX.

My favorite thing was always getting to teach newer players how aggro criminal decks worked, it tended to really make them think about the game in new ways.

I know there are several former Netrunner players who live in the pdx region, though many may have moved on to different games. Brian Cronin of the Jackson Howard twitch/yt stream lives there, in fact. If people played, I believe it was at Guardian Games.

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot to post it here, but there's a new preview from Midnight Sun from the NISEI booth at UKGE.

49nvwjj0r2gt.png

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options

While not a video this is kind of a decent tutorial once you have a general idea how to play as well.
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot to post it here, but there's a new preview from Midnight Sun from the NISEI booth at UKGE.

[snip]

Is this just an altered form of expose? Or a similar idea I guess? You could run an un-iced archives to peek at a remote/upgrade, and it synergizes well with crim's "always be running."

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    It's expose except you actually access the card, which triggers some stuff. Some of it good (Zahya Sadeghi and Aeneas Informant, for in-faction stuff), some of it bad (Snare!).

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    It's expose except you actually access the card, which triggers some stuff. Some of it good (Zahya Sadeghi and Aeneas Informant, for in-faction stuff), some of it bad (Snare!).

Thanks! I saw the "no steal, no trash" and was wondering what else it could trigger/interact with. Wait, can you trash non-agenda's (assets, upgrades, etc) with Pinhole Threading? Wording is curious...

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    If you're accessing it, you can trash it.

• Options
    Yeah, the idea is you run a lightly defended server and trade it to access something in a very well protected server. Being able to trash an upgrade like Anoetic Void or Manegarm Skunkworks without having to run the actual server and deal with their effects should be very useful! Just gotta access the upgrade and not an agenda in the remote server and you're good to go.

• Options
    That's the key. Only get to access 1 card and not everything in root.