As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Min/max stats: ❌
    Min/max relationships: ✅

I confess I actually did this in one run. I tried to match up people to make sure everyone had a happy relationship with a compatible person based on the supports and epilogues. Also tried to minimize general creepiness (so no pairing Manuela with any of the students, for example). It was a fun alternative challenge since with NG+ it really wasn't difficult to turn everyone into death machines.

Honestly, NG+ is basically a question of what kind of death machine you want to make people into. There's a lot of students who have excellent str/spd growths and will brutally murder anyone with anything. The real limitation is what spells they can learn, which makes it hard to do any kind of silly make Dedue a mage nonsense. (Having said that, he does actually learn Ragnarok, so...)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    i somehow only had 2 couples pair off at the end, but good news one of them ruined my attempt to save
    Lysithea. god damn it lindhart you were supposed to save her! not live a sleepy life with bernadetta and only doing anything because they literally reopened a school where you were hiding out

Yes, sadly the only way to ensure two specific people end up in a couple is to make sure they have no other A Rank supports. It's kinda dumb.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Now that I've picked a house (BE) and am a couple battles in, I'm feeling a little lost, TBH.

Fighting still feels chaotic and a little too random. I've not fully grasped the attack/counterattack mechanic, and magic seems of very little use this early, with its heavily limited charges. I did manage to squeak through the mock battle, but only by trading units (which won't work once classic mode takes effect in the real fights). Definitely didn't go in with an ideal party - wound up with no healer, and just made it by on items. Think I'm hanging out in 'normal' for this first playthrough...

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »
    Now that I've picked a house (BE) and am a couple battles in, I'm feeling a little lost, TBH.

Fighting still feels chaotic and a little too random. I've not fully grasped the attack/counterattack mechanic, and magic seems of very little use this early, with its heavily limited charges. I did manage to squeak through the mock battle, but only by trading units (which won't work once classic mode takes effect in the real fights). Definitely didn't go in with an ideal party - wound up with no healer, and just made it by on items. Think I'm hanging out in 'normal' for this first playthrough...

When a unit attacks another, the defending unit gets a counterattack (assuming it's within range* and wasn't killed).

When you target an enemy for an attack, it'll show the result (assuming all attacks/counterattacks hit and aren't blocked/dodged, and no crits) before you confirm. Use that to gauge whether or not you want to actually commit to that attack, as it gives you a general idea of not just success, but the counterattack cost against that unit.

Magic is awesome. Early on you should use it as either a finisher, or as a way to weaken opponents. Once you level those units up a bit, you'll get spells that have much larger ranges.

Non-magic units get special attacks. I think pressing X/Y cycles through them. So, be sure to cycle through them before committing to an attack in order to maximize your damage. Be aware, however, that some have less accuracy, and if they hit they may wear down your weapon durability more than a normal attack.

*If you use a ranged or magic unit against a melee unit more than a square away, that melee unit cannot counterattack because it's out of range.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Senna1 wrote: »

Yeah, magic is very good since it a) relies on your enemy's Resistance rather than their Defense, which is often much lower, b) costs no weapon durability to use, so it's free, and c) every magic user can use both types of magic, so your healers end up being decent attackers and your nukers have healing in their back pocket.

From my experience, it's the early game that's the hardest. Your units don't have a whole lot of options yet, you're using basic weapons, and nobody has a lot of HP. Once you start hitting level 10 or so, it should get a bit easier. Your team will start hitting its stride and you'll have some better weapons to throw around, plus some abilities from your past classes to help too.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    One thing to think about with counterattacks; if it's going to take two moves to kill an enemy, it might be worth waiting on the edge of their range and letting them attack first.
    They attack you, you counter, then get to attack first next turn so you only get hit once, compared to you attack, they counter, then on their turn they attack you and you counter.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    my friends want to do a draft race of fe7... so i guess i need to remember things about this game again

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Has anyone played Dark Deity yet? I love me some GBA Fire Emblem and this looks like a carbon copy.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Has anyone played Dark Deity yet? I love me some GBA Fire Emblem and this looks like a carbon copy.

I have. It's interesting.

The story isn't really anything to write home about and it has bonds but once again nothing to write home about.

But the gameplay is really solid. I will say my only issue is sometimes maps can be really long also it doesn't do the best job of explaining its weapons/armor system.

I put it on the backburner cause I wanted to wait for a few more updates and play other games but it was good at its price point.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Because I am weird, I like to look at all the new cats on the Nebraska Humane Society's website a bunch. Today I noticed a thing :3

You can name an animal by donating like $25 per name to them so I guess some Fire Emblem fan donated a whole bunch :P It made me laugh :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Fire Emblem's even made it into WarioWare now.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Wife is about halfway through her 5th campaign on Three Houses. She's done the three main houses once, the DLC, and now she's doing Edelgard again only she's going to make a different choice than the last time.
    I played with her the first Black Eagle run and we went ahead and supported her cause but this second time she plans to oppose her and see how that plays out.

When she's done, I don't know if there is anything else we can squeeze out of this game. She loves it so much and I know she wont want it to be over!

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    That's more or less all the playthroughs. I suppose you could do some of the more crazy stuff like doing a solo Byleth run on Maddening or something like that, or some other self-imposed challenge.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Claude isn't upside-down.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    This is cool. Tho I hope they diversify the move set this time.. FE Warriors 1 all the characters felt so same-y to me.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Musou is fine even if I would have preferred the next installment.

Also I hope the next one is a bit lighter. Having to kill my former friends and allies was rough let me just go slay a dragon and stop the empire right quick.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    dont like all the musuo games run like crap on the switch though? i remember reading about really bad fps drops during busy parts in zelda as well as the last fire emblem musou.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    dont like all the musuo games run like crap on the switch though? i remember reading about really bad fps drops during busy parts in zelda as well as the last fire emblem musou.

the fire emblem musou ran great... in performance mode. which they didn't include in age of calamity for some fucking reason

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i dealt with "performance mode" enough with disgaea 6. ill pass :(

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Hyrule Warriors DE seemed to run fine to me, but... well, Wii/3DS game.

Age of Calamity was much more of a trash fire, even with like a tenth the quantity enemies on screen and in battles. Pop in and texture crappiness constantly.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Also I hope the next one is a bit lighter. Having to kill my former friends and allies was rough let me just go slay a dragon and stop the empire right quick.

It always bugged me there was no golden ending where all three Lords put aside their differences for Byleth.

I put ~100 hours into Golden Deer and ~60 into Blue Lions before I just exhausted myself on Fire Emblem and never finished. Too focused on min/max best practices, I think.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I haven’t played a musou game since…ps2 ? I might actually give it a try.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

It looks like it to me from the trailer. That is clearly post-time skip Dimitri without an eye patch, potentially working with Edelgard? So it kind of looks like this might be more of a "Revelations" kind of route for the story where all three sides work together against some common enemy. This makes sense too for a Musou game since you don't wanna necessarily give players access to these playable characters and then rip them away mid-game (or force them to choose a specific house and lock out character access to 2/3 of the cast). You wanna be controlling Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude until the end, etc.

One thing I'm a bit curious about is how many characters this will have. Assuming this is a combined houses thing, they could *potentially* do every single student. That would be nuts and I kind of think they won't? But man that would be pretty sweet.

Side note - I joked to myself during the direct that the next Fire Emblem game hadn't been announced yet because IS was waiting on this one to update their engine for them :D (since Three Houses actually did use the FE Warriors engine)

• Options
    Yeah, a true-ending type route where you save everyone would be welcome.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Someone posted an interview in the switch thread with some of the developers and they stated that originally silver snow was supposed to be the “true” route but then they decided that they were going in a different direction and let players just pick whichever they prefer.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Someone posted an interview in the switch thread with some of the developers and they stated that originally silver snow was supposed to be the “true” route but then they decided that they were going in a different direction and let players just pick whichever they prefer.

That's interesting but makes sense. I still feel like the Black Eagles route was an afterthought where they were like, "Shit, maybe people would wanna side with Edelgard... umm... throw a couple maps together?"

• Options

Yeah. The problem with Silver Snow is that it fails to save everyone.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Warlock82 wrote: »

That's interesting but makes sense. I still feel like the Black Eagles route was an afterthought where they were like, "Shit, maybe people would wanna side with Edelgard... umm... throw a couple maps together?"

I’m under the impression that’s pretty much what happened .

Polaritie wrote: »

Oh I know I just thought it was relevant to the true ending discussion. Honestly the only way there could be a happy ending is if there was an alternate version of battle for gondar 2 where the three armies would be forced to unite against the very obvious very evil empire sub faction and everything diverges from there.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Oh I know I just thought it was relevant to the true ending discussion. Honestly the only way there could be a happy ending is if there was an alternate version of battle for gondar 2 where the three armies would be forced to unite with the very obvious very evil empire sub faction and everything diverges from there.

Alternatively: Make everyone sit down and talk

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I dunno, this interview seems to say otherwise
    I’d like to switch over to talking about the story a bit. In all four routes the player can go through, each story ends with Fódlan at peace, yet somehow there’s still this air of sadness. In Fire Emblem Fates, Revelation served as the all-encompassing “route” that wrapped up the games’ story. Was there any reason you didn’t make something like Revelation again?

Kusakihara: If we had created a route for Three Houses like Revelation was to Fates, that route would have definitely ended up being perceived as the “correct” route. In Three Houses, each route is its own history, and we wanted players to be able to decide that for themselves. In this game, the leaders of the three houses have their own unwavering beliefs and worldviews that are unique to themselves. We wanted to model the story and its themes after a dilemma that was grounded in reality, so from the beginning there were never any plans to make something like Revelation.

Yokota: I actually really love the big all-encompassing finales, but Kusakihara-san was so passionate about not including it we decided not to go with it. I also felt like we might just end up doing the same thing we did in Fates… I was pretty worried about it, so from the beginning I had decided I’d just go along with Kusakihara-san’s decision.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    I dunno, this interview seems to say otherwise
    I’d like to switch over to talking about the story a bit. In all four routes the player can go through, each story ends with Fódlan at peace, yet somehow there’s still this air of sadness. In Fire Emblem Fates, Revelation served as the all-encompassing “route” that wrapped up the games’ story. Was there any reason you didn’t make something like Revelation again?

Kusakihara: If we had created a route for Three Houses like Revelation was to Fates, that route would have definitely ended up being perceived as the “correct” route. In Three Houses, each route is its own history, and we wanted players to be able to decide that for themselves. In this game, the leaders of the three houses have their own unwavering beliefs and worldviews that are unique to themselves. We wanted to model the story and its themes after a dilemma that was grounded in reality, so from the beginning there were never any plans to make something like Revelation.

Yokota: I actually really love the big all-encompassing finales, but Kusakihara-san was so passionate about not including it we decided not to go with it. I also felt like we might just end up doing the same thing we did in Fates… I was pretty worried about it, so from the beginning I had decided I’d just go along with Kusakihara-san’s decision.

That kinda reads like both ideas were correct. Yokota there sounds like he was really for that, but got overruled. But I dunno :P

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I actually really, REALLY like that there is no "Everyone lives happily ever after" in Three Houses. Games can be sad and have endings where everyone doesn't win. I think it says something when that option is never on the table.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Oh I know I just thought it was relevant to the true ending discussion. Honestly the only way there could be a happy ending is if there was an alternate version of battle for gondar 2 where the three armies would be forced to unite with the very obvious very evil empire sub faction and everything diverges from there.

Alternatively: Make everyone sit down and talk

I mean if [antagonist] had decided to talk to the other characters instead of trying to kill them and dragging the entire world into war we wouldn’t have a game .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Random side note, I wonder what this game is named in Japan. Three Houses was called Seasons of War (an INFINITELY better name, especially given the literal emphasis on calendars/time passage in the game) in Japan. So Three Hopes feels out of place. But maybe it's the same? *shrug*

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Random side note, I wonder what this game is named in Japan. Three Houses was called Seasons of War (an INFINITELY better name, especially given the literal emphasis on calendars/time passage in the game) in Japan. So Three Hopes feels out of place. But maybe it's the same? *shrug*

It looks like the Japanese name of Three Hopes is the same as for Three Houses but with "Musou" ("無双") added.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m glad 3H worked the way it did but a commissioned fan fiction where things work out seems swell.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    It looks like it to me from the trailer. That is clearly post-time skip Dimitri without an eye patch, potentially working with Edelgard? So it kind of looks like this might be more of a "Revelations" kind of route for the story where all three sides work together against some common enemy. ...

I don't know if it means anything, but it's kind of interesting that in the cutscenes Dimitri has Areadbhar and Claude has Failnaught, but Edelgard doesn't have Aymr.

This discussion has been closed.