As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Ascent] - Cyberpunk palate cleanser

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I played just a bit in the controller but found kbam was the best control.

I am super comfortable with WSAD isometric movement but I think it is really a personal preference thing where neither is explicitly superior.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Well shit I'll give it a shot tomorrow then!

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I think my keyboard maxes out at 2 inputs at once, so if I try to go diagonal and roll-dodge, it doesn't work.

Is this because I'm still on a ps/2 keyboard?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    I think my keyboard maxes out at 2 inputs at once, so if I try to go diagonal and roll-dodge, it doesn't work.

It's not the PS/2 interface causing that. Its the cheap hardware in the keyboard giving you only 2 key rollover (2KRO). PS/2 supports unlimited keypresses, USB supports 6KRO. You'll have to buy a better keyboard.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

It's not the PS/2 interface causing that. Its the cheap hardware in the keyboard giving you only 2 key rollover (2KRO). PS/2 supports unlimited keypresses, USB supports 6KRO. You'll have to buy a better keyboard.

It is like 20 years old. It's a dell and I haven't bought a dell since...high school?

• Options

It is like 20 years old. It's a dell and I haven't bought a dell since...high school?

I want to buy you a new keyboard.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Honky just recoiled so hard he went straight into "let me help you." mode

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

It's a tank! It still works perfectly! (other than the problem I mentioned).

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    So post data vaults I'm finding myself running mainly HCF Heat (fire handcannon) and the burst electric rifle. So many robots mixed into groups that ready access to electric damage is basically required.

I wish I could buy components, there's not nearly enough on the map and bounties aren't regular enough to count on as a source. I'd have to do the math but it feels like you only get enough basic components off the map to take 3 weapons to the advanced tier. 15 components per weapon and you probably find 50ish.

• Options
    I think my getting lost and fighting bounties helped me here because aside from the end game components I was able to take like 6 weapons up to needing them.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Is anyone playing this on Steam? I'd prefer console but I don't have an Xbox

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    As a big fan of maximalism, excessive detail, intricacy and massive scale in future/sci-fi art, this game is utterly my jam.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    As a big fan of maximalism, excessive detail, intricacy and massive scale in future/sci-fi art, this game is utterly my jam.

About this, I was really disappointed when
    you finally get to the top.

It was just boring compared to the rest of the areas.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Gave this a try on game pass. The shooting felt fine and the visuals were gorgeous. However, I ended up stuck behind a bunch of dudes that could one shot me no matter what I did. And my save kept throwing me right back into the same situation. Might give this thing another try after some patches drop. Definitely needs some polish.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Quitting to the menu and reloading should restart you in a town

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Finished the game. It was absolutely gorgeous and a fun playthrough. Maxing out all main and sidequests took me about 16 hours. Definitely had some bugs and polish issues, but very interested to see what the studio can do going forward. I actually kind of wish there were some post-campaign looter/shooter mechanics or survival mode, but enjoyed it for what it was.

• Options
    Gave this a try on game pass. The shooting felt fine and the visuals were gorgeous. However, I ended up stuck behind a bunch of dudes that could one shot me no matter what I did. And my save kept throwing me right back into the same situation. Might give this thing another try after some patches drop. Definitely needs some polish.

Yeah I've had this happen a few times. It's why I put a bunch of points in the dodge skill so I can skip around away from these skull enemies lol

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Couldn’t even finish character creation due to poor performance.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Often if you’re getting one shot you’ve wandered into the wrong area despite where the thing is pointing you. That’s what I found anyway

Overall this game is one of the most impressive visual and design pieces I’ve ever played, utterly stunning with so many fantastic little details that make the gunplay and walking around just sumptuous and fantastic. You’re constantly noticing new details in the presentation and settings that make it feel fresh and unique and compelling

However the entire rpg and loot systems are often bizarrely redundant, superfluous or broken. Why give me multiple guns when they’re all the same stats just for cash? Why give me upgrade systems when you could just nix the entire leveling system and then you don’t need to upgrade since there’s no attribute changes etc, the list goes on

They should’ve made it more like ruiner, with just abilities and guns to choose from and no levels and stats. Maybe instead of builds just have classes to choose from if they wanted to keep the coop variety

However that fundamental irrelevance of the rpg systems and their kind of superfluous jank doesn’t stop it from just being a stunning achievement of visual design, even if that amazing design and atmosphere is wasted on a non existent story

As I’ve said in other threads it feels like when a special effects wizard directs their first feature film, and it’s this gorgeous world on the screen but with a bad script and direction

Still so promising and I hope it does well, and an exciting promise about what this gen is capable of

Prohass on
  • Options
    As a piece of gear advice don't sleep on the healing grenade. Yeah it heals enemies, but if you're using something with one to two tap power that doesn't matter much and the heals are really strong. Really can save your ass in wave fights.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Preacher wrote: »
    As a piece of gear advice don't sleep on the healing grenade. Yeah it heals enemies, but if you're using something with one to two tap power that doesn't matter much and the heals are really strong. Really can save your ass in wave fights.

There’s a few boss fights too where it can save your ass cos you can run away from the boss and lead it away from the healing area so it doesn’t heal itself. But yeah parts where there’s waves and zero health are actually almost doable with rejuv field, although I still find myself saying fuck it and lowering the difficulty for some of them

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »

There’s a few boss fights too where it can save your ass cos you can run away from the boss and lead it away from the healing area so it doesn’t heal itself

I don't think I ever struggled with boss fights, but those wave fights were fucking awful, and things like the turret nade just sucked. Like sometimes they'd tank aggro, but most of the time they felt busted. The pocket mech also felt broken too which was a shame.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The wave fights are so obviously unbalanced cos every other fight is usually accompanied by vending machines or health packs scattered around, but some of the wave ones just have zero health packs and usually happen right when enemies seem to get a sudden damage absorption boost from some new defense type

• Options
    I get that they’re kind of like build checks to halt you in your tracks, and I’ve honestly played worse in games, but yeah they are much easier with rejuv. I use the shield robot dude but I’m not sure if he’s effective I just like seeing him around

• Options

There’s a few boss fights too where it can save your ass cos you can run away from the boss and lead it away from the healing area so it doesn’t heal itself

I don't think I ever struggled with boss fights, but those wave fights were fucking awful, and things like the turret nade just sucked. Like sometimes they'd tank aggro, but most of the time they felt busted. The pocket mech also felt broken too which was a shame.

I'm not done but the boss in the deep stink took me a fair few tries. The health memory aug was pretty key for getting past it
    damn spider. I kept getting rocked by eggs it'd lay outside of my field of view. It'd chase me down in a corner, I'd dodge past and start back peddling and shooting and then run into the egg spiderlings and boom.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »

I'm not done but the boss in the deep stink took me a fair few tries. The health memory aug was pretty key for getting past it
    damn spider. I kept getting rocked by eggs it'd lay outside of my field of view. It'd chase me down in a corner, I'd dodge past and start back peddling and shooting and then run into the egg spiderlings and boom.

Is that the one where there’s two spiders but you only need to kill one? So I of course whittled both down like a dumbass

• Options

Is that the one where there’s two spiders but you only need to kill one? So I of course whittled both down like a dumbass

You only had to face two copies of the boss? Lucky you. I had three spawn when I first walked into that room.

So.
    Much.
    Fire.

Fortunately they've fixed that boss duplication bug with today's patch.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Haha I had no idea it was a glitch, since it kind of makes sense in the cutscene that follows since there’s more spiders that show up

Damn I can’t find where to turn this mission in, the lost luggage one. She was in the nightclub but after I shot that up in the main mission her markers gone, or if it does turn up and I follow it it just leads me around in circles

I’ve also noticed that the codex achievements are at 0.00% of people have unlocked them, so I’m assuming they’re glitched

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ok fuck these two mechs in silo 86. Also not a big fan of having enemies that wander like a foot out of their small zone instantly getting all their health back when the entire game is built around running backwards and firing

Wtf, respawn and there’s only one and it dies in like 3 seconds. Glitch I’m guessing

Man I can already tell this final areas going to be a pain in the ass. I’m 27 and enemies are 30 but I can’t find any more side missions to easily level up. I’m assuming there’s more after you beat the game? Unless I’m missing them

Prohass on
  • Options
    Ok fuck these two mechs in silo 86. Also not a big fan of having enemies that wander like a foot out of their small zone instantly getting all their health back when the entire game is built around running backwards and firing

Wtf, respawn and there’s only one and it dies in like 3 seconds. Glitch I’m guessing

Man I can already tell this final areas going to be a pain in the ass. I’m 27 and enemies are 30 but I can’t find any more side missions to easily level up. I’m assuming there’s more after you beat the game? Unless I’m missing them

There were a couple weird rando sidequests, and like you don't ever main quest go to scrapland you have to get a sidequest that lets you even access the area and its not super obvious that's what it'll do.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I only had the one and it was bad enough. Too much range on that flame thrower.

Weapon handling is the best skill. Reloads are practically instant for most of the automatics

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I had a relatively easy time getting through the game but man fuck this last boss fight

Ok did it easily right after posting this

Going to have to look up where the last side missions are as I have rhe achievement for exploring everywhere, but still missing the door 3 cyber deck and some side missions apparently

Edit

Ah figured it out, it was the casino, it has four delivery missions and I only did one and never went back

Prohass on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I only had the one and it was bad enough. Too much range on that flame thrower.

Weapon handling is the best skill. Reloads are practically instant for most of the automatics

Lol this is funny. I killed the spider boss so quickly I didn't even actually see it, it was still off screen. I wonder if that was a bug.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I do wish this game wasn't so fucking buggy. I have like 3 or 4 side missions I simply cannot do even though they are like 7 levels below me. One is to deliver a package to someone? I have gone to the marker 3 times and nobody is there.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I do wish this game wasn't so fucking buggy. I have like 3 or 4 side missions I simply cannot do even though they are like 7 levels below me. One is to deliver a package to someone? I have gone to the marker 3 times and nobody is there.

Their appearance is gated by main mission progress. So not so much a bug as just poor design not telling you to come back later.

Like there is an early one that you need to deliver to Stimtown, but that area doesn't unlock until much later in the story. After mission #7 as I recall.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    That's so much worse than a bug lol. It doesn't help my ocd to have all these side quests and I can't do them.

urahonky on
  • Options
    That's so much worse than a bug lol. It doesn't help my ocd to have all these side quests and I can't do them.

Yeah you can get sidequests they gate you out of that you don't even know you are gated out of. Like you can have a quest to go to scrapland from going near black lake towers, but you can't even get into scrapland until you get a sidequest from stimtown that doesn't even seem like it would specifically lead to scrapland! Also Scrapland is the highest level content in the game for what its worth.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I had a relatively easy time getting through the game but man fuck this last boss fight

Ok did it easily right after posting this

Going to have to look up where the last side missions are as I have rhe achievement for exploring everywhere, but still missing the door 3 cyber deck and some side missions apparently

Edit

Ah figured it out, it was the casino, it has four delivery missions and I only did one and never went back

Spoiler for the last fight.

This is where I just used the healing nade and protector summon with spider bombs. Basically used the nade to heal through hitting the switches and ignored the enemies until my guys could clear them out.

I used snipers end game but I'm interested in what others found they liked.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I used two mini guns, one for regular and an energy one for robots. With 20 in the reload stat it was a constant stream of infinite bullets.

• Options
    For weapons near the end, I was running the Overwhelmer (explosive shell machine gun, with bonus fire damage), EBR Enforcer (energy burst fire with tracking bullets), and the MG1000 (ballistic gatling gun). I'd say the EBR is probably the best all-around weapon in the game. You get it early, it has high damage, it's electric to work just as well against bots, and of course the homing bullets means more damage on targets overall. If it had been full auto instead of burst fire, there wouldn't even be a question. The other two were a little more fun to use though.

Also liked the RPG23 (homing rocket launcher) for some boom boom since homing missiles don't easily miss like all the other unguided launchers. And the Magmamaker (flamethrower) has a fun niche in mowing down large packs of ferals in a hurry.

The Dealbreaker looked like a contender to replace the MG1000, but I never got a chance to upgrade it to see how it compared.

I generally found all the pistols and shotguns to be useless. Pistols just don't do enough damage to justify being single shot low capacity. Shotguns are crippled by their short range. However, I did have to bring out the Bitsplit to deal with the rare hacker that's immune to non-digital damage. Not sure why they only had the one weapon that did digital damage. Snipers I found the stagger actually caused me to miss too many followup shots, and they are not great when being swarmed from all directions. All the other weapons besides those above I felt just didn't have enough damage output to justify their use. They could really use a balancing pass.