As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I got me one of them fancy NVME drives, but now I really don't want to have to do a fresh windows install. But it has been a few years...

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    So this is what I have picked out for my new rig so far. If I wanted to overclock, what would be a good cooler to pick up? Any changes I should make? The only parts set in stone are the graphics card and PSU, which are being used in my current PC.

I'm biased but if you can get a B550 Tomahawk vs the Pro, I think it's a better board. (I love my B450 Tomahawk)

I think you can find better RAM but I can't point you anywhere at this moment.

What advantages does Tomahawk have over the Pro?

For one, according to THE LIST, the Tomahawk has a slightly better VRM, which is probably a good idea since you mention overclocking.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I got me one of them fancy NVME drives, but now I really don't want to have to do a fresh windows install. But it has been a few years...

Is Windows on an SSD already? I wouldn't bother if you really don't want to hassle with it if it is.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Then you'll thoroughly enjoy using Macrium Reflect to fully clone your drive! No fresh install needed

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

Then you'll thoroughly enjoy using Macrium Reflect to fully clone your drive! No fresh install needed

This is really helpful, since I plan to do the same thing.

Anyhow, I ordered a Tomahawk MB and a cooler. I'm gonna return the Pro board when it gets here. After that, I need to figure out the RAM. @Mugsley said I could get better RAM. Does anyone know what kind I should look for?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Is Windows on an SSD already? I wouldn't bother if you really don't want to hassle with it if it is.

Yes, but its my oldest SSD.

Is this a program? Easy to use?

Also separate question: Do SSD's go bad the more you use them to write. My one SSD has written 50 GB, and my other two have written 10 GB.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Also separate question: Do SSD's go bad the more you use them to write. My one SSD has written 50 GB, and my other two have written 10 GB.

SSD write limits was a thing many yeas ago. Now they're all good for somewhere in the 100-200 terabytes or more for higher capacity drives. Unless you're a data center writing hundred of gigabytes all day every day then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    It's a "probably not a problem, but do be aware of it and keep an eye on it" situation.

Windows (or perhaps my usage pattern) does a ridiculous number of writes and I've gone through more of that lifespan on my boot drive than I expected.

Still nowhere near replacement, but I assumed it wasn't something I had to think about. Turns out, I do, albeit over a 5-10 year time span.

50 GB written is nothing.

Orca on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah you’re going to replace your SSD due to space limitations or obsolete tech before it’ll get to end of life by reads/writes

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Another question, motherboards. B550 or X570?

Looking the pricing, I can get a top range B550 for less than a mid range X570. I know X570 is all about PCIE 4, but what else is it doing better?

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Looking the pricing, I can get a top range B550 for less than a mid range X570. I know X570 is all about PCIE 4, but what else is it doing better?

The higher end boards might be a bit better at OCing since it has an active fan for the board, but really it's mostly about the nvme slots. 550s have 1 PCIe4 and 1 PCIe 3 slot, whereas 570s have like 3 that are all pcie4.

It's probably not really worth it unless you're going for the highest end

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Spoit wrote: »

The higher end boards might be a bit better at OCing since it has an active fan for the board, but really it's mostly about the nvme slots. 550s have 1 PCIe4 and 1 PCIe 3 slot, whereas 570s have like 3 that are all pcie4.

It's probably not really worth it unless you're going for the highest end

Well, the motherboard I was looking at originally was an X570 Aorus Pro, which has 2 M.2 PCIE4 slots. But for $40 less, I can get a B550 Aorus Master which has 3, hence the question about what they offer outside of more PCIE 4 slots.

edit - seeing lots of complaints that the B550 Master is dyng after a few months of light use. So I might just stick to the X570.

That said - anyone have any other motherboard recommendations around the X570 Aorus Pro Wifi price range?

-Loki- on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm probably not going to go gigabyte again after it crapped out on me in under a year and their rma rejected it for basically no reason

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2021
    I’m open to suggestions. My only requirements are Wifi6 and 2 PCIE 4 M.2 slots.

Hmmm. Looks like the MSI MEG Unify X570 has what I'm looking for with an extra PCIE4 M.2 and is only $30 more than the Aorus Pro.

-Loki- on
    I have a X570 Unify and it's been great.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I’m open to suggestions. My only requirements are Wifi6 and 2 PCIE 4 M.2 slots.

Hmmm. Looks like the MSI MEG Unify X570 has what I'm looking for with an extra PCIE4 M.2 and is only $30 more than the Aorus Pro.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-X570-PRO-WI-FI/

I've got the X570 Plus and it has been a great board. The pro has a type-c header in place of the USB3 header the plus has and an upgrade to wifi6 as well.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    PCIE4 NVMe 1TB drive from Sabrent. $180 US on Amazon. Let me know if you want the link.

Is this a program? Easy to use?

Yes and yes

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

The site will ask you for an email address to "register" a key but they will never bug you with ad emails. And I've used the same email for multiple keys.

edited August 2021
    @Zython
    Go for sticks with heat spreaders. Also others here can say for certain but I believe the 5xxx series CPUs want 3600 speed chips.

Crucial Ballistix
    G.Skill Ripjaws, Sniper, Trident Z
    Corsair Vengeance
    (I have had good experience with all of these and currently using Ballistix)

I have heard good about Oloy and Team Group but haven't used them. They're new to the market.

Mugsley on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I second the Asus TUF Wifi board, I've been using it since release with my 3700x and it just trucks on. Nice set of features for the price as well.

edited August 2021
    Can you tell it's raining on vacation?

Super Flower 750W for under $100 US starting 05 Aug.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-750f14hg-750w/p/1HU-024C-00006

Code 83BTS2WK99

Mugsley on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I see such wildly varying reports of pre-built quality. Do these places give their techs like 15 minutes to assemble a machine?

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    @Zython
    Go for sticks with heat spreaders. Also others here can say for certain but I believe the 5xxx series CPUs want 3600 speed chips.

Crucial Ballistix
    G.Skill Ripjaws, Sniper, Trident Z
    Corsair Vengeance
    (I have had good experience with all of these and currently using Ballistix)

I have heard good about Oloy and Team Group but haven't used them. They're new to the market.

Grabbed some Crucial Ballistix. Not too much more than the sticks I picked up, so I’m in good shape. Thanks for the tips!

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    I see such wildly varying reports of pre-built quality. Do these places give their techs like 15 minutes to assemble a machine?

Pretty much, yes

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    FINALLY.

Notify popped for my 3080TI. 300 and change days after I started my GPU hunt...

So I know I said a few weeks back that my Logitech G900 was the first mouse in a very long time that I felt no need to try something else after a year. Well it took a little over three years but I really wanted to try a lighter wireless mouse with longer battery life. Enter the Roccat Kone Pro Air. I've been using a Roccat Kain 120 Aimo at work which replaced an ancient Logitech G500 and have been really happy with it, so I figured why not try their top tier wireless mouse. It's great so far. You wouldn't think 30 grams would make that much of a difference but it makes the G900 feel like a brick. The shape is just fantastic and I may end up getting the wired version to use at work.

I've got a Fnatic Dash mousepad coming on Friday to maybe replace my QCK Heavy. I bought a QCK Hard to use at work and really liked how much faster it felt. At home thought I prefer a cloth mousepad and the Dash looks to be a faster pad that still has very good control. A month or so ago I bought a Cooler Master MP511 pad and while it felt great, at 18x16, was way too big for me and my higher dpi (1500) settings. All I need is around 11x14 and even then I only use a small portion of the pad because I primarily move the mouse with my wrist instead of my whole arm. A thorough cleaning over the weekend made the QCK feel like new but I think the Dash is more of what I'm looking for right now.

I think I’ll go with the MSI MEG Unify. I like the third M.2 slot a lot.

Also the lack of RGB made me look across my build and I decided I really don’t give a shit about RGB and swapped out any RGB components for normal components and the total build price dropped around $300au.

Those lights are expensive.

Regarding power supplies - would an X570 build with a 5800X and RX 6800 XT run in a 750w power supply? I’ve been reading that you want an 850w but I plugged all my components into pcpartpicker and it came up under 650w, so I figured a 750w should do it.

Guy is selling a BNIB B550 Tomahawk for $170 and a X570 Gaming Carbon Pro Wifi BNIB for $200

I am greatly tempted.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Well, I gave it a go...
    mni2nqxz0xsh.png

Edit: " Message last updated: 9:08 AM CDT: All graphic cards have sold out"

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Can you tell it's raining on vacation?

Super Flower 750W for under $100 US starting 05 Aug.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-750f14hg-750w/p/1HU-024C-00006

Code 83BTS2WK99

This is now live.

Also FYI: Super Flower has a 10yr warranty on their PSUs

• V1mV1m Registered User regular

But that lovely Clean Install aroma! :(

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is this video card worth $999.99?
    GIGABYTE - AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC 12GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Gaming Graphics Card

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is this video card worth $999.99?
    GIGABYTE - AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC 12GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Gaming Graphics Card

No.

Will it get cheaper in the next 6+ months? No.

Your options are get it now for that price (it should be about half that) or wait ?? until it is the correct price.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    11 year old kid finds massive exploit in Neweggs mobile app that allowed him to purchase a 3090 at MSRP without a bundle. Thankfully, they swiftly patched the ability for their customers to purchase the goods they want.

edited August 2021
    And found a front panel USB connector not connected to the motherboard, along with a missing second nVME spacer and screw so I couldn’t install a second nVME drive without scavenging from my old build.

Cyber power, I am increasingly wroth with you considering the amount I spent on this build and the three months it took for you to deliver it.

Orca on
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    And found a front panel USB connector not connected to the motherboard, along with a missing second nVME spacer and screw so I couldn’t install a second nVME drive without scavenging from my old build.

Cyber power, I am increasingly wroth with you considering the amount I spent on this build and the three months it took for you to deliver it.

The things you have listed off are extensive. If you weren't already familiar with assembling a computer this would have been a nightmare customer experience.

The front panel is a problem for a novice. The rest are irritations they wouldn’t know about until they tried to upgrade or overclock (the 12V isn’t strictly needed; it’s recommended when overclocking however).

I wouldn’t say it would be a nightmare but I also do not recommend them except as a source of parts (and expect that they won’t include extra parts that come with the boxed hardware when not directly needed by the build).

I’m about halfway to just ripping everything out and redoing the build in my old case with my old PSU.

Definitely a learning experience: even the boutique builders are not great

I’m half pissed off at them for leaving the job 3/4s done and half pissed at myself for not just biting the bullet now that I know their build is not up to my standards.

You all should watch Steve's series at GN where they buy prebuilts at different price tiers and test them; then tear them apart.

The Dell desktops are.....an experience

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    You all should watch Steve's series at GN where they buy prebuilts at different price tiers and test them; then tear them apart.

The Dell desktops are.....an experience

That includes the super expensive Alienware

I can only imagine they give a tech like 20 mins to build a machine

This discussion has been closed.