As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Ascent] - Cyberpunk palate cleanser

zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
edited July 2021 in Games and Technology
https://youtu.be/qCwZ7gH3MOY

hdq0wdckpcdc.jpg
camj4f1yt8k6.jpg

The Ascent is a cyberpunk sorta action rpg twin stick shooter created by a 12 person team at Swedish developer Neon Giant. Released 7/29/2021 it uses the Unreal Engine with all the ray tracing / DLSS bells and whistles to create an immersive isometric gritty cyberpunk world.

The game starts you out as an 'indent' (indentured servant) who is working off their debt to the Ascent Group in the basement of an arcology on the planet Veles. When Ascent Group suddenly goes bankrupt, it's your job to fight off rivals and protect your home while trying to solve just what happened. Using guns, armor, grenades, and abilities / augmentations you'll murder battle your way to solving that mystery.

Reportedly the game has about 20 hours of standard gameplay and at least the first few areas are beautifully crafted with high density crowds and incredible lighting and detail. Combat is fun and consists of standard twin-stick gunplay with unlimited ammo (in your limited weapon slots) and recharging abilities.

After a couple hours of play it's clear this game is not Diablo with guns. It's not a looter-shooter, and while it has some light RPG elements I'd hesitate to call it a traditional ARPG. Really the game it feels the most like is the reimagination of Crusader: No Remorse. Movement, gunplay, atmosphere, it definitely has that feel and grittiness of that classic and that's a good thing.

For $25-30 it definitely feels like it's going to be a better value than that other cyberpunk game that came out a little while ago. It supports up to four player co-op and looks to support both remote players and couch co-op. It also reportedly supports cross-platform play for the Live / Gamepass version, but if you purchased it on Steam you can only play with other Steam accounts so that's a bit of a bummer.

There are moments when its pretty clear this isn't an AAA title, the UI is pretty clean but there are some places that could use polish or another pass by a translator / editor. There are a few performance hiccups in crowds, but at the same time with 100+ characters on screen with full ray traced lighting on it's not too bad. Some reviews note there isn't a huge variety in items and no randomization rolling of stats - every weapon will be the same at the same upgrade level but I haven't had quite enough time to be sure of that. There doesn't appear to be any random play so when the story is complete it looks like that's it, I haven't beaten it and I'm not sure what NG+ options there are.

The character creator is decent but somewhat limited in options and clothing / equipment is limited to just a few slots.

Still in spite of the valid criticisms ever review seems to agree it's a ton of fun kiting groups of enemies, rolling around, and blasting them with a SMG in the first few zones. If this sounds like something you might like I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. Especially if you have the Gamepass where you can try it out for free.

zagdrob on

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I gave it a whirl last night, and I'll grant that the backgrounds are nice but the UI (Xbox) was making me grind my teeth. Find stuff in the world, sometimes you press X, sometimes you hold X, sometimes you just walk over it, no rhyme or reason I could really see. The character menu uses left and right stick movements to move between menu tabs, but when you select an option it creates new items to the right, so when I intuitively move the stick to navigate the menus it just jumps to the next tab and resets everything.

Combat with just the first slow firing pistol was also kind of annoying, but once I got the SMG and a couple abilities it felt a lot better. I got to the first hub area and then got annoyed that it seems to be just a giant open space with a bunch of noninteractable NPCs and vendors etc are just spaced massively far apart for no reason, so I put it down for the night. Probably will give it another whirl, but I would say overall a disappointment and not sure I'm going to continue.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    My expectations are so low thanks to the recent DnD release on gamepass but giving it a go because I so want it to be okay.

Lilnoobs on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Wow, was not expecting a Crusader: No Remorse reference here. Nice.

(Also the game itself seems fun, and is visually stunning. It's far and away the most "lived in" dystopian sci-fi/cyberpunk aesthetic world I've encountered, maybe what Cyberpunk 2077 was hoping to be, but didn't quite manage for anyone but the highest-end PC setup, but with a much stronger emphasis on the alien and dilapidated.)

Synthesis on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I'm a couple hours in and enjoying it, really like the combat and cover system. The combat and cover starts to shine once you get out of the tutorial and start fighting full sized mobs.

Had one bug that required a restart, quest area where the quest mobs wouldn't spawn, and the game doesn't seem to be tracking the skins I picked up but otherwise it's been a clean launch for me. I'm playing solo on Series X.

Letting LS change menu screens is a weird choice and I hope they drop that cause it messes me up all the time. The hold to confirm is twice as long as it should be and they probably don't need it on chests that hold items but I like that big health packs let me be strategic about when I collect them.

Radar instead of mini-map is a bad choice, particularly with the complex environments but I'm not sure how you'd do a satisfying mini-map in this so I understand the decision.

Environments are a little too large but traversal feels a bit better once you unlock the metro and taxi. Dropping points into evasion helps too.

I'm running around with a fire handcannon that has an interruptible reload like a pump shotgun and a rocket launcher so I'm happy on the guns front. Need to see if the rate you gain components increases, it feels alright getting everything to like mk3 but things start getting tight real fast.

The game is gorgeous and the tower feels real and lived in. I've gotten jumped multiple times because I'm too busy looking at scenery and run into a pack of mobs.

Carpy on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Is the toggle-headgear option bugged at the moment? Playing this on XB1 and while it works in the armor menu, it's still on when I exit to the game proper.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about this game is how the minimap doesn't tell you what level anything is on so you just have to run around aimlessly and guess

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Yeah the minimap and missions leave a lot to be desired. I'm still mostly running around sorta toward the green arrow and killing red dots when I find them.

Not 100% sure of who I'm killing but they turn red and attack me so I'm gonna kill them first.

I wouldn't mind more movement options though. The world is big and it feels like I spend a lot of time just running. It is pretty though.

I dont want to compare to Hades too much because I dont think that is entirely fair, but I feel like the space and maps could have been used a bit better.

Still liking it. I killed 3 out of 4 full chrome rocket guys in the grinder but had to quit before I finished the quest so we will see how annoying the save states are tomorrow.

edited July 2021
    I think you unlock the metro and taxi after that quest. Metro is free and but you have to go to a station, taxi costs 1k but you can use it from anywhere.

I've also found a movement augment that changes your roll into a dash. Covers less distance but doesn't have the animation lock at the end so it feels faster to me. Smoother for sure. Not sure if item chests are randomized but I got mine
    from a chest in the Nexus which is the next major hub after the meeting quest

Carpy on
  • KPCKPC Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I'm pretty sure I broke combat with the augment skill that lets me auto aim, shoot, and kill enemies with the rest of my gun's clip. Pair that with a heavy assault rifle with 100 bullet mags and it's an auto-win every 24 seconds. Of course, it also glitches out the shooting function sometimes so I guess it's kind of a nerf? lol

KPC on
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    KPC wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I broke combat with the augment skill that lets me auto aim, shoot, and kill enemies with the rest of my gun's clip. Pair that with a heavy assault rifle with 100 bullet mags and it's an auto-win every 24 seconds. Of course, it also glitches out the shooting function sometimes so I guess it's kind of a nerf? lol
    I had to stop using that Aug because half the time I used it, it left me unable to shoot either weapon until I used it a second time (which meant waiting for the cooldown)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Is the toggle-headgear option bugged at the moment? Playing this on XB1 and while it works in the armor menu, it's still on when I exit to the game proper.

I checked this on my Series X and the toggle headgear option does work correctly. My character in the field matches the model in the menu..

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    This game is so gorgeous and has some jaw dropping backgrounds but hoo boy it’s unbalanced and unwieldy as fuck

I feel like this team will get better, there’s nothing here that’s unfixable, and a lot of promise, so I hope it does well so they can make more shit in the future even id they don’t end up being able to polish this game fully

Prohass on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Deepstink makes me laugh every time someone says it.

'Where are you going?'
    'Heading to the deepstink to collect 10 feral testicles.'

'Okey dokey.'

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Yeah this is a pretty good looking game. Watching a bunch of enemies insta-gib on streets paved with smoke, neon and bullets flying overhead while in cover. The whole tower feels like it’s alive and breathing.

Other than the map and the occasional hitting crouch instead of dash it’s been all good fun so far.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying this a lot lately. Definitely haven't been playing it as a cover shooter as it seems to have been intended, but more of a run and gun. The burst rifles (EB7 Enforcer and ABR Commander) seem to be the best weapons by far. There are a number of special weapons though in out of the way places, the coolest of which is probably the Disintegrator, a ghost busters style energy beam cannon.

I think my only complaint is that the maps are so large and full of enemies that having to track back through them constantly gets a little old at times. That and the fact that they haven't intelligently gated side quests. Many side quests have destinations that are often locked until you get through a certain point in the story, which is super annoying when you spend 10-15 minutes fighting through to a quest marker to find it quest-gated.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I would just love a better mini map. Only an hour or two in - any things to watch for?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I could just sit here in the menu screen and enjoy the synth.

schuss wrote: »
    I would just love a better mini map. Only an hour or two in - any things to watch for?

I'd suggest ignoring most of the side quests until the main quest takes you back down to the deep stink. Some of them can be done at their suggested level but others are blocked behind story progression or need you to go through higher level enemies. By the time you head back to the deep stink you'll have a bunch of metro stations and zones unlocked and all the side quests will slot neatly into either a zone you've discovered or one you haven't. If you know the zone you can do the quest at that point otherwise it's easy to ignore. Downside is that this delays a couple weapons and abilities a little bit but I found that trade-off worth saving out on the frustration of poorly gated side quests.

My chief complaint about the game is how infrequently it saves. I just lost like 40 minutes of play because my computer rebooted suddenly.

urahonky wrote: »
    My chief complaint about the game is how infrequently it saves. I just lost like 40 minutes of play because my computer rebooted suddenly.

That stinks, I wonder if the PC client has a different auto-save setup because on console I don't think I've ever lost more than a minute to a death or quit.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Wow, was not expecting a Crusader: No Remorse reference here. Nice.

(Also the game itself seems fun, and is visually stunning. It's far and away the most "lived in" dystopian sci-fi/cyberpunk aesthetic world I've encountered, maybe what Cyberpunk 2077 was hoping to be, but didn't quite manage for anyone but the highest-end PC setup, but with a much stronger emphasis on the alien and dilapidated.)

Gawdamn W.E.C.

Carpy wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

That stinks, I wonder if the PC client has a different auto-save setup because on console I don't think I've ever lost more than a minute to a death or quit.

Yeah I'm not sure. I have been dealing with timestamps in hh:mm:ss I assumed that the "last saved 00:32" meant minutes (since that was roughly the amount of time I'd been playing). But I could be wrong.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I finished this, I felt the world building and environments were let down by gameplay that didn't know what it wanted to be at times. And god damn 4 of the same type of encounter were just fuck you punishing.

Spoiler for combat mechanics in some sections

Having to survive wave after wave of enemies with random rng for healing and sometimes fucking hard bounties showing up just to fuck you? Yeah not a great time bob.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Also on the xbox because aiming was a bitch I went with the revolvers and then snipers because I couldn't be sure I'd hit the target I wanted to make sure I killed it when I did.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also on the xbox because aiming was a bitch I went with the revolvers and then snipers because I couldn't be sure I'd hit the target I wanted to make sure I killed it when I did.

I'm playing on XB1 too and I've only played the first mission but I feel kind of the opposite. I wasn't doing so hot with the revolver to the point I was constantly exiting the combat area so I'd auto-heal to full but once I got the SMG and some auto-fire, it felt much more soothing to get into fights.

Owenashi on
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

I'm playing on XB1 too and I've only played the first mission but I feel kind of the opposite. I wasn't doing so hot with the revolver to the point I was constantly exiting the combat area so I'd auto-heal to full but once I got the SMG and some auto-fire, it felt much more soothing to get into fights.

I was the same way early game, but once I could upgrade my aiming revolvers had more of a stopping power against enemies versus the smg. Really the key for me was using the punch to keep enemies away, but god damn did I miss with that a shit ton. End game I used two augs that did all their killing without me having to target shit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    My favorite thing about this game is how the minimap doesn't tell you what level anything is on so you just have to run around aimlessly and guess

Yeaaah, I put the game down when I got to the first big town area and saw that. I've got a trash sense of direction and memory so I didn't wanna be bothered with wasting time in town being lost trying to find stuff. Game's neat but it needs some polish patches. It's all totally fixable tho so I've got hope it gets some love.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Honestly the mission direction ping is amazing, and later you can just call a taxi. Re: aiming - I just got the gun that shoots around corners/has homing projectiles so that's not as much a concern now.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I really want to like this game, but on my Xbox One it crashes a significant amount of the time when I zone and has a several minute load time to get back in.

Loaded it back up and it turns out I didn't lose any time! Game is apparently really good at auto-saves and my brain is really bad at interpreting time. I'm really, really digging this game. Visually it's the perfect cyberpunk feel. The music is the cherry on top.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah that makes sense that it's MM:SS. You shouldn't need to track the time since an autosave in anywhere near hours.

captaink wrote: »
    Yeah that makes sense that it's MM:SS. You shouldn't need to track the time since an autosave in anywhere near hours.

Yeah I was just wondering what happens if you pause your game and walk away > 1 hour. I just wish they'd at least do 00:00:38 because MM:SS just didn't process in my brain

Would have taken me 10 seconds to figure out too. Pause the game and go to quit, see number, unpause and check again 5 seconds later.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Got a chance to play this a bit last night, and I echo everyone's impressions.

Art is *chef's kiss*.
    UI controls are a mess. I can only assume their UX person's salary all went to the artists instead.
    Combat mechanics feel a little odd with having slower paced low cover mechanics in an otherwise relatively fast twin-stick shooter.
    Guidance to mission objectives is good. But due to the complexity of the level layouts, the map is in dire need of allowing the player to select the various non-mission icons to set for guidance.
    Running it in DX12 is haha, nope.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm assuming with it being a twin stick shooter, it's gamepad > kbam here?

Gonna start this up tonight with a buddy for some coop, so fingers crossed it's good.

We tried that DnD game and after the 5th lvl we were pretty tired of it. I'm at least glad crossplay is getting a lot of attention.

I've been using a gamepad on the PC but I bet it works fine with kbam. I just prefer to lounge with the controller haha

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I'd say
    Controller
    Pros: Movement
    Cons: Fine Aiming, Menu Navigation (because of the bizarre menu control scheme)

KBAM
    Pros: Fine Aiming, Menu Navigation
    Cons: Movement

But to me they're not different enough to push it away from just personal preference.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The game feels so much better with kbm

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    I will say from having completed the game movement is really necessary in end game, but aiming was a bitch until I maxed it out on controller.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Yeah, I tried both and IMO k am is superior as there's not enough fine movement needs to give controller an advantage.