As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I have a rare behind the scenes photo of James and Hammond arriving on Clarkson's farm:
    o4k2pk22pw9m.jpg

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, as entertaining as it would be to watch the trio try to farm, it's probably a good call for them not to go there. Because of all the murder.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Watching Clarkson's Farm, it really felt like something that May should show up in. I know Hammond likes animals, but for whatever reason I totally thought May would be a good fit for a farm show.
    *cut to May giving a lecture on the history of the tractor*

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I actually believe that James Richard and Jeremy genuinely dislike each other. But they like money and understand the work dynamic well enough to work together. They also understand it only works because they are all together.

zepherin on
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    I actually believe that James Richard and Jeremy genuinely dislike each other. But they like money and understand the work dynamic well enough to work together. They also understand it only works because they are all together.

nah, it's more like going on a really long vacation with a good friend and afterward you're like "that was great! now I don't to see or hear from you for like a month...", it's like that, but it's like 20 years of going on several month long vacations with each other to really shitty resorts.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

How did you come to that?

I mean all of the effortless laughter, especially when one gets the other two going, meant they really like each other.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I mean all of the effortless laughter, especially when one gets the other two going, meant they really like each other.

Based on interviews where they say they don’t talk to each other when they aren’t on the show and “it works cause we hate each other.”

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular

Based on interviews where they say they don’t talk to each other when they aren’t on the show and “it works cause we hate each other.”

Money or not believing the show would work w/o Clarkson might account for it, but I rather doubt the other two would just bail on sizeable BBC contracts when Jeremy was fired if they hated him. It's quite probably they didn't until Amazon said "hey, more money and full control here".

• Options
    Hydropolo wrote: »

Money or not believing the show would work w/o Clarkson might account for it, but I rather doubt the other two would just bail on sizeable BBC contracts when Jeremy was fired if they hated him. It's quite probably they didn't until Amazon said "hey, more money and full control here".
    I have no doubt that an Amazon phone call goosed the process.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I believe May has stated they're not best of friends, but they work incredibly well together.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Some people separate work friends from the rest of their friend pool pretty religiously. I'm one of those people.

Like I've had work friends who are so goddamn chummy and yet I still won't invite them over to my place for dinner. Because that there clock says 5:00 PM and that means you and I are done for the day.

I imagine it's very much like that for them.

I also imagine for most famous people they end up keeping to themselves mostly because anywhere they go there's a camera and a scandal so fuck it I'll just watch TV until my agent tells me I gotta be somewhere.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    being in a showbiz partnership, or in this case trio is a lot different than most friendships and even work relationships. it's really only something that people in similar situations can get, you need to be able to work together to make the show so you can't and shouldn't in most cases burn that out. best explanation I had heard is from Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller; they have been a team now almost 50 years, they work constantly together and do shows in most years for most weeks in the year (pandemic notwithstanding), however the times they have eaten dinner together in a context outside of professionally he could count one hand. it's not that they don't have love or friendship it's kind of the opposite, their work together is too important to them to expose to unnecessary damage from interpersonal conflict outside of work. IIRC he said it was like the Anna Karenina quote "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." Substitute for Showbiz Partnership, the ones that stick together find the boundaries and stick to them, the ones that don't find ways to be in each other's way.

basically they keep each other in the work context because that's how the work gets done, of course they are all very british about it so they can't admit any feeling other than jocular disdain for one another; but if they have been doing this for this long they know the boundaries.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    There are articles floating around from the top gear days where Clarkson has basically said "I spend something like 300 days a year with these guys, I'm not going to spend the rest with them, I do have other friends you know".

• Options
    Going back to the post that started all this, whether Hammond or May showing up on the farm would be a good thing.... I'd rather not as I think about it. We already have a lot of the same dynamics from the folks who are helping him out, and seeing what APPEARS to be a more "honest" Clarkson is kind of the charm.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Hammond would be good at trying some kind of doggie daycare, especially if he's still living in that castle. Sir Puppington's Palace.

James, go work on a farm in Hokkaido yes I’m still salty about his Japan series UwU peko.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    What they need to do is have a season of all three trying to work on Clarkson's farm. For once, he could blow their actual minds by actually showing real knowledge of something practical, and then we get to watch him channel his inner Kaleb trying to keep the other two from doing the same stupid shit he did the first time around.

And then Kaleb is there to try and keep them from falling into farm equipment.

I think legally Hammond isnt allowed near a thresher of any sort

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ok, Lochdown was pretty great. Had a lot of laugh out loud scenes for me.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Ok, Lochdown was pretty great. Had a lot of laugh out loud scenes for me.

Oooooh is it out? I'll have to watch it tonight.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I would have thought pints of Tsingtao would have been more appropriate for the ending.

• Options
    The last....Joke I think fell pretty flat. Overall though pretty good. I loved Hammond's car.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Overall pretty good, ending fell a little flat. That "lets fill up Mays trailer" moment was hilarious. Same with Clarkson losing his in the woods.

They had asked fans to do trailers and posters for the new special. Here are some of them:

Also it reminded me, that one day I want to do a roadtrip through Scotland with my own car. I've been to Scotland twice now - and I am longing to go back. I went to Ireland 3 years ago with my car and that was a fantastic trip, can only imagine Scotland is even better.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Overall pretty good, ending fell a little flat. That "lets fill up Mays trailer" moment was hilarious. Same with Clarkson losing his in the woods.

They had asked fans to do trailers and posters for the new special. Here are some of them:

Also it reminded me, that one day I want to do a roadtrip through Scotland with my own car. I've been to Scotland twice now - and I am longing to go back. I went to Ireland 3 years ago with my car and that was a fantastic trip, can only imagine Scotland is even better.

My wife and I want to take a month to go through Ireland, Scotland and England. Hopefully in the next couple years the world calms down enough we might be able to pull it off.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    This was a good episode

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I live in Scotland and still haven't found the opportunity to roadtrip around the north. I want to really badly though, and this show has made the desire even stronger.

This was a good show though!, I was a little more sensitive to the staged elements after AGH but the cars were great, the scenery was awe inspiring and there were a bunch of good laughs throughout. Frankly I could have happily spent an hour watching them try to navigate those cars around central Edinburgh, a city that is legendarily hard to drive around under the best circumstances let alone in ancient American land yachts.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My dad had one of those big ass Buicks back in the day in a not quite neon green color so I was pleased as peaches to see Hammond's selection.

I loved everything about this episode and, climate change aside, would love the return of these massive cars.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    When May fell down opening the door I laughed so hard and then I realized he looked the same way he did when in Syria. But then he was ok so I laughed again. When he falls he just goes, he doesn't try to brace or anything.

Good special, didn't feel scripted outside the end. The bridge was oddly captivating. They should have just taken over that skeet club.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Yeah, this was a hugely better special, probably in direct proportion to being less ambitious. Just the trio driving old land boats around, with some obstacles and challenges here and there. So easy to forget how fucking HUGE those cars were, and it's amazing how terrible those engines were despite being enormous.

I mean, a goddamn 8-liter engine that only produces 190 HP. A THREE-SPEED GEARBOX. The car weighed fully 2.5 tons. All of that, and the MPG was atrocious. And the burgundy. SO MUCH BURGUNDY. My car has a fucking 1.5 L engine and produces 190 HP with triple the fuel efficiency, without a scrap of burgundy inside or out.

The cars themselves were so hilariously terrible that they already gave a lot of comedy to the special.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    American engines of that era were notorious. Consider the C3 Corvette, over 400hp at one point, and later down to double digits, still from a big V8. Did they think people wouldn't notice? It really was flabbergasting.

But if my extremely limited experience driving something vaguely comparable to the Lochdown cars is anything to go by ('77 Thunderbird), I can completely understand why they fell so hard for those cars despite everything and (at least in Clarkson's case, not sure about the others in the end) decided to keep them. For all their many, undeniable, often inherent, and extraordinary flaws, they really do have bucketloads of personality. And if their rather particular, of-a-very-specific-place-and-time aesthetic appeals at all (like it does to me), they are beguilingly beautiful.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Jazz wrote: »
    American engines of that era were notorious. Consider the C3 Corvette, over 400hp at one point, and later down to double digits, still from a big V8. Did they think people wouldn't notice? It really was flabbergasting.

But if my extremely limited experience driving something vaguely comparable to the Lochdown cars is anything to go by ('77 Thunderbird), I can completely understand why they fell so hard for those cars despite everything and (at least in Clarkson's case, not sure about the others in the end) decided to keep them. For all their many, undeniable, often inherent, and extraordinary flaws, they really do have bucketloads of personality. And if their rather particular, of-a-very-specific-place-and-time aesthetic appeals at all (like it does to me), they are beguilingly beautiful.
    That’s when foreign cars started really eating Detroit’s lunch. It’s like nobody wants your planned obsolescence. Did you think you’d be able to conceal that your cars performed worst and were much less reliable? I mean American consumers are dumb, but at one point you could buy a Honda that would last 200,000 miles or more and you’d be lucky if your ford/Chevy/Chrysler would get to 110,000 before the transmission would shit the bed.

zepherin on
  • Options
    The worst part....
    That poor Charger. Like I hope they didn't have to go back and get reaction shots of Hammond. I hope those were the original ones. I can see that thought "I've just broken something very rare and very expensive that doesn't belong to me".

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    The worst part....
    That poor Charger. Like I hope they didn't have to go back and get reaction shots of Hammond. I hope those were the original ones. I can see that thought "I've just broken something very rare and very expensive that doesn't belong to me".

No worries.
    He's far more thoroughly wrecked much more expensive vehicles.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Speaking of which:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmQQO4L8TM4

That Rimac crash very nearly ruined the company.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    Half the show's budget is probably spent on Hammond's insurance.

• Options
    The worst part....

Wow - I just had to go back and skip through the episode to that part, because for the life of me I didn't remember what you were talking about. And I only watched it on friday. I think I am getting old...

Yeah, that was hard to watch.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I don't know if you can blame Hammond for that.
    If he's just driving along and the damn brake caliper falls off, that has to be on the builder. I mean, I'm sure Amazon paid for it, but I would definitely be checking all the other bolts and screws on the car again.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I don't know if you can blame Hammond for that.
    If he's just driving along and the damn brake caliper falls off, that has to be on the builder. I mean, I'm sure Amazon paid for it, but I would definitely be checking all the other bolts and screws on the car again.

Yeah, to be fair
    it was just bad luck that Hammond was driving it, that was going to happen to that poor car regardless as it turned out.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I can guarantee if I'd been driving the Rimmac up that hill I wouldn't have crashed it, but only because I wouldn't have been brave enough to take it over about 40. :P

That is a pants shittingly fast car on a small windy road and Hammond apparently has no fear of death.

• Options
    I'm watching the Boat special right now and really like it. I like it when nature throws them the middle finger and they suffer a bit for real.

• Options
    I'm watching the Boat special right now and really like it. I like it when nature throws them the middle finger and they suffer a bit for real.

The end of that one is pretty scary. It isn't if you don't understand the difference in design between flat water and open water boats, but if you do.. man.