As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is a [Conspiracy Thread] here, and I will seek it out!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Another one that keeps coming up in crappy site security: Single page authentication. Once you're in the door they don't check your credentials anymore and if you know or can find a URL the server will give it to you without question.

Repeat after me: authentication does not equal authorization.

Shiiit, not with that attitude

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    When you hire a third year CSC student on the cheap and he pieces together his code off Stackexchange you're lucky to have either.

• Options
    edited July 2021

First couple posts in this thread are about the garbage people and swarms of bots that had early accounts, but continues with a lot of API tinkering and code digging. Looks like it does have authentication/authorization problems. For example, he was able to get OTHER PEOPLE'S mute and block lists:

So, yeah, there's gonna be more hacks I expect.

They're also just straight up scraping content from Twitter rather than doing their own stuff:

Including letting some people import their Twitter numbers to let them have more GETTR followers than there are GETTR accounts:

Hevach on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Just read about how easily and frequently Doomsday Preppers get grifted. One company mentioned listed this endless survival package with and fortified Haven (capitalized, of course) where people could hide safe from the hordes of collapsing civilization...which consisted entirely of a single house by a lake that's literally lined with lakehouses and docks. People pay out millions supposedly for bunkers and hideouts only to get fleeced, and I think it's hilarious. They think they will protect their families from the End of the World and they can't protect themselves from a con man.

It's always a grift.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Just read about how easily and frequently Doomsday Preppers get grifted. One company mentioned listed this endless survival package with and fortified Haven (capitalized, of course) where people could hide safe from the hordes of collapsing civilization...which consisted entirely of a single house by a lake that's literally lined with lakehouses and docks. People pay out millions supposedly for bunkers and hideouts only to get fleeced, and I think it's hilarious. They think they will protect their families from the End of the World and they can't protect themselves from a con man.

It's always a grift.

I do what I like to call sane prepping and the end of the world folks can be straight up unhinged. It sucks sometimes wading through the crap to find some actual useful information for an emergency situation.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Update on McAfee's suicide: he was broke, having blown all his fortune on bizarre mega-mansions that he didn't even live in. He was turning to the grift because he was so bad at handling money, which flowed out of his accounts faster than he could put it in. So, his real estate ventures being a collapsing house of cards, him being a narcissist and (my speculation) him going through weird withdrawals from all the drugs he had been making but couldn't get in jail, it's again, really unsurprising that he would suicide.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    McAfee didn't turn he was always a grifter. He bullshitted his way into software development claiming qualifications he never had and although he did legitimately create (from what we know) a pretty revolutionary program, he also fed into 90s super-virus fear mongering to scare more people and companies into buying his products.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    McAfee's wife continues to say it wasn't a suicide on twitter. Although I'm unsure if she believes this or if it is to make more interest in a book deal down the line I don't know. I read the "suicide" note but it doesn't really sound like a suicide note to me but I'm no expert on suicide notes. I'm a little split on this one. He could have committed suicide or he could have been suicided. I think he probably had dirt on people with no proof from his drug dealing, hacking days but also drugs can make you super paranoid. I think his dead man switch talk was all paranoia and bluff. I would totally read a book about his crazy life and death.

https://twitter.com/theemrsmcafee?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I can 100% believe McAffee went off the deep end with his money and killed himself, intentionally or otherwise.

I can also 100% believe that he cheated the wrong person and it finally caught up with him.

But he was just another asshole who got rich via theft and cheating people, so it's less a matter of "who killed him?" and more a matter of "who fucking cares?"

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    To the extent that there's anyone at the wheel of the veering plague ship that is Qanon, I wonder if this is an attempt by someone, or a group of someones, to make the movement seem more legitimate by taking aim at a party that's more likely to actually be guilty of what they're being accused of.

I suppose it's more likely that this is just an example of trying to burn down your neighbor's house only to see the flames spread to your own.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    The plane has no pilot. He was drunk at the wheel but he jumped out months ago. It was only a matter of time before the passengers started turning on the wolves in their own paddock when the roving packs outside keep failing to appear. The Christian-right alliance was always on shaky ground (they were already attacking the Catholics and Mormons years ago). The real sign to panic will be when they turn on somebody like Gaetz.

Hevach on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    QAnon seems to generally hate all authority figures except Donald Trump and anyone who voices full-throated, unwavering loyalty to Trump. With churches embracing at least the fringes of the conspiracy movement it was probably just a matter of time before it turned on church leaders for not being sufficiently devout in worshiping Trump. Pence was, I'm pretty sure, a hero in their weird secret war fanfiction until he failed to overturn the election and then out came the nooses and torches.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    So how's Ron Watkin's latest grift going? He started a site all about UFOs and aliens a couple months ago and posted what he claims is a UFO video he just shot from his house. No one's buying it.

We'll probably be hearing back from Q by the end of the year.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    QAnon seems to generally hate all authority figures except Donald Trump and anyone who voices full-throated, unwavering loyalty to Trump. With churches embracing at least the fringes of the conspiracy movement it was probably just a matter of time before it turned on church leaders for not being sufficiently devout in worshiping Trump. Pence was, I'm pretty sure, a hero in their weird secret war fanfiction until he failed to overturn the election and then out came the nooses and torches.

QAnon cribbed its best material off the Satanic Panic and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Evangelical churches haven't been just dabbling with this rhetoric recently, they have been slinging this shit around for almost a century.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

QAnon cribbed its best material off the Satanic Panic and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Evangelical churches haven't been just dabbling with this rhetoric recently, they have been slinging this shit around for almost a century.

Speaking of, Will Eisner (of Eisner Award fame) wrote a very good graphic novel biography of the Protocols, The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. It came out the year he died (2005) and is well worth reading.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    And if you're not into book learnin', America's new favorite podcast "Behind the Bastards" did their typical two-episode dives on both the Satanic Panic and the Protocols.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    The anti-vax extremism spiral continues towards the rejection of all medicine: They're rejecting blood transfusions now, because they can't get unvaccinated blood. They've been requesting to only get blood from unvaccinated donors, except of course nobody actually keeps track of that, a majority of blood donors would be vaccinated just by numbers, and frankly, I doubt antivaxxers can get over their narcissism long enough to think about giving their precious bodily fluids away freely anyway. So yeah, over 90% of the current US whole blood supply has COVID antibodies one way or another in it, so in order to not get magic microchips in their systems, they're refusing.

I would like to enjoy watching them die because I am completely out of sympathy for them, only I had a bandmate in school who was a Jehovah's Witness, and when he got in an accident and needed a transfusion to live, his mom refused and he died. Jehovah's Witnesses are all about killing their kids but almost always getting it themselves, and I'm sure these antivaxxers will be exactly the same.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cumbre Vieja volcano on La Palma in the Canary Islands is erupting, and social media is losing its shit.

In 2001, a simulation showed that an eruption of this volcano could trigger a major detachment event, the resulting landslide could cause a 25 meter tsunami, which the media breathlessly reported would devastate the entire Atlantic basin, because Florida and Washington DC and New York are all below that elevation. (Disclaimer: This is not how waves work).

Why am I posting this here and not in the natural disaster thread? Because somehow, some way, this has become part of Q. Which isn't entirely uncommon for disasters real or imagined, because of the Evangelical tendency to call any disaster not directly hitting themselves some kind of divine retribution. This one, however, has become part of the next Trump Reinstatement Prediction.

Just one example: white supremacist Hal Palmer has been using his radio show to explain how this eruption will wipe out the eastern seaboard (he predicts 65 million dead) and because the entire presidential succession will all die in it (because they'll gather together and all just sit there for the 4-6 hours the wave takes to cross the ocean I guess?) and Trump will HAVE to be made president this time.

That's not how presidential succession works, but also not how tsunamis work.

https://nhess.copernicus.org/articles/20/3019/2020/#&gid=1&pid=1
    q116bol7y5kk.png

It would be very bad for the Canary Islands, on the level of what happened to Barbuda in 2017. Cape Verde and the Azores could see 5 meter surge, as could parts of Morocco. The rest of the Africa and Europe peaks at about 2 meters and the western Atlantic is lucky to see even a meter - if you're swimming in Florida you might not even notice. Unless you're currently hanging out in your sunrise facing beach home in the Azores, don't listen to the Twitters.

Also, this is a very hypothetical disaster with no historical example despite the volcano being active for millions of years and erupting every 50-100 years. The 2001 study could not identify any rift zone or cleavage plane where a large amount of material could break free, but just assumed that one existed. The more recent simulation linked above follows that assumption, but also found no location or mechanism by which this could happen.

Hevach on
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    Ha, I vividly remember watching documentaries about this back in the day, they seemed very certain of themselves. :)

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Technically, it *could* happen with any volcanic island, or for that matter any island at all if a long enough list of specific circumstances happen. There's a lot of space between could and will, though. The 2019 study puts it at a 300,000 year disaster, but also notes it's definitely been more than a million years since anything like it's happened in the Atlantic basin, which is generally pretty light for tsunami activity (those deep subduction zones in the Pacific are the usual culprits in the really big ones).

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    So apparently Brietbart or something published a pro-vaccination article claiming that conservatives aren't getting vaccinated for Covid because the Left wants conservatives to die and is intentionally trying to get conservatives to not trust the vaccine by advocating so hard for it.

xfix38c2jnlw.png
    98hng9vox99h.jpg

Man, the Left sure is playing some 4D chess with this one.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So close!

By that I mean they have absolutely been manipulated, but not by "the left" but by their own media bubble.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Getting covid to own the libs is a leftist plot now. I really wish they would have singled out a "leftist" figure in that note, just to make it extra fun and to see who they think is behind that plot.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Obviously it's Soros, you don't even need to ask.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I had a friend who is pro-vax but generally conservative and pro-Trump that was pushing that.

Pointed out that the vaccine has been publicly available for like 6+ months and the mandates have for the most part only been around for two or three weeks, he didn’t really didn’t have an answer for that.

Also pointed out that any time your argument is “people on my side are REALLY FUCKING STUPID and some outside group is tricking them into self-harm” you may want to do some serious introspection as to why you are identifying with the side with all the feckless morons on it.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Nah, he's old news now. It's either Bill Gates or AOC.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

No, go crazier, it must be whoever is blasting spies with the Havanna syndrome ray

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

No, go crazier, it must be whoever is blasting spies with the Havanna syndrome ray

I'm not so sure that's not a real thing, it seems to keep on happening (maybe not a ray though)

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    You can stop guessing. It's always the Jews.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Its just politics. If Trump was president it'd be the democrats falling over themselves to not take the "Trump vaccine". This is not just a hypothetical, it was seen in the leadup to the election when it looked like the Trump admin might deliver on the vaccine with Operation Warp Speed. "trust the scientists but not Trump" "I won't touch the vaccine til they finish phase three testing" "I won't take the Trump vaccine unless it's FDA approved" "I don't trust the FDA" I'm not taking Trump vaccine skeptics' quotes and swapping it round, these are all actual things said by liberal pundits and politicians during that period of time when it looked like Trump could deliver a vaccine before the election. Politics is brain poison.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Its just politics. If Trump was president it'd be the democrats falling over themselves to not take the "Trump vaccine". This is not just a hypothetical, it was seen in the leadup to the election when it looked like the Trump admin might deliver on the vaccine with Operation Warp Speed. "trust the scientists but not Trump" "I won't touch the vaccine til they finish phase three testing" "I won't take the Trump vaccine unless it's FDA approved" "I don't trust the FDA" I'm not taking Trump vaccine skeptics' quotes and swapping it round, these are all actual things said by liberal pundits and politicians during that period of time when it looked like Trump could deliver a vaccine before the election. Politics is brain poison.

Gooseshit.

There is a vast fucking difference between people on the left being concerned that Warp Speed would overlook safety and that the FDA under Trump would be compromised - fears based on the way his Administration operated; and the crew buying out horse paste because they've been told over and over that the vaccines are harmful (by people who have themselves been vaccinated.) There is no "both sides" here, and to argue otherwise is to reject reality to maintain a false worldview.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    "I won't take the vaccine before it finishes phase 3 testing" is a legitimate complaint to boot! That's the testing required to get the original emergency use authorization.

• Options

Gooseshit.

There is a vast fucking difference between people on the left being concerned that Warp Speed would overlook safety and that the FDA under Trump would be compromised - fears based on the way his Administration operated; and the crew buying out horse paste because they've been told over and over that the vaccines are harmful (by people who have themselves been vaccinated.) There is no "both sides" here, and to argue otherwise is to reject reality to maintain a false worldview.

Exactly, because I was one of those people on the left who was concerned that we were going to be fed a fake vaccine right before the election, something ineffectual at best and probably harmful, just for that tiny boost before the election so Trump could win and then gleefully go about killing the rest of the country/world.

This did not happen. All the data (including, and especially, data from multiple places outside the US) demonstrated that the vaccines worked. There were two months from the first implementation to when I could get a shot, two months when if anything was going to go wrong with the vaccines we would know (during which time we found out about the rare AstraZeneca issues, but Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J were fine) and so I scheduled my shots as soon as I was able and got them.

I changed my mind because of the evidence. I did not make a decision based on tribal affiliation, as the right-wing does.

• Options
    Also, the first vaccine to the market wasn't on the warp speed program.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Gooseshit.

Exactly, because I was one of those people on the left who was concerned that we were going to be fed a fake vaccine right before the election, something ineffectual at best and probably harmful, just for that tiny boost before the election so Trump could win and then gleefully go about killing the rest of the country/world.

This did not happen. All the data (including, and especially, data from multiple places outside the US) demonstrated that the vaccines worked. There were two months from the first implementation to when I could get a shot, two months when if anything was going to go wrong with the vaccines we would know (during which time we found out about the rare AstraZeneca issues, but Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J were fine) and so I scheduled my shots as soon as I was able and got them.

I changed my mind because of the evidence. I did not make a decision based on tribal affiliation, as the right-wing does.

Yeah, but things did kind of break your way. I mean it could maybe, possibly have gone another way and then what would you have done?

Never believe that you are immune to misconceptions, prejudice and logical fallacies, because you are not. Nobody is. Not even me. Instead be aware of them so that you can fight them when they start appear.

There is no greater failure of reason, than the unfounded belief that one is always thinking rationally.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Gooseshit.

Yeah, but things did kind of break your way. I mean it could maybe, possibly have gone another way and then what would you have done?

Never believe that you are immune to misconceptions, prejudice and logical fallacies, because you are not. Nobody is. Not even me. Instead be aware of them so that you can fight them when they start appear.

There is no greater failure of reason, than the unfounded belief that one is always thinking rationally.

re bolded: we know, because you're demonstrating an enormous pile of them right now.

• Options
    There is a damn big difference between people having discussions and reading articles on the boards and people making their decisions based on falsified Facebook memes and you fucking well know that.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Gooseshit.

I took the first dose of the vaccine before Biden was even inaugurated, the democratic party seal of approval was pretty irrelevant.

As a side note, anecdotaly most of the people I work with who are Trump supporters had the opportunity as high risk workers to also get the vaccine when Trump was still president. None did then, most still haven’t.