As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Castlevania & Bloodstained] sitting in a tree, S-L-A-Y-I-N-G

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Delete the drawing to kill bosses gimmick, use the second analog stick for the playthrough with the bonus characters who attack using the touch screen.

The touch screen characters are in Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia.

The seal drawing thing is in Dawn of Sorrow. That game’s bonus character mode gets rid of the seal drawing entirely.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'd really like Order of Ecclesia.... You Stupid Disciples!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Those huge satan guards looked so cool.

But you could never kill them. And that's loathsome.

H9f4bVe.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Catching up on S4, four episodes in. Really liking this season so far actually. Lots of interesting setups.
    The conversation between Isaac and one of his spawns who is questioning why they are rebuilding a town and burying bodies was actually great.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    If only they would re-release Harmony of Despair for Steam.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Catching up on S4, four episodes in. Really liking this season so far actually. Lots of interesting setups.
    The conversation between Isaac and one of his spawns who is questioning why they are rebuilding a town and burying bodies was actually great.
    Issac was the best character in the show easily.

His story went in a lot of directions I wouldn't have expected.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Issac was the best character in the show easily.

His story went in a lot of directions I wouldn't have expected.

Shame he
    disappeared completely. Granted the worst thing about this season was how disjointed it was -- there were seemingly 47 characters who all needed big moments, and while most of them got them, it didn't add up to a connected epic. Other than a blink-and-you'll-miss-it "gotta resurrect Dracula!" the Isaac/Hector/female vampire kingdom stuff had zilch to do with the rest of the story.

But at least the show did him well up until he vanished?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    I would definitely have loved to see the script spaced out over a couple (read 1-2) more episodes, if only to let certain things breathe a little more. Some more time with Striga and Morana would really sell the fatigue of their scouting actions instead of forcing the characters to really sell it in their 10 minutes to shine, and in general characters contained in that arc to have more time to fully process the enormity of Carmilla declaring war on Wallachia let alone the entire world
    I think the thing that bums me out is that the show wraps up Carmilla's plot so quickly that it never really feels like an actual threat on the country. Hector apparently did make a bunch of night creatures but it really would have been nice if Carmilla's army actually felt like a force to be reckoned with like Morana says it could be instead of a standing guard that gets effortlessly rolled over the moment Isaac shows up. If the army had been more threatening it could have made the stakes feel more real, but the plan just disappears like a fart in the wind the moment Isaac teleports over her castle.

If they had shifted the timeline so that Carmilla's night creatures were a legitimate threat and she was close to enacting her plan before Isaac's own army came in, the enormity of the conflict might have been better felt, and Hector's act of slicing off his ring finger might have been more pivotal in turning the tide of the fight. They cut the head off the beast before it's fully grown which is a very pleasingly cunning thing to do narratively, but they do it at a point in the story where it's basically a baby.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think we can all agree that a lot of ideas were forced together to wrap things up in one season. It's pretty obvious in the overall pacing and how the storylines ended. Personally, I'd still love if they did a one-off movie starring Simon to set up all the Richter stuff in the new series. Probably will never happen though. At best, we might get a flashback to Simon via a character reading a book or looking through a magic mirror or whatever.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Fuck Yuzo was involved with PoR? No wonder it has some super kickin' tracks.

• JBCJBC Registered User regular
    Hey everyone! Longtime lurker here. I've made a Minecraft adventure map heavily inspired by Castlevania. It was a labor of love for my kiddos during the pandemic. Turns out it wasn't their thing, but I would appreciate some tester volunteers if anyone is interested? Thx!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    JBC wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Longtime lurker here. I've made a Minecraft adventure map heavily inspired by Castlevania. It was a labor of love for my kiddos during the pandemic. Turns out it wasn't their thing, but I would appreciate some tester volunteers if anyone is interested? Thx!

I don't play Minecraft, but would love a video!

• JBCJBC Registered User regular
    Thanks for your interest! I'm a total novice to stuff outside of the Minecraft building toolset, so no video yet. However I have uploaded a picture I took during development. In-game is set at night, but I took the picture during daytime for visibility.

q644fs19gd4c.jpg

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    If only they would re-release Harmony of Despair for Steam.

As much as I loved this game, it's super dependent on other players. I wonder if enough people would buy it to be playable.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    It would probably be easier to set up a discord group for the game if it was as easy to get as being on Steam.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    What's the general consensus on Lament of Innocence? I started playing it, and it's... dated, but interesting so far. Love the art, too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed it. Once you complete the game you can replay as one of the bosses which I highly recommend. Leon’s theme is some great music.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    What's the general consensus on Lament of Innocence? I started playing it, and it's... dated, but interesting so far. Love the art, too.

I don't know what the general consensus is, but in my personal opinion, it's one of the only fun 3D Castlevanias. The 64 games are real bad and the followups have MASSIVE empty areas, Lament actually has reasonably sized places to go and an interesting plotline.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I enjoyed Lament of Innocence, though I was at basically the end of the game but was grinding for things when I just . . . stopped playing it. Like legit the last bosses were all I had.

It was really solid in terms of controls for a 3D Castlevania. I mean, yeah the Lords of Shadow games were generally prettier but I felt like I could actually enjoy the gameplay more. There wasn't a combo building need, specifically, or a bunch of super fancy techniques. And the "metroidvania" feel was done as well as I can remember for a Castlevania game. I'd say it's one of the best if not the best 3D Castlevania game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Lament of Innocence was OK. I remember it started to feel pretty repetitive by the end. IGA definitely wanted this to be a 3D take on the SotN formula, but it needed something....more, I guess?

I think that, in the end, I enjoyed Curse of Darkness more. But that one isn't without flaws either.

I also liked Lament and noticed retextures and repetitiveness as you completed it. It's not bad though. 3D Castlevanias get a really bad rep.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Castlevania block live on SGDQ, Castlevania 64 is SO rough to look at. Sometimes 64 games just run at 4 FPS, deal with it...

edited July 2021
    Castlevania block live on SGDQ, Castlevania 64 is SO rough to look at. Sometimes 64 games just run at 4 FPS, deal with it...

If only all N64 games could feature as many options to improve framerate as Superman.

Enlong on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Thanks to them renaming half the Castlevania games to just 'Castlevania' in the UK, I have no idea which one Lament of Innocence is. Was that one of the PS2 ones?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    Thanks to them renaming half the Castlevania games to just 'Castlevania' in the UK, I have no idea which one Lament of Innocence is. Was that one of the PS2 ones?

Yes. It's the one featuring Leon Belmont, in the earliest point in the story's timeline.

The other PS2 game is Curse of Darkness. That's the one where you play as the Devil Forgemaster Hector, after the events of Castlevania 3.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Fuma gear is a myth. Change my mind.

But seriously, the one thing I hate about HoD is the RNG. Does luck help? Who knows! How about no hits? Beats me! Ugh.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    And then there’s playing as characters like Soma, Charlotte, or Shanoa, where gaining new skills is also random.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    This new game coming out next week, Grime, looks like an intriguing metroidvania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1fGnd_UqBc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ddisFNbYU

I'm interested in these rockoids and their grubby world.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    This new game coming out next week, Grime, looks like an intriguing metroidvania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1fGnd_UqBc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ddisFNbYU

I'm interested in this rockoids and their grubby world.

The demo for this was solid. The mechanics are interesting; the "block" is actually an absorb that has a short window (otherwise you get hit), and after absorbing a certain amount of a specific enemy you get their "code" of sorts to slot in to change certain aspects of the game such as increasing damage, or raising defense after missing the absorb window, very random things to very specific instances. On top of that, there's weapons and armor all coded around the rock-body horror theme. The metroidvania elements are solidly there too; loop-backs and shortcuts abound, as do secrets.

It's got elements of Dark Souls-style games as well, though you don't drop shards on death so that's helpful. And the body-horror-rock-flesh aesthetic is solidly creepy without being too overwhelming.

All in all, the demo was a lot of fun, and I want to play the full game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

Yes. It's the one featuring Leon Belmont, in the earliest point in the story's timeline.

The other PS2 game is Curse of Darkness. That's the one where you play as the Devil Forgemaster Hector, after the events of Castlevania 3.

Hot off the heels of the show, I had no idea they were the same person.

z664rf1bx9av.png

wVEsyIc.png
    They are pretty similar in design. Isaac not so much, but that's a very good thing.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Oh my goodness.

2vofnrery2m41.jpg

Well, I guess they kept the self-flagellation aspect, that hooked chain-vest thing looks pretty uncomfortable.

H9f4bVe.png
    They also kept one of his minions: Abel is a unique form of the Devil-type Innocent Devil, which featured in the last season of the Netflix show, during Isaac's big raid.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Found this on Facebook and thought it was pretty funny. Don't know how to share it to non-FB users, sorry. :(

https://www.facebook.com/clay.tucker.750/videos/276038727656145/

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Grimoire of Souls back on the menu boys.
    Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls—which was first announced for iOS in April 2018, and soft-launched in Canada in September 2019 before being delisted a year later—is now planned for release for iOS, tvOS, and Mac via Apple Arcade, Konami announced. The release date is “soon.”

No Android is sad. I'd still like the emulate it if possible.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    That's nice, but I have trouble getting excited for anything Castlevania related that's not on a console.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Grimoire of Souls back on the menu boys.
    Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls—which was first announced for iOS in April 2018, and soft-launched in Canada in September 2019 before being delisted a year later—is now planned for release for iOS, tvOS, and Mac via Apple Arcade, Konami announced. The release date is “soon.”

No Android is sad. I'd still like the emulate it if possible.

Wait.. so they shut it down and now they're bringing it back? Did they have to take it down to add more pachinko elements? :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    That's nice, but I have trouble getting excited for anything Castlevania related that's not on a console.

Apple's got a pretty good track record of picking actually good and actually free games for Apple Arcade, so it might actually be decent.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293