As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Omeganaut Calls are Going Out Now!

Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/DeveloperMontreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
edited August 2021 in PAX West
ajor19ru24j1.png
Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
Nfan10039 on

• Options
    Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    Anyone know when they'll stop? Will they post when done?

• Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    I believe that they're still going out. I believe in past years, they've sent out a tweet saying when they're done making calls. Nothing on my end yet....

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    MaskedManMaskedMan Registered User regular
    Got the call while I was mowing a lawn.
    "Is this *NAME REDACTED*?"
    "That depends, is this Travis Eriksen?"

It's great to be back.

55ig5iyzsac4.png
  • Options
    CommanderZimCommanderZim Registered User regular
    Got the call yesterday afternoon.

Apparently all that needed to happen was going to a non-East PAX and a global pandemic for me to get Omeganaut.

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular

Apparently all that needed to happen was going to a non-East PAX and a global pandemic for me to get Omeganaut.

I'm jealous! I've been trying since like 2012 so I was hoping this year could be it. Maybe it still can be! I'm curious about how they choose though, looks like @MaskedMan has done it before so it must just be pretty random then?

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    MaskedManMaskedMan Registered User regular
    Pavio wrote: »

I'm jealous! I've been trying since like 2012 so I was hoping this year could be it. Maybe it still can be! I'm curious about how they choose though, looks like @MaskedMan has done it before so it must just be pretty random then?

It's a weird process to explain. I waited 11 years to get my first call back in 2018, and apparently what stood out about my application was the story I wrote in the "Have anything else to say?" section. Talked about how my dad went with me every year from 2007-2011 even though he hasn't given a shit about video games since his brief addiction to Galaga back in college. As a result of this, he memorized the collective discographies of Jonathan Coulton and Paul & Storm. Travis (guy who runs Child's Play and Chief Omegatech) was amused by this story, and decided to let me in.

Fast forward to this year, and I tried that tactic again, expanding the story to add what happened as a result of me being in the Omegathon in 2018 (made it to the final 4, was undone by crappy motion controls and Waluigi). Travis remembering my story combined with the fact that no one was picking up their phones (I was #18 of 19, and I got the call over 3 hours after the initial Tweet went up) was pretty much what got me back in.

55ig5iyzsac4.png
  • Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    MaskedMan wrote: »
    Pavio wrote: »

It's a weird process to explain. I waited 11 years to get my first call back in 2018, and apparently what stood out about my application was the story I wrote in the "Have anything else to say?" section. Talked about how my dad went with me every year from 2007-2011 even though he hasn't given a shit about video games since his brief addiction to Galaga back in college. As a result of this, he memorized the collective discographies of Jonathan Coulton and Paul & Storm. Travis (guy who runs Child's Play and Chief Omegatech) was amused by this story, and decided to let me in.

Fast forward to this year, and I tried that tactic again, expanding the story to add what happened as a result of me being in the Omegathon in 2018 (made it to the final 4, was undone by crappy motion controls and Waluigi). Travis remembering my story combined with the fact that no one was picking up their phones (I was #18 of 19, and I got the call over 3 hours after the initial Tweet went up) was pretty much what got me back in.

Fascinating! Thanks for explaining. I had no idea, I don't ever write anything in those except like "thank you" and I didn't realize it had anything to do with... anything haha. Good luck competing this year!

v6h3hfs2v597.png