As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    My kid loudly announces to everyone when I fart

How long does this phase last

Until you loudly announce it yourself

Well the fart itself usually takes care of that

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Athena's always been a good sleeper, so hearing fast footsteps approaching our room is terrifying.

Hopefully she stays asleep this time.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

*narrator voice* She did not.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    The boy also turned 4 a few days ago (the same day as @Brody ’s Sapling, so… huh, how about that) and we went to the local fire department and they gave us a tour where he got to sit in the fire trucks and turn the lights on and hold the hose. It was great.
    ph5y1mc2c5p3.jpeg

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    It is disorienting how adorable and heartwarming that photo is.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Been a hell of a 24 hours.

Wife has had a sinus infection since Tuesday night and was going to visit a cousin in town, but when she let them know she had a sinus thing going on they told her not to come.

Then, the cousin said it was fine to come, except he didn't actually clear it with the homeowners so when Mrs Moon gets there Mrs Homeowner throws a fit away from everyone and has their Uncle ask them to leave. Mrs Moon's feelings are hurt and everyone involved feels bad about it, especially since she hasn't seen her cousin in years. No worries, though, he will stop by their Grandma's on Sunday and they can meet up then.

So Mrs Moon decides to get a rapid test just to make sure she's ok to visit Grandma and a little bit to shove in Mrs Homeowner's face for overreacting.

WELP.

After Mrs Moon's positive rapid test I went out and got one that was negative and Athena got one this morning that was also negative, so we're going to be at my parents' for the next 2-10 days while it runs its course

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    :bro: @DaMoonRulz

The number of times I've heard, "Hey Daddy..." from my three year old has gone from cute to just a screw driver stabbing at my brain.

Yeah, kid, that's great that the clouds are white.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It doesn't get any better.

Just more surreal.

I wish I had better news.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    When it comes to my kids, I've noticed something very strange in our house: when the kids are playing, talking, yelling, crying, or whatever they're doing, I hear everything and my wife hears nothing.

Like, I can be cooking and they'll be having conversations, acting crazy loud, or asking questions to us. But the wife can be right next to me and not even acknowledge anything is happening unless either, 1) they start screaming or 2) I start screaming.

It's totally fascinating and frustrating. And it's not just the kids either. If the dog starts whining, barking, or grooming herself, I just can't help but hear it.

Do I have super hearing? Am I just way more aware of my surroundings?

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    When it comes to my kids, I've noticed something very strange in our house: when the kids are playing, talking, yelling, crying, or whatever they're doing, I hear everything and my wife hears nothing.

Like, I can be cooking and they'll be having conversations, acting crazy loud, or asking questions to us. But the wife can be right next to me and not even acknowledge anything is happening unless either, 1) they start screaming or 2) I start screaming.

It's totally fascinating and frustrating. And it's not just the kids either. If the dog starts whining, barking, or grooming herself, I just can't help but hear it.

A little of both maybe. I have the same experience with my wife. I know I have good hearing, but there are times she can just tune things out and I definitely can't.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

This is @Brody and I. I can tune out everything and he can't tune out anything. I've always assumed it was because my family always had the TV on when I was growing up, and I always tuned it out. I feel like it carried over to real life ambient noise (and yes, my kid makes so much noise that it's basically background noise to me, haha). But his family didn't watch TV as much. He can't ignore it if its on.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Man, I don't know what it is, but I feel like her birthday hit some sort of switch. Unbridled melodrama, massive crying fits at the drop of a hat, demanding that I come help her calm down. It's just so much, and packed into such a small time frame.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Tomorrow I'm taking a long lunch to go flea marketing with the boy. Since Spring he's bought a Gameboy (modded), Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, GBA, 2 GBA SPs (1 modded), DS Lite, DSi, n3DSXL, NES, SNES, Genesis and N64.

I'd say he has a collecting problem but I know he gets it entirely from me. He told his mother he doesn't necessarily want every console but I do feel we're headed that way! Tomorrow we're hunting for Ocarina of Time apparently.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    First night at karate.

She spent the entire time curled up in my lap, watching.

I did get her to kind of copy what she saw while she was standing in front of me.

We will try again next week.

Last night after video chatting with mama I told Athena it was time to go tuck her in and she said "It's fine, I got this." while getting off the bed.

Then I started to stand up to follow her and she said "No, I can do it myself. It's fine. I got this." and went to her room. Of course, I stayed right next door because I wasn't sure if she was just trying to trick me. 10 minutes went by and then for the next five minutes I would hear her walk to the door, open it for about three seconds, then close the door and lay back down, rinse, repeat.

Eventually she started to get braver and would try to convince me that she was still laying in bed while other things that definitely weren't her tried going into the hallway to go downstairs. There's this shocking footage of a ghost, and one I wish I caught on camera of a 3 ft tall Homer plush that walked into the hallway, stopped when I called Athena's name, turned to wave at me, then walked back into Athena's room.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, we're at our wit's end.

We booked a Disney Cruise Staycation for next Monday which requires everyone be double-jabbed, those that aren't double-jabbed to take a PCR test and everyone to take a rapid test before boarding. So far we've gone through 20 test swabs trying to get a swab of our 7 year old's nose as a test-run. The furthest the swab has gone is about 5mm into his nostril before he has a screaming fit

We've got one shot at the PCR test as that was £71 and needs to be done early tomorrow morning so it can be sent off to the lab.

He seems to be of the opinion that he can just argue and say he doesn't want to do it and we'll give in and no matter how many times we tell him "no test, no trip" he's just stubbornly refusing

Right now he's going to "think about" whether he wants to take the test or not as my other half said it had to be done before bedtime tonight

We get a refund if any of us are positive, but we don't get a refund if we don't go because we have a stubborn child refusing to be discomforted for twenty seconds. The threat of "we'll just go and leave you" doesn't even work because to him a week of sitting in-front of the TV at his grandparent's sounds ideal and he just shrugs at missing out on the pool, waterslides, shows, ice cream, etc

I'm on the verge of wrapping him up in a blanket burrito like you do to get a cat to take its medicine but can't imagine that'll work very well trying to get the rapid test done at the port

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin

We booked a Disney Cruise Staycation for next Monday which requires everyone be double-jabbed, those that aren't double-jabbed to take a PCR test and everyone to take a rapid test before boarding. So far we've gone through 20 test swabs trying to get a swab of our 7 year old's nose as a test-run. The furthest the swab has gone is about 5mm into his nostril before he has a screaming fit

We've got one shot at the PCR test as that was £71 and needs to be done early tomorrow morning so it can be sent off to the lab.

He seems to be of the opinion that he can just argue and say he doesn't want to do it and we'll give in and no matter how many times we tell him "no test, no trip" he's just stubbornly refusing

Right now he's going to "think about" whether he wants to take the test or not as my other half said it had to be done before bedtime tonight

We get a refund if any of us are positive, but we don't get a refund if we don't go because we have a stubborn child refusing to be discomforted for twenty seconds. The threat of "we'll just go and leave you" doesn't even work because to him a week of sitting in-front of the TV at his grandparent's sounds ideal and he just shrugs at missing out on the pool, waterslides, shows, ice cream, etc

I'm on the verge of wrapping him up in a blanket burrito like you do to get a cat to take its medicine but can't imagine that'll work very well trying to get the rapid test done at the port

I mean, when my 3 year old got tested at one of our drive through sites, this is basically what happened. She was strapped into the car seat, and she very clearly was not having a good time, but also this is a health issue. Its not actually going to hurt them. The main issue is just actually holding their head still while you do it.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I mean, when my 3 year old got tested at one of our drive through sites, this is basically what happened. She was strapped into the car seat, and she very clearly was not having a good time, but also this is a health issue. Its not actually going to hurt them. The main issue is just actually holding their head still while you do it.

Yep, with my son and daughter it was "this is going to suck for a minute, then you get a candy", they were both fine with that trade.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    It may be beneficial to do the burrito method, or “I’m going to sit on you, and they are going to swab you and you will live through it” method now… and establish that when you are at the port you will do the same thing with God and Mickey watching.

Some things are just non-negotiable when you’re a kid. I hated it, and I resented it, but I can count an equal amount of experiences that 7 year old me hated and 37 year old me looks back on fondly.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Is there a way to have someone else do it? Like maybe if a testing site did it or if you have a friend who is a nurse so it's someone other than a parent who they think will cave?

You can also use the method that we had to use for young-kid eyedrops.

You sit, lightly, on their chest and hold their head in-place with your knees. Limits the range of motion, your legs and body keep their arms out of the way, etc.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Kesa Gatame for the eye drops. If they use the free arm to defend the eye drops control it and go for the arm bar to win by submission.

https://youtu.be/LCwdtyZlT7I

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »
    Kesa Gatame for the eye drops. If they use the free arm to defend the eye drops control it and go for the arm bar to win by submission.

https://youtu.be/LCwdtyZlT7I

Shit, at that point, as long as there are two of you, one of you puts the kid in a full-nelson and the other one applies the drops/swabs the nose.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    That sets you up for the suplex too which toddlers are especially vulnerable to.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    TheStig wrote: »
    That sets you up for the suplex too which toddlers are especially vulnerable to.

Dad used Tombstone!
    It's super effective!

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Spork said this is a 7 year old. Restraining a kid of that size and age is far different from doing a toddler or baby. I worry about the long term impacts of doing something like that to a kid of that age. It's not like holding down a squirmy baby covered in shit so you can clean them.

There seem to be some videos for kids on how the test works and how to go through it that might help, though they're largely set up as though your child is sick and getting tested for that reason.

Here's the one from my local Children's Hospital: http://www.bcchildrens.ca/about/news-stories/stories/helping-children-through-a-covid-19-test

:so_raven:
    Corvus wrote: »
    Spork said this is a 7 year old. Restraining a kid of that size and age is far different from doing a toddler or baby. I worry about the long term impacts of doing something like that to a kid of that age. It's not like holding down a squirmy baby covered in shit so you can clean them.

There seem to be some videos for kids on how the test works and how to go through it that might help, though they're largely set up as though your child is sick and getting tested for that reason.

Here's the one from my local Children's Hospital: http://www.bcchildrens.ca/about/news-stories/stories/helping-children-through-a-covid-19-test

Yep, we've tried watching videos, he's seen both of us do tests to each other, we've tried having other family members and even a friend try. We've given up for the day because if he even sees a swab in our hand he starts crying now

As for the carrot approach nothing is working. We've tried rewards for taking it but he's happy to do without. Even the ultimate reward of "a week away on holiday" is something he's willing to skip for the sake of not having a swab

We're going to try the burrito method tomorrow morning as soon as he gets up with the PCR test. If he causes that to mess up then we can book in to a walk-in test at Manchester airport for Friday and hand him over to some professionals. It's another £100 plus the 3 hour round trip. Woo

I have no idea what we're going to do on Monday but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Update to the training wheels off saga:

Mini-Muzz has now learned to bike and pedal!

Next Lesson: Learning how to brake, that doesn't include riding into curbs, bushes, or trees.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Update to the training wheels off saga:

Mini-Muzz has now learned to bike and pedal!

Next Lesson: Learning how to brake, that doesn't include riding into curbs, bushes, or trees.

Burpette was super quick to learn how to ride a bike. We're a year or two on and she still has no ability to use brakes and instead uses her feet. It's expensive to keep up with the shoes.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    After 7 hours of trying yesterday today he woke up, opened his mouth and let us do the PCR test with no problems at all. Tickled all 5 parts of his mouth that were required then stuck it up his nose and he was absolutely fine. Little bugger even laughed about how tickly the swab was up his nose

Sigh

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Burpette was super quick to learn how to ride a bike. We're a year or two on and she still has no ability to use brakes and instead uses her feet. It's expensive to keep up with the shoes.

We had to keep hammering on the "You can't put your feet down until you've already stopped" for several weeks until it started to click. :D

@SporkAndrew So glad it worked out!

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    So, the younger one of my kids (11) has really taken to baking these days; he's made cookies, of course, but lately stepped it up to making layer cakes:
    8UhC09e.jpg?1

bundt cakes:
    gLNbjEq.jpg?1

and cinnamon rolls (these were going to be a gift to one of his friends, so the icing was in a separate pot):
    OUIgYte.jpg?2

Today it was sticky toffee pudding. I'm still working from home so was in the basement while the baking went on; from time to time I'd check in on the way past when I was upstairs, but it seemed to be going fine.

And then I heard rather a panicked sounding "no, no, no, stop, STOP" from the kitchen upstairs.

Hustled myself up there on the double, and found him holding a saucepan with _flames_ coming out of it.

Took it from him, looked at the flames, looked in the pan and thought "it's not oil or fat, and I don't want to pour water on this if I can avoid it, so let's see what happens", and just huffed and puffed and blew the flames out, much to his relief.

It turned out that the recipe is two parts, a cake/pudding bit, and sauce that goes on top. The sauce starts off as the usual sort of thing where you melt butter and sugar together to make caramel -- but then you add cream and rum. The recipe is expecting you to mix the cream and rum before stirring them in, but what he'd done was dump the rum right onto the bubbling sugar-butter mix, at which point he suddenly had caramel flambé to deal with and was, reasonably enough, a bit perturbed.

Fortunately, blowing the flames out worked, we stirred the cream in, poured it on, and it all looks the way it's intended to.
    7VDiPXJ.jpg?2

(I did also try to explain what to do if it's a fat/oil fire, because those need a very different approach than just blowing on it..)

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    You add more oil, right? To extinguish it.

If they're going to be cooking on their own, may want to check out this or similar:
    https://us-shop.firexo.com/

They have sachets your just toss on the fire and ABCDK extinguishers.

My experience with them is a podcast guy I trust bought them, so that's about it.

MichaelLC on
    I thought you use baking soda to another a grease fire?

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Fairly sure that was a joke, but yes if it's small enough you can use baking soda, or just smother it with a lid or something.

Otherwise I hope you've got a fire extinguisher :p

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    You wet a tea towel and put that over the top of an oil fire in a pan.

The add more oil was a joke

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    A fire blanket is a good thing to have in the house in general if a fire extinguisher isn’t practical space-wise.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Guess who forgot to book his son in to nursery after his night shift? Fortunately I realised the other day and managed to get half my shift off.

Not that he'd have been able to go. He's brought a bug or virus home from the last time he was in nursery.

Covid tests are negative so far but he keeps running a temp and has a bad cough.

We've booked Friday off with the intention of him going to nursery and me and my wife going for a meal and cinema.

Hope he's better by then....

Second to last day of vacation and I'm going to just say it. It's not worth traveling with a teething infant. It just isn't. Fuck my extended family, if you want to see the baby haul your ass to my house.

It's just been constant survival mode because Hudson cries and cries and won't soothe and I'm pretty sure he's wrecking everyone else's vacation.

Ripley has been a stone cold champ though.